TBA SA AGM

strop

Elite Athlete
Well the meeting was held I believe.
How did it go?
Anything new arise that us little people might be interested in.
How many people attended to support our local State body?
And while we are on it, how many entries do we have for Rachuig.
Do we have enough bowlers to make both Rachuig teams?
If not, and they decide to take nominations, do they have had to have bowled all events in the recent state titles.
All interesting questions I wouldn't mind knowing as a paying customer of the state body.
cheers
Tony

I was told the only people able to attend or eligible to vote at the AGM's are the centre association reps.
I heard they only had 5 turn up. Which obviously isnt enough to hold an AGM.
Pretty piss poor turn out really.

If that is the case Rob it is no wonder the TBA is screwing things up.

Any paid up member should be able to attend and/or nominate for the board. This is just another thing which reeks of manipulation.

The chain of notification should be from TBA to centre management, to league secretaries, to registered and financial league bowlers. Then we would get fair representation on the board on behalf of the bowlers.

Yeah, agree totally Max. Pretty **** poor if the Centre Association Reps cant even get off there Arses & attend the AGM. Why bother doing the job if there going to do it 1/2 arsed.

The AGM is open to all bowlers to attend but the Centre Reps are the only ones entitled to vote. However there was a forum following the AGM at which all bowlers were able to attend and express their views. Unfortunately no bowlers other than the few centre association reps were there. I know that the AGM notice had been on the Notice Board at Salisbury since mid January - a good 8 weeks prior to the AGM. I can only assume that other Centres were the same.

The AGM is open to all bowlers to attend but the Centre Reps are the only ones entitled to vote. However there was a forum following the AGM at which all bowlers were able to attend and express their views. Unfortunately no bowlers other than the few centre association reps were there. I know that the AGM notice had been on the Notice Board at Salisbury since mid January - a good 8 weeks prior to the AGM. I can only assume that other Centres were the same.

This is where it is all wrong.........

Bowlers can attend, but can't vote - that is the quickest road to manipulation of appointments. As paying members, we should be entitled to a vote as to who is going to be representing us. A forum means absolutely nothing after the fact........

Notice boards.......let's face it - who reads them? Maybe we should, but the simple fact is very few people do. Therefore, there has to be a better way of getting the message across. Slightly off track, but this is one of the main reasons why tournament entries are down in SA too. Centre managers should be provided with all this information to be handed out to league secretaries who then distribute it to EVERY bowler in their league.

From experience, I have been involved with sporting clubs all my life and it is a proven fact, the ONLY way to get through to every member is to write to them all - give them something to read and consider rather than hoping they will go to some obscure place to find out what is going on.

Out of interest, who is the new committee?

Max

Max I think the committee is the same ? I am sure someone can post that knows.

Have to agree with Max on this.
Let go back to the old agm style and for that matter the old way of everything finacial run bye the state body with centre rep and AGM's where all matters can be vote on by all that are financial members of the TBASA.

Too many decisions are made by too few people these days.

There was a time once where these people elected where there for the interest and benefit of the people who are financial members.

Not the case these days?

These are the ones who hate people coming on here and saying negative things re South Australia and making it sound like a backward state.

I think there doing a good job on there own with that.

Cheers

Tony

Also Rachuig, I have heard there is at least 18 men and 5 women trying out for rachuig.

Pretty poor effort on this.

Any reasons behind this.

If only 5 women bowling are nominations going to accepted?

Will they have had to bowl state titles?

I will be watching with great anticiption to see who nominates and who gets in!

Once again if you need more male nomination I am still available to bowl, even thou I didn't state titles, but lets face it , it's only state title , not important really or is it!

cheers

Tony

Max
You have got to be kidding about giving entries to league secretaries to give to every bowler. League secretaries were given flyers to give to each bowler with their TBA application form at the beginning of the year. How many of you got them.... I doubt very many. Also all league secretaries were given flyers for our Centre association AGM in March and asked to advise all league members. How many were told ... judging by the turnout not many.

A notice board is there for a reason. To give bowlers who are interested in tournaments and TBA matters the information and entry forms. These are usually also copied and available at the desk. If not just ask the staff on the desk and they will copy for you - no problems.

With the entry forms I received in January for AGM notice, state champs, junior nationals, TBA senior, Rachuig and Youth nominations. If I copied these alone and gave to the league secretaries there would have been over 40 pages per bowler x 400 odd registered association members = 16,000 copies @ 5 c per copy = $800 just for these entries alone let alone Association Cup, local Tournaments, National and interstate events for juniors, seniors, open, restricted...... where does it stop. And these are just our bowlers registered at our Centre - what about bowlers who are registered at other Centres - would they also want our league secretaries to give them copies as well. Remember your Local Association secretary, treasurer and executives receive no remuneration. It is entirely voluntary and I for one do not intend standing at a copier doing 16,000 copies, collating these, lugging to the bowl and giving to league secretaries to give to each bowler, the majority of whom do not want/need or have already the documents.

