Ball Brands - Where is AMF at AMF centres!

John_Velo

G’Day All,

Another ten minutes to ask a general question.

Ball brands, growing up you had a few choices, AMF, Brunswick, Columbia and Manhattan Rubber. As time went on we got Ebonite, lost Manhattan Rubber.

Finally in the early 80’s we started to get urethane, then came the Hammer. Shortly after buying my first Hammer I stopped bowling. Coming back to bowling in 2010 I bought Columbia bowling balls. Familiar name, a product I loved way back. But try and buy a ball from your local pro shop. Little in stock and everything needs to be ordered.

So, Google and Youtube becomes your friend as you get to see the kit in action and read up about what people use.

The next thing that stands out is the ball brands, lots of new kit, like Storm, Bank, Lane Master, Track etc. But the thing I noticed the most is the absence of AMF balls. Not even the local AMF centre have them in the window of the pro-shop!

This had me looking at who bowls AMF balls on the PBA. Again, I could see nothing from recent times. Going back to about 2006 was Michael Haugen JR.

I could not see anybody else.

Have I missed something in the last 25 odd years. Are AMF balls that bad or have they become an obscure ball brand?

Love to know your thoughts.

Amf are to busy ruining bowling centres now. You want a new ball???, stick with the best STORM / ROTOGRIP..
Holdy

AMF in australia is a franchise run by Ardent Leisure. AMF in america is technically a different company, and controls ball distribution I believe as well as run their own bowling centers.

Owned by 900 Global, so pro shops that stock 900 Global you would probably also find the AMF stuff...

so Global 900 do Global 900 & AMF

Tech-Line Products do Motiv

Ebonite International do Columbia 300 ,Ebonite, Hammer and Track

Brunswick do Brunswick and Morich

Storm do Storm and Roto Grip

Hi Guys,

Sure I understand that time has changed. Hell, Brunswick aren't even making in America any more. Harley Davidson are made in China.

I understand all that. The world moves on and you wake up with grey hair thinking about the time you were 14 again.

Sure, AMF in Australia is different to AMF in America, but when I look across the league, none, not a one AMF ball, I look in the pro-shop window nothing.

I was curious as to where it had gone in Australia? It is like waking up without the Ford Falcon or Holden Commodore.

I think with the range of balls available these days, and the rate at which they become "out of date" pro-shop owners & ball drillers don't really want to keep everything instock (too hard to move after a couple of months).. Also, it generally only takes 2-3 days to get a ball in.. Less than a week from the US..
also.. We have Amf balls in stock

john, AMF Australia is the same in name only, AMF rarely made Balls themselves, they used to have Ebonite or Columbia make them with their designs.

willey

I think with the range of balls available these days, and the rate at which they become "out of date" pro-shop owners & ball drillers don't really want to keep everything instock (

That is true

Also, it generally only takes 2-3 days to get a ball in.. Less than a week from the US..

This is part of the problem .. a few bowlers like to think of themselves doing a favour for other bowlers by bringing in balls that they buy from online US bowling stores... selling them cheaper than the proshops.
this then creates a false impression of the actual ball market.
These guys do not incur the full costs of running a proshop... no overheads and a lot do not even pay the government duties on their purchases...
and then the ball drilling & service and warranty is another story not supplied by these guys that your proshops normally includes in the cost of your ball..

You will find Proshops now only order from the Australian Distributors when they have orders, and yes the distributor will have that gear sent on the next courier... nine times out of ten a lot quicker than you can get an order from the states AND with full service.....
The way to change this and have proshops stocking the current balls again is to support your proshop

Yes we have the Hammer + other lines Distribution and Animals Proshop but this post is not coming from our business, but is a personal observation after speaking many times to both proshops and bowlers - who have been mislead by some resellers of these cheap balls when they have had to pay for drilling,etc associated with cheap gear!

Carol

Absolutely spot on Carol!!!
I personally obtain our gear from Brandos Proshop and I am fully aware of the fact that this gear is available direct. I look at it like this and Animals Proshop would have the same type of customer. I would not buy my gear from anyone else because the sales, service, support and advice is great.
You cant put a price on that!!!

We have always preferred to buy our bowling gear from a pro shop. When we moved to QLD, we were looking for the right shop to go to and met Animal and Carol through Seniors. We travel from Victoria Point to Caboolture when we need new gear, but it's worth the trip. It's definitely about the service and we have a great catch up when we visit. You don't get service like that from shopping online. Thanks guys!!!

Hi Terry,

Yeah it has changed alright.

If you think I have too much time on my hands, this next post will propably proove it.

So basically, I don't get a great deal of sleep.

Hi Guys,

Wow, things are a little touchy in the supply chain clearly.

Back to my original question / statement, “Why don’t AMF stock AMF Ball.” Sure they are different companies now but the thought is, hell, it’s got your name on it. It’s a bit like owning a shop called “John’s Fish and Chips” and only selling hamburgers.

