How much does it cost to bowl Rachuig 2002

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
Just wondering how much it will cost bowlers in each state to travel to Sydney this year for Rachuig. In Queensland, your looking at $1000 minimum, with a total cost being around $1500 for food etc.

How much in other states??

You obviously havent included the lead up to RAchuig as in extra practice and equipment.

Would like to hear from some West Aussies and their Personal thought on outlays

Your right scoops, it all adds up and it costs thousands to bowl Rachuig. The reason for the post is to show people how much Rachuig really cost in a the grand scale of things and what would it looks like if this was the " Australian Champion of Champions tournament " (I made this up for the purpose of the post).

Let's break it down

14 teams (7 players per team) = 98 bowlers
paying on average $1000 each (thats being generous)

98 bowlers @$ 1000 each equals = $ 98,000

If you turn that around and take $98,000 and put it in a tournament with 98 bowlers. Your looking at a first place cheque of $20,000, 10th place being $2,000. Top 32 being $800.

You wouldn't be paying for shirts, jackets etc etc. Yes you'd have to pay your way there but with those sort of figures, who wouldn't travel? The hotel would be the major sponsor along with a few others. With that sort of money, TV might even want to get involved.

Just food for thought
icon_wink.gif

Good one George. What you have done is highlight the fact that if we just continue to do what we have always done, because we have always done it, then time changes circumstances, but we remain in a time warp. For instance, there was no "one day cricket", when bowling was in its infancy in the 1960’s. I am one of only a few people still bowling, who was bowling at a reasonable level, EVEN BEFORE THE A.T.B.C. was formed, let alone the T.B.A.

We’re still doing most things in the same general way that they were done as soon as the ATBC was formed, almost exactly forty years ago, and a lot of that could have been lifted straight out of an "AMF Management Manual", produced in the 1950’s (that’s true believe it or not).

Look around and tell me how many sports are still doing the same things, by generally the same methods as they were back in 1962? You won’t find any at all, with any sort of high profile. If you do find any, then they and us and the dinosaurs can all be displayed in the same Museum.

When I was at the TBA Summit in 1999 or 2000 or whenever it was, I was talking to a group, some of whom were involved in organising the N.S.W. State Championships, and when I expressed the view that eligibility to be selected for this or that, depending on such things as competing in your Centre, City and Area Championships and State Championships, had very little to do with selecting the best teams or bowlers and should be dropped, somebody said something like "but how would we get the entries then?"

It appeared that people were, and probably still are, more concerned with an easy way to attract entries, than finding a way to come up with the best bowlers, without subjecting those bowlers with ridiculous costs before they got to bowl even one ball in anger, eventually.

NT bowlers are looking at approx $1800 minimum, depending on the "special" airfares available at the time, number of championship squads bowled prior to Rachuig etc. That figure of course goes up when you take into account leave without pay for the 10 days you are required to be away (some have no option in that regard), and add in your personal expenditure whilst in the big smoke. We unfortunately don't have the luxury of cheap $77 one way air tickets from this end of the world,like the bowlers from WA, so our costs reflect the distance we need to travel.
Of course, it all boils down to choice....we choose to live here, AND we choose to try and represent our home state/territory....so we just pay it!

Cheers

Jag & Bronni
(soon to be QLD'ers!!!)
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

George,

You'd better get your calculator out again as there are actually 16 teams - 6 states and 2 territories x male and female.

Back
Top Bottom