Nationally Ranked Adult Event in Perth

Will Eastern States Bowlers Be Willing To Bowl an Event in Perth?

• Yes

Votes: 37 68.5%
  • No

Votes: 17 31.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ratty133

The Brow
Hi All

What sort of prizefund, format and entry fee would the eastern states bowlers see as reasonable to come to an event held in perth?

With the loss of the perth cup last year, and the cannington classic the year before, i am trying to regenerate some interest for the rest of the country to travel west to compete in an event over here.

Any suggestions anyone has will be greatly appreciated and taken on board.

Many Thanks in advance

Matt Watson

dont shut the right out, when you want people to travel to the other side of the country.

as was the case with cannington

AND NO, I"M NOT ANTI LEFT HANDER, just anti 80% of the cut being left handed ;)

Hi Guys

Great to see votes coming in.

Does anyone have any suggestions at all for a preferred format? The tournament would only be held over 2 days.

Matt

well depends really but you would have to make it 3 days for people to travel and get there monies worth on the airfares cause you would be there for a total of 3 days if it was 2 day tournament make it 3 days then people would see at least there getting there going to have a usefull trip with a 3 day tournament...

Chris

just my 2 cents.

Chris

The Perth Cup was held over 3 days but alot of bowlers couldnt get the extra day off work for the travel or to bowl (most people flew in on the friday, with the tournament saturday, sunday, monday) which was why the numbers started to dwindle.

I can definately see where your coming from, and will take it on board.

Matt

well depends really but you would have to make it 3 days for people to travel and get there monies worth on the airfares cause you would be there for a total of 3 days if it was 2 day tournament make it 3 days then people would see at least there getting there going to have a usefull trip with a 3 day tournament...
Chris
just my 2 cents.

but then wouldnt you have to be there for 4 days?
i dont quite understand where youre coming from
so i may be wrong

daniel d

Hi Matt,

I don't think the issue here is getting players from the eastern states to come to Perth for a ranked event. As long as the prize fund is reasonably good and people can get a well priced airfare and accommodation then most of the usual suspects will make the trip.

The major issue for an event in Perth is to get the locals to bowl. The last Super 6 here only attracted a field of 45 and the last Perth Cup was short as well. I don't know how you turn this around and it may just be the case that tournament bowling in Perth is terminal.

One thing that Alan Skupin tried in the 2005 Perth Cup was to offer a discounted entry fee for people with an average of 180 or less. I understand about 20 people took advantage of this offer. Some of these people may well have bowled anyway but I am sure that there were some first time players who would normally have not even considered it given the normal price.

Good luck in your efforts to get something going again in Perth.

Steve J

Hi steve

Totally agree with what you said, we need the locals to bowl. I am in the process of writing up a proposed entry form with prizefund, format, entry fee etc and am looking at incentives for the locals to bowl (such as the reduced entry fee like scoops had). Please if you have any suggestions, dont hesitate to tell me, as the more input i have, the better tournament we can run.

Matt

Hi Mat welcome back. First of all where are you looking at holding this event and if its Cannington then refer to post from Craig but I think they have a Kegel now so shouldnt be an issue. Secondly you MUST get the locals bowling. Getting a good number of Eastern States players is not really too hard providing an adequate prize fund is on offer and quite a few stay with friends here anyway. Talking to most of the guys I know it really got down to dollars and cents in the end as to why they stopped bowling in our tournaments so any sort of incentive such as the one they tried in Perth Cup is worth looking at. I know I would prefer a 2 day format but how that suits some of the Easteners I dont know as a lot of them come over on frequent flyers and take whatever flight they can get some on the Saturday so maybe a late squad on the Saturday might help. Try and get a hold of Al as I know he had some new ideas before the demise of Fairlanes. Hope it gets off the ground mate. Baron

Just copy the Perth Cup format, a tournament doesn't stay around that long without good structure to it (not to mention good staff to run it). A 2 day event would be better also.

Probably a note in the rules also mentioning no 2 handed bowling :D

Hi everyone

Format has been sorted, entry fee sorted, only thing we are in negotiations about now is the prizefund and game rate, and the date. We are hoping to have this event off the ground this year. How does everyone feel about holding the event on the weekend of the 30th June and 1st July?

Qualifying will be one day and then second stage qualifying and matchplay on the second.

I will release an entry form once i have been given a game rate so we can work out prizefunds.

Matt Watson

Ok Matty most importantly what are we gonna call this tournament.

Maybe bring back the WA Open but leave Perth Cup to our memories.
Perhaps a combination of the two....The Perth Open?

Heres some more ideas:-

The Western Classic

The OPS Western Sling

The WA Watson Western Wonder by OPS

Baron

ps The Belmo Retirement Fund should not be considered!

ballzy, mate at the moment, on the table we have 1) the perth open and 2) the striker classic/cup

as i said, ill have an entry form out soon so we can possibly get this event off the ground this year

matty

I thought i would say that given the time off from work and also dependent on the time of the event would depend on whether i would be in a position to come across to perth to play.

I will say that at the moment i would be looking at tournaments at the moment as picking up experience as i am a middle of the road bowler in relation to my average and not to bring myself down but i would be kidding myself if i thought i could finish somewhere near the top of the tree against the great class of bowlers that bowl in Australia in these events at the moment but i am hoping to become as good as any other bowler in the league given enough time and experience.

So in saying all this, although i would love to compete in Perth unless i get a nice win fall of money it might not be in my best interests to travel to perth just yet but i would certainly love to when i am in a better position to compete against the best Australia has.

But you never know lol.

Michael Mclaren
tickets for short lol

Hey guys we have been given a game rate and are doing up an entry form now. How does everyone willing to participate feel about holding the event on the 30th June and 1st July this year?

Same...Pending Flight costs at the time, I too will be trying to get there...Good to see bowlers trying to organize events rather than leaving it up to the centres or Managers...Great work Matty

Back
Top Bottom