And Rob remember we are not doing a job and the definition of a "job"implies you are being paid to do the task. At our AGM I didn't see anyone putting up their hands to volunteer their services to help run the association. Any volunteers???? You lose time on weekends, can't bowl some events due to attending TBA meetings or running tournaments, have to continually chase league secretaries to provide information to you ie end of May and November averages, list of league bowlers and membership numbers etc (and they are being paid to do their duties) and spend quite a bit of time collating information, copying tournament entries and TBA notices, processing membership forms (especially early in the year) and what do you get in return - absolutely nothing.

Max
You have got to be kidding about giving entries to league secretaries to give to every bowler. League secretaries were given flyers to give to each bowler with their TBA application form at the beginning of the year. How many of you got them.... I doubt very many. Also all league secretaries were given flyers for our Centre association AGM in March and asked to advise all league members. How many were told ... judging by the turnout not many.
A notice board is there for a reason. To give bowlers who are interested in tournaments and TBA matters the information and entry forms. These are usually also copied and available at the desk. If not just ask the staff on the desk and they will copy for you - no problems.
With the entry forms I received in January for AGM notice, state champs, junior nationals, TBA senior, Rachuig and Youth nominations. If I copied these alone and gave to the league secretaries there would have been over 40 pages per bowler x 400 odd registered association members = 16,000 copies @ 5 c per copy = $800 just for these entries alone let alone Association Cup, local Tournaments, National and interstate events for juniors, seniors, open, restricted...... where does it stop. And these are just our bowlers registered at our Centre - what about bowlers who are registered at other Centres - would they also want our league secretaries to give them copies as well. Remember your Local Association secretary, treasurer and executives receive no remuneration. It is entirely voluntary and I for one do not intend standing at a copier doing 16,000 copies, collating these, lugging to the bowl and giving to league secretaries to give to each bowler, the majority of whom do not want/need or have already the documents.
And Rob remember we are not doing a job and the definition of a "job"implies you are being paid to do the task. At our AGM I didn't see anyone putting up their hands to volunteer their services to help run the association. Any volunteers???? You lose time on weekends, can't bowl some events due to attending TBA meetings or running tournaments, have to continually chase league secretaries to provide information to you ie end of May and November averages, list of league bowlers and membership numbers etc (and they are being paid to do their duties) and spend quite a bit of time collating information, copying tournament entries and TBA notices, processing membership forms (especially early in the year) and what do you get in return - absolutely nothing.

Lyn

I can understand the workload involved, and believe me - the work that is put in by so few is enormous. But therein lies the problem - it is by so few.

I am quite serious about league secretaries being given that responsibility. They are there for the league members in more ways than collecting scores & bowling monies and organising Xmas functions and trophies.

There is also no reason why every bowler should have got 40 odd pages, I for one would not be interested in receiving junior nationals, TBA senior (not quite yet anyhow:( ), Rachuig or Youth stuff. But I would be interested in receiving what is appropriate to me, ie TBA AGM, restricted info, local tournaments - therefore, it is horses for courses. As far as 5c per page goes, I ask why? Surely TBA has a quality photocopier which can produce them at around 1c each, if not - why not? That some copier could produce any number of forms without having to have someone stand over it, and automatically collate them in the process.

I do appreciate association executives are voluntary and receive no remuneration, but what some of us are getting at is the "job" is only getting half done for what is needed. If it means paying someone to do the work is what is needed to get things done, then let's do that. This is where people with some kind of business and marketing skills are required - if cost is a factor, why not approach someone to help offset that cost? I can think of an easy way to do that...............

I am not having a go at those people like your good self who put the hard yards in, moreso having a go at the lack of system and structure. There are people around who have the necessary skills and experience who are willing to put their hand up to help (and have done so, I have all the emails), and have been knocked back by TBA. Why, I don't know - maybe because their input could be so significant it could upset some of those so tenuously perched on their roost of power.

What we need in this state's administration is a number of people who have the necessary skills, who can delegate and follow through, and can look outside the square.

Your arguments as quoted are very sound due to the current administrative structure, however, under the current system we are going to be left in exactly the same position as we are now - poor decisions, lack of decisions, poor direction and a tournament/representative team system which leaves us behind many other states.

We must advance, unfortunately where we have so few people contributing and those who are in a position to contribute either being denied the opportunity or unaware of important events such as the AGM (and then as members not being able to vote anyhow), we are behind the eight ball.

Max

Why would anyone put their hands up to run this sport in this state? Legends of bowling in SA with nothing to do but shoot you down - this is absolutely ridiculous and shameful.

