Prize fund payout - Melbourne International Tenpin Cup

wchester

Bowling Tragic
The advertised prize fund was based on 70 men's division entries and 25 ladies. Since the numbers came up short, with just 57 men and 11 ladies bowling, how did this effect the payoff for each division?

If you placed in the money this weekend, would you let us know exactly how much you received?

Went something like this...

$2500
$1500
$1000
$800

Not sure excatly the rest. 10th was $550. They only paid to 20th.

I do know the bowlers were not happy...they were only 13 short on advertised prize fund and they slashed the payout by alot ( i think around $8000!!).

Payout for men based on entry form on this website based on 70 entries was in column A and prizefund paid with 57 entries at $300 is column B

Column A Column B

$3000 $2500
$2000 $1500
$1500 $1000
$1250 $800
$1000 $700
$950 $675
$925 $650
$900 $600
$875 $575
$850 $550
$750 $450
$730 $425
$700 $400
$670 $375
$640 $350
$600 $325
$570 $300
$540 $275
$500 $250
$470 $275
$440 $ 0
$400 $ 0
$370 $ 0
$340 $ 0
Total Payout based on 70 entries was $20970
Amount paid out with 57 entries was $12925.

Difference $ $8045 from losing $3900 in entries.

Going by the payout figures shown and what they were based on ... it seems that the original payout was for the lineage to be free??? Or perhaps covered by the sponsors. 70 x 300 = 21000 where as the original payout figure was 20970.
Perhaps when the tournament was created someone forgot to account for lineage???

What about the 15 minutes practice each squad HAD and 15 minutes for the FINALS aswell. Seriously thats alot of lineage thatc ould of been used for Prize Fund.

Chris

If the linage was covered by sponsorship. An extra $4,000 off the prize fund makes it a pretty good game rate.

I have sent an email to Justin to see if I am missing something from the weekend and again express my disappointment in the way the payout was done.
To me, the way it looks, original payout $20970, based on incoming monies $21000. This means that say based on $5/game like most tournaments charge, they would have been losing $6780 to the prize fund, a sizeable chunk, whether you look at it as free lineage or centre sponsorship for the tournament. Both Justin and Karen stated that the original prize fund was a mistake by Rob, but both also stated that it would have been paid should the 70 entries have been received.
This means they would have been willing to accept the loss had an extra 13 players turn up.
In real terms, they were short $3900 on incoming entry money, but cut the prize fund down to $12925, a reduction of $8045. This is just under 27 in lost entries, double what was missing.
I also calculated based upon both Justin and Karen stating they were only charging $3 a game (still doesnt compute) that with 1148 games played x $3 = $3444 in lineage. Incoming entries $17100 - ($12925 prizefund + $3444 lineage) equals $731 leftover that was not paid back into the prize fund either.
I have never seen this happen before at a tournament, by such a great disparity to the original prizefund and ratio of lost entries.
Whilst the womens turnout was beyond terrible, their total incoming money was $2420 with $2500 returned, ie more than the incoming. Not to bad in comparison to the guys who copped the brunt of a loss that should probably have been worn by the centre in keeping with the original payout and no lineage charged to the women either. In real terms, the bowl has prob lost not much more than about $2500 in lost lineage men and women (@ $5 per game) opposed to probably the $8-9000 they were originally looking at.
To me, this represents a kick in the guts to those bowlers who travelled a big distance ie WA, TAS, QLD to get to this tournament, have supported it and on the surface, would appear to have been shafted because it appears the centre has seen an get out to reducing its original loss. I also point out that 36 out of 57 men were from interstate/NZ and 18 out of 24 in the first final or the original money spots. So you can really see who copped the loss here, those that got off their backside and travelled. Where the hell were the rest of the Victorian bowlers for this event, what a joke of local support for this event too.
I have attached the original payout, adjusted payout and what should have been a probable payout in keeping in line with the way the original was made. General consensus, bowlers don't forget and the majority that travelled may not be back, which is a shame as tournament numbers are bad enough as they are without this to make things worse.
If I am missing something, please feel free to correct me.
Michael

Attachments

• Payout MC.xls
    16.5 KB · Views: 50
I have to agree with Mick's assesment of the prizefund.

It was brought to the attention of Justin on the final day that the prizefund appeared to be incorrect (by myself). I showed him the rough figures that i had drawn up, he then told me that they would recalculate the payout. The prizefund payouy sheet was then removed from the centre wall and was not seen again.

Based on the figures that i did, it would appear that the Mens division was losing its money to cover the linage in the womens section. If this is the case, it is totally unacceptable as I, and all the other male entrants were paying into a prizefund we couldn't compete for.

If this wasn't the case, i would like it explained how the women's section wasn't charged linage, yet the men were paying over $5 a game!

As Mick said, bowlers have a long memory. I know that i shall not be returning next year, along with some of the bowlers i travelled with.

On top of the poor lane condition chosen (yeah i know what ur all thinking), the lack of atmosphere and the prizefund debacle, it has left a very bitter taste in my mouth in regards to the event.

I would love to hear others bowlers opinions on the event.

CT

I to, have sent an email seeing if I can get some clarification why the prizefund was adjusted so much. So far no response but we will wait and see.

I really don't want to comment to much until and if I get a response but it must be said that the communication to the bowlers for the weekend was lacking terribly.

I hope that there is a response that can answer and justify what happened otherwise it would be very poor for the centre and the people involved.

Should I get a response I will happily post the details.

No you are correct Michael, Unfortunately it is a business and they ran it such, they possibly made a mistake and didn't double check the sums, or didn't take into consideration sponsorship, doesn't matter, either way they recouped a large chunk of money, and I feel it was done on the run with no consideration of consequences.
Even if they did it with the proper intentions in mind, thats not what was seen to happen and most bowlers who participated are dissappointed in one way or another with the whole thing, next year don't know if it will survive its credability test after the fall out from this.

So far no response but we will wait and see.

Do you really expect to get one?

If the intentions were good, the centre would have advertised those intentions when they changed the payout format. No centre in their right mind would host this event whilst bearing the cost of lineage....and sadly, I think we have just seen the last of the Melbourne International.

I hope I am wrong, but after the loss on this occasion, who, bowler or centre, would want to participate?

Gee i hope the Melbourne cup doesnt go under, hope some lessons have been learned and Altona(or somewhere else) can do a better job next yr

Would it have made more sense if the original prize fund was supposed to be based on 100, and the cause for the drama be a misprint?

This unfortunate situation should never happen. one of the reasons why I asked to have all accredited tournaments publish a breakdown on the tournament flyer showing exactly where every dollar of the entry fee goes.

Straws eh? LOL. Yep, that was the reason for my comment. It wasn't the real reason for people to read between the lines at all....

Isn't it amazing what a simple phone call can acheive? NO really, it's an amazing concept!

Back
Top Bottom