SA Sports series

Andrew K

as per discussions in the other thread I’m just wondering if a sports series such as the eastern states were to be organized how many people would be willing to bowl in it.

Singles
Open to all ages
Between $60 - $80
8 - 10 games
Different centre every month

Prize fund I’m not sure of depends on what you could get for game rate

If we could get say 25 bowlers at $60 you would get a prize fund of around the $500 prize fund per month

possibly a cheaper option to bowl the games but not have access to the prizefund

how many would be interested in this and is it worth pursuing

prizefunds maybe start with 1 to 5 payout and as you get more people increase the number of payouts rather than the amount of prize fund

sorry to say i dont think you will get the numbers to even start this out of 25 bowlers you can only maybe offer the top 3 or 4 there money back out of 25 bowlers you wont get the starting numbers with this . you need to re think this . if you wont this to happen

just depends if you write it off that quickly then no it won't work but you can get a massive prize fund with out jacking the cost up, if people are willing to pay the $100 a month then fine but i don't think many would

even if you went like youth circuit and only paid top 3 after a step ladder play off

rather than saying it won't work why not offer some suggestiongs as to what you think would

think if 25 bowlers can offer $500 what could say 50 plus sponsorship have as a fund but you do have to start small

just depends if you write it off that quickly then no it won't work but you can get a massive prize fund with out jacking the cost up, if people are willing to pay the $100 a month then fine but i don't think many would

even if you went like youth circuit and only paid top 3 after a step ladder play off

rather than saying it won't work why not offer some suggestiongs as to what you think would

think if 25 bowlers can offer $500 what could say 50 plus sponsorship have as a fund but you do have to start small

i am saying this for your own benifit you have been down this road before and it did not get off the ground you need to change the way you are trying to do this does this ring a bell mate

your thread go back and read through the response

Having see micheal s thread i've got a question for alot of the tournment bowlers out ther .

why do alot of you only bowl for prize money?

when we tried to start a low cost circuit at the start of the year with maybe $40 prize money for high game, series, and first second and third

nobody wanted to know about it, only the woodville bowlers turned up

then all of our supposed elitle bowlers supported youth circuit which was tripple the cost and nearly tripple the prize fund

what is wrong with bowler for the day and getting your money back and supporting something that in the long run will get people back in to tournment bowling. Most junior bowler and their parents don't want to go straight to a $60 or $100 per entry tournament they want the lower cost ones where people can get their feet wet without having to mortage the house. alot of youth bowlers are the same, If you want more elite tournament bowlers they have to start somewhere and at the moment there is no support from our elite tournament bowlers in the base of tournament bowling. you can't just expect people to turn up to sa cup without having ever bowled in a tournament

personally don't bowl the big money tournaments since i can't afford to donate to the prizefund but i can afford to bowl lower cost events but then there is no competition as the big name bowlers elite refuse to turn up

so i ask again

why do alot of you only bowl for prize money? is that all you care about or is there something else i'm not seeing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Andrew K : 10-07-2007 at 02:02 PM.

yes it does but look at how many turned up to the big cost tournments and tell me that i haven't got a vaild point

well.. I don’t see this happening... sorry to say...for starters... Will Non kegel Centers be able to put lay these PBA/Sports patterns?

There are only (correct me if im wrong) only 2 centers with kegels.

Do the Techs at Woodville even know how to use the machine?

Price money.

PEOPLE WANT SOMETHING FOR THERE MONEY! Not just ****ty trophies.

The JYC Is Jumping in leaps and bounds, Dion has been working his ass off this year, I hope someone can take it over form him, as he will be in Japan next year (lucky bum). Cause it is a great once a month tournament for the Jun/Youth.

I would love to bowl in a PBA/Sports pattern series and Encourage the Jnrs and youth to bowl and gan experience, so when they do go interstate to tournaments, they will be prepared for what they maybe facing.

If it would get off the ground, I would be there supporting it as much as I can!

Ashley

i'll be looking into the pba sports pattern problem when i see the techs next hopefully we can get it off the ground if we can get 20 - 25 interested bowlers then we'll definatly take a run at it

and yes there will eb prize money probarly around the $200 mark for first

48 bowlers…………………………36 bowlers
1...$350………………………………1...$300
2...$255………………………………2...$215
3...$200………………………………3...$170
4...$180………………………………4...$150
5...$165………………………………5...$140
6...$155………………………………6...$130
7...$140………………………………7...$120
8...$130………………………………8...$110
9...$120………………………………9...$100
10.$105……………………………..10...$90
11...$95……………………………...11..$70
12...$90………………………………12...$65
13...$75………………………………13...$60
14...$70………………………………14...$55
15...$65………………………………15...$50
16...$60………………………………16...$45
17...$55………………………………17...$40
18...$50.…………………………….18...$35
19...$45
20...$40
21...$40
22...$35
23...$35
24...$35

The above 2 formats are 8 straight games with entry at $90,with some high game prizes.

The one below is based on 24 bowlers bowling 6 games straight with a entry fee of $80.

1...$240
2...$200
3...$170
4...$140
5...$120
6...$105
7...$90
8...$80
9...$65
10.$55
11.$45
12.$35
This as you can see is a 1:2 payout.

The game rate is worked out at $4.

24 bowlers @ $80 =$1920

24 bowlers @$24 per 6 games =$576

$1920-$576 = $1344.

prize fund totals- $1345.

Sponsor required for $1.00

What ya think,could this be a goer.

I believe we now have 3 Kegal machines in S.A.

WOODVILLE , SALISBURY , and NORWOOD .

and yes Ashley the Tec's at Woodville are very capable and willing to help.

Also i believe you would only require 4-5 events per year.....trying to find dates for anymore would be a nightmare.

Cheers

Paul K.

Well hear would be another problem why would you have 1 every month why not 1 every 2 to 3 months that would be easy for everyone aswell.

Max,
That plan pays way too deep Paul.
Paying 1:2 only builds mediocrity.
Max

I thought we were struggling for bowlers!!!

What i was trying to achieve is a payout that would entice a larger proportion of the bowlers available here in S.A.

By paying so deep,i would have thought that the bowlers that would like to test themselves and not just be "DONATORS" (as some have called it) would come and try.

Cheers

Paul K.

i think its a good idea there is another centre that has a Kegel Machine thats ingle farm but i wouldnt hold a tournament there as the techs dont know how to use it or they are are using canola oil instead of lane oil because the lane conditions there are crap unless your a straight bowler then your loving it

A series like this is already in the planning.

We are travelling down the same path here Andrew..... Just another thing, I plan on having my series TBA accredited, have you consulted TBA(SA) for the same purpose?

There seems to be a little bit of interest in this thing, and a judging by my post a ouple of months ago, and also this one, there is a need for this.

Payout structures and the like......well that's always sorted on the day. Until then, I believe it's generally 1:3

I hope (if not my series) this goes ahead, it would fill a HUGE void in SA Tenpin.

Andrew

In regard to the question of why elite bowlers bowl for prize money. Well like peanut said it is a matter of getting something for your money. And money is more valuable than a trophy that will sit on the mantle piece forever and a day.

Whilst I can't speak for every elite bowler (and I'm not). I have entered tournaments such as SA CUP or the Melbourne Cup, etc not for the prize money but to more so test how well I would go against some of the better bowlers of the country. I like the idea of wining a big prize fund as it makes for a free trip (no cost in accom, bowling, flying, etc) but then that is only if I won enough money.

In regard to a sports series here in South Australia, i think it would be a great idea and I would where possible try and support it if one got up and running in the future, however:

If something like a sports series is to take off, it can't be done by one person alone as there would be too much work to do. Also there needs to be some research done towards what works and what doesn't work, look at other states at what they do, attend a JYC tournament and get pointers from the touranment committee, etc.

If a sports series is going to get off the ground then try not to be too big too quickly. What i mean by that is don't base the prize fund on 50 bowlers don't offer huge prize funds just to get people to bowl. Start small like basing a tournament on 10 to 15 bowlers, have a small prize fund of top prize being $250 or something. As interest builds, the number of bowlers will build in entering the tournaments as will the prize fund, maybe do the homework and slowly build the sponsors for the tournament, find out from bowlers what they want and don't want even the ones that don't enter the tournament, etc. Over time there should be a really great series here in SA and may even attract interstate bowlers.

Just my thoughts.

THANKS

DAVID

Back
Top Bottom