Questions and answers from the TBAL AGM

wchester

Bowling Tragic
The TBAL CEO Gillian Thompson-Rogers opened the meeting with an inspired Powerpoint presentation, which I would recommend everyone see. It can be found at this link:
http://www.tenpin.org.au/2008_AGM/Sport for a lifetime Presentation.pdf

Gillian is very aware of our plight and the mistakes which have been made in the past. I truly believe that she will do everything within her power in an attempt to raise the awareness of tenpin bowling and to give something back to the membership in return for their registration dues. However, everything comes at a cost, and the cost will likely be borne by you, the average league bowler. The CEO and the board of directors stated that dues for the 2009 season are expected to be ratified by the end of September of 2008. My expectation, and remember this is only my feeling, is that the yearly registration dues will be in the vicinity of $30.00 per bowler

This is by no means a complete recap of the AGM. It is however an attempt to relate to you the questions which I presented to the board and the answers which were given.

Firstly let me explain that the Q and A session didn't go exactly as I had hoped. Instead of taking questions one at a time from those in the room, John Coxon asked for questions to be written on a sheet of paper, from which he then selected a few questions to be fielded. I gave him a list containing 12 questions which you, the members of Totalbowling had suggested. Some of these question were on another list, that of Christian Purdue, and the answers to these questions are included in the following:

What does the average bowler get in return for his TBA membership/registration/sanction fee?

Right now the average bowler doesn't receive anything. ( Gillian's answer )

Why hasn't the TBA put a restriction on league and centre conditions and enforced this for honour scores?

Question was not chosen, so no answer

What is TBA doing in regards to publicity of the sport? Will there be more publicity in the future, or less publicity, & if so, what will be done to further advertise this great sport?

Vaguely covered in the PP presentation, but no definitive answer given

What is the TBA doing to help juniors in regional areas?

Asked by a couple of observers. It did not elicit an answer

What can TBA do to keep juniors in our sport once they graduate to youth and beyond.

Only the best 7 under 18 boys and girls can make the State team each year. Almost every other sport invites the best of each age group (under 10, under 12, under 14 etc) to compete each year. Why is bowling different?

Why not have international 14 and under representation? Most other sports have it, why not us?

When is the TBA going to step up and put forward a similar program to AFL's AusKick or Milo's Have a Go Cricket?

Why do we continually throw money at training camps etc for the elite when 90% of our bowlers are not in this bracket.

This specific question wasn't asked, but a similar question elicited the following answer..Out of the $220,000 in ASC funding, $150,000 is spent on the grass roots level and only $70,000 to the 'elite' bowling development program.

Are state associations going to be funded (under the TBA banner) to support local programs, country clinics and school programs?

Is TBA going to do anything to shut down the seemingly endless number of organisations, committees and sub committees we have.

TBA axed a long standing successful state versus state handicapped event, Walter De Veer Memorial Tournament on the grounds that ASC funding would be at risk if the event continued to be part of the nationals.

This was the last question of the day and it ended up being answered by a representative from the ASC (Australian Sports Commision) who took this opportunity to not only answer this question but to give everyone a clear idea of how our sport ranks in terms of gov't funding among some similar sports. The short answer was that he felt that the TBA should not be spending so much time and energy on the DeVeer as it was not an "elite' competition. John Coxon said that there were many complaints of sandbagging and that some of the teams were predetermined due to non disclosure of qualifying rolloffs.

As for future funding, he issued a caveat. Should the TBA stress the fact that there are 3.7 million people who participate in tempin bowling each year, then funding could be at risk, because after all, why would bowling need $230,000 if they have 3.7 million users. ..(PS .I think Gillian has a plan to get some sort of fee from every one of those 3.7 millin participants.)

My question to the TBA is why has this decision been reversed and at what risk to funding, if any?

We ran out of time so this second part went unasked and unanswered.

Some notable response during the day included the following:

Is anything being done to better the TBA Natioinals?
Entries were hurt last year by some opposition (meaning HOLT) - John Coxon

As long as Alex wasn't overspending, then everything was ok - John Coxon is response to a comment that the board is responsible for the current mess..

