Sounding the death knell for women's divisions

wchester

Bowling Tragic
Only eleven females entered this weekend's Melbourne International Tenpin Cup. There were an outcry last year when the organisers of the old Melbourne Cup dropped the ladies division due to falling numbers.

I believe the time has come for holding one division only, and for the female bowlers to receive an 8 pin per game start, as is done on the European Bowling Tour.

.. and if you don't fix the problem then it will truly go down the toilet.

Women deserve their own division. Fix the problem.

I dont think the women need any advantage personally.

As Jase said, encourage more women..

You need to find out WHY they didnt attend..

Country champs were held in victoria this weekend also..

And what we are really proud of the men division..........how many there 57 ??
Do away with it all!

Only eleven females entered this weekend's Melbourne International Tenpin Cup. There were an outcry last year when the organisers of the old Melbourne Cup dropped the ladies division due to falling numbers.
I believe the time has come for holding one division only, and for the female bowlers to receive an 8 pin per game start, as is done on the European Bowling Tour.

Have to agree with Wayne on this one,,,does not make sense holding an event for 11 bowlers and paying out all of the money taken by entries..eg 11 women paid 220 = 2400. They paid this much out...men were 13 short and pay out was killed....

women should have their own tournaments but if they don't support them they should be scrapped, perhaps a new thread shoud be opened canvassing reasons as to way women's tournaments are not supported & perhaps the ladies should give their reasons & suggestions as to what can be done to improve attendance at the end of the days it is up to them fix no one else

Personally I was a regular on the Ladies Tournament scene from 1990 through to 2006. I have taken a break (or retired) from the game since having my son. My priorities and interests in life have significantly changed, I want to be with my family and enjoy giving my child a quality upbringing rather than flitting off here and there as well as not to mention the time spent training and preparing for events.

This is by no means saying my husband would not support me continuing to bowl, I know he would if I had the desire to do so. It's a personal choice based upon my morals and beliefs.

You will find that this very reason alone accounts for quite a few of the ladies who no longer compete on the tournament scene (a number of very competitive bowlers come to mind who fit this description). I suppose this is a fact of life as we travel through the different life cycles, for those of us who have chosen to have children at least.

Looking back over time numbers started to struggle accross the board back in the late 90's, soon after the introduction of two new age specific divisions (Over 45 and Youth). Afterall, why would you compete in the Open Division when there are Age Specific divisions which may give you a better chance at picking up some cash and covering costs.

"Back in my day" there was no option but to go from Juniors straight into the Women's ranks. Plenty of numbers as I recall entered events in the Ladies division back then.

Food for thought, I'm not sure what the answer is as a lot of the reasons behind the absences may be personal choice such as mine.

Jo

Jo is right on this one, too many youth and plus 45 events, so bowl in an open div. When i was a junior and into youth as it is these days we had 1 tournment a year in january that was it, we had no choice but to bowl adults.

I am not sure on the answer of this one, maybe cut down the number of nationally ranked events
who knows but we need to do something fast

I am not sure on the answer of this one, maybe cut down the number of nationally ranked events
who knows but we need to do something fast

Gee, how long have the threads been going on saying this needs to happen for tournament bowling to survive.

:):):):)

It also doesn't help when you have 2 major tournament close byt like K & K and Melbourne International Cup. The you through in a Youth Tournament in between that aswell for Youth Bowlers who might bowl 1 or the other or even Both. But something has to be down as matt said.

Havent we heard this argument over too many ranked tournaments before? If you look down the list of topics in the main forum, its the same thing over and over.

I agree with the comments about having too many ranked tournaments. Time to make events 'prestige' again. Renaming them doesnt help...

Back
Top Bottom