TBA LANE CONDITIONING POLICY 2004

Graham

Staff member
This was released on the TBA site a couple of days ago, interesting reading.

http://www.tenpin.org.au/Rules/TBA Lane Conditioning Policy.pdf

NATIONAL RANKED TOURNAMENTS LANE CONDITION POLICY 2004

Why do we need a policy?

The Board of Tenpin Bowling Australia supports the concept that a higher level of skill should be required to excel in National Ranked Events. Currently, league type “house shots” are being used in the majority of ranked events. Simply put, these lane conditions give the bowler more room for error in both accuracy and speed, giving the ball more chance of hitting
the pocket, thereby raising scores through more strikes and simple spare leaves.
The intention of this policy is to enhance the skills of elite bowlers in this country. The ranked events are a guide to selection for national representation, and as in any elite sport a higher standard is expected to test competitors at the major level. Our sport like golf is one that can change conditions to test its players. No one would expect short rough and easy pin placements at the US Golf Open, why should Australia set the same easy conditions for its major tenpin tournaments.

House shot vs tournament condition.

When a tape reading is taken from the house shot type condition, the graph shows a high ratio of oil in the middle of the lane, than what is on the outside 6 boards. These ratios can be anywhere from 4:1 times more oil in the middle, to 10:1. Obviously the ratios are much higher in centres where NO oil is being laid on the outside 6 boards. It is not necessarily the case that the higher the ratio the higher the scoring, in fact some very high ratio conditions can be unfair to some bowler types. But on the whole the higher the ratio the wider the area the bowler has to strike.

As the case in many successful tenpin countries, WTBA events and on the Pro Tour, tournament patterns are much tougher on the bowler than the league shot. Ratios are in the vicinity of 2:1 to 3:1. The high “top hat” thatis seen in the league condition graph is chopped off. There is still more oil in the middle of the lane, but the steering effect of the “wall” is greatly
diminished. Higher skills are required. Rotation, speed repetition and the ability to play different angles become important. These skills are ones that need to be practiced.

Tournament patterns around the world vary of course depending on who is organizing the event or the knowledge of the lane man. Successful tenpin countries like Sweden want bowlers to be tested when it comes to their major events, whilst other countries use similar patterns to what is currently being done here in Australia.

What is the new Ration policy for our events?

TBA has set maximum of 3:1 ratio for all ranked events where the oil length is 38-42 feet. Where the oil length is between 35 feet and less than 38 feet the ration may go to 4:1. The previous minimum five unit rule is replaced by the simple requirement of oil to be present edge board to edge board. This maybe one or two units, but the same above ratio exists.

How is the ratio measured?

After the tape reading is completed the average reading in units of oil on boards 18, 19, 20 must not be more than 3 times greater than that on boards 3,4,5,6,7. Tape readings should be taken at 3 points on the lane. Between 8-10 feet, 25 -30 feet and one foot behind the end of the buff line of oil.

What effect on scoring?

When we look at the results of tournament played on pattern with ratios of 2:1 like the WTBA World Championships, some PBA Events and some Sport Bowling competition, the scoring pace was over 225 average to win. Various factors will effect the scoring on a 3:1 ratio pattern including surface, type of oil, length of buff, how well oil is cleaned off the lane and preparation by the centre. 3:1 ratio patterns tend to give more styles of bowlers a chance to play, with accuracy coming into play with the “area” that a league house shot gives being somewhat diminished.

Centre Preparation

Obviously for most bowling centres the focus is on setting a good consistent house pattern that keeps the league bowlers happy week to week. Those centres that wish to run a National Ranked event will now need to do some additional preparation and testing of a pattern that falls within the new policy guidelines. Regardless of whatever type of oiling machine used, oil is laid down on the lane by a brush type buff roller. Oil build up in the roller from a house pattern can corrupt a new pattern being either tested or being done on the Saturday morning for the first squad. It is recommended to run the brush dry for 6 lanes to take the “blind” pattern out of the brush, before starting a new pattern.

Testing the pattern in the weeks before the event either by tournament players practicing or by way of a mini tournament is the best guide for the centres to see if the pattern is fair. It also gives local bowlers some “inside knowledge”, as well as increasing practice play by visiting tournament players. This is something that is missing from our tournament scene with most patterns being the same tournament-to-tournament, year-to-year.

TBA Lane Policy procedure

A TBA representative will visit the centre where a Rankings Event is to be held in the week prior to the event to do a lane reading. The representative will complete a second lane reading prior to a squad in the Ranked Event.
If the lane condition does not comply on the second reading then no Rankings Points will apply for the event. Bowlers competing will be advised that no Rankings points will apply. The event in question will be taken from the Rankings list for the following year.

Like I have expressed to numerous people, I am all for it but enforcement is going to be their only hurdle! It doesn't necessarily mean the scores will be low either, it just means that there is minimum amount of oil on the lane which promotes bowling and not throwing. Bring it on, especially in Queensland!

I totally agree with the lane conditions policy. I bowl in QLD and we have the min amount of oil on our lanes which is good as it makes you really work at your bowling.

The only thing is that some of the other bowlers still throw the ball, but you can't expect everyone to be perfect. :)

Graham..Thank you for bringing that to our attention. It's a shame that no one from the TBA posts here any longer. We could really use a section on TBA news and rulings. I for one find the official TBA site to be a bit too muddled for my reading tastes.

Hey

great idea, seriously, however,

it says that it is good for the sport to lay the pattern down in the weeks leading up to the tournement so that players can get used to the pattern, fantastic, but what if it is illegal??? it also says that a rep will come in during the week of the tournement, and then also before the squad, this leaves no time for any changes to be made. If a tournement looses it ranking points because of this, and by the sounds of it, if one lane is out, then thats it, what if the winner of the tournement missing out of winning the rankings at the end of the year because of that??

I releasise that the emphosis should be on the centre to provide a fair, legal pattern, but what if the pattern was checked on a certain lane, and then re-checked on another lane just before the squad, and due to topograhy (mr. davey!!!) of atmospheric condtions, it is illegal by a small amount, even though it is the same pattern? I mean in the last policey they were allowing for the varying conditions through the house. i mean what if one lane was 3.15:1 and the other lanes were around 2.90:1??? are they going to average out that as well??

they say varying factors will effect the scoring on a 3:1 pattern, what about the varing factors that will effect if it is 3:1 when it is put down?? i know of some centres that the washing part of there machine is such that lane 1 is fine, but by the end of the centre it is just smearing the oil cause it cant clean properly.

Now i know that if a centre is smart they will work in this, and get it well within the limits, and thats the way it should be, but like George said, how well will they enforce it???
I am not trying to destroy the idea, but hopefully bring up some good points

roy boy

I think this is a good idea, but I have a problem with some things

if the centre doesnt comply on the day, why penalise the bowlers that pay their hard earned to attend the tournament ?

if the centre doesnt comply on the day - what is going to be achieved by stripping rankings points for that event and for the year after ?

What support is going to be provided by way of training to lane technicians to allow them to learn how to put down a 3 to 1 condition ?

Some lane techs in Australia are cluey, but some also don't have a clue how to add more oil to their lanes, let alone put down a 3:1 ratio. So - if they get it wrong - then not only does the tournament have rankings points stripped, but for the year after also.

It seems stupid that we go from no policy to one that is going to be enforced like that. TBA should work with the centres in education, and if they dont get it right then give a warning, educate them as to how to go about fixing it, then if they don't do anything about it next time around, then have the (effectively) 2 year ban.

Also - whats going to happen if 10 out of 12 events dont pass in the year - does that mean the Rankings winner will be decided on those 2 events - what happens to those 10 events the following year ? Another 2 event National Circuit ? It could happen - especially with the proposed harsh penalties.

I think the policy has merits, it just needs to be thought through properly, and have all concerns answered.

i think it's a good idea to regulate it, and at the same time agree with grahams point.

a simple solution would be to ring the tba head office and ask them if they will provide training into the details of lane oiling/preperation etc.
If they WONT provide any training then you can throw the point of how do they expect to throw at the centres an oiling standard and not help them carry it out.

otherwise, hire some oil smart mechanics :p (at least for a week)

Can't remember us being to fussy about lane or house condidtion in the past too much, why are we now.!!! While your at it , if you want skill, go back to non-reactive, no-one seems to worry about them making the sport look easy.

Go Home

Pandora's Box has just been opened in a big way.

The person, who on the day says that the condition is not up to scratch, will need broad shoulders.

If the bowler's enter into a "contract" ie entry form, and at the start of the tourn, the bowlers are notified that ranking points DO NOT become part of the competition, I would expect an immediate refund of the whole entry fee (including GST) to be available to those bowlers who do not wish to compete because the contract has been broken.

Can a bowler then ask for a refund of travel costs to get to the tourn? etc etc ??

If you understand the story of Pandora's Box and not just the name, I could have expanded these points till I ran out of electronic paper. I'm guessing that you could have too.

2004 will be an interesting year.

is the minimum outside board requirement 5 units

and seeing s.a cup is so close, what will be the estimated units layed down, will it be minimum or what ? will it go 38' or up to 42'

people have restrictions to what gear they can put on a plane or in a car

all for the change, keep up the good work, but more info needs to be supplied on this one

in regards to GBS and his pandora's box theory, i couldn't agree with you more

but who has ever got a refund, when they have been ripped off in this sport in the past, i know the ex president of the atbc told a major tournament to bowl knowing the condition was illegal, then when awards were bowled they were denied

maybe there needs to be provisional points, maybe half points for uncomforming tournaments, who have in the best interests tried to conform, i know it shouldn't happen, but if it did why should the poor bowler who paid his money in good faith, be ripped off by things that was out of their control

wow

Now that is a BIG step for the TBA to take, and its kinda looking as if this policy has been rushed in for the new year......

Its a great idea but I just cant see how it premotes a "fairer" sport. There are so many things that will kill interest in the big touraments, it may get to the stage where people are afraid to enter touraments in fear of illegal conditions.

Gazman

No Way

Sorry my friend, NO HALF POINTS.

If these rules have two legs and two feet then these rules MUST be able to stand on their own .... two legs and feet.

No More Mr Inbetween.

Let's Get Serious.

Cast see why people are making a fuss

I really cant see why people are making such a big fuss over the TBAL new lane oiling policy for nationaly ranked tournaments,

I created a less than 3:1 ratio pattern in less than 10 mins, so it is possible to do very quickly.

also, just anonther note, our W.A. Shield team is training on this pattern that I created.

When the pattern that is set for the Pres Shield is made, i will endouver to contact Andrew Frawley so that i can program the pattern into our Kegel.

Ian Jones

Kelmscott Tenpin Bowl
Kelmscott W.A.\

Back
Top Bottom