Quick poll on TBA sanction card cost

How much should we pay for a TBA sanction card?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wchester

Bowling Tragic
A quick three day poll with the results to be taken to the TBA AGM.

How much do you think it should cost for a TBA sanction membership card?

It's not about cost, it's about value.

If you list out the benefits, I'll tell you what it's worth to me :)

The potential benefits are totally dependant upon the gross amount obtained from the dues paying bowlers. More dues = more benefits. It doesn't get much simpler than that.
As it stands right now, our $12.50 yearly membership doesn't really get us anything tangible. This should and will change in the future if more progressive thinking people get on the TBA board.

Wow! Talk about open an question.

I think it should cost nothing, considering that I can't see that I've had any real benefit of being a member for the last year and a bit.

I still don't understand where my $12.50 went and how it helped me in any way.

Wayne
If you want opinions on what we would be happy in paying, perhaps you should provide a list for each cost on what would be included. It is obvious that more would be included in the increased levels of cost, but a list to make an informed decision would be better than just asking an open question.

Your never going to get the individual bowler to pay a membership fee when there is no value for their money, no information on what they can get for their membership fee.

It will take a long while to change the individual bowler's thinking of what TBA do for them.

I Did not vote.

I too would like to find out what I would be getting before committing to any cost figure. No use pooring money in without knowing what is coming out first.

I agree with the sentiment here. Currently it could be argued that for $12.50 we are being ripped off as there is no clear tangible benefit to the vast majority of the membership to join. Honestly, as a returning bowler I am questioning the value of membership and believe it comes down to two related questions:

1. What do I get by being a member?
  2. What do I value from my membership entitlements?

Both questions are next to impossible to answer at the moment and thus the majority of the current membership are not happy. As a result of the unhappiness any increase in the current membership cost would only serve to drive people away, which is the exact opposite that needs to occur.

I have voiced my opinion within Questions for the TBA @ the AGM thread with a way for the TBA to provide all bowlers an easily quantifiable benefit to membership that answers both questions. This would most likely see acceptance of an increase in the cost of membership with a bit of selling.

I have always thought there should be 2 separate levels of membership. The base level for the occasional or casual league bowler who doesnt care to venture outside his /her own centre. This would be set at $20 a year, and a higher level for Tournament/Championship/Rep bowlers.
The higher level would be set at somewhere between $50.00 and $100 per year.
Benefits?
Thats for another thread.

Fifty Bucks. Here is what I would expect it to fund, in no particular order.
Administration, liason with ASC/government bodies, sanctioning of centres, maintenance of rules and dispute resolution.
League funds used to be insured by TBA - are they still?
Running of Nationals.
Lifetime awards system - chevrons etc - maybe look at apparel for the more difficult awards, eg 300 game cap, 800 series jacket etc.
Appoint and train a centre/region league coordinator who can talk to leagues about sanctioning, rules etc or train centre staff to do so (and yes, I know this overlaps with what Centre Managers should already be doing).
Quarterly magazine, posted to each member, with page/half page for each centres' news/events. Also with ball reviews, coaching articles, etc.
Yearly draw to send a random member + SO to see World Tenpin Cup.
Produce set of ads for use by centres (at a fair cost) featuring our stars of the sport for recruitment etc.
National discount scheme on production of TBA card - anything we can get from accommodation to zoo poo.
Social bowler membership scheme, with open play discounts & monthly tournament for members.
National bowler database to at least attempt to assign a 'par score' to centres for average adjustment purposes.

Membership should be paid as a $1/week surcharge on a league set. More frequent bowlers will pay more, sure, but they are also more likely to get more out of it.

If I think of any more, I'll add to the list.

If you have been involved with any club or group you realise there is paperwork and if you want the organisation to run with office there is the cost of employee + on costs, rent, electricity, public liability, insurance, phone etc etc. With TBA being National body need 2 staff.

Charge a standard fee $10.00 for league bowlers, $20.00 for representatives, $30.00 for state and national bowlers. Each stage has more paperwork and attached provision, example state & National bowlers: rules and regs, modules, presentations to organise, selection committees, medical forms etc.

There is no such thing as a free organisation and if the sport is to be valued and improved we have to be user pay. No sport can operate and keep rules etc witout management.

What do you get for $12.50...3 coffees.
What do you think you should get for $12.50...the continuity of the sport.
The rest is up to us.

Leanne

Everyone is correct running down the same line but it is a viscious circle and it must have a starting point so if the question is valid and not to feather someones chance of getting elected think of the following:but you can't put a $ value on it.

