Rankings Points Stripped ?

Graham

Staff member
It took only 2 events into the year, but it appears that we have the first casualty of TBA's new National Lane Conditioning Policy.

The Cairns Open, held on the Australia Day long weekend in Cairns, has at this stage - not been allocated points towards the National Adult Rankings. This event, along with the SA Cup held in Adelaide on the same weekend, were the first 2 events of a 16 strong TBA Nationally Ranked Calendar for 2004.

TBA has set a maximum of 3:1 oil ratio (middle to edge) for all ranked events where the oil length is 38-42 feet. Where the oil length is between 35 feet and less than 38 feet
the ration may go to 4:1. The previous minimum five units of oil on the edge boards rule has replaced by the simple requirement of oil to be present edge board to edge board.

TBA's rules also state that a TBA representative will visit the centre where a Rankings Event is to be held in the week prior to the event to do a lane reading. The representative will complete a second lane reading prior to a squad in the Ranked Event. If the lane condition does not comply on the second reading then no Rankings Points will apply for the event. Bowlers competing will be advised that no Rankings points will apply. The event in question will be taken from the Rankings list for the following year.

It is not known if the points havent been allocated to bowlers because of non adherence to these rules or because there are other issues involved. Either way, bowlers have not been notified.

TBA are not willing to comment at this stage until an investigation is completed. We will keep you updated.

Graham,

Thanks for the update, as usual you have your finger on the pulse.

As far as I am concerned having the TBA investigate this matter is like the Nazis investigating the genocide of the Jews (ie they are the ones responsible). If they had adhered to their own policy then this would have been avoided.

I guess this is what happens when you let the monkeys run the circus/lunatics run the asylum. :evil: :evil:

Below is the email sent to me from John Coxon in relation to my rankings points from Cairns, this was recieved on Wednesday 28/01/2004 and I have not received anything since to say that my points have been stripped.

Hi Steve
Well done. Yes, you have been credited with 80 points for the win. Your name
is not on the listing because you had not registered. Now that you have done
that, you will be on future listings. You are currently 11th on the National
Men's Rankings.

Regards
John C

C'mon TBA stop sitting on your hands and come out publicly and explain two things;

1) Why you didn't adhere to your own National Policy???????

2) Why I and the other bowlers who competed in Cairns should be victims of you incompetence and ineptness?????

Steve Hunt
(Very Disgruntled Bowler :evil: :evil: :evil: )

PS It has been 2.5 years since my last tournament win, so this meant a lot to me especially with the rankings points. So I would just like to thank you for souring what should have been a great achievement.

Im with you steve this is my first major placing since
restarting serious bowling 12months ago.To be stripped
of points through no fault of our own is a insult.
THEY SHOULD ALL BE SACKED AND PEOPLE PUT IN WHO
KNOW WHAT THEIR DOING.This has taken the high out
of my placing .
thankS a lot TBA.
By the way I also sent a email to john coson .Still no
reply.
Lee Matthey

We haven't had a 'real' ranking system on a national level since the demise of Pin Action magazine anyway. It didn't matter to them if you averaged 190 or 240 to win the tournament either. Some tournament scores are going to be high, some low. Where people finish is what counts so let the scores take care of them bloody selves!! preferably without 'official' interference. If for example i finish say, 8th at the Australian Open i couldn't give flying frogs a$$ if i average 199, 219 or 235 to do it . The sun's still going to come up tomorrow whatever the damn scores are, as long as no one type of player has a huge advantage over any other to me there's no problem.

I received this email on the 26th

Hi all
Current Rankings including the SA Cup and the Latrobe Valley Youth Cup have
been posted on the TBA web site at www.tenpin.org.au. Results from the
Cairns Open were received by fax but were not readable. Points for that
event will be added as soon as possible.

Regards
John C

I checked the TBA web site and the points where there. On Friday the 30th they where gone. I am yet to receive an email or any other notice on why this has happened or that there was cause for investergation and the points had been removed until the matter cleared up or just taken.
What is TBA up to, did they think that they could just sneak the points away and hope noboy noticed.

wayne u seem to think u have all the answers on how to get bowling in australia back on track, so please put up some suggestions on the forum so maybe people can head in the right direction.

everyone seems keen to kick the tba board for trying to bring some creditability back into the game with the new lane policy, there was allways going to be problems from the start as there is with any new rule any governing body in any sport tries to bring in.

i do feel for the guys that have lost they points and all i can say to them is look at the bigger picture and hopefully in the years to come it will make australian bowling a better place.

Bugger oil patterns, i'm just going to stick to finding something that works on whatever i'm facing. THAT"S bowling as far as i'm concerned. Anyone with me on this?

I'd prefer to see our major tournaments played on a condition that rewards good shotmaking and penalizes poor shots. Is there anything wrong with that?

True that all sports are changing with progress but the top level of athletes always play on the most demanding of conditions, compared to the local amateur. Why should bowling be any different.

Guess that would mean a few of the bowlers just might have to take up practicing before competing..

it looks like they have added the ranking points back on today it says ranking points after cairns dated 2-2-04.

wayne isn't that exactly what the tba board is doing with the 3 to 1 lane policy??? so u should be supporting them not kicking them at every chance u get .

Rankings points sttripped

Just to let everyone know,I have just been speaking to Peter Coburn from TBA ,and the Rankings points from Cairns Open have definetly been reinstated,thanks to Peter for his prompt reply.

Judy Hunt :D

The dictionary defines the word half-cocked as
"To go off too soon, because of inadequate preparation"

I feel this defines my posts relating to the "Alleged" stripping of points from the Cairns Open.

I should have done what a much older and wiser person than I did, and rang Peter Coburn direct, to which they received a very friendly and thorough explanation of what was happening.

It is for this reason that I extend my sincerest apologies to both Peter Coburn and other members of the TBA who may have been offended by my posts.

While I feel that there are a few teething problems that need to be ironed out with the new lane condition policy, the last thing it needs is for people such as myself to be going off "half-cocked" without being in receipt of all the facts.

Kind Regards

Steve Hunt

if the policy has not been enforced, the points should be stripped

was it enforced ???

the TBA will lose credibility if it has renegged on what was a straight forward application to a rule

everyone had plenty of notice

and if any one id to blame its the tournament organisers

i know its hard on the bowler, like in steve's position, but its just like having an illegal ball, or bowling on an unsanctionable condition, both aren't the bowlers fault, but result in the bowler recieving no recognition

i know its happened to me

Chucky having an illegal ball is the bowlers fault. The bowler my not drill there own equiptment, but they better know weather it is legal or not. A bad lane condition is not the bowlers fault, unless they had been advised proir to bowling on the condition.

both have been done by a third party

and you tell me how many bowlers know what there gear is about

some do most dont

same with the lane conditions, we just operate by trusting the professional that is supplying the factors for us to perform on or with

i feel for everyone in this situation

the good of all this, is its going to sort out the pro's from the amatuers, and by that i mean the honorable tournaments and tournament directors

It is for this reason that I extend my sincerest apologies to both Peter Coburn and other members of the TBA who may have been offended by my posts.

Well done Steve,

It takes a big man to air his opinion/grievances on a forum for all to see but its takes a bigger man to admit when he may have been wrong.

Clint

I to am guilty of sprouting off half cocked and I
should have waited to see what panned out.
But I still think we should not have been put in that
situation to start with.I still dont see my name on the
rankings.Am I looking in the wrong spot or dont they
include the cairns points yet as of the 2/2/04.

lee matthey
A LITTLE RED FACED

Lee I think you have to nominate yourself to be alligable for the points then they will include you on the list. But don't quote me on this.

Back
Top Bottom