Association Cup - WTF?

desmondo

For those who don't know me, rarely do I get emotional or upset *COUGH*

The Association Cup has been a great tournament which has allowed junior bowlers to compete in a team environment with adult bowlers. Often run over two days and in great spirit, it was enjoyed by all who competed.

When I heard that it was being broken into two events and being run around the state championships, I thought it was a bit sad but at least the tournament was still going ahead.

Having just got a copy of the junior state champs entry form, it appears that the association cup is not being run as a stand alone competition.

My understanding of the tournament is that all the associations have to do is basically have their bowlers complete an all events entry during the state champs. Essentially, the association with the highest total pinfall plus handicap for all association team entries will be the junior assocaition cup champion.

IN OTHER WORDS, YOU CAN WIN THE ASSOCIATION CUP WITHOUT HAVING EVEN MET YOUR OPPOSOSITION (NEVER MIND BOWLING HEAD TO HEAD).

Despite the entry fees for bowling in the state champs being $70 minimum (to complete an all events) and despite there being no actual tournament (and thus no additional games), there is still a $55 charge for each association (gee those medals must be amazing)..

A cycnical person might answer that the TBA is using this to artifically boost entries for the state champs. Not being a cynical person (*COUGH*) I wouldn't say that of course. However, I wonder why such a great tournament has been destroyed/dismantled/decimated/whatever.

By the way, for the joy of bowling (sorry not bowling) in this tournament (sorry non tournament) the bowlers still have to pay for their assocaition shirts.

I know of three bowlers who were going to participate in the association cup and/or state championships but are now not entering having read the entry form.

I could go on for a while but I think the rant mode is off for now. If this has been covered elsewhere and I have missed it, then please accept my apologies. Also, I know we should try to contact TBA SA first but I am frankly too astounded to try at the moment.

Also, my son will still be competing in the state champs and the association cup (if there are enough bowlers left). I am posting this because I think this is a great tournament being torn apart for no apparent reason.

Cheers from the calm, relaxed and unemotional *COUGH*
Des

Mike

I believe the Junior State Champs are at Village on the Adelaide Cup Long Weekend and the Adult State Champs are during the Queens Birthday Weekend at a venue I dont yet know.

This was decided by the State Associations due to

a) the huge costs involved in fielding teams and especially now that the Association funding has been cut. Financially it would have meant all bowlers competing would have had to pay not only for their shirts but for at least half of their bowling. Estimated costs about $1600 per team (8 adults + 4 juniors)

b) the event usually held at Easter is very close to the Junior Nationals and many Centres were finding it difficult to field teams. Also many families have other commitments at Easter.

c) there was never any head to head competition. It has always been purely pinfall + handicap.

d) As part of the Association team all members have a chance to win prizemoney and their entries to the State Championships are paid for (or at least our Association is paying).

e) It is hoped all teams will be competing in the Opening Squad of the State Championships.

f) By doing this enables an extra 2 juniors to compete.

The entry fee is to cover some of the costs of medals and prize money.

Lyn,

Firstly, let me publicly state that I wasn't having a go at you, I know the work that you do for the association and it is greatly appreciated.

I used the wrong words when I said head to head. I know it was always total pinfall plus h/c but at least everyone bowled at the same time on the same lanes and you could eyeball the opposition.

When this issue came up last night, no-one was aware that the association was paying the bowlers entry fees into the state champs, it was thought that you were paying the association entry fees. This will make a huge difference to those who were going to pull out as we all thought the state champ entry fees were going to be met by the bowlers/parents. Somehow communication has broken down here.

A bigger issue (which I admit that I haven't articulated clearly enough) is the timing of the state champs. My son is swimming in the state relay champs that weekend and this has never been a conflict previously when they were separate (ie bowling states in June).

For most parents who have kids going to nationals, they have to find another 100 or so per child just before they head away plus more if they want to bowl masters/restricted cup. Most parents associated with Salisbury have been fundraising all year and did not expect to have to find extra money just before nationals.

Salisbury rebels now have training every Sunday leading up to the nationals (another cost per week plus more time).

In March alone, my son has JYC, Intercentre, 3 days of state bowling champs, 3 nights of state swimmig relay champs, 3 formal rebels training sessions, and probably 6 additional training sessions PLUS all the normal swimming sessions that a competitive bowler has to do. On top of this he actually has school and homework and music lessons.

I know it is rare that some-one has two sports with state champs on the same weekend but this has happened here and really mucked us around.

Preparing for nationals is difficult enough without state champs just before them. Normally, the state relays are a time for him to relax (no bowling that weekend and swimming training cancelled) but this year he will be bowling all day for 3 days and then swimming at night.

Prior to putting his name in for the association cup, we checked if he could miss the friday night squad as it was a direct conflict with the swimming (which does not have the option of multiple squad times). I was told not a problem, now I find out that it is hoped that he can bowl on Friday night in his association team (hoped being the operative word), which obviously can not happen. It appears we have had another communication breakdown.

In summary, to me there appear to be 3 major issues
1. moving of state champs to just before nationals and the cost and time impact it has on bowlers and parents alike
2. Separation (break-up) of a great tournament
3. Communication breakdown (always a problem when dealing with the diverse
people involved in bowling).

DEs

Why is it every idea thats come up with to get more people to stae titles seems to annoy people and drive them away?

because the association cup was well run got plenty off bowlers filled centres and every one looked forward to it but now they have killed a great tourni

Unfortunately some centres had not supported the event over the past few years and many were struggling to find teams especially juniors and with the cuts in TBA memberships and funding meant bowlers would had to pay to compete which would have made things even more difficult.

that would be because of the lack off info getting out to the the people tring to get these teams together having try chase the the info all the time

we have already seen one tourni gone this year no info given out not organised so it got posponed hmmmmmmmmm

The associations are grumbling because of the cost involved with the Associaition Cup, well whatever happened to the go ole Fundraising exercises these associations could be running to cover the so called extreme costs???

Yes, yes I know before you say it. It all takes time and effort and organisation (cough cough!!!). Sorry, I almost chocked when saying that.

Instead of the association footing 100% of the bill they should be getting the bowler to pay some part of the cost. I know Noarlunga has done that in the past. I think from memory they supplied the shirts but then the cost of bowling was broken up evenly between the bowlers bowling. ($900 between 12 bowlers, not bad cost for about 10 - 15 games of bowling!!!). Along with some fundraising by either the bowlers or the assocation(s) the cost of the tournament can be reduced.

I can say that I was looking forward to this tournament this year but unfortunately with the changes they have made I can't be bothered with it.

Why change something that isn't broken and brought bowlers into the centre??????

Just my 2 cents worth (recharged back to the association if they can afford it!!).

DAVID

One thought here, and I am not for or against anything that has been said.

When there is a change like this or someone comes up with a new idea why not throw it around on a forum somewhere and see what is said before just doing it? It could be here or the TBA site but at least there will be feedback before it happens. If there are legitimate issues then maybe they can be addressed. Who knows, people might even like the idea that has been come up with.

I know you can't please all the people all the time but it would at least give them a chance to have an input.

Wow, what a sad day. Even though I quit a year ago, I have some great memories of winning the Association cup for the Village as my first ever tournament... defs crap

Back
Top Bottom