how many Women are trying out for Rachuig

strop

Elite Athlete
Evening, Please can some let me know how many girls are trying out for Rachuig this year, I sort have looked at some of the results for ACT and Tassie plus our own here in SA. Could be looking at the wrong results but I nkwo we had 5 try out, Tassie had ? what 2 bowlers. ACT has 5 bowlers.
Whether there all relying on drafts I hope other states have pleanty of bowlers.?

Since I'm old and not very bright, can someone inform me if this is correct.

Cheers

Tony

Evening, Please can some let me know how many girls are trying out for Rachuig this year, I sort have looked at some of the results for ACT and Tassie plus our own here in SA. Could be looking at the wrong results but I nkwo we had 5 try out, Tassie had ? what 2 bowlers. ACT has 5 bowlers.
Whether there all relying on drafts I hope other states have pleanty of bowlers.?
Since I'm old and not very bright, can someone inform me if this is correct.
Cheers
Tony
Yes only the two this year Tony.
Jackie Crick from Launceston and Allison Potter from Hobart.
Tasmania are requiring drafts for the women's team, yes.

With one of the requirements being that to nominate for the draft you must have rolled off for you home state's team. I doubt there are going to be enough females to go around with S.A. TAS & ACT needing 9 between them especially if N.T. & W.A struggle to fill there teams.

For the first time that I can remember, the NSW women will only have 6 bowlers.
With what has been posted above, that could be up to six teams without a full team from their own states!!

And what does this tell you:

that when there are tournaments there are no separate female divisions to encourage participation and experience

that not having both male and female teams going overseas discourages female participation in the sport

apart from the economical and family reasons

The national and state organisations should follow the ASC guidelines and recognise that females in sport need consideration, not discouragement.

Isn't that right Mary, let's get in trouble together......

Leanne.

Not all tournaments have seperate divisions cause there is not enough female bowlers around to fill their own division tournament. When you do have a women's event the tournament only gets about 30 entries. Not good enough!

They do have men & women Australian team's travelling overseas, it's all seperate now due to the FIQ events going too long if both divisions bowl together. There is no discouragement in this category.

On the business side of the sport. Tournament's are revenue for the proprietor of the hosting centre and in most cases run at a loss of income, therefore decide not to hold tournaments as they make more income through the social and party functions.

The women who average less than 200 know they cannot compete against the elite women in the sport so they don't bother bowling in tournaments. The women's event that are on should field atleast 50 bowlers, but you only manage to get half that number. Why?

It would be good to structure something were all average bowlers are involved through a national coaching program to improve their games to a high level.

A survey to all interested tournament bowlers should be sent out for them to answer some questions that need to be asked. This way we can determine what's happening to tournament bowling.

Regards,
Christian

The women who average less than 200 know they cannot compete against the elite women in the sport so they don't bother bowling in tournaments.

Speaking as one of those bowlers, I may not be able to "compete" but that is not what stops me from participating. The very high entry fees is what stops me. $200 is my benchmark - I don't mind paying the $170-190 fees that events such as Vic 150, Qld Ladies Classic and KnK charge, as I get to bowl with the better bowlers at a reasonable price. Anything over $200, for me, is just monetary suicide, irrespective of the fact that I don't bowl tournaments to cash. We don't get better unless we place ourselves in the position to learn from our experiences, but that doesn't mean we have to be stupid about it either, and pay $300+ .... makes for a very expensive lesson :pencil:

Yes, you are right Christian, there are not enough female bowlers around to fill their own division....and that is because ?
My comments were highlighting where we are with female participation and perhaps some support would be the answer.
Overseas teams - I was refering to the female world youth and East Asian Championships not the stand alone Womens World, Mens World. And I do not think it is the responsibility of the proprieters, but the bowling organisations to encourage participation.
Some tournaments are for females/female division:
QLC - 49 entries to date
K & K - 39 entries to date
Sydney Youth - 30 entries to date
And just like the mens tournaments or single division tournaments the bowlers, under 200 average, still compete against all the Georges, Andrews and Jasons. Both women and men compete for the experience, its just a bit harder for the girls to get anywhere near the cut.
Leanne Triulcio.

NT Rolloff this weekend as part of Arafura Classic Singles and there will be no need for draft bowlers for us. Squads for Classic filling fast as Asians arrive for Arafura Games. Very happy that entire Australian Ladies Team entered in this event. Squads will be posted tomorrow when Ian Nicholls settles in at Planet Tenpin.

June Voukolos

Back
Top Bottom