Ranked Event in Tassie, Would You Bowl?

GUS

Hello everybody,

This nature of this topic is to try and raise some Interest in getting a Ranked Event back in Tassie. With the announcement of AMF MOONAH being the host centre of next years Adult Nationals (WHICH IS ABSOLUTLEY AWESOME), I think this may be the perfect oppurtunity for AMF Bowling Centres Australia to shell out some $$$ and bring a Ranked Event to Tassie, prior to the Nationals. Us Taswegians have really been hanging out for a Ranked Event as we havent had one of any great significance since 1992 (which had around 70 odd entries if I recall correctly). Thats a pretty long time between drinks and I think we are well overdue.

The question was asked at SA Cup of some of our "Elite" bowlers, "What would Bowlers want to come to Tassie" ie prizefund wise. The replys were around $2k for 1st and about $800 for 8th or 9th to cover costs and make a little bit of money (obviously paying down further based on entries), and that it is probably cheaper to Fly to Tassie than to Perth (Not that I want to take anything away from Perth). Tony Goodwin was all for getting an Event to Tas and had started the ball rolling by asking "what they want", but since he has moved on to Brissy, its now out of his hands and it sort of got put on the backburner, more like right to the very back so it didnt exist. Bowlers ask us all the time "When are we having an event in Tassie so we can come and bowl there! (and see some of the sights too!)".

With AMF's CEO , Roy M (aka ilive2bowl), mentioning in another post that AMF were "totally committed" to re-engineering Tournament bowling around the country, I see this as their oppurtunity for Tasmania to have a really successful event, that may have some longevity for future years.

So with this post, I am urging, No, PLEADING, with Roy and the RM, Warren Stewart, to please, please, please, bring an event to Tasmania! I know Wazza has a soft spot for Tournaments in Tasmania with a couple of Hoabrt and Launcenton Cups to his name!! (Maybe even a Burnie Cup, can't remember!)

This would also give Tasmanians more exposure to the Kegel Technology that some of us see maybe 6 or 7 times a year, but others see just once a year, at the Nationals. (Thats of course if they would bring it across the Water for Us, which I have no doubt they would.)

So, if everybody that would consider coming to Tassie for an event (or Tasmanians that would bowl) could make a post on this topic, I think, with enough interest, we could have a really good shot at getting an event over here. The stronger the response, the further the foot gets in the door.

I look forward to (and I am HOPING for) a strong response.

Thanks all,

Cheers

Hayden George

Yeah, l would consider bowling as well. Was / will to travel to Perth for events so why not a little closer to home.

I am sure the travel expenses would not be that much different to other area's.

Lance Dyer

Hey there Gus,

Sounds like a fantastic Idea.....I have no doubt you'd get the numbers...you can count us in

Mary and Barry Dodds :multi:

A trip to Tassie with a bit of bowling thrown in...........??????

What a sterling idea... (remember those old adverts??)

Sounds lovely - I am sure we would like to give it a burl if it fits in with the home calendar....

Jane.

Keep up the good work Gus 8) 8) 8)

Hi

Absolutely!! Lacky and I would love to come to Tasmania for a tournament!!

Kyles

Great post Gus and I will be the first apart from yourself to say that I wouldn't be able to resist bowling in a home ranked tournament if the opportunity came about. I hope that everyone down here gets behind this as well because it will need strong support here, not only from those on the big island, to get going

Fingers crossed that it does!

great post gus. as mentioned, there is no reason why a tassie tournament would not be successful. Travelling to tassie is not that expensive, and no differnet to some of 'us' tassie bowlers who have in the past and those that still do travel regualrly to mainland tournaments all over the country. with nationals headed our way im sure there would be plenty of people wanting to get down and have a bowl in the house where they will compete in nationals.

i would definately bowl .... and yes that means at some stage this year i will have to hit the comeback trail in order to try and make the rachuig team for next year ....

A tournament in Tasmania could go ahead if the following was met:

1. No sambucca to be consumed the night before
2. Bowlers are not to visit gay nightclubs before the day of a tournament
3. Tasmanian bowlers to hide their second head

GUS said:
Tony Goodwin was all for getting an Event to Tas and had started the ball rolling by asking "what they want", but since he has moved on to Brissy, its now out of his hands and it sort of got put on the backburner, more like right to the very back so it didnt exist.

I wouldnt say that. Tony has moved to Brisbane but it isnt the assend of the world Gus :) He is still National Tournament Director and will still have a say on where tournaments go.

I'll have a fiver on a National event in Tassie next year !

milkman said:
A tournament in Tasmania could go ahead if the following was met:

1. sambucca MUST be consumed the night before
2. Optional for bowlers to visit gay nightclubs before the day of a tournament
3. Tasmanian bowlers can hide their second head if they wish
4. Victorian bowlers making special appearences should try to average more than 147

FIXED

After Arafura next month Tassie will be the last frontier for me to bowl in in this country I would definately travel to a ranked event if one was included on the calendar for next year.

As preparation for the Rachuig and Nationals it would be great to see one put on at the newly refurbished Moonah bowl.

A resurrection of the Hobart Cup (still got one of those Tassie shaped entry forms from way back) or even a Tasmanian Open would be fitting reward for all the bowlers their in Tasmania.

By the way does that mean the backup centre for the Nationals is Launceston?

My suggestion would be to extend the Super 6 to a Super 8 for next year by including an event in Tasmania and an event in the ACT. Maybe even incorporate the former Brunswick Australian Cup now you are all under the same umbrella. How about it Warren and Roy?

I have to agree with Robbie that I would prefer to have the event when the weather is going to be kinder to non Tasmanian participants.

Maybe sometime in early Autumn before the weather turns cold would be the time to run one. Or in Spring a month or so out from the Nationals.

Summer does not seem to fit in if we go by current ranked events with the SA Cup in January and Cannington in Feb. The Brunswick Australia Cup rules out December.

Yes us Victorians respond to cold as well. I know this is hard for you NQLDers to fathom but it is true.

guys, as far as i know, they are planning on keeping the roof on moonah bowl (eg: it will be an indoor event!) so weather shouldnt be too much of a factor. :lol: :lol:

anyway our weather isnt to far different to victoria ... maybe one or two degrees lower at the most .... i agree its bloody cold in winter and it would be nice if we had something closer to qld's climate, but we do play an indoor sport. i can not ever remember being cold while bowling in moonah (and all championships etc are through the colder months -july,aug etc) so hopefully that won't detract from numbers!

Hey Guys!..

If theres a tourney here in Tassie,It would be something to WATCH!!..

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Back
Top Bottom