How Much Money????

boybrowny

Here is a question for you all - and lets cut straight through the B/S for honest answers please....

How much money would have to be on offer in order to get the majority of Australias best bowlers to a tournament?

$10,000 $15,000 $20,000 first prize? or more?

ALSO - how far down the field would you see the $1000 mark in pay-outs to entice you to spend money on airfares, accommodation and $300 - $500 entry fee?

what would it cost to bring Australias best together?

boybrowny said:
Here is a question for you all - and lets cut straight through the B/S for honest answers please....

How much money would have to be on offer in order to get the majority of Australias best bowlers to a tournament?

What drugs are you on up there in the territory Pete?

Isn't that what the Super sixes are doing?

Who isn't showing up to the Super Sixes that would be better than let’s say Walshy, Belmo, Bottomley, Frilingos and co????????????????????

Would be interested to find out who they are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or maybe i missunderstood the question!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jase
(AKA Captain Free Hook)

Yeah my thoughts exactly Jase.....who in Australia at the moment is better than just a few of those names you mentioned (and I can think of more) that isn't turning up to bowl because the prize money isn't good enuf?

Peter,
I assume you're talking about getting the best bowlers to travel up to Darwin. Considering the fact that getting to Darwin would be a major expense in itself, I feel it would take about $1,000 for the last finalist (16th place?) with a top prize somewhere in the vicinity of $5,000

If you're looking for a tournament director let me know..I could be convinced to do the job.

Apologies all....

Sorry Fellas -

You are correct Wayne, I was talking about attracting the top bowlers to DARWIN. I have only been back in Darwin for a couple of years, but I did notice the reduced numbers of National level bowlers that travel here...

The Walshes support the venue religiously (which is great to see by the way) - as does Emma, George F, Phil Ramsey, Belmo came up last year, but many of the others do not come up....

Here is the qualifying list for last year for example... (link to TBA website - Arafura results).

http://www.tenpin.org.au/2004_Arafura_Classic/results.htm

ANYHOW - from my experience the main draw card of a Tournament is it's prizefund followed by prestige. Given that every second year the Arafura Classic is run in conjunction with the Arafura Games - there are several international bowlers that attend this tournament. Yet not all of the elete Australian bowler.

So.... how much money would have to be posted in order to make the on and only Nationally Rated tournament in Darwin become a regular stop for the same calibre (and numbers) of bowlers that attend the Super Six.

PS - if it's fishing you all want, I am sure I can organise a boat or two to take some of you out!

Hope this is a little clearer.

I will be coming up this year but that is only because I got massively discounted airfares.

Prizemoney is an attraction but the bottom line is how much it is going to cost if they do not make the cut.

The fringe bowlers (those who don't regularly make cuts) will not travel unless the associated costs can be kept to a minimum. This would mean that they require super cheap airfares and cheap but liveable accommodation.

The only hope you have got is that Virgin Blue run ridiculously discounted airfares to Darwin that allow for travel around the time the tournament is on and enough of the National Rankings circuit bowlers get wind of it in time.

Also arranging billited accommodation and airport pickup for those who want to make the trip up may also help. They in most cases could reciprocate for a tournament in their home state.

The cheaper the costs that can be negotiated like travel and accommodation the more likely that the bowler will travel.

The lower the entry fee the better as this is a non negotiable cost. The more places the tournament pays outside of the cut will also have an influence on whether the bowler will make the trip or not. Not simply how much is paid out to people who make the cut.

Obviously given they have the cheap airfares and accommodation the tourist angle may be enough to persuad those leaning either way.

Would appreciate any suggestions on accommodation and sights.

Costs & Prizemoney

interesting debate - having same one with a few re the Ebonite Enduro 88 in May. NZ perceived as a 'big cost' to get to if you don't get in the cut. I had a major chat with Jason B and he mentioned that Ozzies liked smaller but more payouts/ Is that true? We've NZ$16,600 up, paid to 14th place - what's teh verdict? PS I'm off to Sydney next week for $240 - Pacfic Blue is giving Qantas and Air NZ a run!

boybrowny said:

$10,000 $15,000 $20,000 first prize? or more?

ALSO - how far down the field would you see the $1000 mark in pay-outs to entice you to spend money on airfares, accommodation and $300 - $500 entry fee?

I went in a tourney once where the entry fee was more than first prize(first for boys 100, girls 60). You did win like state entry, but still...the year before first place was 375 :?

Back
Top Bottom