CTBAM Sanction Fees

xpense

retired
This is something that l feel every bowler who has registered only with the CTBAM should be made aware of, if they do not know already.

Talking to Peter Coburn last night, we got onto talking about sanction cards, and that all Tournament Directors are being asked to check all sanction cards, and ensure that all bowlers are members of the TBA, prior to competing in a TBA Sanctioned Event.

Peter advised that all bowlers that had registered with the TBA would have a sanction card from the TBA.

I asked the question that was if bowlers had paid a fee to CTBAM, then was that considered to be a TBA sanction, and the answer was NO.

This surprised me in no uncertain terms. As l am sure it will surprise a number of other bowlers, in Melbourne. The sanction fees paid to CTBAM, do not cover the TBA sanction fees, therefor you are not TBA sanctioned.

You are able to purchase a TBA saction card from your local bowling centre. Please check with your bowling centre that they have not paid the sanction fees on your behalf, prior to paying the fees. I know of a couple of centres that pay the fees to the TBA on behalf of the bowlers. If this has happened you should have received a sanction card from the TBA.

The TBA sanction fee is $10.00.

The CTBAM sanction fee is $15.00.

That would mean that only $5 is for the CTBAM, and l dont see that being the case.

Hope you find this interesting, as l know l was shocked, to hear, as l thought the CTBAM sanction fees would mean l was TBA registered, as they do not advise that you are not sanctioned, and the Sanction Card says TBA Affiliated.

Thank you for this information as I was in the same mind as yourself as will have to get on to it

Jeanette

WOW thanks for that info. I also thought that being with the CTBAM I was with the TBA as well. I will look into getting TBA sanction then.

I wish this sort of information was on the TBA web site and commonly available to all bowlers, I hate it when this stuff pops up due to a conversation. This sort of communication breakdown is why bowling in Victoria is in such a mess at the moment.

Frosty:rolleyes:

I think it will be good for someone from CTBAM to explain here regarding their TBA Sanctioning and their fees before people start tearing them apart. :rolleyes:
I am going to send a pm to Leanne Healey of MTBA,regarding this matter too.
Thank Lance for this great info.

alexnjudy said:
I think it will be good for someone from CTBAM to explain here regarding their TBA Sanctioning and their fees before people start tearing them apart. :rolleyes:
I am going to send a pm to Leanne Healey of MTBA,regarding this matter too.

Alex,

my understanding from the conversation with Peter Coburn is that MTBA members are fine. Dont quote me on that, as we did not really discuss the MTBA. I think Peter said he had a talk with Leanne on Thursday night about this.

Leanne, will be more than happy to discuss with you, l am sure.

No one has torn the CTBAM apart in this thread. I thought it was very important for all CTBAM members to know this fact, with TBA events in the next couple of weeks, and State Trials in 2 weeks time. After all no one wants to turn up to event and be told sorry you are not eligable to bowl until you purchase a TBA membership.

Well i am still in shock to find this out this way for our bowlers. Some of our bowlers are also CTBAM members :sad: :sad:
If their membership card says TBA Affiliated..what does that mean ?

dont blame you for being shocked. I know l was very shocked when told this. your bowlers that CTBAM members, may also be TBA members through other ways. MTBA possibly, or through a TBA league in a centre that pays the memberships (EFL used to not sure if still do), or they may have paid the membership.

But l am absolutly sure this will shock a number of people.

I hope that a CTBAM board member can shed some light on this for all concerned, as it could mean that a very large number of people need to no spend more money to register with the TBA, if they wish to bowl TBA accredited events. That includes, state champs, nationals, state trials, any of the majors held in Victoria, any of the GP series, and a number of other events help by independants which may include Werribee Cup, Warnambool Cup, Dunn Shield, Emerson Shield.

You deserve Victorian of the Year for this Lance!! Keep up the good work mate and thanks once again. Am sure most bowlers here appreciate all that you are doing for us. Cheers

Like every-one else I find this to be a shock. I'll check with some of the power's to be at the C.T.B.A.M. today and find out what is the go and post it, (get someone from C.T.B.A.M. to post an answer), later today or tomorrow.

