How Important is Accuracy?

Could not agree more Mick.
Statistic from National coach last year @ Worlds.
Team USA in 144 games missed 1 spare...the 7 pin.
They throw straight @ spares thus taking out the play of lane condition.
There was another team that still did very well however missed 192 spares!!!
These stats tell you why Team USA are the best.
Accuracy plays a massive part in our game...but you dont get it unless the part before you release the ball is also accurate!

Both George and Mick are 2 of the best at it and to name a couple...

Grant

It's still important.
It's hard to make informed decisions on what ball/surface etc to use without being able to make accurate shots. There is nothing worse then trying a new ball in the 12th frame and missed your target. It's a wasted ball IMO.
Accuracy is probably more important for George then it is for Mick, but it's also a little easier for him to attain.
As for how often I hit my target board? I have absolutely no idea. Like some others have said early I personally find it almost impossible to see by ball at the dots, which I've been using for targeting lately. I use more down lane markers to see when and where the ball starts entering it's hook phase.
Whatever works I guess...

Cow

As this topic is heading more along the lines that I hoped for in looking at what factors are dominant in scoring on to-day's conditions, I am definately coming to the view that, while accuracy has it's place, it now comes a poor second / third, etc to factors which George described best.
I remember bowling in the first squad in a tournament in Qld ( Redcliffe, I think ) prob about 10 years ago, when generally speaking, lanes in Qld were dryer than the Simpson desert, and I had really struggled to a just over 200, using my spare ball mostly after the first game. I was watching the second squad, and in the first 2 games,I was looking at a well known Qld bowler ( then and now). No, not him, this one was a right hander, and I watched in amazement as he hurled ( not bowled) the ball in the general direction of the R/H gutter, usually, but not always, landing somewhere in about a 10 / 11 board area. He bowled two X 260 games.
I must admit, that at the time, I was not impressed. Rather more sad at what technology had done to the game, but reality is reality, and here we are.

I see I'm still accumulating people who don't accept how precisely I can place a ball.
You know, if I had been talking to bowlers about this in the early '60s, I don't believe anyone would have found it all that remarkable. I would like you all, however, to consider that every time any of you say that you can't accept ( or whatever phraseology you use ) that that is possible, you are effectively calling me a liar.

Alot of bowlers these days still have no idea on tight patterns....they whinge & moan instead of trying to be more accurate. I am not talking of a single board but of just a smaller area.

I know what you mean Rob, I think I previously mentioned somewhere I bowled my first sports series tournament on the weekend and the pattern was okay, I am guessing probably not the hardest sports pattern to play on, but accuracy was still important, which I found out, out of the 10 games we played, I was probably only really accurate for about 3 games, that was all I felt I had in me during the day and I struggled my backside off the rest.

However what I found affected my accuracy even further was not being entirely consistant in all aspects of my approach, timing, delivery, release etc, I was basically shooting myself in the foot by not getting these areas right in the first place.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

Essential is a smoooth consistant rhymic, on balance approach. When I have released the ball, I am balanced on the left foot, right leg out at rear, on balance, and I could stand there reasonably indefinately ( see my avatar )

Now, where have I heard that before??

My accuracy is based on the boards to the my right as i am right handed. I always think critically to know where the target and i visualized the 'pretend strike' from that point.

However with good arm swing i always cop with straight-right angled motion towards the strike zone every single time. It works to me very well!

As this topic is heading more along the lines that I hoped for in looking at what factors are dominant in scoring on to-day's conditions, I am definately coming to the view that, while accuracy has it's place, it now comes a poor second / third, etc to factors which George described best.
I remember bowling in the first squad in a tournament in Qld ( Redcliffe, I think ) prob about 10 years ago, when generally speaking, lanes in Qld were dryer than the Simpson desert, and I had really struggled to a just over 200, using my spare ball mostly after the first game. I was watching the second squad, and in the first 2 games,I was looking at a well known Qld bowler ( then and now). No, not him, this one was a right hander, and I watched in amazement as he hurled ( not bowled) the ball in the general direction of the R/H gutter, usually, but not always, landing somewhere in about a 10 / 11 board area. He bowled two X 260 games.
I must admit, that at the time, I was not impressed. Rather more sad at what technology had done to the game, but reality is reality, and here we are.

