FIQ and WTBA - further info

elsie

Further to the report submitted by World Bowling Writers Association Chairman, Mort Luby, here's some further information, and background on recently-elected FIQ President, Jessie Phua from Singapore ....

“I’m very disappointed with lack of professionalism by the previous (FIQ) administrators in ensuring a smooth transition of the administrative functions of our IF … but looking at it positively, I’m starting with a completely clean slate,” Jessie Phua told reporters during a characteristically frank interview at the QubicaAMF Bowling World Cup in St Petersburg this morning.

Jessie Phua is not one to mince words. An elegant, articulate businesswoman and mother of four, Jessie was elected President of the Fédération International des Quilleurs (FIQ), the governing body of the world tenpin and ninepin bowling, at the sport’s Congress meeting held in Mexico in August this year. According to FIQ statutes, she officially assumes the role immediately, but courteous requests for the handover of records and administrative details have apparently fallen on deaf ears with officials of the former Presidium.

Her credentials for bowling’s top post are impressive. A Nominated Member of the Singapore Parliament, an Executive Member of the Singapore National Olympic Council (and member of no less than five of its Standing committees), Jessie Phua is also President of the Singapore Bowling Federation, with an involvement that dates back to 1994 when she was Chairman of the SBF’s Youth Development Programme.

And judging by her determination and achievements since assuming this role at national level, Mrs. Phua will bring a renewed energy, forthrightness and transparency to the entire spectrum of the sport of bowling. “My message to office bearers is to treat the sport and their responsibilities with respect and with integrity,” she said.

#

Lynne Clay

Back
Top Bottom