Questions for the TBA @ the AGM

Wayne,

As posted in another thread presently about Sessions of Continuous games, will we be seeing some improvements to the communications channels? I grant not every bowler needs to be sent the new rules every revision, but perhaps the accredited associations holding accredited events should be updated.

What I'm trying to say is there should be some proactive movement of information down to the administrators and the bowlers (where appropriate), rather than the reactive method where the interested party must monitor a medium and spot relevant articles.

I am not sure if this is the right forum for this question as it relates to Juniors however I am sure that it applies to the Seniors as well. I took my son to his first junior nationals in Brisbane. He bowled his all events as he wanted to try to qualify for the Restricted Masters and I must admit dad was proud when he did that. But my question relates to administration costs which were charged per event, I cant remember the exact figure but it was in the range of $6 - $7 per event. Then to qualify for the Restricted Masters there was a further fee of $10, then $100 for the successful bowlers to bowl just 8 games. Now I realise that an administration fees must be paid but why is it the same for each entry to a National Tournament?? Why is it not the administration fee for the fist entry into singles, doubles etc and then a reduced fee for every event thereafter. Ive had my 2 cents worth but after reading most of the post in this thread two things stand out. First that our sport is expensive across the board ie: The game, equipment etc and I dont think much is going to change that. But more importantly is the money we pay in administration costs is returned to the bowling community in Value For Money

Perhaps I should have been more specific in relation to administration costs, I dont mind paying those fees. But I would like to see the dollars are spent so that I know I am getting value for my dollars. As far as the cost of equipement is concerned I would like to know where you get a quality ball for $200 please tell me because I will do all my bowling shopping there. As to working tournaments I have done volunteer work for all sorts of events both junior and senior and yes I have lost my personal income. But my original question still stands where is the value for money in both tournament costs and for our sanction fees

Jason,
TBA as it stands cannot afford to advertise or promote tenpin bowling. Until people understand that TBA have to establish a workable income stream before they can commit to any programs to increase membership numbers across Australia, these sorts of questions are pointless.

Refer Christian: Unnecessary expenses! thats where its at. too much of that and monies not poured into the right streams, hence, current situation.

There are many options to the TBA in ways of raising quick revenue to permit a dynamic, yet feasible, tangible and most importantly, budgetable advertising campaign. Having been a business owner and in sales and marketing for over 13 years, i know all too well how this works.

This question is certainly not pointless. This is the single most important question that begs answering, and now!!!!

If the sport is to stop to continue down the participation s**t shute, then this needs to be addressed and answered with the utmost urgency.

Wayne, i hope you take this on board, as i am sure you and many other out there agree.

Refer Christian: Unnecessary expenses! thats where its at. too much of that and monies not poured into the right streams, hence, current situation.

Please list all these unnecessary expenses, and how much it frees up not having them.

There are many options to the TBA in ways of raising quick revenue to permit a dynamic, yet feasible, tangible and most importantly, budgetable advertising campaign. Having been a business owner and in sales and marketing for over 13 years, i know all too well how this works.

Again, lets hear some of these quick revenue options. Some idea of the budget for the ad campaign would be nice, too.

to andrew s please excuse my ignorance but what do we get for our 25 dollar a year sanction
Otty I dont know what you get for your $25 a year but I can tell you what I get for my $25 a year.
Aside from the registration with the National and State bodies, I get an annual tournament with really good prize money, I get an award scheme which gives me plaques and patches for my high scoring achievements and the Junior Youth and Disability bowlers are given financial assistance when they make either State or National Team status.

Please list all these unnecessary expenses, and how much it frees up not having them.
Again, lets hear some of these quick revenue options. Some idea of the budget for the ad campaign would be nice, too.

I am the 1 asking the questions here, its up to the TBA to answer them. This post after all and the thread is to put questions to Wayne to take to the TBA.

There is no sarcastic need from you mate, to post infering comments every time i wish to post my questions or opinions here. So i request you discontinue it now as i have as much right as anyone else to post freely and not be attacked each and every time.

I am the 1 asking the questions here, its up to the TBA to answer them. This post after all and the thread is to put questions to Wayne to take to the TBA.

There is no sarcastic need from you mate, to post infering comments every time i wish to post my questions or opinions here. So i request you discontinue it now as i have as much right as anyone else to post freely and not be attacked each and every time.

To summarise:
TBA is wasting money. I don't know how much or what on, but I KNOW they are!!!
AND they have lots of options in raising quick revenue, I'm a business owner, I know how this works.... What - you want me to TELL them? Hey, I'm asking the questions here buddy, not offering to help, stay out of my face...

LOL Jason. thanks for your valued input.

Captain Asparagus "stop it you're killing me" ROFLMAO :D:D

Please cease and desist immediately!!!

You know they say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but by crikey it's damn funny.

Now excuse me while I compose myself, and await for the next acidic rhetoric outburst, followed by a stinging (and highly sarcastic) rebuke from Australia's slide sock overlord :D

Tub :D

orly-full.jpg

National Sarcasm Society - Like we need your support. :banner_88x31_f1:

It is not up to the Associations to advertise this Sport, they cannot control any Centre in Australia, therefore they cannot gain any advantage from Advertising.

When I started in the Sport, every Centre Manager was automaticly made a local representive of the ATBC, in those days we had 99.9% membership. In the early 70's a Coup was formed to change the rules where-by anyone that worked in a Bowling Centre was not allowed on Association Boards. I believe the rot started to set in from this point, as I read some of these posts where Questions are being raised as to Why? Centre Managers don't seem to care if they have Sanctioned League Bowlers or not, well why would they, when they have no involvement and latter day Managers have no inkling of what the Associations do.