I see I'm still accumulating people who don't accept how precisely I can place a ball.
You know, if I had been talking to bowlers about this in the early '60s, I don't believe anyone would have found it all that remarkable. I would like you all, however, to consider that every time any of you say that you can't accept ( or whatever phraseology you use ) that that is possible, you are effectively calling me a liar.

I remember the old Redcliffe Opens well Jim, used to bowl league there as a junior and the lanes werent any better most of the time in league lol. The lane conditions definitely didnt lend themselves to be being able to bowl a ball properly, your description of hurling is well suited.

I think if you were to look back into the 60s, you guys were accurate no doubt, but it is also possible that that era of lane surface lent itself to giving you some assistance in this regard, my understanding of lacquer lanes with a softer coating allowed for track areas or grooves to wear into the lanes and due to the nature of bowling balls at the time, most players had similar rolling balls (not necessarily deliveries) and it was slightly easier to be consistant in this regard (not much has changed today in regard to those that throw a straighter delivery, less error prone). I dont know if this is entirely correct, but hopefully yourself or someone who worked as a technician back then can give some insight? My point being, much like today if a track area in the oil is there, I know I can hit it all day until it disappears, much like other high avg players, its presence was just in a different way back in that era. Difference being the old groove might have been a board or so max, todays equivalent with the prevalance of the oil and ball technology, could equate to 5 brds or so.

It wasnt until somewhere around early 70s that a harder lane surface eventuated and plastic balls came into play as a fairly significant development in ball technology and the snowball rolled from there as it has with most other sports in the world.

This has probably changed the original post tact a little, but there has been many for and against arguments in regards to the sports scoring progression, many believe that whilst the latest technology has increased scoring it was actually easier to bowl in the earlier eras, you could still hit the pocket just as easily as now, just that the ball technology has improved significantly and even with sport patterns being introduced, they have tamed the scoring down, but only in some degree to making it harder to roll the ball to find the pocket, once balls hit the pocket, if set up correctly will still destroy the pins.

Bowling in earlier eras lent itself to making the right adjustments in technique and delivery important. Even the USBC from a study they did a few years back were concerned that todays equipment has outstripped the talent required to shoot scores on anything outside of a sports pattern. I think it is fair to say that this is probably the case in todays bowling landscape. Which probably comes back to the accuracy title. Most players notice that todays equipment lends itself to off hits, from deliveries that arent exactly accurate, but carry light shots, heavy hits, half pockets hits you name it, perhaps using sport patterns to make it harder to hit the pocket isnt the solution but perhaps changing the technology of the pins used to decrease the carry as it is something that hasnt really kept pace with all other advances?

Hmmmmmmmmm.

Essential is a smoooth consistant rhymic, on balance approach. When I have released the ball, I am balanced on the left foot, right leg out at rear, on balance, and I could stand there reasonably indefinately ( see my avatar )

Now, where have I heard that before??

Not sure if you are replying to my previous post or not, but when I mentioned those technique things that affected my accuracy on the sports shot, it is something I have been struggling with in my game for a good few months, much like your own issues with sparing, it is something I am not shaking at the moment, have probably been working on this for a good 3-4 months and improvements are there but not quite just yet to be on a consistantly good basis.

Jim, I'm not calling you a liar. I think you deeply believe that you are that accurate. However...

Look up 'unconscious inference'. Our eyes are actually very poorly designed, and it has been proven that most of what we see is shaped by our previous experiences. The McGurk (sp?) effect is one example that has been posted on here before. If you really want to be freaked out at what our brain can do, look up 'blindsight'.

It is not possible to see your ball roll over the target, because the ball is in the way while it does roll over it. Thus your brain has to extrapolate what it sees to derive the ball path. You 'expect' a result, your brain supplies it. If you can accurately estimate where the exact centre of a moving sphere is at 15' then you are remarkable indeed.

It is easy to test, I told you how. If you are indeed as accurate as you claim then I take my hat off to you, because you are more accurate than the vast majority of the cream of the PBA tour. Or it could be a perception issue, which would help explain your sparing issues too.

I remember the old Redcliffe Opens well Jim, used to bowl league there as a junior and the lanes werent any better most of the time in league lol. The lane conditions definitely didnt lend themselves to be being able to bowl a ball properly, your description of hurling is well suited.