Folks,

I am on the CTBAM Board of Directors (as the Centre Director for Frankston), and after confirming with the CTBAM President, I believe this is a case of misunderstanding.

As it stands the CTBAM holds a license with the TBA to be affiliated with them, and as such members should regard themselves as TBA sanctioned.

I believe the misunderstanding is based on what may happen in the future, but at this stage there should be no concerns.

It is a concern that issues like this are published in such a public way, without having been ratified from the perspective of the TBA and the CTBAM, as with such a large membership base that the CTBAM represents, issues such as this can do much more harm than good if they are misrepresented.

If I become aware of any more facts, I will make further note.

Regards,

Vaughnn

Hi Vaughnn,

I am only speaking from the fact that Peter Coburn said to myself last night that my CTBAM membership is not a TBA membership, and that l would need to purchase a TBA membership to compete in any TBA events. My CTBAM membership would not be accepted as TBA membership.

This is due to a the new fee structure of the TBA this year. And is from this year onwards at this stage.

Yes the CTBAM is affiliated with the TBA, but this does not mean that the bowlers are sanctioned. These are the details of what Peter Coburn has advised. What Peter said is that the TBA will recognise the Leagues exist, and the CTBAM exists, but does not mean any bowler is able to receive any awards, or compete in TBA events.

I am sure that if any bowlers wish to contact Peter Coburn at the TBA he will be more than happy to advise the same.

Perhaps CTBAM needs to contact the TBA, and verify this also.

The other associations have increased fees to cover the TBA portion of fees, but no fee increase with the CTBAM.

I personally have sent an e-mail to Peter Coburn to have this writting.

Lance,

I have just spoken with Bryan (President) from CTBAM.

The lane levy fee structure see's fees paid by centres to TBA, and for this the TBA provide TBA sanction cards to the centre.
The CTBAM pay part of the YOUR sanction fee to them, to the relevant bowling centre's and this should entitle you as a CTBAM member to have one of these TBA cards. So you should not need to pay two membership fees.

In my personal opinion the levy system is not very clearly communicated/understood, and perhaps this adds to confusion.

Hope this clears up most of the confusion

Vaughnn

My question is WHAT IF YOU HOLD A CTBAM SANCTION AND A MTBA SANCTION???

With what has been said in the main forum with bowling in a unregistered centre, what about holding an unregistered card (if this is the case). Does this therefore make the bowler holding the card an unregistered bowler?

I am guessing that there has been some misunderstanding between the CTBAM and TBA

HI Vaughnn,

Have sent your response to Peter Coburn. Once l get a response from him, l will post here for all to see.

I hope this is a simple case of misunderstanding between the TBA & CTBAM, and all CTBAM members are TBA sanctioned.

All bowlers need this cleared up ASAP. As the CTBAM registered bowlers who turned up next Sunday to bowl in the GP series will not be able to bowl without producing the TBA card, or a receipt to show these fees have been paid.

All tournament directors, that have sanctioned the event through the TBA, have been advised they need to check all bowlers are sanctioned with TBA, and the conversation l had with Peter last night also contained the GP series tournament director.

Do you know if Bryan has contacted the TBA about this?

Muels1 said:
My question is WHAT IF YOU HOLD A CTBAM SANCTION AND A MTBA SANCTION???
With what has been said in the main forum with bowling in a unregistered centre, what about holding an unregistered card (if this is the case). Does this therefore make the bowler holding the card an unregistered bowler?
I am guessing that there has been some misunderstanding between the CTBAM and TBA

Kelvin,

As you are registered with both the CTBAM & MTBA. you are entitled to all awards for either of those associations.

I have requested full details from Peter Coburn, so l will not say that yes or no about being unregistered with the TBA. Peter did not say that you would be unregistered, but really if you think about unless you have a TBA registration with someone, then you can not bowl in a TBA event.

As far as l am aware if your an MTBA member you are a TBA member. That was the reason in the fee increase, form what l have been told today.

I really hope it is a misunderstanding. Lets hope that the bowlers are not the ones who suffer though.