The most used line of the day was "we're aware of it and we're doing something about the problem. Details will be revealed when we have an answer"

to be continued.........

Thanks Wayne. I think we have a good CEO prospect in Gillian. Sounds like she has the "balls" to make the current mob on the Board get their asses off their hands or go find another hobby.

those Q & A points are pretty useless...

did they not chose the important questions cos they were too hard?

what a waste of time.

Wow. Finally someone with a Vision for our Game!! Good on you Gillian. She needs our support more than ever bowlers. She is courageous enough to speak her mind and humble enough to acknowledge TBAL's faults that need to be fixed.This is not a quick fix solution. Give her time.
It's going to be a "power game" with the current MOB. If they don't like her decision...watch them play the "majority vote" game ;)
Alex

Thank you for your update Wayne. It greatly appreciated and you should be applauded for this effort.

I will now go away and have a ponder on some responses before opening my mouth.

:)

Liz

FYI - I spoke with both Gillian and john Coxon asking them if they were aware of some of the Totalbowling member's concerns and comments. The answer I received from them floored me. While both were 'aware' of my recent poll pertaining to the cost of future TBA registration, both the CEO and Chairman told me they DO NOT read anything on Totalbowling.

I did say to Gillian that as a dues paying member, I felt it was her duty to know what the bowlers were thinking. Especially those bowlers who post on Totalbowling, stressing the fact if someone cares enough about this sport to voice an opinion on a public forum, then that opinion should be important to our governing body...(unfortunately, I don't think I got through to her)

I wrote down another quote that was used by John Coxon at the AGM. he said, in answer to a few of the questions / comments " our vision is addressing all of these things"
Personally I thought a straightforward answer or two would've gone a long was to appeasing the membership. But then I didn't get a vote, so I guess I was wrong.

Now on to the voting....There were 15 votes cast, some of which were proxy votes from dellagate who were unable to attend. ballots were handed out to the delages with two choices on them. Myself and my opponent Gordon Little. After being collected, the ballots were counted outside of the room by two non board members, who delivered the results to the Chairman. "The new director is Gordon Little"..After a couple of minutes had passed, I asked to hear the vote tally... 15 - zip I was told. Heartbreating to say the least.

Was I surpised that I lost? NO
Was I disheartened that I didn't get one single vote? YES
Will I run again? POSSIBLY
Do I think the sytem is a fair one? GOTTA GO WITH THE RULES

Do I believe I was the only qualified candidate? YES , and I'll tell you why.

Along with the nomination form we were asked to submit our coaching experience. I submitted a rather extensive summary of my qualifications and experience as a tenpin bowling coach. my opponent did not list any coaching experience whatsoever.

Below is the actual postion title and description as provided by the TBA. COACHING makes up a large part of the position...now you know why I'm dismayed. Don't get me wrong here. I wish Gordon nothing but the best of luck..but I also feel I should've been the man who gained election, not my opponent who didn't meet the position qualifications.

POSITION TITLE:
Director, Program Delivery

Due to the significant size of this portfolio, two (2) Director’s Program Delivery are elected at the Tenpin Bowling Australia Limited Annual General Meeting for the specific purpose of managing the Program Delivery of Tenpin Bowling Australia Limited. The holders of this position will require skills and expertise in coaching and compliance
systems, training, sports development and high performance management for participants of all ability.

POSITION DESCRIPTION:
1. Chair the National Coaching and Compliance Committee annual meeting.

2. Develop & in association with the National Coaching and Compliance Committee, implement the TBA strategic plan for coaching & compliance.

3. Prepare the annual Coaching & Compliance budget in association with Financial Advisor.

4. In association with the Chief Executive Officer organise a biannual National Coaching Workshop.

5. Develop and update training programs for Coaches and Officials.

6. Prepare Coaches’ Newsletter for inclusion in the biannual National Newsletter.

7. Work cooperatively with the Chair of the Sport Development sub-committee.

8. Work cooperatively with the Chair of the Technical Compliance sub-committee.

9. In association with the High Performance Sub-committee develop and monitor elite bowler training programs in conjunction with the WTBA.

10. Execute the responsibilities of a Company Director according to lawful and ethical standards, as referenced in the TBA Constitution, Board Charter and Governance Policies.