Look at the other sports your kids, friends or even yourself pay to participate in, soccer I think is about a $100, softball - $60, however the point is that the more money poured into something the more it has to generate results and be accountable, millions into football and they are National with sponsors exposure, junior developments etc...took a couple of hundred years but got there....so we need to look at what the organisation is going to be in 5 or 10 years then structure the plan and work towards it, whatever the cost is the cost is... but the more generated the more TV stations can be bribed...er sorry... marketed to get some air time for bowling and eventually get somewhere near what a National organisation representing a National sport should be.

I also agree with Robbie that the more the cost the more it should spread over the year, a $1 a week would give cash flow for the organisation and not a once off injection that once dries up is in trouble....this organisation needs to generate regular cash flow as any business person knows if you don't have cashflow your business is dead in the water.

TBA last year sent out with their membership forms a flyer listing the benefits of TBA membership. However the wording of the flyer showed no benefit to the average league bowler. Things like pathways for elite athletes, tournament sanctioning, setting up rules for the game etc.

However as part of the fees there is an additional fee which is paid to the State & Centre Associations. This seems to vary from place to place however it is this portion of the membership that seems to go to the actual bowlers ie some centres have:
Cash awards for games over average/high games
free chevrons
monthly membership draws
coaching sessions for new bowlers
in centre tournaments for members only
financial support for centre/state/zone representatives
These vary but are usually administered by your centre association. For our Association how the funds are going to be spent is decided at the Annual General Meeting at which all bowlers and league representatives may attend and express their views and a vote taken. This way every member is able (if they want to) have a say in what this portion of their membership is going to.

However this year given that there is only about $5-$7 going to the centre association from each membership there is not a lot we can do but at least it is something that the bowlers can see they may be able to get.

By promoting these benefits rather than the actual TBA benefits we found a lot better response to membership acceptance. They could see what they may be able to get for their money.

Look, I agree with everyone here but we have to start somewhere. Maybe look at other sports as to what they pay and receive in return and this way we as a sport can then work out a similiar plan.

Other sports are thrieving and going forward, yet tenpin bowling is going backwards in a big way.

If nothing is done now, then the sport will never improve. All this work to boost the game and members has to commence immediately.

Leanne talks about employees and on going costs in running office. I understand that but why can't some positions in TBA run volunteers (except for CEO) like state associations and just cover the extra costs. This would save money but cutting the wage bill.

We will see the outcome of the AGM and forum to see how things are going to improve and when.

Leanne, I think you will find everyone agrees with your statement around costs and the need for a user pays system, however there is a real disconnect between the acceptance of that fact and the appreciation of what that actually gives the bowler (of all skill levels).

Surely you are not happy spending $30 at Woolworths just to keep the shop open, this is no different. Average Jane/Joe who does not have any aspiration to bowl tournaments or become a representative currently perceives that there is no value in the fee (regardless of the amount) and questions why bother joining. I would expect most would appreciate those 3 cups of coffee than the knowledge of keeping TBA running. In this respect perception is reality.

So the TBA need to find a way to encourage membership and at the same time justify a membership price increase. Although the sliding scale based on skill level is one idea it penalises bowlers for achievement which I would think counter productive. Also, when would you charge a bowler the applicable rate for the next level? When they register interest to go to the next level, or after they are there. It is a hard system to administer.

Personally I like Rob Buckleys suggestion of it being a surcharge within the league rates. Thus you pay as you bowl and that would fit all bowlers and leagues, be they short or long seasons. Also, most bowlers will not miss the odd $1, if they do they should not be bowling. With a well considered rewards system the benefits could then be giving real meaning to all bowlers via a meaningful rewards scheme, magazines, development programs etc. It gives average Joe or Jane something highly visible back for being a member. When they have something tangible to appreciate they will be happier knowing that they are a part of an association that is vibrant and active within the sport.

lmao!!

"How much do you want me to say you are willing to pay for basically no return?"

I didn't vote either and wont until I see something worth paying the membership for.

The Victorian Sports Series has a membership fee.

This fee is entirely voluntary, but provides excellent value for the bowler. It includes a bowling shirt, towel, rosin puff ball, magic carpet sample pack, and it also gives discounted entry into all of the 2008 events.

The membership package cost is higher than any of the figures you have quoted, and it has proven to be an excellent return in regards to membership numbers.

The Victorian Sports Series has a membership fee.
This fee is entirely voluntary, but provides excellent value for the bowler. It includes a bowling shirt, towel, rosin puff ball, magic carpet sample pack, and it also gives discounted entry into all of the 2008 events.
The membership package cost is higher than any of the figures you have quoted, and it has proven to be an excellent return in regards to membership numbers.
And I would pay it happily, because you have just listed the benefits. TBA?

Back
Top Bottom