Australia's team @ Men's World Championships

It is said, before you criticise, you need to walk a mile in their shoes.
If you haven`t walked the mile in their shoes then shut up.
they put their hand up, they are busting their guts, they put up the cash,
and they are doing the best they can at the time on what they are given.
It may come as a small surprise to some of you that when you get out of Australia you don`t get a lot of free hook. Get out of your comfort zone and give it a go yourselves, and see how bloody easy it is. ( not).
Animal

Gee and I wonder why people give the sport away!!!:mad:
I can honestly say giving bowling away was probably the best move I ever made, why not give recognition where it is due, these guys are doing the best they can so give them a break!!!! they are all quite capable bowlers and deserve a bit of respect:(:(

This thread is a disgrace! Simple as that. I am currently here in Germany watching these guys bowl and I can tell you now that they are trying extremely hard as is every other bowler participating. Yes there have been some valid points and valid questions, but for christ sake think of how these bowlers would feel to read this crap before you write it!

We have had numerous conversations over team dinners about the changes that need to be made to Australian bowling to help improve EVERY national team that goes away.. "difficult" or "hard" lane conditions being laid in Australia compared to what is being played on here... well it doesnt even compare, its beyond a joke.

Yes the bowlers may be struggling on the condition, but take a look at the "pros" and literally the worlds best from other countries and see their scores. Its not a walk in the park for any country or any bowler.

I can tell you now that all of us here in germany all agree that alot needs to be done to better prepare australian bowlers stepping onto the world stage, but degrading these bowlers in the manner that is being done is not the way.

Maybe you would like to congratulate the bowlers who did a wonderful 3 game block on the long today in the trios, bowling 1929 (a team average of 214) and coming 17th. If not I will for sure, well done Ben Taylor, Christian Purdue and Ross Brown. Great bowling.

Keep it going for the teams event tomorrow :)

Alot of the country is supporting you, the rest can go to hell!

Go Aussies :)

We have had numerous conversations over team dinners about the changes that need to be made to Australian bowling to help improve EVERY national team that goes away.. "difficult" or "hard" lane conditions being laid in Australia compared to what is being played on here... well it doesnt even compare, its beyond a joke.

Hayley,

You don't think Australian Teams have sat at Team Dinners and discussed this previously? It's a broken record, we have been doing it for the last 10yrs. Belmo, Frawls, Walshy, myself and many coaches have all tried to influence and change things in this country but it's fallen on deaf ears.

It's a catch 22, we put down tough conditions at our National events, fringe bowlers avg 180, and never return again. We put out easier patterns, numbers are up, but our bowlers are lost when they venture overseas.

The only solution is to pick a squad 12 months out, have them work with the coach through out the year (usually in conjunction with major events to save on cost) and give them the preparation which is needed to compete at the elite level. Even then we are up against countless teams of professionals like USA, Korea, Malaysia, UAE, Thailand, Phillipines, Kuwait, etc For weekend hacks we can only do so much.

Yes the Aussie team would probably want to be performing better but they are only as good as the experience and preparation they have put into the event. We do have a long list of bowlers who have been there and done that and have the knowledge and talent to compete at that level. This year appears to be the year where a line was drawn in the sand and the torch was handed on to a new group of up and coming bowlers. We cannot expect too much, it was like throwing lambs into the lions den but you have to start somewhere.

The guys there seem to be doing their best and good on them for sticking there hand up and having a go. They will learn from this experience and will become better bowlers for it.

Back here, as we have said for over 10yrs, things have to change.... but they haven't yet and there is nothing in the pipeline that would have me believe any different.

Good luck in the teams, you never know your luck in a big city!

It's a catch 22, we put down tough conditions at our National events, fringe bowlers avg 180, and never return again. We put out easier patterns, numbers are up, but our bowlers are lost when they venture overseas.

How many bowlers really are we talking about that are going to venture overseas.....really?

Put tougher conditions down for "What a hand full of tournaments in Australia".....yes that will really make a difference........not
It may just decide who is better on these conditions.?

People making these teams, or should I say nominate and turn up and make these teams, should then have a series of get togethers on harder pattern to try and cope with them.

Tournaments are struggling as it is for numbers, making them tougher, while might be good for the few, will be a deciding factor to whether some-one comes back and bowl again.

These guys over there are doing the best they can considering the circumstances, not sure what preparation they had on conditions before they went away.

Wonder how many other tournaments around the country will fold because of numbers?

Cheers

Tony

P.S. Go the Seniors, definitely got the numbers.................

How many bowlers really are we talking about that are going to venture overseas.....really?

Put tougher conditions down for "What a hand full of tournaments in Australia".....yes that will really make a difference........not
It may just decide who is better on these conditions.?

People making these teams, or should I say nominate and turn up and make these teams, should then have a series of get togethers on harder pattern to try and cope with them.

Tournaments are struggling as it is for numbers, making them tougher, while might be good for the few, will be a deciding factor to whether some-one comes back and bowl again.

These guys over there are doing the best they can considering the circumstances, not sure what preparation they had on conditions before they went away.

Wonder how many other tournaments around the country will fold because of numbers?

Cheers

Tony

P.S. Go the Seniors, definitely got the numbers.................

Ok Tony whats your solution then.......

Maybe you would like to congratulate the bowlers who did a wonderful 3 game block on the long today in the trios, bowling 1929 (a team average of 214) and coming 17th.

Go Aussies :)

Just got home from work and saw the scores..

That a way to go fellas. Nice recovery and keep the momentum up for the grueling team event today.

