New Rules for Walter DeVeer

bm2

I'm still standin'
:cool: For those of you interested, the 21/11/05 update of WDV rules is now on the TBA website.

Have been a few changes with regard to averages (but we did expect that!), the best addition (in my opinion) is the new rule which states that ALL BOWLERS will now bowl a minimum of 3 games per day - no more paying out big dollars to simply watch, as has been the case for a few WDV reps. Everyone is guaranteed at least 9 games, and obviously those bowling well will get more!

thank you to the tournament team for sticking with DeVeer, and for continuing to improve the tournament, making it a fairer and more consistent event for those of us who are "average joes" by way of ability, but loyal to the sport which we love ;)

Let the rolloffs begin!!!

Broni

bm2 said:
:cool: the best addition (in my opinion) is the new rule which states that ALL BOWLERS will now bowl a minimum of 3 games per day - no more paying out big dollars to simply watch, as has been the case for a few WDV reps.
Broni

this rule has NOT been adopted for Rachuig as far as I am aware, so you guys can breathe easy!!!

Thanks also for a set of rules that is understandable and easier to administer.
Someone has done a good job here. Have the dinosaurs all left now?

Think its a great idea!!

More chuck for ya buck!

Maybe they should look at it also for Rachuig, as it will change things a little with the best teams of 7 not say just 5 and 2 reserves.

Just my thoughts!!!!Nothing worse than someone only gettting 4 or less games for the money they invest.

Totally agree Jason it would work well for Rachuig. It would also put immense pressure on the line up selection if all players had to be fielded at some stage. As you say, if everyone knows they are guaranteed x games, more people will roll-off.

There was a thread in the Junior forum a while back discussing this. The Junior bowlers were all horrified at people suggesting their precious format should be changed to something like this. I only hope some of those same selfish Juniors are reading this. And I sincerely hope it comes into President Shield soon.

ATBSO also have a minimum number of games to be bowled - 10 games - from a total of 21 (I think!). Great idea and as others have said - 'more chuck for your buck'....the main objection in the past has come from the smaller states (in competition terms) who will find it harder to get 7 top level bowlers. Lineups for teams, the challenges faced against the perceived strong teams, getting enough games to make the All Stars - BRING IT ON!!

Maybe the answer to this argument is to encourage MORE bowlers to reach the higher level required and 'have a go' - whilst winning is great, it is NOT everything in this declining sport of ours and maybe some of our personal reasons for competing need to be put aside for a short time to gain some momentum for the future....with sponsorship becoming a viable option hopefully, all the more reason to move ahead....congratulations!!

Flower

Ice said:
Wow! Bowlers re-graded after every day. That'll sort it out. Very clever idea!

You're right there Ice. Especially when everyone has to bowl 3 games a day minimum

Chris G.

It will be interesting to see if everyone is re-graded, or this is just a 'safety valve' in case of one or two bowlers start bowling the house down and need some adjustments.

Well done TBA, Minimum games is something I've mentioned many times before and it will be great to see it in action.

And using the average of all of the qualifying averages, that should make it still fairer.

=D> =D> :multi: \\:D/

Ice said:
Wow! Bowlers re-graded after every day. That'll sort it out. Very clever idea!

Without being too negative on this one, I wonder what averages will be bowled on day 3. For those that do handicap management this would be to easy. But changes are to be tried and tested so lets see what happens.

My ave is to high for wdv these days and i still say it is one of the best tournys around. I've met a lot of friends through this over the years and hope to be seeing it for at leased another 10 years.;) :D

Grumpy

I agree, the new rules look a lot fairer. It will certainly be harder to "manage"your average over the first 2 days to bowl the house down on the last day. Who is prepared to forego a few wins on the first couple of days just to keep your average down - certainly not me and I think coaches and managers would have something to say if a bowler deliberately did not try their best.

The minimum number of games will certainly require some careful thought by team managers in getting lineups right but will be the same for all teams. No more just leaving the top 5 bowling with the odd rest now and again.

However, there is no provision for what happens if a bowler is unable to bowl their 3 games in one day due to injury or illness (take 2004 for example when many bowlers were too sick to bowl for at least 1 day). I would like to see a minor amendment to allow the Tournament Director to approve a waiver of this rule for such emergencies.

Other than this it looks like the new Rules will be widely accepted by all. It is a genuine attempt to level the playing field and hopefully all bowlers will enter the spirit of the Tournament and we can go back to enjoying the competition and looking after the mascots. The SA Wombat may even make a return to take on the Lion and the SQ Monkey.

Back
Top Bottom