Australia's Greatest Dummy Spit or On-lane Stuff Up?

jason_doust

The Bowling Geek
OK Folks, at great personal risk, I've decided it's time to celebrate the colourful characters of our sport, past and present.

I pose this question;
"What is or was Australia's Greatest Dummy Spit or On-lane Stuff Up?"

We don't just want names though. (I guess stories could be anonymous.) I want to hear the stories of hilarious explosions of frustration. Of incandescent rage. Of the incidents that caused verbal gymnastics of stringing time-honoured and purpose-built expletives. Of the honest to goodness stuff-ups that were riotously funny.

Some of the great names of the game have been responsible for some of the best. Some have involved Herculean acts of strength, others have been the deft flinging of a shoe to hit a stubborn corner pin. (I know who that was!) But you needn't have won a thing to qualify for this hall of infamy.

So take your time. Write them up first so you find them readable and amusing, then you can paste them into this thread.

This has the potential to be a very funny bit of bowling history.

Cheers,
Jason

Well I'll start with me. In 2003 after failing to make the Qld ECCC team, I took my spare ball, went outside, smashed it on the ground a few time then threw it down the hill. After a fellow bowler retrieved it and gave it back to me, I then decided to throw it in the dumpster bin behind the bowl. Although my episode was very entertaining for others, I am seriously ashamed and regret my actions. It's learned a valuable lesson and always think twice when I feel like spitting the dummy

Once apon a time in a league long long ago - a remeber this guy had a massive dummy spit (I've had a few myself) but on the way out of the centre he thru his ball thru the glass doors - one of the funniest/ sadest things I have seen - he had to pay for it & was thrown out of the league.:eek::eek:

most of the dummy spits i have seen have bean small, Guys kicking the ball return is the main one, or swearing at the pins (but what did they do wrong lol).

I remember one time at mt druitt, there was one guy, he is over 6ft tall, he bowled a perfect pocket ball, left the 5,7,10, should not off but did. on his way back he tapped and i mean tapped the screens with his hand, only problem was the screen fell just missed his head, very embaressing lol

Here's 1 for most embarassing moment.

I was about 13 or 14 at the time bowling a junior league and had pretty bad thumb problems. So at home earlier in the week i had modified this golf glove which i had left the thumb in tact and cut out the fingers. Anyways, turned up to bowl and 1st ball the ball fit pretty snug into my hand, only it was a bit too snug.

The ball stuck on my hand and after a full follow through, the ball went straight up in the air and hit the roof. One of the flouro lights shattered onto the lane, the roof dented and to top it all off the ball hit the very edge of the lane and shattered at the thumb hole and took a huge gouge out of the ball, which was unrepairable.

Shocker or what!

Jason,

I would have thought that our drunken head-butting competition at the Bankstown Sports club after we had both choked out of the SPC in 1989 would have to qualify as the greatest Dummy-Spit, just didn't happen on the lanes thats all.

Fortunately I am older and (only a little) wiser now.........

Brenton.... now that would be something to see! :D

I have seen a few good ones.
Ball return covers ripped off, shoes thrown at alarm sensors, toilet doors ripped off, lockers punched, a ball finishing in the cafe kitchen, people spitting on the lane...

Personally, I think my best one was my spareball landning near the scoring camera in frustration, only to make the 7-10.

I have only received one yellow card in a tornament in my life... and only because I asked for it, sort of. Bowling in a tournament and not having a very enjoyable day, I was standing there waiting for my ball to return and gently tapping the score console with my fist. Now I mean gently.... hardly making any sound, just sort of bouncing it on there.

The TD came over and yelled out, "Keep that up, and I'll card you!".

Just couldn't help myself.... I turned around, smiled and told them "Gee, I can't let that ruin your fun" and proceeded to put my fist through the cover, only to say "Satisfied?"

Have another one. After winning the Perth Cup in 1990, I made the cross country drive to the Melbourne Cup (took 3 days) when it was held at Moorabbin and proceeded to shoot +100 for the 1st 7 on a tough condition. Then shot 124 the last game got angry and proceeded to the tournament room and demanded the TD give me a yellow card. He refused saying that he had not seen anything and no one had complained. I demanded a card (which carried a $25 fine then). He said if I was that desperate to pay a fine then I should buy $25 of those old style rip open "Bingo" cards.