I think if you were to look back into the 60s, you guys were accurate no doubt, but it is also possible that that era of lane surface lent itself to giving you some assistance in this regard, my understanding of lacquer lanes with a softer coating allowed for track areas or grooves to wear into the lanes and due to the nature of bowling balls at the time, most players had similar rolling balls (not necessarily deliveries) and it was slightly easier to be consistant in this regard (not much has changed today in regard to those that throw a straighter delivery, less error prone). I dont know if this is entirely correct, but hopefully yourself or someone who worked as a technician back then can give some insight? My point being, much like today if a track area in the oil is there, I know I can hit it all day until it disappears, much like other high avg players, its presence was just in a different way back in that era. Difference being the old groove might have been a board or so max, todays equivalent with the prevalance of the oil and ball technology, could equate to 5 brds or so.

It wasnt until somewhere around early 70s that a harder lane surface eventuated and plastic balls came into play as a fairly significant development in ball technology and the snowball rolled from there as it has with most other sports in the world.

This has probably changed the original post tact a little, but there has been many for and against arguments in regards to the sports scoring progression, many believe that whilst the latest technology has increased scoring it was actually easier to bowl in the earlier eras, you could still hit the pocket just as easily as now, just that the ball technology has improved significantly and even with sport patterns being introduced, they have tamed the scoring down, but only in some degree to making it harder to roll the ball to find the pocket, once balls hit the pocket, if set up correctly will still destroy the pins.

Bowling in earlier eras lent itself to making the right adjustments in technique and delivery important. Even the USBC from a study they did a few years back were concerned that todays equipment has outstripped the talent required to shoot scores on anything outside of a sports pattern. I think it is fair to say that this is probably the case in todays bowling landscape. Which probably comes back to the accuracy title. Most players notice that todays equipment lends itself to off hits, from deliveries that arent exactly accurate, but carry light shots, heavy hits, half pockets hits you name it, perhaps using sport patterns to make it harder to hit the pocket isnt the solution but perhaps changing the technology of the pins used to decrease the carry as it is something that hasnt really kept pace with all other advances?

Michael

I enjoy reading your posts

There are about 700 topics in this post and response alone

I worked as a Tech at Hurstville Bowl in the early to mid 70's , things were so different back then, everything really

Lane surface was often a bit grooved when old but when newly resurfaced
and well maintained they were very flat indeed

Jim is right when he says accuracy was everything, because it was, It was all we really had, You either bowled a full roller or a semi, High or Low roller used a rubber or plastic ball that did bugger all on it's own

We used to practice hitting 1 board for hours on the old instructomat

The funny thing is when reative balls turned up in Aust they did bugger all for my average, I think it was because my game was all about acuracy and I still averaged 205 - 210 everywhere i went, mostly team bowling

I have realised that using these balls is so much more than hitting your target
although I believe it is still the Staple of the game

Cheers
Geoff

Michael, as someone who did work on lanes in the 60's I can tell you, that Lacquer did track-up in about a month after Re-Coating, it was necessary to Coat every 3 Months. It did not Groove, this was associated with Shellac. The end result of the Tracked up area was that it did not hold oil for very long, much like Todays Synthetics, so you had Lanes that were slick inside and Slick outside the Track area, which made it difficult to Bowl on.

One of the Major problems we had back then was a lack of Knowledge, both about what was happening and what to do about it. It wasn't until American Andy Hamill came to Australia in 1976 to show us how to eliminate the Tracked up part of the Lane, this was the Guy who, Invented the Lane Duster and the Unimatic Oiling machine, which was superior to a Century in it application of oil on to the Lane. Than 2 years later Remo Pachetti from Century came out to Australia, and taught us a lot more and he had written a Book " A Guide to Lane Maintenance "

So with all my Knowledge about Lacquer, the last Tournament I worked on with Lacquer was the 1985 Silver anniversary at Hurstville Bowl, This was the last Centre to be still Lacquering in Sydney, this was won by Peang of the Phillipines with a 249 Qualifying Ave and a combined Ave of 239, Second and third in the Tournament were Tom Kury and Chris Batson, with 213 and 211 Averages, who said you can't bowl on Lacquer. This is where Brenton Davey talks about the Good Old Days of not being able to score a 200 Game, he actually means the Mechanics didn't know what they were doing.

The very last Tournament I did the Lanes, Michael, you Didn't like the Lanes you thought they were Too Dry, yet you Averaged in the Matchplay 242, Won all 15 games shot a 300 game and you were using 2 different Bowling Balls because of the Over Lane Ball Returns with 2 different Lines.

willey

The game seems to have evolved from a physical game to mental game.
As the guys have said in previous posts, matching the right gear up with the conditions plays a big part in one's success. But also if you are unable to execute your shots correctly, knowledge wont save you from bad games.

