Should we allow the changes to DeVeer?

Do we accept the DeVeer changes or do we boycott the new system?

• Accept the new changes?

Votes: 38 28.8%
  • Decline the changes and boycott?

Votes: 94 71.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Max its really great to see the fight you have for Deveer but TBA have pretty much set their idea in stone, " This is what we're giving you and really won't bother us if it goes ahead or not "

Really what it needs is to run a rival "De Veer competition". Maybe even incorporate it with the people that run ECCC.

So instead of a poll, it should be an idea thread to get Deveer off the ground instead of the TBA attitude of push it under the rug and hopefully it will go away.

Good luck,

hamster

tony hamilton

I agree with Tony here Max. A boycott will only cement the extinction of the De Veer. With the appalling 'format' I think it lends itself towards a self imposed boycott. What we need to discuss is how to create/rehabilitate the De Veer competition.

Someone on this forum mentioned a "breakaway group" forming as a result of the changes. What is the likelihood of such a group coming up with a suitable replacement that everyone will support?

If it's high, sod TBA and go for gold. If it's not really a goer it's back to persuading TBA to rethink their stratgey.

who says DeVeer or a Deveer style format has to be run by TBA and has to be part of the nationals.

Im sure theres enough people accross the states to form an organising commitee to run the tournament each year in its current form, indepentantly of TBA's nationals.

Someone on this forum mentioned a "breakaway group" forming as a result of the changes. What is the likelihood of such a group coming up with a suitable replacement that everyone will support?
If it's high, sod TBA and go for gold. If it's not really a goer it's back to persuading TBA to rethink their stratgey.

I would suggest that probability is high, and without overstepping some bounds at this early stage I believe there will be some communication distributed and/or a bit of a get together down in Melbourne pretty shortly.

There's already a draft schedule for a proposed restricted nationals floating about. I'd like to add to this now that there are some higher average bowlers that might like to participate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

who says DeVeer or a Deveer style format has to be run by TBA and has to be part of the nationals.

Even though i beleive the TBA has screwed up,i still think that Deveer should be a part of the Nationals,maybe i live in a fantasy world,but the idea of going away,doing all these events,it appeals very much to me,,,and to a lot of other bowlers i have spoken too,over the last 2 years i have been away to Deveer,as well,its just a great atmosphere,i hope it all gets sorted soon,for the betterment(if thats a word lol) of bowling.

johnnyb

I agree with Tony here Max. A boycott will only cement the extinction of the De Veer. With the appalling 'format' I think it lends itself towards a self imposed boycott. What we need to discuss is how to create/rehabilitate the De Veer competition.

Quite frankly, we're in a bad position either way. Rehabilitating the Deveer comp won't work unless we have TBA support anyway. IF TBA was interested in the first place, why isn't there a Deveer style tournament in the junior nationals?

Here's another idea (for what it's worth): each state run it's own version of DeVeer - show the amount of support/competitive spirit in a handicap event at representative scale, THEN maybe things will turn.

As to the question: we don't have much say so there's no choice. Let it through, put forward a petition from all the bowlers and see what happens.

There already is an alternative for the eastern States, that being the ECCC (East Coast Challenge Cup) which has open (men/women), graded (men/women), Senior (men/women), junior open (boys/girls), Junior graded (boys/girls).

Maybe we can put it to the ECCC committee to consider taking this event national, letting in SA, WA, TAS, ACT & NT. I'm it would only make the competition better and stronger.

Something to think about.... I will deffinately be looking into it.

Im sure theres enough people accross the states to form an organising commitee to run the tournament each year in its current form, indepentantly of TBA's nationals.
Cam
The ATBSO has a DeVeer type tournament - THE GRADED INTERSTATE CHALLENGE - and ATBSO takes it to the central and western states too!!!!

Indeed they do, except men and women are combined. But same atmosphere, same level of competition.

cheers

Tony

P.S. Good idea Alan.!

Cam
The ATBSO has a DeVeer type tournament - THE GRADED INTERSTATE CHALLENGE - and ATBSO takes it to the central and western states too!!!!
Reg i think theres alot TBA could learn from ATBSO

You guys run some great events.

Shame im a young bloke and have to wait another 20 years to bowl in them .

Why do they have to learn from ATBSO, 2006 De Veer was fantastic and everything that Peter Coburn and his tournament team did was spot on. So why change something that was okay to start with.:confused:

Why do they have to learn from ATBSO, 2006 De Veer was fantastic and everything that Peter Coburn and his tournament team did was spot on. So why change something that was okay to start with.:confused:
i was talking in general matie

Last year was my first deveer and it was an awesome experience

i was talking in general matie
Last year was my first deveer and it was an awesome experience
Good to see that it was not only me that enjoyed Deveer 2006. I have been involved with Deveer since 1999 and have seen some changes ( good and bad) over the years. 2006 was the best yet and went a long way to stamping out the illegal and unsportsmanlike act of sandbagging. these unsportsmanlike acts are why the TBA has gone the way it has gone :cool:

No matter what other events are put into place as replacements,getting the TBA to reverse their decision on WDV is the best long term option, IMHO. Forget DeVeer as a stepping stone to Rachuig, and run with it in the current format - as an interstate handicap teams event that *any* bowler can aspire to bowl in. That is the important thing that the bowlers have lost with this decision - the opportunity for those who are not scratch level bowlers to represent their State at the National Championships of their chosen sport. Removing a representative pathway for the members at any level is not going to be good for the sport in the long run, and in the short term could severely impact the financial success of the Nationals as well. Hopefully TBA will see sense and restore the tournament to its original format.
We could all email Alex and ask him nicely, or get your local association to run a petition calling for the return of DeVeer. It's the right time of year to do it - with everyone sanctioning and support at local level we could probably get a quarter of the entire TBA membership to sign.

Cheers, Robbie.

Hi Joe,
Here's a suggestion mate. If majority of TBA members not happy with whats going on with TBA, and with the direction it's heading maybe it's time for a change at the helm.Time for accountability, fairness, fresh ideas, common sense and time for TBA to listen to their ordinary bowlers ! It's time we the paying members ask something back for our fees. Someone who will make a stand for the average bowlers!
Alex

Back
Top Bottom