FYI - I spoke with both Gillian and john Coxon asking them if they were aware of some of the Totalbowling member's concerns and comments. The answer I received from them floored me. While both were 'aware' of my recent poll pertaining to the cost of future TBA registration, both the CEO and Chairman told me they DO NOT read anything on Totalbowling.

:g::confused:

Liz

Just goes to show you that little has changed since the defunct ATBC!

The only major difference is we now don't have people abusing their positions with regards to finances but the current people are abusing their positions in that they are not listening to the people who they should be answerable too. That is the average bowler or the people who want bowling to succeed as a viable sport namely all who post to this forum.

From the posts about what happened at what was supposed to be an open forum it seems that they find no problem bowing to threats from the ASC but can't find the proper time to address the concerns of all us bowlers.

Our sport is still in the same position it was when the ATBC folded. What a surprise I don't think!

I'm sorry, but I think a little sanity needs to be injected here. Does anyone here really have the arrogance to think that a primary goal of the Chief Executive Officer is to trawl through the numerous posts on an anonymous public forum looking for bits that might be relevant to her job?
If anyone has concerns or questions for the TBA, they should address such in writing to the relevant person at the TBA. That way, they can (should) expect to receive a considered and researched answer addressing their concerns.
A great part of the posts on this forum consist not of well structured, reasoned articles looking to promote the sport, but a great number of posts irrelevant to her job - as well as a heap that are simply backslapping, backstabbing or complaining. That's not having a go at anyone, it's just the way things happen on public fora. I for one would hope that the CEO has better things to do with her time, and any issues important enough to warrant her attention will be raised though the appropriate channels.

Just my 2c worth.

I'm sorry, but I think a little sanity needs to be injected here. Does anyone here really have the arrogance to think that a primary goal of the Chief Executive Officer is to trawl through the numerous posts on an anonymous public forum looking for bits that might be relevant to her job?
If anyone has concerns or questions for the TBA, they should address such in writing to the relevant person at the TBA. That way, they can (should) expect to receive a considered and researched answer addressing their concerns.
A great part of the posts on this forum consist not of well structured, reasoned articles looking to promote the sport, but a great number of posts irrelevant to her job - as well as a heap that are simply backslapping, backstabbing or complaining. That's not having a go at anyone, it's just the way things happen on public fora. I for one would hope that the CEO has better things to do with her time, and any issues important enough to warrant her attention will be raised though the appropriate channels.
Just my 2c worth.

I could not of said it better!

Belmo

Just goes to show you that little has changed since the defunct ATBC!
The only major difference is we now don't have people abusing their positions with regards to finances but the current people are abusing their positions in that they are not listening to the people who they should be answerable too.
Our sport is still in the same position it was when the ATBC folded. What a surprise I don't think!

Just wondering if you read that before posting??

Mate you are a smart guy, so post smarter comments.

To make a statement like that I would hope you have more proof than what you read on this website???

Sometimes i just dont know :s

Belmo

Just my 2c worth.

I agree completely with this view.

This forum is the place to put your views and opinions, however, if you have a specific issue or problem relating to the TBA then this is not the place, it should be directed to the TBA for a response.

Yep totally agree with Rob, Belmo and John.

However, it wouldnt hurt for the TBA to be generally aware of the issues that are being discussed on here, and know the things that are the issues for the average bowler. That doesnt mean that they need to read every post word for word etc etc

:thumbup: to Belmo, Rob and John. I'd be pretty disappointed if she spent a good part of the day searching this forum when time is better spent doing other things. She's always answered the phone when I've called her to ask a question and so have many others I have talked to. She is a very good listener.

Dozza :D

I had the pleasure of meeting Gillian yesterday while she was in Hobart.

I am not going to go into detail on the plans that TBA have already developed as that is not my job and nor could I do it justice. Gillian is much better skilled to do that.

But what I can say is that Gillian was most impressive in what she had to say about the direction that she and the Board see bowling needing to go for the sport to be recognised as a major lifetime sport for all Australians.

Gillian is energetic, obviously very skilled in business management and acutely aware of the challenges ahead of ALL of us to work together to get bowling heading in the right direction.

