Australia's Greatest Dummy Spit or On-lane Stuff Up?

Now that ive evolved into a grown up bowling is much more relaxing than it was, how i never got formally carded is beyond me!! Getting a 'joking' yellow card from behind the desk one night in 1996 for a garden variety rack booting was raised a bit by me equally jokingly saying 'yellow to the tech as well for not doing the lanes' This was met by a furious reaction from the manager(the tech was her daughters boyfriend, only reason he got the job) She went clean off!!! These 2 people are far far away from the bowling industry now. And me? well being invited to fix our lane conditions by current tech and management? The highlight of my bowling life by far, cop that you mongs!!!:D

Unfortunatly the bowlers of yesteryear who had a penchance for dummyspitting are the idols of the juniors of today, and we wonder why their carryons are as they are. What is the saying "monkey see monkey do"
Better that than a house full of little robots.

Personally, I like to see passion and intensity in the sport. Sometimes this overflows in a negative way, but the positives far outweigh the negatives overall. Let the kids blow off some steam, I say!

I called a shot recently in a tournament and found half a dozen guys staring at me looking shocked. Nick Koumandakis smiled, came over and explained "Ssshhh... People are trying to sleep in here!"

Bring back the love. Or the Lovell! If we want to keep the game alive, we need to look alive while we play. That's why people connect with Belmo - he's excited and therefore contagiously exciting. Some days our tournaments (especially on the really tough patterns) look like the Vulcan Olympics. Even I leave then.

Ash Riley .... Nationals, I think Knox 2000. Australian Masters .... not entirely sure, but I think maybe 2nd or 3rd round. You could say he was getting a little frustrated .... anyway, after 1 particular shot (which resulted in either a split or lack of carry - cant remember which) .... long story short ..... saw Ash chasing the foul light capping a couple of lanes down the centre as it had just been removed from its 'home' by Ash's foot!

Needless to say Ash was a little red faced ............ but his Rachuig team mates who were there watching were highly amused!!!! :p:p

Brenton.... now that would be something to see! :D
Androooo, we had to... We were drunk. I suspect our skulls were thicker then too. We took some big hits, but were well practiced at the time.

One of my all time favorites is the story of the inimitable Bruce Peel, who once "tripped" the 10 pin at Rockdale using a golf ball in his pocket! It was a great flat throw according to all accounts.

Speaking of Bruce Peel:

Canberra Cup matchplay circa about 1981 and Bruce and Steve Lovell are vying fo rthe lead and playing each other about mid matchplay. Bruce throws a shot, leaves a 10 pin, picks his towel up and flicks it. Lovell just happens to be in the wrong position and gets hit in the nose!!!!

BLOOD EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suffice it to say, matchplay was held up for about 20 minutes............:rolleyes:

Bruce, was for the first, (and probably the last) time totally shocked and speechless

This wasn't actually a dummy spit, but it might have looked like it to some other people.

One Tuesday night I was just about to pack up my gear after practice and had my Depth Charge in my right arm. I saw a friend upstairs on the balcony bit and decided I would try to throw a towel up there to her. So, I swung my arm back to throw the towel and the Depth Charge slipped out of my other arm, bounced twice on the floor before I caught it, and ended up with a crack halfway around it and over the track. I didn't notice the crack until a little while later.

I didn't get the towel up to the balcony.

It was a great ball, the Dpeth Charge :(

Hooroo

Rowey :p

Re: Brenton's last post.
Wow! Bruce must've been mortified! Like most blokes with a great temper, he was the nicest guy you'd ever meet. (Lovell went on to win that one, I think.)

Better that than a house full of little robots.
Personally, I like to see passion and intensity in the sport. Sometimes this overflows in a negative way, but the positives far outweigh the negatives overall. Let the kids blow off some steam, I say!
I called a shot recently in a tournament and found half a dozen guys staring at me looking shocked. Nick Koumandakis smiled, came over and explained "Ssshhh... People are trying to sleep in here!"
Bring back the love. Or the Lovell! If we want to keep the game alive, we need to look alive while we play. That's why people connect with Belmo - he's excited and therefore contagiously exciting. Some days our tournaments (especially on the really tough patterns) look like the Vulcan Olympics. Even I leave then.
Post of the year!
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Thursday night saw a ball hit the ceiling sending plaster everywhere over lane 9, roll down the division, split the uprights of the masking unit and crash into a support beam :D

Thursday night saw a ball hit the ceiling sending plaster everywhere over lane 9, roll down the division, split the uprights of the masking unit and crash into a support beam :D
:eek: Who did that?

Accident or frustrated bowler?

Tell me, it wasn't big Ell launching a rocket at a split and catching it on the thumb again was it? :D

I'll have to check it out tomorrow night when I head out there.

Bit of both...
And, yes it may have been him ;)
I had a hunch it might've been LOL.
Wouldn't be too many other blokes with the physical strength to be able to do that out there.
Makes a 16lb ball look like one of those little rubber bouncy balls you get out of the games machines when he really catches hold of one, and if it accidentally sticks to his thumb :sofa:

I seem to remember this from quite a few years ago, now i didnt see it personally, but i heard from a few of his team mates about it, so it probably did happen in some form. This was from back when (early to mid 90's) gold coast superbowl was probably one of the better centres in the south qld region, chris (and im sorry anyone reading this, but his last name is on the tip of my tounge) was a big guy who could throw a pretty big shot. After getting sufficiently annoyed, he proceeded to take the offending piece of equipment, walk out the front door, around the corner of the building, then hurl it down the driveway into the back carpark and into the retaining wall. :roflmao:

There are a few qld bowlers on here who might be able to fill in the blanks, maybe even chucky chandler who i think was a tech there around the period??

Im surprised people havent posted anything up, but brando has to have a few to share, rolling balls down the hill into the dam are myths of legend.

Nikos is always the calm one. Never seen him PO'ed in my life. This is just proof that he's always in a good mood when he's bowling. Jason, which tournament are you refering to? Sports Series 3?

Hi Richard, Yep, that's the one. It was Sunday morning and I thought I'd missed the bowl and gone to church!
p.s. I've seen Nick lose it. (looooonnnnggg time ago) A beautiful thing it is to see such a saint go off... :)

ANDY LAKIN... Not exactly sure of the spelling of the surname but if anyone remembers this one they will understand why i dont need to say anything else lol

ANDY LAKIN... Not exactly sure of the spelling of the surname but if anyone remembers this one they will understand why i dont need to say anything else lol
HAHAHA I remember Andy! :D
I got on the piss shotgunning tinny after tinny with him at one of the Shield Dinner's back in the early 90's - hilarious bloke - or was then anyway.

What'd he do?

Just temper in general, geez he could wind up a ball though. Dunno where he go to after about 1993

Don't know about dummy spits, but Redcliffe Bowl squashing their brand new oiling machine (Summit?) under lane 7 in the middle of the Redcliffe Open was pretty funny in a tragic way. Especially after they dragged it out, finally got it running again, turned it on at about 50 feet down - and watched it run straight into the pit and self-destruct. Scratch one Summit - thought Don was going to have a coronary. I think they ended up borrowing Mt Gravatts machine.

Thinking about it, there were a few dummy spits that year too. :)

Back
Top Bottom