Officially approve and sanction Glenn Allison's 900 series of July 1, 1982.

Mistagear

www.xgamesbowling.com
FOLLOW OUR FACEBOOK PAGE:http://www.facebook.com/TheOriginal900
On July 1, 1982, Glenn Allison rolled the first perfect (900) series in sanctioned competition in the history of bowling. However, the series was turned down by the then-American Bowling Congress (ABC) due to non-compliant lane conditions, allegedly discovered during a post-series inspection of the lanes.

In the years since Allison's feat, two dozen 900s have been approved by what is now the US Bowling Congress (USBC). Even though the rules at the time disallowed Allison's 900, consider the following:

- Allison's 900 was a highly difficult feat due to the low-scoring environment at La Habra 300 Bowl that night;

- The 900 was bowled with a Columbia Yellow Dot, long before the advent of high-friction bowling ball technology and a generally higher scoring environment;

- Allison has had a hall-of-fame bowling career, and racked up PBA titles and ABC eagles long before his perfect series. He is a highly skilled player whose bowling ability earned him the sport's ultimate achievement. His 900 was not a "fluke";

- USBC rules have since been changed so that lanes no longer need to be inspected immediately following each score eligible for an award;

- The USBC has approved two 900 series bowled in pre-bowling (unopposed) situations with no witnesses, yet has refused to recognize Allison's series bowled under the pressure of a packed house of spectators;

- Allison turns 84 this year. He deserves official recognition of his accomplishment during his lifetime.

To:
United States Bowling Congress

Officially approve and sanction Glenn Allison's 900 series of July 1, 1982.
Sincerely,
[Your name]

Yes - Yes - Yes - Yes !!!!.
I have always thought that this was an absolute disgrace. At the time, the decision, and it's reasons for it seemed flawad. Then add the 'manipulations' now possible with lane conditions, neither available or practiced then.
Comparitive to now, to bowl 900 then, would be almost like bowling two of them in a row now.
Is there an ( Australian ) petition or something happening ?

My guess is, the Powers that Be, back then quickly worked out that it would be detrimental for the Sport if someone reached the sign at the end of the road which read " If you are reading this sign, you are the first to arrive at where the death of the sport occurs"
It was like a time machine thing, that someone would be able to come back and report the future peril if you go down this road. But the sport took that road regardless. Are we there yet ?

Those Past Powers tried to block the road for our own sake, but we all jumped on the easy street bus and now its a huge job to find a new route out of this mess.
Meanwhile, thousands have been jumping off ours and changing to the "different sport" bus, headed towards the more challenging and more interesting route. Their journey may be endless, but is much more satisfying than being on a dead end road as we are.
Every week I see someone manage to shoot a game, one or two shots away from "perfect". Thats not how a sport should be, we've become a lame sport when supposed near perfection occurs all the time.
Sports balls, heavier pins etc, we have to come up with some answers very quickly before the sport slides completely into obscurity
Give the guy his 900 award and then make sure nobody can ever do it again, whatever it takes

PBA tried heavier pins, made no discernible difference. Remember the gold pins they used? They were heavy pins. They found about the only thing it changed was the pinsetters had a bit of a harder time picking them up.

EDIT: Spelling

My recollection of the PBA gold pins were, the lower scores made the Pro's less impressive. Theory was that it was no good for the sport to have the Peo's scoring less than local hacks.... but that only brings me back to the scoring...
Did I mention,
Since we started putting videos on YouTube in April, there has been 79,700 minutes of XGames viewed in over 100 countries across the World.... And our scoring message continues to spread

Have you sent the details of your scoring system to the Co-Chair of the group charged with doing the scoring review yet Pete?

Dont rush me Roy, it takes time to put this stuff on paper and be sure I get it right..
Besides me being slow, I like to think good things are worth waiting for LOL

On paper? ;)
Yes, yes Roy. Like that stuff they used to call 'newsprint'; books were made out of it; butchers wrapped meat in it. It had lots and lots of uses. People used to communicate by writing on it and sending it to other people. It was a flat variation of that which still comes in rolls and is located in some bathing areas. Now, Roy, please don't ask me now - "What are books" ? Please look it up on Google.

Jim... I remember books... they contained printed text on paper with a bound edge... good times. Now you can store hundreds of them on a simple tablet (not the kind you take daily) with the ability to flick the pages with one finger... ahhhh progress.

Pete... id love to read through your written submission when you are done. Write it out twice and send me a copy via the postman and i will check it out and and post it back to you. Please include return address and stamp :)

Seriously though... do you intend to send it? Its exactly what they are looking for and has clearly been thought through by yourself.

Glenn Allison has been robbed. Turning down the sanctioning of his series made sense to many people at the time, but when viewed in the light of the wanton destruction of bowling's integrity by players, proprietors, "governing" bodies, ball and pin manufacturers that has come since, his is more worthy than most, if not all that have followed.

After all, how many of the subsequent 900's were thrown with a spare ball with what we can only describe today as primitive lane dressing technology?

It saddens me to think that his nose has been rubbed in it so badly for so long. Glenn Allison deserves recognition and an apology.

Glenn Allison has been robbed. Turning down the sanctioning of his series made sense to many people at the time, but when viewed in the light of the wanton destruction of bowling's integrity by players, proprietors, "governing" bodies, ball and pin manufacturers that has come since, his is more worthy than most, if not all that have followed.

After all, how many of the subsequent 900's were thrown with a spare ball with what we can only describe today as primitive lane dressing technology?

It saddens me to think that his nose has been rubbed in it so badly for so long. Glenn Allison deserves recognition and an apology.

Quite right. It may do no good.....but........let's try. I went on the facebook link, and registered my vote - I noticed I wasn't the only Australian. Let's make a meaningful effort, eh ?

I remember when this was bowled Every Bowling Centre was a buzz with the news, could it be possible !!!!. Also around that time the other guy shot 890 and there were posters in all the centres with him holding his bowling ball. We all used to find out a few days later that someone had shot a 300 somewhere in Australia and we all talked about it in leagues for weeks and a 700 series was WOW. I remember Chris Batson bowling 1124 for 4 in a league one night, very early 80's, and we were all like , WHAT !!!!! how can you do that. My , my , my how things have changed now when a 300 game hardly brings and applause... Sad !!!

Jim... I remember books... they contained printed text on paper with a bound edge... good times. Now you can store hundreds of them on a simple tablet (not the kind you take daily) with the ability to flick the pages with one finger... ahhhh progress.

Pete... id love to read through your written submission when you are done. Write it out twice and send me a copy via the postman and i will check it out and and post it back to you. Please include return address and stamp :)

Seriously though... do you intend to send it? Its exactly what they are looking for and has clearly been thought through by yourself.

Any news on this front ?

Hi Jim,
I sent the Committee Chair a submission, but prior to that the people I had spoken to in US from USBC were asking questions and another appointed member had suggested we should meet up to discuss the subject.
Then, once I sent the info I received a short mail suggesting they had had similar ideas presented.. then no further contact. The USBC reps no longer return emails and the other member has not bothered to do follow up with contact.
So I'd say they are not interested in anything I have to contribute.

OR--they're looking to find a way to implement something similar ( maybe even heavily based on your system) without any obligation to you.

Like I say--" I'm not young enough yet, to........... " But I'm old enough to know a bit about people.

I would say that someone else though of a very similar system to Pete's & submitted it to the committee before Pete did.

Back
Top Bottom