Another 900 bowled

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
Not approved yet but looks all good....

Bob Kammer Jr. of Crown Point, Ind., rolled a perfect 900 series Saturday night. The series is still pending formal approval by the United States Bowling Congress.

Kammer, who would be the 18th bowler in history to roll a USBC-approved 900 series, tossed 36 consecutive strikes in the Saturday Invitational League at Stardust Bowl II in Merrillville, Ind. He would be the first bowler from the state of Indiana to record a certified 900 series.

"It was unbelievable, and I was nervous," said Kammer, a 41-year-old right-hander. "It's not something that happens every day."

Competing on lanes one and two, Kammer said the rest of the league stopped play to watch him after the seventh frame of his third game. "I was just thinking, please carry," Kammer said in describing his final strike. "I was taking deep breaths and trying to get the ball clean off my hand."

Kammer works for Ford Motor Company and may be a local celebrity when he returns to work. "My phone has been blowing up," Kammer said. "I am having my 15 minutes of fame and it's fun."

Kammer's 900 series would be the 19th USBC-approved in history. The first USBC-approved 900 occurred Feb. 2, 1997 when Team USA member Jeremy Sonnenfeld rolled three consecutive perfect games in Lincoln, Neb.

There has never been a 900 on Sport Bowling lane conditions.

Quite amazing really... i mean to not leave a cold 10 pin or anything cold for that matter out of 36 shots is unlikely.

Well done to him.

Illegal lane ride for every ball of the 10th :p:p

Nah seriously, well done to him, but it'll be interesting to see how many have been thrown in 5 or 10 years time....

Hmmmm Perfect !!!!

The problem Is to move ahead with technology as we have and made the game so easy, So George doesnt say we are living in the past !!!! ,,,, Maybe the maximum score needs to change.

The maximum score Can't change you say, EXACTLY !!!!!!!

Another nail in the coffin of bowling credibility.

For those who think that all the technology is good for bowling, time to change your attitude and stop being part of the problem and start being part of the solution.

It seems it's hard for bowlers to bury their ego in the interest of the 'sport' of bowling. Throwing 220 ave on a ditch with cheater balls is more important than ave 190 and earning it.

Bowling is struggling as any achievement that you can make in the sport is hard to be proud of when the first thing anyone asks is "What ball were you using?". No one asks golfers or tennis players what racquet or club they won with. It's going to take a lot of people to pull their heads out of the clouds and come back to earth with a thump, and a 180ave instead of a steriod 220ave before the sport will be able to move forward.

Funniest thing in that video... Watch the guy in the hat on lane 4.

He's like... "Hurry up and get off my lane, I wanna bowl..", then drills the pocket for a strike.

hmmm better take the graphite out of golf shafts and tennis racquets and reduce the racquet back to its original size and wooden frame...oh and no changing the tension of the strings based on the weather conditions either.

This might sound naive but good on him!

At the end of the cold, hard day, you still have to execute and repeat and repeat......

Chris, i do agree with you mostly about the ease that technology has made the sport compared to when i was bowling in the 80's and early 90's especially as a junior and early adult (no youth back then), but the common denominator with now and then, is execution hasnt changed and the repetition still will always remain.

Admittedly, a little more (perhaps lots more depending on conditions) margin for error these days but still have to kick the corners as Royza said.

Technology advancements need to start getting capped, this not like or even close to say taking graphite out of golf club shafts, or going back to wooden racquets, this is about capping parameters now of limits of chemcals and composition of coverstocks for 1 example only, another core and pin placements, perhaps even going to altering drilling specs.

There are a range of things the bowling authorities can do to limit and define conditions we bowl in, be it lanes, balls, whatever and this is where it needs addressing the most.

Once again, congrats to old mate who threw it. Is still an awesome effort and needs acknowledgement of the achievement.

So what the game is easier. All the forum whinging in the world wont change anything.

Everyone is on a level playing field in that everyone has access to the same gear in one way or another. Im sick of hearing how much harder it was in the old days and how its no longer a sport. Whislt it might be true realistically what can we do about it? Make it harder and scare people off (because it will)? yeah great idea.... really kill the sport off.

There is a fine balance and it seems no one is willing to lookk for it because its easier to just continue to point out how easy it is nowadays. Some people need to make a decision, leave the sport and be done with it or stay and stop complaining and accept the changes in the sport. Im normally pretty easy going but why everythread turns into a 'back in the old days' theme just frustrates me.

Not to mention given recent events this surely is not the biggest problem we have.

*end rant*

I gotta say not sure how calm I would be of approaching a 900 series. Approaching a 300 is still hard enough on my heart lol

This can't really take any credability out of the "sport" considering none of have been bowled on "sport" patterns. House conditions are just that, easy house conditioning for everyone, not just your sporting players. If anything, it should just weaken how valuable it is.

