Scoring Idea

bfcc

After watching a lot of bowling it seems that bowlers have lost the art of sparing, not sure if it's to do with the easy conditions that let bowlers throw a heap of strikes each game or just that bowlers these days don't think sparing is an important part of the game.

So lets make sparing as important as striking - i suggest we change the way we score bowling. Every time u miss a spare the next frame starts as a gutterball and if u then bowl a strike it only counts as -/ , if u bowl a 7 it counts as -7 your next frame goes back to normal.

It's just a thought and would be interested with any other idea's people may have.

Would that then mean on every shot after a missed spare, that you get a miss for the first ball, then you are forced to knock down all ten pins on the second ball, or that means youve now missed another spare and you will get a gutter on the first ball of the next frame ? So what you will be doing is teaching people how to throw at a full deck after giving them a miss and if they dont get all 10 down (effectively a strike) they get another miss. And another shot at 10 pins.

Confused yet ? :roll: :shock: :roll: :shock:

after u miss a spare the next frame starts with a gutterball as a penalty for missing your spare, the next frame goes back to normal.

Make an emphasis on being able to strike, while trying to make sparing the emphasis...
Can't see it working.

Later Da Cowman!

bfcc said:
after u miss a spare the next frame starts with a gutterball as a penalty for missing your spare, the next frame goes back to normal.

There is already a penalty for missing a spare but...

There is already a penalty for missing a spare but...

To be technical, its the other way around. You get a reward for making the spare, not a penalty for missing it. Same as you get an even better reward for striking, as compared to sparing.

Later Da Cowman!

what if you drill a perfect shot in the pocket and leave a 7 - 10 split - why should you be penalised by starting off with a gutterball next frame.

this idea sounds ludicrous!!!!!!!!!!!

Have to agree with buzzer on this one as well, it is a bit of ludicrous idea (but its the thought that counts :? ) That would be like telling someone who had just shot 300 to play the next game with a house ball. You can't penalise a bowler for missing spares, every bowler misses them!
Maybe if people are having trouble shooting simple spares like 9 & 10 pins, they should look at investing in a plastic ball and having it drilled straight. (It worked for me!) :wink:

I think that BFCC has probly got the point across the wrong way.

The way I read into BFCC'S post, is that some people in todays games don't seem to think that missing 3 or so spares a game is that important because they can throw eight or nine stikes a game and still average the card.

Novel idea BFCC but not sure that i would score very well out of it, the way I have been sparing of late :roll:

Jase

Perhaps the rule should be like golf, you cant move onto the next frame until you knock all your pins over for that frame.

Now THAT could help provide some sparing practice.

yeah but unlike golf how would your score reflect your mistakes

You hit more strokes in golf your score goes up. putting you behind

The more attemts you have in bowling your score will also go up - that wouldn't be fair on your opponents who get there spares the first time - that way you can't pull away from your opponent?

Well since we are changing the scoring, we might as well get away from that old 10 plus your next 2 balls for strikes ... you score as many points as turns it took you to knock all the pins down .. so a strike is worth 1 - a perfect game would then be a 12! Lowest score wins! 12 would be a perfect score only if we still played 12 frames - no reason we cant change that to 18 to be like golf!

Perhaps we could have a tournament with 2 rounds of 18 frames, and the top 36 cut to another 2 rounds of 18 frames to decide the champion.

Mmm... not bad!!

It is possible to get the machines to keep respotting the pins until they are all gone? I mean what if you leave 5-7-10 and it takes three more shots to clear the deck (a double bogey?)

Graeme

Interesting ideas to say the lest!!! BFCC i think ppl do still care about their spares, they are even more important than those strikes at times! How many times do ya see people crack the ya no wats bcoz of a missed spare, heaps of times!!! I personally take my spares very seriously and try to get every single one i can, like most ppl, but if we can miss the pocket and we all no that happens then we are gonna miss spares 2 arent we!!!

Just a thought

Dion A

And what bigger penalty do ya want than to loose a game by less than 10pin bcoz of a missed spare?????!!!!

Graeme

I could only think that you could run that tournament in a centre that does instructamat - and use a pin chaser to clear away pins that are left on the deck.

Back
Top Bottom