Michael, as someone who did work on lanes in the 60's I can tell you, that Lacquer did track-up in about a month after Re-Coating, it was necessary to Coat every 3 Months. It did not Groove, this was associated with Shellac. The end result of the Tracked up area was that it did not hold oil for very long, much like Todays Synthetics, so you had Lanes that were slick inside and Slick outside the Track area, which made it difficult to Bowl on.

One of the Major problems we had back then was a lack of Knowledge, both about what was happening and what to do about it. It wasn't until American Andy Hamill came to Australia in 1976 to show us how to eliminate the Tracked up part of the Lane, this was the Guy who, Invented the Lane Duster and the Unimatic Oiling machine, which was superior to a Century in it application of oil on to the Lane. Than 2 years later Remo Pachetti from Century came out to Australia, and taught us a lot more and he had written a Book " A Guide to Lane Maintenance "

So with all my Knowledge about Lacquer, the last Tournament I worked on with Lacquer was the 1985 Silver anniversary at Hurstville Bowl, This was the last Centre to be still Lacquering in Sydney, this was won by Peang of the Phillipines with a 249 Qualifying Ave and a combined Ave of 239, Second and third in the Tournament were Tom Kury and Chris Batson, with 213 and 211 Averages, who said you can't bowl on Lacquer. This is where Brenton Davey talks about the Good Old Days of not being able to score a 200 Game, he actually means the Mechanics didn't know what they were doing.

The very last Tournament I did the Lanes, Michael, you Didn't like the Lanes you thought they were Too Dry, yet you Averaged in the Matchplay 242, Won all 15 games shot a 300 game and you were using 2 different Bowling Balls because of the Over Lane Ball Returns with 2 different Lines.

willey

Hi Frank,

Thanks for that, I had only a brief idea of history from different things I have read but never really looked into the technical aspect of it all to that degree.

I should insert a left handers comment in about the tournament Paeng won, but will let it slide lol. Would you say my comparison in that having that track allowed for an easier shot to be played is similar to the way todays bowling balls open up a track area through the oil or am I off base there?

Can't say I remember that tournament either to be honest, but just because someone averages 242 or anything else ridiculously high like that, doesnt mean the lanes were good, obviously an easy lane pattern, but probably just means I matched up my equipment to suit on the day and it worked. It is sometimes how most tournaments work these days, right ball, right shot, bye bye rest of field. It is entirely possible the lanes were too dry (was this when Mayfield still had wood or after synthetic?), however along with having some revolutions, also have enough speed to sometimes over power the conditions.

And this is your fault because you mentioned dry lanes, but as I have said a few times, I bowled a sports series tournament the previous weekend, it was instantly noticeable how the body felt after bowling 10 games on a reasonably high volume oil pattern compared to the regular house shots I play on here in Newcastle where the proprietor feels as though 18 units of oil is plenty. I feel sorer after completing 4 games of league on a Tuesday night than those 10 games. Even one of the guys I travelled to the tournament with who happens to be my Chiropractor couldnt believe that he didnt feel worse after bowling so many games compared to the 4 in league.

G’Day,

I am trying to stay out of this post but the topics raised are great with plenty of insight. Seeing Geoff post about the good old days of being able to bowl without pins, the hours spent doing that.

It is also very interesting hearing the theory on playing area and roll, as a junior back in the 70’s that was my game. Different to the other juniors at the time. But I loved to watch Mark Roth, we would get videos from Dr Key back then of the pro’s in the U.S.

The amount of times I had to walk home from not listening to dad about hitting my target. My target was 40 feet down the lane, not the arrow as being preached. After many hours of practice and using a practice approach 300mm wide at home with a target 16 feet away, yep dad was a task master, I learnt to watch the arrows and the roll. But the area shooting remained. The only thing I got from the hours of practicing that way was a straight walking approach that remains today. Still can’t hit the side of a barn to save myself though.

Again thanks for all the interesting conversation in this post.