It's like putting tiger woods on an easy golf course, & not expecting him to smash the course record. Know how to play, & of course you will smash the easy stuff.

protip: "know how to play & of course you will smash the easy stuff" - by no means does that mean someone who can average 220 on a THS knows how to play. Before that statement gets torn apart by haters... I think we can all agree here that average is meaningless in todays day & age.

The simple solution is to not sanction any honour scores bowled on house conditions.

This will reinforce to the majority of those bowlers out there who naively believe they are par bowlers that they need to challenge themselves. That means in order to achieve recognition in the sport they need to seek out sports conditions that dictate that you actually need to "open your eyes" to be able to score.

Anyone who has read the "High Tech Balls" or "Billy Hardwick" threads on the PBA forum will be aware of what needs to happen to re-establish the credibility in our sport. They won't tone down the equipment so use lane conditions and the pins, kick backs etc to control the unrealistic scoring pace.

So what the game is easier. All the forum whinging in the world wont change anything.

Everyone is on a level playing field in that everyone has access to the same gear in one way or another. Im sick of hearing how much harder it was in the old days and how its no longer a sport. Whislt it might be true realistically what can we do about it? Make it harder and scare people off (because it will)? yeah great idea.... really kill the sport off.

There is a fine balance and it seems no one is willing to lookk for it because its easier to just continue to point out how easy it is nowadays. Some people need to make a decision, leave the sport and be done with it or stay and stop complaining and accept the changes in the sport. Im normally pretty easy going but why everythread turns into a 'back in the old days' theme just frustrates me.

Not to mention given recent events this surely is not the biggest problem we have.

*end rant*

I think you may be missunderstanding what some of us, Me included
are trying to point out about history or the old days or whatever you
want to refer to it as

It is not that people want to go back to the old days of rubber and plastic bowling balls and pretty poor wooden lanes, I like the new lanes and balls

It is about saying " WOW Fred Bowled 300 in Perth Friday night league"
and bowlers talking about it for a week
OR People talking for a week about how someone averaged 210 in
a Grand Prix Tournament and shot a 250 and 260 game

AND it is about the 12 x 300 games max bowled in a year that
every bowler new about and talked about and wanted to achieve
because it was the ultimate goal

NOW it is Fred bowled 300, 269 , 300 and some people talk
about it for 2 minutes because it has been devalued due to
the fact that there are 100's of 300 games bowled now

Have a look next time you watch someone shoot a 300
I have seen people go " Oh well I bowled another one"
and just move on to the next game

Also sorry to say but the ability of bowlers today is no
better than in the old Days In fact the bowlers of the old
days could spare , something that is lacking today

Technology is turning the achievement of our perfection
or 300 into a joke with little or no credability

What the answer is to fix it , Im not sure, maybe
it is specified lane conditions to teach accuracy
maybe it is Flat Gutters etc

What I do know is something needs to happen

Just my view

I think you may be missunderstanding what some of us, Me included
are trying to point out about history or the old days or whatever you
want to refer to it as

It is not that people want to go back to the old days of rubber and plastic bowling balls and pretty poor wooden lanes, I like the new lanes and balls

It is about saying " WOW Fred Bowled 300 in Perth Friday night league"
and bowlers talking about it for a weekOR People talking for a week about how someone averaged 210 in
a Grand Prix Tournament and shot a 250 and 260 game

AND it is about the 12 x 300 games max bowled in a year that
every bowler new about and talked about and wanted to achieve
because it was the ultimate goal

NOW it is Fred bowled 300, 269 , 300 and some people talk
about it for 2 minutes
because it has been devalued due to
the fact that there are 100's of 300 games bowled now

Have a look next time you watch someone shoot a 300
I have seen people go " Oh well I bowled another one"
and just move on to the next game

Also sorry to say but the ability of bowlers today is no
better than in the old Days In fact the bowlers of the old
days could spare , something that is lacking today

Technology is turning the achievement of our perfection
or 300 into a joke with little or no credability

What the answer is to fix it , Im not sure, maybe
it is specified lane conditions to teach accuracy
maybe it is Flat Gutters etc

What I do know is something needs to happen

Just my view

Hi Geoff,

thank you for putting some clarification into the topic. And i get where you are coming from regarding turning our perfection into a joke due to how common a 300 game is.

I have bolded some of your comments and im unsure what anyone could do about what people say or how they react to a 300 being bowled. The leagues i have been a part of over the last 2 years have not treated a 300 with a "righto onto the next game" attitude. The 300'er gets congrats from the whole league and the last frame has been met with the league stopping to watch so maybe it is just from my perspective. I dont doubt you are telling the truth and to be honest it is a shame that the achievment of bolwing 300 is met with such a throw away attitude.

There are lots of bowlers out there who wont bowl a 300 even though they will try for years, me included probably and i agree that at the time if it happens id also want it to be recognised as some sort of achievment.

My rant was because im sick of hearing about all of the above, unless someone in the right position can come up with a way to bring back the respect the sport deserves without making it so hard that it scares people off then we are just going around in circles.

Interested to hear others views on what CAN realistically be done and if its worth a trial somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom