Lower Cost? Whats Your Thought's

Why aren't Manufactures sponsoring more events
After all we are using and buying there equipment
Without us they wouldn't exist

I think you'll find that we need to approach the distributors for that kind of sponsorship. The distributors in Australia are our contacts to the manufacturers in the states. I know that QubicaAMF sponsor the NSW Sport Series...........Animal sponsors a few events up in QLD as well. We have guys that sponsor events here, but im fairly sure we will never be able to get the kind fo support that manufacturers give to events in the USA and Europe, we simply dont get the numbers to warrant the support.....

I agree i dont think the discount is the right way to go.

I think we need to look at having a handicap aspect to some of adult tournaments. At Vic150, we have a scratch and handicap division and i think this works great because lots of juniors then feel as though they are good enough to bowl the tournaments and even some of the lower average adult bowlers. Top 12 scratch and Top 12 handicap bowlers make the cut and then the top place scratch bowler and 12th placed handicap bowler is paired up together and it turns into a doubles tournament.
Vic150 is probably my favourite tournament of the year because just seeing the smile on some of those kids faces when they get paired up with AMP is priceless!

An idea a few of us thought of at Asian Champs this year was to hold a doubles tournament and then compete for prize money that way. This could be a way to encourage some of the juniors/youth/lower average bowlers to enter some of the tournaments because they would get to see a side to some of the adult bowlers that they would have never seen before and give them the confidence to try and bowl against the big guns in Australia.
I think if we were to this though, it would have to be random selection, for example AMP and Belmo wouldnt be able to be paired together. I would love to see a adult bowler and then a junior bowler paired together.

As the parent of a junior bowler, this is my observation.

There is at least one junior and/or youth tournament or championships almost every month of the year. The cost of these alone is prohibitive to some parents. Most need to choose which are the 'important' ones to attend. The entry fee is the least cost for most of these. A junior (and some youth) cannot drive and therefore needs an adult with them, just to play 'taxi driver'.

As an example - the entry fee for National Youth Cup in Perth in 2013 is $200.00.
Airfares (bought when on sale) $800.00 for myself and daughter (Sydney/Perth/Sydney)
Accommodation - 3 nights (Fri, Sat ,Sun) $750.00 - apartment style so we can make our own meals
Car hire - 3 days $250.00
Petrol and Meals - approx $300.00
The cost for myself and child - $2300.00

Her friend is staying with another junior in Perth. His costs
Entry fee $200.00
Airfares $400.00
'Thank you' gift to the parents for transport, meals, etc - $100.00 (negotiable)
His cost $700.00 or less

Let's look at something closer to home (we live in Newcastle)

Sydney Youth Cup in May 2012.

Entry fee $220.00
Hotel style accommodation - 1 night $150.00
Meals $100.00 (need to buy lunch and dinner Saturday and breakfast on Sunday)
Petrol $80.00
Cost for myself and child $550.00

My point is - it is the 'add ons' that cost, not the tournament fees.

What we need is more 'billetting style' accommodation and help with the cost of the 'extras'

There is at least one junior and/or youth tournament or championships almost every month of the year. The cost of these alone is prohibitive to some parents. Most need to choose which are the 'important' ones to attend. The entry fee is the least cost for most of these. A junior (and some youth) cannot drive and therefore needs an adult with them, just to play 'taxi driver'.

As an example - the entry fee for National Youth Cup in Perth in 2013 is $200.00.
Airfares (bought when on sale) $800.00 for myself and daughter (Sydney/Perth/Sydney)
Accommodation - 3 nights (Fri, Sat ,Sun) $750.00 - apartment style so we can make our own meals

Entry fee $200.00
Airfares $400.00
'Thank you' gift to the parents for transport, meals, etc - $100.00 (negotiable)
His cost $700.00 or less

Entry fee $220.00
Petrol $80.00

What we need is more 'billetting style' accommodation and help with the cost of the 'extras'

Good point raised there. Having been through that stage of my bowling career already, i can say that it wasn't easy when choosing which events to go to (especially living in perth). But, going through Junior Nationals, you all make friends, and these friends were always happy to help out each other when we all travelled interstate. I now have the luxury of having good mates in every state and territory so if i'm travelling alone, my costs can always be kept to a minimum. And the same offer is to all of them when they travel to Perth.

Im sure there are people that will be willing to help others out when they travel. Bowling is one great big community, and the whole sport thrives when everyone works together and helps out.......

Thanks Matt
Perhaps we need a register of who is willing to host. My daughter is not friends with anyone in Perth and even if she was, the 'regular' juniors, that often travel, already have the 'house full' sign up. I am sure there are many adults willing to open their homes that may not even know this event is on.

Entry fee $200.00
Airfares $400.00
His cost $700.00 or less

Entry fee $220.00
Petrol $80.00

I am pretty sure TBA do have some deals in place with one of the car hire places but i am not too sure which one.

When i am travelling to tournaments, very rarely do I hire a car. I try to stay in accomodation that is within walking distance of the bowl and then transport to and from the airport, just ask around and I am sure someone is heading that way and willing to take you to the airport.

In terms of where to stay, I often look at staying at Caravan parks because they are a lot cheaper then motels are and lets face it, you are only sleeping in the bed so doesnt really matter if it is really really nice or not. Most caravan parks have villas that have a mini kitchen in them as well.
I would be relooking at the place you are staying at in Perth because that is very very expensive for three nights and only two people.

For flights, sit down and look at the events calendar as soon as it is released and then jump onto the airline websites and you will get a great deal! I paid $59 each way to Qld back in July which I thought was fantastic. Also sign up to each airline because then you willl get emails of when they are going on sale.

I am pretty sure TBA do have some deals in place with one of the car hire places but i am not too sure which one.

When i am travelling to tournaments, very rarely do I hire a car. I try to stay in accomodation that is within walking distance of the bowl and then transport to and from the airport, just ask around and I am sure someone is heading that way and willing to take you to the airport.

In terms of where to stay, I often look at staying at Caravan parks because they are a lot cheaper then motels are and lets face it, you are only sleeping in the bed so doesnt really matter if it is really really nice or not. Most caravan parks have villas that have a mini kitchen in them as well.
I would be relooking at the place you are staying at in Perth because that is very very expensive for three nights and only two people.

For flights, sit down and look at the events calendar as soon as it is released and then jump onto the airline websites and you will get a great deal! I paid $59 each way to Qld back in July which I thought was fantastic. Also sign up to each airline because then you willl get emails of when they are going on sale.

The deal is with Europcar Bec.

Hi all loving the thoughts and ideas.

With the two post below last week i started to work on a program that ppl can register they names if they are able to help to put blowers up for a few nights.. Fingers cross this register will be thru TBAQ so who ever is comming up for bowling anywhere in QLD they can go thru TBAQ and ect.. Just another way to try and cut cost for bowlers from interstate and over all will be another great way to meet ppl. I will let you all know wen this isup and running but i am hoping by the end of the year.

Keep the ideas and thoughts coming for me more we talk about things like the better , cause just never know wat might change just around the corner..

Cheers Doug

Good point raised there. Having been through that stage of my bowling career already, i can say that it wasn't easy when choosing which events to go to (especially living in perth). But, going through Junior Nationals, you all make friends, and these friends were always happy to help out each other when we all travelled interstate. I now have the luxury of having good mates in every state and territory so if i'm travelling alone, my costs can always be kept to a minimum. And the same offer is to all of them when they travel to Perth.

Im sure there are people that will be willing to help others out when they travel. Bowling is one great big community, and the whole sport thrives when everyone works together and helps out.......

Thanks Matt
Perhaps we need a register of who is willing to host. My daughter is not friends with anyone in Perth and even if she was, the 'regular' juniors, that often travel, already have the 'house full' sign up. I am sure there are many adults willing to open their homes that may not even know this event is on.

Hi all loving the thoughts and ideas.

With the two post below last week i started to work on a program that ppl can register they names if they are able to help to put blowers up for a few nights.. Fingers cross this register will be thru TBAQ so who ever is comming up for bowling anywhere in QLD they can go thru TBAQ and ect.. Just another way to try and cut cost for bowlers from interstate and over all will be another great way to meet ppl. I will let you all know wen this isup and running but i am hoping by the end of the year.

Keep the ideas and thoughts coming for me more we talk about things like the better , cause just never know wat might change just around the corner..

Cheers Doug

I complement you on your thoughts and suggestions But it does raise a a few issues.
Hosting Families
Working with children checks, Police Checks etc.

I reality and in this day and age would you send your child to stay with complete strangers???

I wouldnt no matter who says they are reputable

I complement you on your thoughts and suggestions But it does raise a a few issues.
Hosting Families

I reality and in this day and age would you send your child to stay with complete strangers???

I see your point and have thought about that and if it was say a junior a an adult would have to be with them but its not just for the juniors it woukd be for all bowlers..

Hosting Families

This would be the biggest problem, is people opening up their homes to people they dont know. I know when people come over for the Joondalup Cup, i usually have between 4 and 7 people stay with me and my brother, but we only host those we know and have known for a while. Who knows, if you let anyone in, they might go and raid your safe or steal belongings, you never know. Also, as nev has pointed out, anytime a junior is involved, those people need to have the WWC Check and/or Police Clearance, all of which costs more money. As a team Manager/Coach, i have both already, but there are plenty of parents and other bowlers around who do not, and in regular circumstances, have no need to obtain these qualifications.

Its a double edged sword really..................

This is a great subject Doug! Some really good input here too.
Coming from my experience with the junior ranks there are quite a few things to consider and these are tournaments/events already in place for these great young bowlers throughout the year.
Doug, there is an Intercentre competition that goes on all year round being about 6 or 7 rounds and are all held from Mt Warren down as far as Lismore and are probably the best breeding grounds for a junior to start plus another great event in TQI Under 21 Intercentres all year round. Then in between these, there are a number of other events such as SEQ (Nell Weir Memorial) in early January, 3 day event, February we hold the SE QLD Junior Zones, 3 day/2 weekend event, STS in March, 2 day event (for the higher ave bowlers), April is Junior Nationals/Pres Shield, 2 weeks, June/July is Junior/Youth State Development Camp, 2 day event. The period between May and August is a financial recovery spot for nearly all the families I know of plus they love to bowl in Twin Tour which is in and around these other dates too. August/September there can be 2 weekends taken up for those who want to roll off for Presidents Shield. Then for those that have made the team, 1 day each month is a training session until the following April presents itself! Ken Mills Kup is in early October, 2 day event, another STS, 2 day event and the big one, Sydney Junior Cup in October too.
Put all these together plus any other events I have missed (local centre comps) and the purse/wallet is empty.
The junior/youth bowlers would bowl every weekend but one thing stops them and we all know what that is!

Throw into this book reading, June/July weekend watch this space for a junior/youth tournie popping up in Sth Qld ;)

Sorry for the encyclopedia guys but this may put light on a few points for anybody wanting to create an event for the future.

Best way to go, is as a team.
Team shared accommodation, team shared bus costs etc. All ends up being much cheaper.
I wouldn't worry about the tournament fees themselves.

I notice earlier in this post, it was stated " why not approach the Australian Distributors for
sponsorship ". You tell me why any of the distributors would/should even listen to most
bowlers, as there has been no reciprocation from bowlers for two years. That is just sheer hypocrisy.
go and approach your good buddies " the re-sellers " and ask them to put something back
into our sport that they are raping, and I wish you good luck with that. All the Australian
Distributors have invested a lot of money in the business/industry/sport, and the only time
you ever hear from anyone in the industry is when someone thinks they "DESERVE "
sponsorship. Stop and have a good look at the big picture.
The one thing that is correct in this thread is the fact that the only way our sport will
advance, is with the co-operation of all stakeholders in the sport/industry, and so far, after 40 years
in the game, I still can`t see that happening.
Rant over
Animal

I notice earlier in this post, it was stated " why not approach the Australian Distributors for
sponsorship ". You tell me why any of the distributors would/should even listen to most
bowlers, as there has been no reciprocation from bowlers for two years. That is just sheer hypocrisy.
go and approach your good buddies " the re-sellers " and ask them to put something back
into our sport that they are raping, and I wish you good luck with that. All the Australian
Distributors have invested a lot of money in the business/industry/sport, and the only time
you ever hear from anyone in the industry is when someone thinks they "DESERVE "
sponsorship. Stop and have a good look at the big picture.
The one thing that is correct in this thread is the fact that the only way our sport will
advance, is with the co-operation of all stakeholders in the sport/industry, and so far, after 40 years
in the game, I still can`t see that happening.
Rant over
Animal

I understand wat u have said here nd argee. Im trying to find a nameing right sponsor for a tourny nd i have alot alot to offer them in return (bang for buck) but it is hard. I would love to have a pro shop or ect to sponsor it..

If you bought 100 balls from QubicaAMF, Heritage Bay, Brando or Animal in the last 6-12 months...I'm sure they would be happy to sponsor you. This industry needs some backscratching. If you don't have a proshop, or don't use these guys for any other means, or get your gear from the internet guys then it just cant happen.

I have spoken to a cpl of pro shops and have even offer to use them as a suppler as part of sponsorship. Back scratching has been put on the table lol

Back
Top Bottom