As for you Jasonguru, you would be better served if you sent a letter to AMF to help them with Thier Advertising as it's almost "Non Existant", their the ones who can benefit most out of Advertising.

willey

thanks. thats exactly it!

****ers like you RobbieB dont deserve a place here when all you seek is to bring down constructive comment. i suggest if you dont have anything real to add, dont add it at all.

perhaps the moderators might want to read before this all becomes a total joke, rather than total bowling!!!!

It is not up to the Associations to advertise this Sport, they cannot control any Centre in Australia, therefore they cannot gain any advantage from Advertising.

When I started in the Sport, every Centre Manager was automaticly made a local representive of the ATBC, in those days we had 99.9% membership. In the early 70's a Coup was formed to change the rules where-by anyone that worked in a Bowling Centre was not allowed on Association Boards. I believe the rot started to set in from this point, as I read some of these posts where Questions are being raised as to Why? Centre Managers don't seem to care if they have Sanctioned League Bowlers or not, well why would they, when they have no involvement and latter day Managers have no inkling of what the Associations do.

As for you Jasonguru, you would be better served if you sent a letter to AMF to help them with Thier Advertising as it's almost "Non Existant", their the ones who can benefit most out of Advertising.

willey

chris batsons' comments are right on the money but needs to be expanded further to general advertising to attract social bowler to league "competition play". i like that 1. the TBA need to facilitate this, not AMF or Brunswick.(refer another post and thread)

an ad campaign tailored to attracting bowlers to the sport in general, not an ad to go down to your local AMF, Brunswick etc etc. this can be a simple 20 generic ad in the style of showing the top end talent doing what they do, such as shots of Belmo, Jarod, etc with a simple edict will achieve spades.

thats all thats needed and if done right and spots bought on commercial TV at the right times, then it will be successful and gain traction, hence new people to our sport.

thats what the TBA need to do.

Jasonguru, how would such a Campaign be monitored, this can only be done through the Centres, thus it can only be Driven by the Centres. So only AMF, Goldpin, Super Strike etc have the money and only the Centres can benefit.

So how much money do you think the Association can waste on such a pointless exercise, if they have any spare money they should spend it back on Chevrons.

willey

So how much money do you think the Association can waste on such a pointless exercise, if they have any spare money they should spend it back on Chevrons.

I agree that spare funds should be diverted to things like Chevrons or some kind of effective reward for achievement (more on that in a minute). The benefit of Chevrons is it gives average Joe something tangible for his money. Also, these should go across the loudspeaker at the beginning of league so all people in the centre can hear, this would then show that you can achieve something in the sport and may encourage social/potential league bowlers to sign on. In a small way it is its own cost effective way of advertising.

If that was to happen I would suspect that the average beginner/intermediate league player would be a lot happier handing over their $12.50 (or more) knowing that during the year they may receive something tangible. The key thing is to ensure everyone has the potential to achieve something for their money. The current practice of charging $12.50 for membership and then $x for doing something right is not recognition, its a slap in the face. Giving chevrons away is a small token to get the membership up.

Once the membership is captured looking at the other areas of concern such as promotion, funding of elite teams and elaborate junior development programs can, and should, be considered.

Now, back to the effective reward for achievement comment. As stated the benefit of a Chevron is it gives average Joe something in recognition for achieving a milestone in the game. This is especially good for juniors (especially beginners) as they have something to show their mates etc. The disadvantage is once you have received the Chevron once generally you do not appreciate the second, third, etc. and the value is not there. The question then turns from "What do I get for sanctioning?" to "What do I get and appreciate from sanctioning?", the second question currently is very hard to explain adequately for non-tournament bowlers, which is the vast majority of the membership.

So given that the value of Chevrons to the average Joe dwindles the reward scheme should be looked at. I think a potential solution would be to consider a scheme where the bowler has a choice between a traditional Chevron or a TBA Credit. The TBA Credit could be worth the same as the cost of the Chevron, so no cost to TBA, and used within sanctioned centres/accredited suppliers for bowling related expenses. Or even a sliding scale for achievement could be used based on the current achievement rates of an award. TBA Credits can then be saved up and used in one or more transactions.

The centres/accredited suppliers are then reimbursed the monetary value of the TBA Credits earnt so they don't lose out on any profits. The bowler then can save the credits up and use as they wish. This would surely encourage bowlers to strive further knowing that they could save on practice rates or maybe afford to get a new ball, bowling accessory, or pair of shoes at seasons end from a supplier of their choice.

The process of becoming an accredited supplier (and those of you running pro-shops here I am interested in your feedback) should be nothing more than filling out a form for the TBA stating you will accept TBA credits as payment. TBA could then publish it on their website, thus giving them a better picture of the industry. I am sure many members/administrators of the TBA have absolutely no idea about much of the bowling services out there and would appreciate not having to Google it.

Of course there would need to be further controls but I am throwing an idea out there. Something that seems to have been lacking for quite some time at TBA.

My 2 cents worth~ I think the TBA credits sounds like a great idea!! When I first started
bowling I strived to achieve each successive chevron but once you achieved it that was that, then what to do with them? sew them on a jacket look like show off or dork or both
throw them in the bottom of your bowling bag, no one sees your success!! mount them in a frame on your wall at home, very few see your success!! so YES if it is possible to organise, promote and operate why not try it BRING ON THE CREDITS

I'd like to personally thank each and every one of you for your input. The questions have been printed off and a copy will be taken with me tomorrow when i attend the TBA AGM in Sydney.

I'm sure the current board members have taken notice of your posts, and I will be asking questions in the afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom