Spares & Strikes Jackpot--Is it Sandbagging?

Mrs P

Beware the sleeping Tiger
This question was asked of me over the weekend by a well known & high profile bowling official...Asked for my opinion...

I could not answer the question but it made me think seriously about the legality of sandbagging.
Does your centre have STRIKES & SPARES JACKPOT?

Okay, to get the strikes in the designated frames is one thing. This means you have to bowl to the best of your ability.. Fantastic if it all comes together and you win the $$$$ on the board.

What about the SPARES jackpot?
Designated frames for spares....Does this mean that the bowler/s will try for the strike and succeed in having a personal best game/series or SANDBAG to achieve the spare. Thus bringing said bowler/s average down. Over a period of several weeks this could lower your average by as much as 4-5 pins.
All for the sake of some $$$$$.

What do bowlers want? The $$$$ or to be known as an reliable, fair & honest bowler. If you win the SPARES Jackpot honestly, we congratulate you.

Please tell us what your thoughts are...We are intrigued as to your answers.

I may not have worded this thread to the best of my ability but I trust you all have the idea.

Regards
Mrs P.

You have to be kidding dont you. Normally the strike and spare jackpots are bought on the side as a bonus to bowling every night. To win the strike jackpot, usually you have to bowl very high for the night to get close to it.
It would seem that someone is clutching at straws, in my opinion.

Regards Mr H

This is just my humble opinion, but I don't think in the majority of cases it could be construed as "sandbagging"......there are a lot of bowlers out there, me being a prime example, who are quite capable of sparing 98.5% of the time, but don't always have the ability to consistently string together enough strikes to take out the strike jackpot. If I had that ability I wouldn't be a sub 180 avg bowler. :rolleyes:

I know that every time I get on the approach I aim for ten pins in one shot - and just because I get 8 or 9 doesn't mean it was done deliberately to give me a chance to pick up the jackpot, which by the way, I very rarely enter anyway.

I for one would be very happy to have 10 frames of 9/, this would increase my average, not decrease it ;)

Most centres have their nights when it doesn't matter how flush the ball hits the pocket, there is no carry, and the 10 or 7 pin just sits cold.....and perhaps it is for those nights that the spare jackpot is the reward?

Sandbagging…No far from it…

It’s a form of gambling perhaps, and should be more of it…We need to start getting bookies running at these events…More gambling in our sport the better...

I know of at least 15 people that would bet on anything in our sport whilst on the lanes…

I think that if people are managing or trying to manage 1 frame in a game then that’s not sandbagging…Sandbagging in our sport is when you actually manage or try to manage your average by quiet a few pins a game…Sandbaggers normaly shoot consistently 20-40 pins over average over say 10 games every time they walk on the lanes…

So my answer in NO…

Yes it is sandbagging.

If you arent stepping up to the plate with the full intention to score your highest every shot, you are sandbagging.

My belief is that they are bought as a bonus throughout your league games. I know that Brad and Dad regularly bought the strike and spare jackpots and did not even look at the sheets until the end of bowling. They would get a print out at the end of each game and then check of their jackpots. If they won BOOYEAH if not "Better luck next week"

I think looking at the sheet and specifically trying to bowl whatever is required strike/spare puts alot of pressure on you. Good luck if you can pull it off!!!!

I don't believe it is sandbagging. Not when people who have well established averages of 210 -230 start leagues off on a 190 average **THAT IS SANDBAGGING"

Rachel

Do correct me if I'm wrong but spare jackpots only require you spare a certain number of frames each game. The rest of the game you can bowl your normal shot and get your strikes. At the end of the game it should still be near your established average etc because you have closed a very large majority of your frames and consequently your average should NOT drop.

Anyway once you stuff up one of the frames you were required to spare, you just goes back to bowling normally because you can't win the jackpot for that week.

Just my thoughts
Craig

I don't believe it is sandbagging. Not when people who have well established averages of 210 -230 start leagues off on a 190 average **THAT IS SANDBAGGING"
Rachel

So does that mean that I "sandbagged" when I filled in at Cannon Hill for a week averaging about 170, when my averages back home are 210+??

I can tell you I was trying that night. Everyone has a bad night every now and then, its those who maintain such a average that cause the most concern.

As for the spares jackpot, maybe that should be an encouragement for new juniors coming through the ranks, or bowlers of a lower average. I don't think bowlers of a 190+ standard should be allowed to enter as it does promote "sandbagging"

Back
Top Bottom