Committee Elections

alexnjudy

TotalBowler
Hi all,
My question is let's say a committee was elected last year at our end of the year dinner, not this year during our Reformation Day/ First day of bowling, where most members had how to put it in a nice way...heaps of grog :D and did not include all the bowlers that have joined this year. Are they considered a legal committee for this year?
Thanking you for your advise.
Alex

Difficult to answer that one. Lots of Committees are elected at prizegiving dinners at the end of the season.

Certainly it does not give any new or incoming bowlers any say into the make up of the Committee, however most new bowlers are not too concerned about a League Committee.

If the Committee has done a reasonable job in the previous season I would feel happier being in their hands than in the hands of any new or unknown quantity.

Technically it might not be totally the right thing to do, but it can be a fairly safe option.

Legally - you wont know unless you protest or challenge the action starting with your Local Association.

Thanks Andrew. I would also like to say this post is no way meant to discriminate any league or committee members but just a question that needs clarification so that we know where we stand as a league.
Thanks once again.
Alex :)

What do your Terms of Reference or Constitution (league and or Centre) say about the election/nomination process?
Was there a quorum?

But if everyone is happy then fine - best thing to do is put it to your members at the 1st night/day bowling - ask if they want for next year the committee to be elected at the first night of bowling 2009. If they do change your terms of reference/constitution asap.

Ohhh yeah a word of warning - make sure your executive of the committee (Chair/President, vice Chair/president, secretary and treasuer) read their roles and responsibilities written in the TBA Consitiution too (it amazing how much work these guys have to do for their league) :D

Cheers
Jason

This is so funny, i need to tell you guys. Two weeks ago, the President and the Vice President resigned from our league. I was elected as the new President last week by majority of bowlers that attended the league meeting. Because we didn't have 50 % of our league bowlers, they told us to come back again with Proxy votes from the rest of the teams which we did. The meeting was called last night and guess what? The meeting was only for the committee and the team captains to decide a new President. We were told The TREASURER wants to " PROMOTE" herself as the President :D And they almost got away with it.Thank God some of the team captain walked of the meeting. The rest of them voted a new President. Only team captains and the current committee voted. When we asked how that can be done. MTBA rule it seems.
Anyone else have heard of this Golden rule?
Thanks
Alex :)

I think you should contact the MTBA on this and get a rep to attend your meeting so it goes correctly. Looks like a lot of people making rules up as they go. Commonsense needs to prevail here. Just my opinion.

Phil

Thanks Phil. Tba advised me that i am still the legally elected President. All they have to do now is call for another meeting and ask our bowlers if they are happy with the election and if not they have to call for another election. That meeting was chaired by the centre manager who came up with this bizarre ruling. What i don't understand is why is he chairing our league meetings when we have the league secretary sitting right beside him :confused:
Never mind let TBA deal with them. I still have faith in them.
Regards,
Alex

Back
Top Bottom