Hope makes sense.

Lance,

I spoke with Bryan (President) from the CTBAM. He contacted me back after talking to Peter.

You are correct, that to bowl in these TBA Sanctioned events you need a TBA Sanction card. This does not include the CTBAM City Championships which require you only have CTBAM membership.

The TBA Sanction cards are provided to centres when they pay the lane levy, and the organisations like the CTBAM pay money back to the individual centres (in the process of finalising payments to AMF) so these bowlers can have a TBA Sanction card as well as there CTBAM issues card. I have only ever had a CTBAM card, and have never had an issue bowling in any event, it is only the new levy system (which is where a few centres have been regarded as unregistered) that has changed things slightly for bowlers.

Would be great if the TBA would post here, so that everyone understands there individual situation.

Vaughnn

Kelvin,
As you are registered with both the CTBAM & MTBA. you are entitled to all awards for either of those associations.
I have requested full details from Peter Coburn, so l will not say that yes or no about being unregistered with the TBA. Peter did not say that you would be unregistered, but really if you think about unless you have a TBA registration with someone, then you can not bowl in a TBA event.
As far as l am aware if your an MTBA member you are a TBA member. That was the reason in the fee increase, form what l have been told today.
I really hope it is a misunderstanding. Lets hope that the bowlers are not the ones who suffer though.
Hope makes sense.
Your a cluey bloke Lance, Why arent u on the board of directors or something mate seriously. You have such a great involvment in the sport and are always looking out for EVERYBODY!
Anyways back on topic with what was said about unregistered centres where it was stated that if you bowled in an unregistered centre, you are ineligable for anything really regardless if you did bowl in a registered centre.
It seems to be a tricky situation here!
P.S. So when u makin the trip out to the WILD WILD WEST to have a bowl Lance, wanna see you bowl on our lanes LOL!:p

I would just like to make a couple of things clear. I am not trying to make any problems between the CTBAM or TBA.

I just felt this information was very important to all bowlers, as it had been advised to myself from the TBA Chairman.

I really hope that the CTBAM & TBA can sort this issue out, and the bowlers are not disadvantaged in anyway.

CTBAM Membership Fees

TBA has a policy which prohibits any Board member or State Manager from posting on totalbowling. This ban was imposed as TBA had issues with posters being "ambushed" and posts regularly being altered or removed without authority. Accordingly, TBA representatives will not post on totalbowling, however, we have had discussions with the new owner which may reverse this trend.

This issue is too important to overlook and I’m sure my Board will endorse my reply in this instance. If this is not the case then I will have to suffer the consequences.

The 2006 Lane Levy System has been very well advertised on the TBA website. Letters from the TBA Trust (who created this system) have been sent to ALL proprietors informing them of the 2006 system and as you can tell from the list of Unregistered Centres only a few have declined to be part of this system this year. It is up to each centre/proprietor to strike a deal with the association(s) servicing their centre. Additionally, both MTBA and CTBAM have been sent a copy of this 2006 Lane Levy System after it was posted on the TBA website. I have also had meetings and conversations with Leanne Healey (MTBA President) and Bryant Stafford (CTBAM President) over the 2006 structure to clarify the current system and seek their associations support.

Some centres are co-issuing TBA Registered Player Cards with their CTBAM cards, ie Mentone, Melton and quite possibly the Oztenpin Centres as CTBAM have an arrangement with these centres. However, only MTBA, at this time, have an arrangement in place with the Vic AMF centres to co-issue a TBA Registered Player Card with their own card.

Regardless, TBA recognise all CTBAM and MTBA members, however, when any of these bowlers compete in a TBA accredited event they need to have a 2006 TBA Registered Player Card (as stated on the entry form). The bowlers may be asked to present this card (or proof of payment) at check-in.

There has never been any secret over this situation as TBA has been quite specific in the wording required on accredited event entry forms this year in that "You must have a current Tenpin Bowling Australia registered player card to bowl in this tournament" or similar wording. This is no way prohibits any CTBAM member from competing in these events provided they also have a current Tenpin Bowling Australia registered player card. TBA has never stated that CTBAM members can not bowl in these events.