To those who do put their hand up, please understand that the majority of us appreciate your efforts even though we may not always say it openly.

I don't get involved in the running of bowling in SA because of two reasons. Firstly I just don't have the time. Secondly, why on earth would I waste my time, effort and business reputation with the knowledge that I will receive comments and suggestions like in this thread?

If you want to help, help!! Otherwise don't keep going publicly at those who are trying (I wonder why these messages are not being made by PMs?).

It must sure be easy to look at the world through warped glasses from the comfort of your computer chair. GIVE THEM A BREAK AND SOME SUPPORT.

Des Wragg

Three cheers for Des!;)

go figure why so many people don't last long even when they do put their hand up to help!!!

Thankfully I have a new career now!

Since when has this come back to the hard working people out there.
Just member I thing, Nothing has changed in over 30 years of SATBA or TBA or whatever you want to call it. The only real paid person was the Secretary and all the vice-president, centre directors, state commitee adult and junior WERE NEVER PAID, they did it for the love of the support and sometimes personal satisfaction.
Some of US have already served on these committees for years!!!!!!
I would love for all the helpers get paid for the job their doing, if it's done right!
I don't it's the Issue here, is it!!!!!!!
Also many a time I have seen Dictators try to run this organisation with there little Kronies all coerced in one way or another.
People on committees are there elected by it's members to try to please everyone or should I say the majority. Not always possible but thats life.
Many people especially certain committee folk take offence to the so called elite in this state, and they think what they decide is the best for them.
WELL IS IT!!!!
What background do they have in this. What consulantancy is being done between both parties or do they just make the rules by themselves and stiff to everyone else.
Feed on that!
Cheers
Tony

To those people are complaining about the AGM I went to it, if people looked on the State Calender you would have seen it for your self.
As a bowler and coach i wanted to be there to see what there have say above what is going on in this State, also there are looking for a State Secretary and Grants Officer so if those people want to help out put our name or put up and shutup

Paul
Bowler/ Coach

League secretaries were given flyers to give to each bowler with their TBA application form at the beginning of the year. How many of you got them.... I doubt very many. Also all league secretaries were given flyers for our Centre association AGM in March and asked to advise all league members. How many were told ... judging by the turnout not many.

Lyn,

It's obvious the current system isnt working judging by your comments above and the response you had to the AGM.
Their needs to be some serious changes if league secretaries arent passing on the information they are suppose to be passing on.

And Rob remember we are not doing a job and the definition of a "job"implies you are being paid to do the task.
At our AGM I didn't see anyone putting up their hands to volunteer their services to help run the association. Any volunteers???? You lose time on weekends, can't bowl some events due to attending TBA meetings or running tournaments, have to continually chase league secretaries to provide information to you ie end of May and November averages, list of league bowlers and membership numbers etc (and they are being paid to do their duties) and spend quite a bit of time collating information, copying tournament entries and TBA notices, processing membership forms (especially early in the year) and what do you get in return - absolutely nothing.

I thought it would have been pretty obvious that if you put your hand up to be on a Committe or an Association Rep you would know what is involved in holding that position when accepting the position. And I would have thought 1 of the most important ones would be attending the ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING.

It seems most TBA(SA) members didnt even know about the AGM by the responses and lack of numbers that turned up.

Yes, I know, from personal experience, as do numerous other people that volunteering for these committee's take up a lot of your time. But if your not prepared to do the work or dont have the time available to give 100% by attending these meetings as required, dont put your hand up.

Thanks for clearing that up Lyn. As I said, I was informed that only Reps were allowed to attend. That was from a centre Rep. Where and how was this Forum advertised, as this is the 1st ive heard of it.

I might be wrong but I didnt see the AGM or Forum advertised on this site. With all the TBA Committee & Reps that post on this site I would have thought this site would be a perfect spot to keep people informed of such events. As the State Champ & Rachuig entrys were.

Also, you should never assume others centres are doing the same thing. You know what they say about assuming.

Des,

What is the problem with holding people accountable for the people they are representing.
Its obvious people were ill informed about the AGM & Forum that was held & a few people want to know why the poor turn out. Not much good having a go at the bowlers when there not informed when you cant get more than 5 TBA Committee & Association Reps to the AGM.

go figure why so many people don't last long even when they do put their hand up to help!!!

Maybe its because they realized they were in over there head.

Rob,

There is nothing wrong with holding people accountable. However, it often reads like people enjoy finding things wrong and shouting this to the world.

It is not the raising of the issues, it is the manner in which it is done. Or have I misinterpreted a series of posts/threads by a number of people over time?

Your last post to Lyn was well balanced and reasoned and did not seem be "attacking" anyone, it was just good constructive criticism.

Des

Back
Top Bottom