Ball Brands - Where is AMF at AMF centres!

Hi Jim,

That's right, it is about it being your choice and nobody has the right to tell you your way is wrong. Because it's your way.

Remember when you turned 18 and were given the right to vote.

The online purchase is good for some bad for others. I work long hours so online is great. Research, buy and receive all from my desk. Putting aside time to bowl once a week is hard enough.

The same goes for the Pro-Shop, they can sell direct or indirect, being online. They should do both and service all customer needs. Every retail out in the world should have both options, face to face or internet to door.

A lot of sites don't give an address as they are wholesale only, but when your click on that web page you are in their shop. That's their address, you are sitting smack in the middle of their sales space. I do a lot of online, maybe because my career is I.T. Some companies turn me away as they are just too dodgie, others are no different to being there.

But, as we have said, it's a choice. Good for some, bad for others.

Not much to it than that.

John,

The current distributor for AMF bowling balls is Absolute Bowling Supplies, through Andrew Tonkin in Melbourne.

AMF Bowling Centres and AMF300 Bowling Products have been separate entities now for over a decade. Their bowling balls are poured and designed by 900Global. They are not registered this season on the PBA national tour due to the prohibitive costs involved, but I believe they have maintained their "Grass Roots" registration, allowing them to be used on the Regional Tour.

Hope this helps

Re - the online dilemma for pro shops. It's unfortunate but proshops today are paying for the sins of yesterday. Similiar to the Gerry Harvey fiasco, if you were to ask people they would tell you that they were ripped off in the past. An example, I saved nearly $300 on a Storm Wrath (including delivery) and they were prepared to drill it for me as well - I just needed to email my drilling specs. The price of balls has come down in Australia now but only because they have been forced down.

I think that the prices are now reasonable, and will buy locally if I need to buy another ball.

Dave

Re: the ball jig

Why am I having all these visions of illegally weighted balls? Not that CG matters these days.

Bon 316 and others, remember to calculate in the exchange rate at different times. Over a few years it has varied by almost 50c.
At current rates the price in US $ is near enough equal in $ Aust.

Sometimes you need almost 2 $A for one $US., so if it's $200 in the US, it's $400 here. ( or you would need to send $400 to the US to make the buy.)

Nothing's as simple as it seems.

By the way, John, it was 21 to vote at the time, and I was in a place called Korea.

Probably explains the old-fashioned outlook ??

Hi Jim,

Your outlook is yours and good enough for me. I am not the judgemental type.

I am more than happy with the decisions of others as long as they are happy with it and it does not directly affect me, I really don't care.

But 21 to vote, that is putting a few extra miles on the clock.

Hi Jim

Thanks for your feedback on this. I was merely trying to say that the proshops today are being punished for the greed of the proshop operators in the past.

It was while our dollar was low that we discovered it was much much cheaper to buy online. Now that the dollar is high, it is even better for us.

Just to clarify. I bought a Storm Wrath around 1998/9 when the dollar was extremely low. The price of the ball in america was less than US$70, and the price in Australia was more than Aust $450.

The ball was delivered to my home address for Aust $170 including delivery. I bought this ball from a proshop, not the manufacturer or wholesaler.

Hi Jim

Thanks for your feedback on this. I was merely trying to say that the proshops today are being punished for the greed of the proshop operators in the past.

It was while our dollar was low that we discovered it was much much cheaper to buy online. Now that the dollar is high, it is even better for us.

Just to clarify. I bought a Storm Wrath around 1998/9 when the dollar was extremely low. The price of the ball in america was less than US$70, and the price in Australia was more than Aust $450.

The ball was delivered to my home address for Aust $170 including delivery. I bought this ball from a proshop, not the manufacturer or wholesaler.

Thanks for the clarification. Both informative and interesting.

Jim

I thought I would post this for the internet buyers.
Bowling balls are a commodity that must be finished (drilled) to be effective. I have refused to drill some Internet balls.They are Defective balls in most cases,or Blems, If a ball doesn't work as planned I don't want my customers to consider the layout and drill to be the problem. If I can't be sure it will do what you want, taking the chance is a bad bet. No matter how cheap a product is, if it doesn't work you spent too much!
Andy Mckay

Hi Andy,

It really comes down to the individual doing their research. If the seller is local, then Fair Trading takes care of that.

I am pretty confident from experience that if you are an Australian Distributor you become the manufacturer in the eye of Fair Trading. So, if it is faulty, the local importer/distributor must replace it or have told you that you are buying a faulty product. If it is faulty without warning, then they take it up with their supplier, the purchaser has the new product supplied by the local distributor. The distributor has the faulty one replaced by the manufacturer for redistribution.

If it is from another country direct to you from a non-recognised agent, then you take the chance of being left high and dry. That’s the chance you take so stick local would be the advice there, online or direct.

The responsibility then is on the purchasers to get it right and the Pro-Shop owner to say, " I told you so..." with a big smile!

Curious question, are you the Andy that use to run the Rockdale Bowl Pro-Shop back in the 70’s?

Hi Andy,

How are things going?

You know I still remember a number of things you taught me as 10 or 12 year old junior.

One, that I have repeated more times than I can poke a stick at for everything even beyond bowling is this:

"Take everything that everybody tells you and place it in a big bowl. Then pull out those that work for you. But, put them all in there first and listen."

Thanks Andy.

Re: the ball jig

Why am I having all these visions of illegally weighted balls? Not that CG matters these days.

A jig is generally something you mount work into.

In this case I believe it's a do-it-your-self drilling jig for balls, using a standard hand held drill.

Yes, exactly... and you'll get Farmer Bob drilling into the bottom of balls, or with a 4" shift, bowl 300 and wonder why that get turned down...

I mean, 2.5oz of side and 3oz thumb weight is legal isn't it? lol

"But I did it with the home jig with the Makita.... It never said WHERE to put the holes..."

Back
Top Bottom