Michael

I enjoy reading your posts

There are about 700 topics in this post and response alone

I worked as a Tech at Hurstville Bowl in the early to mid 70's , things were so different back then, everything really

Lane surface was often a bit grooved when old but when newly resurfaced
and well maintained they were very flat indeed

Jim is right when he says accuracy was everything, because it was, It was all we really had, You either bowled a full roller or a semi, High or Low roller used a rubber or plastic ball that did bugger all on it's own

We used to practice hitting 1 board for hours on the old instructomat

The funny thing is when reative balls turned up in Aust they did bugger all for my average, I think it was because my game was all about acuracy and I still averaged 205 - 210 everywhere i went, mostly team bowling

I have realised that using these balls is so much more than hitting your target
although I believe it is still the Staple of the game

Cheers
Geoff

Geoff, the old instructomat was great for practice, I used to throw balls for hours on it.

I think when reactive balls rocked up here, it wasnt much different to anywhere else, in that if you knew back then what you know now, it would have been a different game, the way the balls broke down the lane patterns so quick, the need to change how you released the ball, it killed some professional bowlers careers, although a few were smart enough to adapt, just have to look at Pete Weber, Walter Ray etc. I was fortunate I only used urethane, rubber and plastic gear for a few years before the reactives invaded the country.

Myself growing up bowling in wood lane centres, I found it hard to adapt to synthetic lane surfaces for a lot of years, as they werent that prevalent in QLD during the 90s, it took a lot of effort to change the way my ball rolled and now I sometimes struggle in reverse heading back to wood lane centres, but always enjoy doing so because I feel instantly comfortable.

Jim's post is a good one even if he thinks people are taking pot shots at him, I just think todays definition of accuracy is different to what was the norm in previous eras, the exception is on the lower ratio oil patterns ie PBA as George pointed out in a previous post.

Am pleased that others have answered Michael re preparation of the old lanes. I was a tech in the early '60s, at Enfield and later at Balgowlah ( Totem Bowl) and, for the life of me I could remember very little about it. Good that others have better memories.
I've just come home from the Bowl ( Ballina) where I've done a number of experiments / measurements. When I write them up, i'll post them. I can assure you they're quite interesting, and seem to prove that accuracy is a minor player in scoring in to-day's game.

In the ‘60s, one of the things I used to do was roll out a piece of plasticine into a little roll, about 1/16 inch diameter, and about an inch long and press it lightly onto the lane, lengthways along the join between 2 boards near the arrows. I then used to bowl the ball with the aim to flatten it out. I expected to achieve that, and did, the majority of deliveries. ( I’ve got no idea what percentage.)
As that was close to 50 years ago, and being 77 as opposed to 27, I find some minor differences in what the body will do, so I assumed that would be a bit much to ask to-day.
Added to this were opinions apparently well based and informed, principly from Brenton and Robbie, and concerning targets sixteen times bigger than that, that even if your eyes ‘saw’ the target board hit, it almost certainly hadn’t happened.
I can’t be bothered re-posting the reasons – they are all posted earlier.
Before I remembered my ‘plasticine trick’ way back, I had thought I would go down to Ballina Bowl, and get on lane 12 ( last lane) and have someone stand beside the arrows and watch closely while I bowled balls at a designated board. Then I thought “ what the hell” I’ll just be told that everyone’s eyes are subject to the same illusions, and they only thought they saw what I thought I saw.
So I looked in the workshop and actually found an old piece of plasticine. I wasn’t game to roll it out thin, so I settled for ¼ inch. Robbie, I actually measured it with a micrometer – it was actually 6thou undersize. Anyhow, it was only 4 inches long, so I cut it into 4 pieces – 10 would have been ideal.

So this morning I went down to the bowl and got on lane 12. In an earlier post, I explained that I didn’t see the ball much before it reached the target distance, or until it was well down the lane approaching the pins, but I had no idea what these distances were. So, in order to set this experiment up properly, I set out the following relevant measurements and distances.

Foot rear of foul line at delivery ------------------------ 45cm.

Target board ( beside arrows) to foot ( as above ) -----Approx 5 metres ( dependant on arrow )

Ball seen in focus -------------------------------------------Approx 40cm before target board section
( board section means a section of board approx 2 ½ inches long, on which I focus)

Ball next sighted after passing target board --------------Approx 7 metres from headpin.

Eye Height ( from approach / lane surface ) -------------Approx 1.15 metres.

So, having warmed up – can’t hit a 3 board target to start, because of arthritis in fingers –
This is what I did.