I would like to quote a paragraph from a document that I was given by Gillian titled “Opportunity for Change” which summarises the journey to revitalize and reactivate interest and participation in the sport of tenpin bowling in Australia.

“No matter how we are involved in the sport of tenpin bowling, we are all entrusted with the responsibility to make informed and brave decisions about the future of the sport within Australia that will ensure its survival and future success.

This is the time to stand up and be counted if you really want to make a genuine difference. It is truly the opportunity of a lifetime.”

To me, this paints the picture we should all be seeing.

(My two bobs worth)

POSITION TITLE:
Director, Program Delivery
Due to the significant size of this portfolio, two (2) Director’s Program Delivery are elected at the Tenpin Bowling Australia Limited Annual General Meeting for the specific purpose of managing the Program Delivery of Tenpin Bowling Australia Limited. The holders of this position will require skills and expertise in coaching and compliance
systems, training, sports development and high performance management for participants of all ability.

Wayne,
I think it wanted experience in Coaching and Compliance Systems, rather than coaching skills- correct me if I am wrongly assuming that you interpreted this as "coaching skills" as a requirement. That was my interpretation anyway.
I'm not doubting your coaching ability or experience, but are you a registered coach? (Can't seem to locate you on TBA site). This would be seen as very important to any bowler or centre manager if you are serious about taking coaching etc. further. And it would also support your comment that you more qualified than others in the coaching department.
Just a suggestion to digest and think about,
Edi

Belmo: The proof wasn't gathered from the posts on this forum it was from what has been happening in our sport for the last 9 odd years since the TBA took over.

Let's see, tournament bowling has all but collapsed; Daveer canned from Nationals (so no event catering for all bowlers - just elitism Rachuig etc. hmmmm smells like ATBC to me); poor turnouts for Nationals (due to Daveer canning); state champs treated with contempt from bowlers (due to no proper bowling pathway structures in place); demise of prestigious five man team leagues (may be cost but again no proper bowling structures); and the virtual collpase of league bowling in general (no proper bowling pathway structures in place); introduction of bowling bars or centres for pure profit (no structures in place means free rein to exploit bowling for profit); now need I go on.

So yes I really believe that we are no better off than when the ATBC was in charge as at least we knew who we were dealing with and had a say in who ran the sport then. In fact I go as far as saying we are far worse off now than when the ATBC was at the helm. I qualify that by saying that if it wasn't for Total Bowling and a few tireless volunteers their would be no competitve bowling structure in place in this country at all.

Now as the TBA CEO stated currently the Joe blow league bowler gets nothing for their Registration fee. The majority don't even know when their state champs are on so why would they travel to attend the Nationals. No awards no nothing the ATBC at least provided awards now didn't they.

At least in Melbourne with the area associations down here you might pay $25 for your sanction card with $12.50 going to the TBA (currently a neccessary evil) but $12.50 is retained to provide awards and other benefits to bowlers (not to TBA directors or "their" projects). The bowler does see a return. But I bet if you ask the bowlers bowling in centres that collect this fee (non area association centres) you would get the question why should I pay this as I get nothing for it.

Robbie:

No I don't expect them to trawl Total Bowling posts for bowler opinions. Realistically though they should at least take the time to address valid questions raised by bowlers not on Total Bowling but maybe through the TBA newsletters posted on their website. If they are answerable to the bowlers as they claim why the cloak and dagger about the ideas they are considering or don't they think bowlers can provide valid opinions on them.

Until all TBA directors are answerable annually to all bowlers via a vote (1 bowler 1 vote - no poxy, delegate or director voting) then I still will be of the same opinion. You may need longer terms so in this case renomination can cater for this. If you do a good job you retain your position like in the real world.

Maybe they don't have the time to look thru this website - maybe they should take the time - surely it not that much effort.

I think there is a good spread of bowlers on this site from beginner to advanced - so it would be an ideal place to start looking on how to improve things.

As much as everyone is entitled to a contribution on these forums...can people please refrain from making accusations about the activities of past ATBC employees and especially in relation to the misappropriation of finances….

The content being non specific can cast a cloud of doubt over the integrity of all or past ATBC employees…

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom