2 Canberra Seniors Cup Mar 27-28 ACT Tuggeranong
3 Seniors Australian Open May 1-2 VIC Sunshine
4 Venuto Cup June 12-13 VIC Geelong
5 Sydney Seniors Classic June 26-27 NSW Castle Hill
6 SA Seniors Classic Jul 24-25 SA AMF Village
7 TBA National Seniors Cup Oct 18 NSW Rooty Hill Sydney
8 Burndy Electrical Seniors Cup Nov 20-21 VIC Epping

Notes that were on the TBA press release

Over the past weeks the TBA Sports Development Committee in conjunction with representatives from the National Events sub-committee have reviewed the amount of Ranked events in the National Tournament Calendar. It was decided that the amount of ranked events in all divisions would be limited to a maximum of 8 in 2010.

All applications for ranked events in the youth, senior and women’s divisions were accepted as there were 8 or fewer applications received in these divisions. However the committees were required to intervene with
the open male division where more than 8 applications were received.
The Committee considered the following factors when determining, which tournaments would be ranked:

• Geographic spread
• Feedback from the bowlers survey conducted earlier in 2009
• Past performances and reputation of each event
As you may be aware AMF has decided to no longer commit to the Super 6 tournament circuit in 2010 and therefore many of the traditional tournaments will no longer be conducted next year.

The South Pacific Classic will not be run in 2010. Much of the prestige around this tournament hinged on the winner taking their place at the AMF Quibica World Cup. Therefore with AMF no longer hosting the SPC, the
Australian representatives will be determined by other means. In keeping with trying to ensure a fair geographic spread of events, the committee decided that the NSW Open would be a better alternative in 2010. This does not prevent another sponsor from taking the SPC in 2010 or in the future and the committee understands that this is an event with strong bowler support. If an appropriate tournament sponsor can be sourced, the reinstatement of this tournament will be considered when preparing the ranking calendar in

The NSW Open is an event that has been taken over by the Campbelltown Bowl and therefore will not be an AMF run event. There will be a date change here to 11th and 12th of September.

The Arafura Classic Singles may be considered a shock inclusion for the 2010 calendar. Arafura Classic Singles is Australia’s only International event which is also an internationally ranked event. Additionally the Northern Territory Government has been a strong supporter of Tenpin Bowling and is the only state in Australia where bowling is included in its elite sports program. Therefore whilst participation numbers from Australian bowlers have been low in the past, it is felt that its inclusion in the 2010 calendar is what is in the best interests of the sport holistically. The strong relationship Tenpin Bowling has with the NTIS is important for the long term success of our sport and is the only event in the open male division that is not on the east coast of Australia as no applications for ranked events received from either SA or WA. Arafura will also be adding incentives for bowlers to participate and we invite all bowlers to view the format and prize list and support this event.

I'm disappointed about the SPC, its the most prestigious event we have had, so many great champions this country has produced won this elusive event. Now no one will be able to add their name to the list.

Sorry to say Arafura better get more than 18 entries, this event cost us Surfers Paradise this year and that 50000 flew off into the wind.....

From memory ( which can be faulty ) the South Pacific first was run in 1965 or 66. Was there not a break in the late 80s or early 90s, and then it started again?

Anybody?

There was 1981 when there was a seperate WC qualifier, and i think the 90's where there was a super 6 type circuit and then one yr had a qualifier too

Hey Adrian, will you be heading to Arafura or defending your title at Switch. These events CLASH and a decent tourny like the Switch Open will suffer to a poorly attended and poorly run setup like Arafura has been for a years.

Firstly I am with George on the demise of the SPC. I think putting all your eggs in one basket (Aus Masters) is a backward step for our sport and only time will tell if I am right or not.

As one who spent eighteen months bowling around the country in just about all the ranked event a couple of years back I can see there are positives in the implementation of the streamlined events calendar. However we still need some work done in order to make it financially viable for all bowlers wishing to bowl on the circuit to do so.

While I first thought no events until April was a bad thing I think it could work well as it gives people a chance to get the money together for travel, accommodation and entry fee costs. Not to mention valuable time to work on their games.

The only drawback to this is you will need to put aside a huge amount in this lay time period as the scheduling of the Arafura and K & K classics in consecutive weekends is what I see as a major flaw in the current calendar. Now as we know the Arafura is scheduled on its weekend due to it being run in conjunction with the Arafura Games. Therefore we need to have the K & K Classic event moved for the 2011 Calendar with early March a possible option.

With 4 events in each half of the year it promises to be a great step forward in attempting to get a viable ranked events circuit going again. However, we still need a little tweeking done for it to be what the sport requires.

Pretty sure ill be at your place EJ, think i snagged a free entry!!! A baby on the way may have the final say there though

SA Cup as well as another three events were dropped by AMF - with the time line from completion of ranked calendar it would have been difficult for any other centre to pick it up.

The SPC does not have the World Cup qualifiers for 2010 but I would imagine AMF will pick up for 2011.

The NSW Open was not 'taken over' by Campbelltown City Bowl - the manager and several members saw the need to promote a state ranked event that will stay in NSW and had to negotiate with TBA to find a suitable date. Sponsorship has been guaranteed by Interbowl Australia as they are committed to support bowling in NSW.

With geographical spread of events I hope the states will not be jeopardised when national events (Championships, Youth Challenge, National Youth Cup) and transient events (SPC, Aust Cup, AMF Youth Cup) might fall in the same state.

Leanne

It will be a test of the pocket big time.

Ladies get to do FOUR majors in 39 days via NT, QLD, VIC and QLD. This is way too tight and ...

Men get to do THREE majors in 33 days via NT, QLD and VIC, again way too tight (financially).

Then Youth get FOUR events in VIC.

This will be a test of the hip pocket. Sad but true.

It's alright to book now if you have the finances. Im sick of hearing the non financial committed bowlers telling us to book now, just spend upto $1000 booking flights, entry, accommodation now, when you have mortgages and other living expenses to pay on a monthly basis as well.

Sorry but that just doesn't add up when your on an average income.

Buy a house and have a few children and then tell me you can book now.

No SPC... It's a sad thing to see. Especially when AMF want to cut their losses and write one cheque for the year, then TBA appear to be hell bent on getting international players here to snavel the top-heavy Masters pot. I agree with previous posts that this is not a good move. It's a simplistic answer to a complex problem. Personally, I think I'll spend a bit more time drilling balls and bowling semi-locally this year. (With the exception of going to Vegas in Jan-Feb.) At least when you drive, flights don't matter.

Bring on the MRD Bathurst Pit Stop!

Back
Top Bottom