Placed first plasticine roll along board join between board 8 and 9, and adjacent to 2nd arrow. – Bowled ball, flattened plasticine.
Bowled another ball, then placed next piece of plasticine, bowled again and so on, until all 4 rolls had been bowled at once. I have 4 odd shaped, flattened, pieces of plasticine, average size about 1 ½ inches by 5/8 inches, from a fairly close rectangle to an elongated pear shape.
Now, of course I wouldn’t do that all the time, but I have always felt that I was focussing and bowling to this accuracy, and I knew not just what board, but what part of it I hit. When I miss, I know that I miss, and, JUST AS IMPORTANTLY by how much. When I miss, or when I hit, but from different alignment, either from ‘drifting’ on approach, or swing of arm slightly out to in or vice versa, and then when I look up to see the ball, it is usually going where I expect from the error in delivery I have already seen.

So, I can hit a ¼ board fairly consistently. I always felt that I knew that, but seeing the kerfuffle I caused saying I could consistently hit one board, frankly, I wasn’t game to say so.

Why did I include the height of eye measurement above?
I’m so pleased you asked.

I think it was Robbie who said that it was not possible to see a ball roll over a target, as the ball itself was in the way, or something like that. ( I hope I’m not misquoting him )

Whoever said it, this is not so. When I bowl the ball, I am looking at, in a very exact focus, that part of the board which is the target. It is in sharp focus and everything outside that is progressively less sharp. At this time, I am AWARE of the ball, virtually as a moving ‘shape’ only. When it reaches around 40cm from the target, it enters the sharp focus area. I watch it for that instant then lose sight of it almost at once. Somehow, in that ‘snapshot’ type instant I have also noted it’s angular direction, leading me to expect a good, light, or high hit. I’m usually right.

The eye height V/S “seeing’ the ball ?? That eye height, at 5 metres from the target produces an angle of sight of around 15 degrees. At that angle, the board at 5 metres is easy to see. At 5 metres, at that angle the lower curvature of the ball is also easy to see, leaving only a section of around an inch or less which you need to estimate the centre of, to accurately ‘see’ the track section.
Anyone can try it. Place a ball on a lane, at arrow distance. Stand 30 / 40 cm behind foul line, lower your eyes to just over a metre and see for yourself.

Anyhow, after all that, and the fact that I can consistently hit a very small target, it is obvious that accuracy is the minor partner in scoring. When I fix my spare problem – and I will, I still doubt that I would average much more than around 205, going on past experiences.

Makes me wonder though. What if someone who currently averages high ( not just on ‘gimme’ conditions) and compared to me sprayed the ball around, also incorporated that sort of accuracy into their game. Would probably have to be a stroker, not a cranker, though.

Hiya Folks
Great post Jimcross I have found the reading quite interesting,as suggested in some of the posts about sharing in the hope it may be of interest to some I thought I would contribute, I read with interest Jims initial comments at the start of this thread and found similarites to my own game, I feel i was reasonably accurate and would often link a few strikes together, but leaving countless 7 pins or 10 pins I knew my sparing was letting me down and keeping my average to the 180's. Frustration at shooting good 200's but never going on with it was bugging me no end, then while I was completing my coaching course I came across something i had never heard of the "369" sparing system.now many of you are probably quite familiar with it,but i had never heard of it in the 30 years i have been playing the sport,well this "old dog"learnt a new trick,and other than splits I just dont miss a spare,its was incredible,so damn simple,anyway,since then my average has moved to just over 200 and has stayed there, as i dont bowl a massive revving hook accuracy is very important to me,and now with the confidence of spares am enjoying time on the lanes so much more.
Anyway,thats enough,just wanted to share,and again,great post.
Cheers

Jim,
Given that a ball is 8.5" in diameter, to hit a 1/4" piece of plasticine you have to get the centre of the ball within about 35mm each side of the plasticine to hit. Geometry 101.

Run it as a 10" roll across the boards, that will show you where the ball is actually going. If you actually were hitting them in the centre the ball would pretty much cut them in half.

Jim,
Given that a ball is 8.5" in diameter, to hit a 1/4" piece of plasticine you have to get the centre of the ball within about 35mm each side of the plasticine to hit. Geometry 101.

Run it as a 10" roll across the boards, that will show you where the ball is actually going. If you actually were hitting them in the centre the ball would pretty much cut them in half.

35mm? 3.5cm? are you saying the average bowling ball is touching 3.5cm of lane at any given time? .........

you really dont want to accept Jim's accuracy do you?

also i've seen the plasticine "targeting" in action and it didnt come close to cutting it in half. maybe on a dry surface it would but with the oil on the lane it seems to just flatten out

Back
Top Bottom