MTBA will/have co-issue 2006 TBA Registered Player Cards with their own 2006 MTBA membership card, therefore ALL MTBA members will eventually get a TBA card. The process to get these cards printed is taxing the voluntary people at MTBA, so since TBA is aware that this will happen then a MTBA membership card will be acceptable until these poor people catch up.

FYI, I'm also a CTBAM member and I received my 2006 TBA Registered Player Card from my home centre the same night I was issued with my CTBAM card. As this centre has an arrangement with CTBAM my centre manager was happy to give me my card free of charge. However, this may not be the same in every centre. After a telephone call from CTBAM President Bryant Stafford he has confirmed that they have had no contact from AMF with regard to co-issuing cards. Until this happens it is quite possible that CTBAM members in these centres will need to purchase a 2006 TBA Registered Player Card from their home centre.

The following announcement was placed on the TBA website on the 10th Feb 2006 - For many years membership fees funded the National Sporting Body for Tenpin Bowling. With the financial collapse of ATBC a change was made to funding the organisation through a lane levy system where centres provided the bulk of the funding based upon lane numbers. This system has been coming under pressure for several years and at the November 2005 Bowling Proprietors Conference a proposal was put (& received overwhelming support) based upon the removal over time of the proprietors’ need to be involved in the funding of the organization. Broadly the proposal is to transfer the organization back to a full membership funded body, although some centres present indicated they might want to stay with bulk sanctioning.

Three models were presented at the conference and accepted as being a viable way forward. A centre may choose any one for 2006. All models except Option B assume TBA bowler member fees of $11.00 (Adult rate) and $8.00 (Junior rate) inclusive of GST. They are:

• Option A - where a Centre Association or Area Association exists and fees are being collected in an efficient and appropriate manner the centre may hand over the collection of fees to the Association and withdraw from the levy system. These will generally be centres with a strong Association organization where the majority of bowlers if not all are members of the Association. The Tenpin Bowling Trust will deal directly with the Association under this option with the Association remitting funds monthly as collected from bowlers.
• Option B - where centres have a strong league base, but do not have an Association collecting fees or do not collect fees themselves, but are willing to pay $200.00 per lane per annum (plus GST) that this continue for the time being. These centres will set their own recovery rate if any.
• Option C - where centres or associations are not collecting fees or have a weak league base and are not prepared or able to pay $200.00 per lane that the underwriting amount of $75.00 per lane (plus GST) be used, and paid up front. These centres are to be assisted to organize their own Association to collect fees so that the funds raised may either reach this figure or exceed it. Any fees collected up to $75.00 per lane (plus GST) to be used to reimburse the centre and fees collected above the $75.00 per lane (plus GST) to go to TBA. Fees to be collected at the rate as listed above. Initially only 7.5 TBA Registered Player cards per lane will be distributed to each centre under this option. Additional cards are to be purchased from TBA at the rate as listed above.

During 2006 TBA intends to rebuild its communication paths with all Associations, build Associations in those centres that do not currently have working Associations and in general by 2007 be very close to a full membership body again.

This is a watershed year for our sport and your co-operation by supporting this move and by becoming involved, in whatever way you are able, would be appreciated and will assist our great sport.

During 2006 TBA representatives will be checking TBA Registered Player Cards of those participating in Nationally Ranked Events, State and National Championships and any TBA Accredited Event. Cards may only be acquired from your home centre. TBA events will only be accredited in centres that have signed up to one of the options outlined above.

Bowlers should note that the figures of $11.00 adults & $8.00 juniors is the amount remitted to TBA. Association fees will vary above this to allow for funding of the Local Association.

Ultimately, TBA in 2007 hope to return to a full membership model, with a component of each member’s fees going back to the state association to assist state teams, sports development and administration costs. This structure and the 2007 fees will be set at the 2006 TBA AGM.

Thanks Peter for your conclusive answer.

My understanding from Bryant was that the outstanding AMF issue is hoped to be cleared up as soon as possible (perhaps this week - no promises though).

Regards,

Vaughnn

Back
Top Bottom