This thread is a disgrace! Simple as that. I am currently here in Germany watching these guys bowl and I can tell you now that they are trying extremely hard as is every other bowler participating. Yes there have been some valid points and valid questions, but for christ sake think of how these bowlers would feel to read this crap before you write it!

It is said, before you criticise, you need to walk a mile in their shoes.
If you haven`t walked the mile in their shoes then shut up.
they put their hand up, they are busting their guts, they put up the cash,
and they are doing the best they can at the time on what they are given.
It may come as a small surprise to some of you that when you get out of Australia you don`t get a lot of free hook. Get out of your comfort zone and give it a go yourselves, and see how bloody easy it is. ( not).
Animal

Learn to comprehend. Noone is saying they are not giving it their best and trying their guts out. The criticism here is of the system, not the bowlers.

Does that mean we don't have to be embarrassed now Wayne?

lmao. well said Stu.

I have been a keen observer of this post and it really goes without saying the infrastructure for competing at this level is the obvious constraint to bowlers representing at this level.

Wayne, you are a deadset idiot for your intial comments and quite frankly, apologies are the bear minimum required for what you have thrown out there!

I believe under the circumstances the guys have tried very hard and given it their all and that's all you can ask for. I say congrats to all of you for your efforts and already in my eyes, have done our country proud.

The cost, and logistics required to go into something like this is enormous and for ANYONE to ridicule representatives of our country in our sport is absolutely disgusting.

Well done thus far fellas and hope you have enjoyed and learnt from your experiences and i hope to hear some stories on here when you guys return.

Best wishes.

Jason Scott

So far I've been called a goose - bitter old dinosaur - fool and idiot (twice)

Some great replies there fellas. Sad to see the personal insults flying my way, especially considering the fact that I have never said anything bad about any of the six Australian bowlers who are competing in Germany.

I said the results were embarassing for Australia based on our past history in this event We could've done better..MUCH BETTER, if the system were'nt in such a state of disrepair.

So far I've been called a goose - bitter old dinosaur - fool and idiot (twice)

Some great replies there fellas. Sad to see the personal insults flying my way, especially considering the fact that I have never said anything bad about any of the six Australian bowlers who are competing in Germany.

I said the results were embarassing for Australia based on our past history in this event We could've done better..MUCH BETTER, if the system were'nt in such a state of disrepair.

Still waiting for you to tell us how this can be fixed. And what are you doing to fix these problems.

And sitting in front of your key board is not helping!

As i search the forum to see the recent updates, I find this thread..

I would have to say that I am shocked and disgusted that Australian’s would put there own kind down. To be quite frank I am appalled. :fyou1: These boys are over there doing there f###ing best in representing this country, and it really pisses me off when I see posts and threads belittling them and showing a complete disregard and lack of respect for the fine bowlers that we have. Just ask yourself this..How do you think there going to feel and think after reading this thread?

Nobody -AND I MEAN NOBODY- has the right to verbally patronize these great bowlers if you haven’t walked the mile yourself.

I understand that they are struggling abit, but nobody is perfect. Try taking a leap from Australia to another country and see how well you perform. I guarantee you that you won't even come close.. :mad:

To those bowlers who have committed to represent Australia at their own cost - CONGRATULATIONS.

You tried out for this team at your own expense and took on the financial cost of travelling overseas to represent Australia.

You have trained and given your best - we cannot ask for anything more.

When you were asked to nominate - you answered - you competed for a position on the team and when you achieved this you gave it your best. BRAVO!

Wear your uniforms with pride and remember that you represented Australia and gave it your best, there is a finite number of athletes who have been given this honour - you are in this limited group.

Again, congratulations and I hope you have great memories that you can share with upcoming bowlers.

Maybe Wayne says things the wrong way. Maybe he says things a bit less diplomatically than most. Have a look at the point he is trying to make for a change and stop *****ing just because someone says something you don't like.

I think this is a bit silly.
If this Wayne bloke is an adult, which i assume he is, then he should know that there are certain ways to get your point across without being offensve.
He does have a point about Australian bowling, but Australian bowling is dying all together!! Look at the numbers in juniors, almost dead! Then look at youth numbers. They are starting to dwindle!!
But my point at the moment is that 'Wayne' needs to own up and say "Look, i said it the wrong way, and i apologise if i offended anyone" and then maybe his point will be heard!! Own up!

And to the Aussie team, CONGRATULATIONS on how you are going so far =]
I am proud to know a few of you, and proud that we are known as a country that never gives up!! And i think that you are all bowling great =]

Take a step back for one minute and lets look at this another way...

The Aussie cricket team lose the ashes and we want blood... we want answers as to why and start looking for excuses... Or worse still... getting bowled out for 88 against Pakistan... You will read it in the papers the next day (and it wont be nice either)

Same goes for any other team sports where you are representing your country (and not just this country)... If you don't perform you WILL get criticised and sometimes the results can be embarrassing for that team.

So why is the Australian team in Germany any different. Can we not feel dissapointed by the results because it might hurt a few ego's... Can't we feel a little embarrassed or can't we be critical of the results...

It has been mentioned that our rep team might not have our top bowlers but the guys over there would be busting there balls and I dont think anyone has disputed that but what it has done is show us our deficiencies which need to be addressed at a national level to progress.

George has highlighted some of the problems...
The only solution is to pick a squad 12 months out, have them work with the coach through out the year (usually in conjunction with major events to save on cost) and give them the preparation which is needed to compete at the elite level. Even then we are up against countless teams of professionals like USA, Korea, Malaysia, UAE, Thailand, Phillipines, Kuwait, etc For weekend hacks we can only do so much.
question is where do we go from here to improve our standing on a worldwide level...

Back
Top Bottom