Looking at some of the other comments, a lot seem to dislike online stores, but the consumer will always go the way they are happy. Part of this started a while back with an idea for a world public market called eBay. That beast is responsible for giving close to 45,000 people in Australia an income. It’s a wheel that will continue to turn in an unstoppable fashion. It is also available to everyone to use.

Personal imports are one thing, but a company that imports their own product and sell, is hit with import tax. It is unavoidable.

So does that mean that if I decided to approach a manufacturer of bowling equipment to start a supply chain into Australia that I should not be allowed?

I would say that every Pro-Shop in Australia would have a web site or be thinking about it. So, if someone approaches that Pro-Shop and says please send me a ball to my house. Should that Pro-Shop say sorry, I can only sell to you if you come in. My guess is, that ball will be wrapped with a bow and sent out on the next courier. A pro-shop cannot survive with the business generated by the local bowlers only. It is a numbers game and that comes back to selling were ever you can even if that is into an area that has a Pro-Shop that also sells the same line of bowling equipment that they do. Does that pro-shop then feel comfortable steeling that sale from the local area pro-shop? Chances are they did not even give it a second thought. Taking it a step further, if someone come is into your Pro-Shop with a ball from eBay or direct from the U.S do you turn them away and say I will not drill that ball for you. Chances are they will drill it and charge a little extra for the job.

So if I import and offer the pro-shop great deals, should the pro-shop not buy from me. Should they keep only buying from the supply chain that already existed even if the product is not available to them.

Companies will seek supply from those they feel comfortable with, and the consumer will do the same. Some like online, some like face to face.

If you want to stop the online sales of bowling equipment, then write a letter to the government about how imports are killing business in Australia. I have in the past. Funny thing is, I did not get a response.

Last ball I tried to buy from a centre I was told go online and buy it myself. Then come in and we will drill it for you! That was in October 2010. I have bought another two balls since then, all online as that is the option for me where I live. The service I got was great and the next few will come from the same place because of the service I received. It all comes down to your comfort levels.

So, just where are the AMF balls in AMF centres these days?

“Why don’t AMF stock AMF Ball.”
AMF Proshops are like any other Pro Shops it comes down to Customer demand. There is not the demand at the moment for them... The high profile bowlers are using other brands and thats what sells the Balls.

So does that mean that if I decided to approach a manufacturer of bowling equipment to start a supply chain into Australia that I should not be allowed?

Hmmm..... that would mean that you would be classified as an Australian Distributor ... how would you look after the proshops then ?

Buying a ball or two online for yourself is a whole lot different to buying in and reselling to other bowlers.

Carol

Hi Carol,

Thanks for your answer, demand is low for AMF balls, so nobody stocks them. I can live with that. It is just a big surprise to see such a strong brand from years ago no longer on the rack.

I am not too sure if your last question has an under lying meaning or is directed at something else. But I will take it as a general “what is your opinion” with no under lying meaning as that’s the type of person I am. Also I personally don’t know you and it would be unfair of me to think of you in any other light. You clearly have some very loyal customers which tells me you are doing something right and deserve that respect. I trust you will take it in that light as it is the intended tone that I am replying to you with.

What would I do if I were an Australian Distributor. Simple, distribute and support the retailer. A good retail chain will sell more than a sole distributor outlet on the whole any day.

I am not talking through my hat as I have worked for a product distributor for the past 15 years. It is the model that works best. Sadly the global sales market has diluted that value immensely over the years. The controlling factor has to come from above the distributor and come directly from the manufacturer to set the rules for regions. It is really tough to control. For retail, let’s say it is near impossible. In this case disposable bowling balls.

Two weeks ago I was offered exclusive rights to sell a bowling product in Australia. I did not take up the offer as it would still be cheaper for the general public to buy direct from the manufacturer than from me importing and on selling. I could not stop the manufacturer selling directly, or their local U.S distributor/retails selling into my region. Thank you to the World Wide Web.

That’s just how it is I guess.

Hi Mick,

A few month ago I was looking at the KMT Ball Jig. Great device, not one for the pro-shop owner to sell.

The manufacturer Steve is a really nice guy, we got chatting and that's where it went out of the blue.

Check it out, the pro-shop people will not like you selling it, especially as it removes the requirement to go to a centre to have your ball drilled.

Imagine how handy it would be for the tournament bowler that could throw it in their kit when they travel. Drilling up a ball when they like where they like.

I love products that are a little left of field don't you.

I'm old fashioned. I admit it. I like actually seeing the person I'm dealing with. I can't "see" anyone on the net.

On some sites, all I can see is their web-site. No actual physical address
. No name of any person. Nothing real.

What's to hide?

Suits some people - indeed a lot of people, but, just personally, not me.

Back
Top Bottom