Needless to say I won $75................

Im famous for my on-lane antics, ask anyone at Orange Tenpin bowl they'll know what I do!

This particular one isn't really a dummy spit but, just a few weeks ago I bowled a 1st game of 224, then using the same ball couldn't manage a strike at all. All ways leaving single pins, (Im a lefty) 7, 4, 8, 9, 10 pins just keept standing up on PERFECT pocket shots. I'd moved forward, back, left, right, those stubborn pins just stood there!

Nine frames later, Finally a strike!
I let out a huge (and now customary) C'mon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Slapped my hand, and on my way back kicked the ball return.

The huge C'mon isn't a supprise these days, usually 5 in-a-row triggers it, amung other circumstances, but the ball return kick was a spontaneous moment born of frustration.

Now onto a Dummy spit I had.
A number of years ago in a doubles league I all ways bowl anchor.
Anyhow we won the 1st game they won the 2nd game, down to the last frame last game 7 pins in it.
I left a seems to be not a common occurance a 10 pin (remember Im a lefty)
and I missed it.

So what did I do?
I was so pissed off thinking that we'd lost the game, that I threw my ball at the brick wall leaving a deep scratch in it.

After I'd packed my things up turned around an looked at the scores we ended up winning the last game by 3 pins!

Toshio

The best dummy spit l can remember was in about 2004 or 2005.

It was after qualifying for the Warrnambool Cup.

A bowler who l honestly cant remember, decided that his Cuda/c had been seen better days, after not having a good qualifying session. So he proceeeded to bowl the ball down the highway on the way back to the motel. As this did not destroy the ball, when he retunred to the motel, he decided to throw it into the swimming pool.

During Perth Cup last year I was lucky enough to be bowling in the same squad as Belmo.
For the whole event, the tournament director had been drumming it into us all that swearing and equipment abuse was not going to be tolerated.
Anyway, last block of qualifying Belmo was the first one to get up and throw a shot. The centre was very quiet at that point and all we heard was "F*CK!!!". Ive never seen anyone move from the foul line to the players area so quickly...

I have seen a few good ones.
Ball return covers ripped off, shoes thrown at alarm sensors, toilet doors ripped off, lockers punched, a ball finishing in the cafe kitchen, people spitting on the lane...
:oops:

androooo said:
Bowling in a tournament and not having a very enjoyable day, I was standing there waiting for my ball to return and gently tapping the score console with my fist. Now I mean gently.... hardly making any sound, just sort of bouncing it on there.
The TD came over and yelled out, "Keep that up, and I'll card you!".
Just couldn't help myself.... I turned around, smiled and told them "Gee, I can't let that ruin your fun" and proceeded to put my fist through the cover, only to say "Satisfied?"
Bit unlucky. I punched the scoring console almost completely over on 5-6 on the last day of the '92 Shield Roll-Offs at Moonah after I whizzed a 5-pin against Bruv Foster.
And Bruv's let out this Nelson Muntz-like 'HA-HAAAAA' right in my direction :D - and I've just gone BAAAAAAAANG.
As soon as I did it, I thought 'Oh good one dipsh*t! Now you're out of the tournament for good now!'
Walked off and stood behind the empty 1-2, waiting for the inevitable :cardR: to come my way - no one went within metres of me for the next ten minutes, no card, no warning or anything.
Lucky in a way, because I went from last after my outburst to being in the team only seven games later.
I did apologise profusely to the TD after the day had finished though.

Bowling on one Friday night in our 4 man team... the oppositions anchor bowler opened the first 5 frames of the game and cracked the preverbial wobblies... Threw his balls in his bag and didn't bowl another shot. There was also a lot of swearing and cursing goin on as well. To top it off, he didn't leave, he sat at the rear of the players area coz he had to wait for his girlfriend to finish bowling.

Another one I remember that's part of folklore down this way.
One particular prominent bowler shot 300 in league, had his ball weighed and found out it was illegal.
Was not very pleased. The ball was taken and thrown off the front balcony over the railings out into the Moonah Bowl carpark.
The ball smashed into, like, 15 million pieces all over the place and a certain poster in this thread had to go and clean it all up. :p

Unfortunatly the bowlers of yesteryear who had a penchance for dummyspitting are the idols of the juniors of today, and we wonder why their carryons are as they are. What is the saying "monkey see monkey do"

One Thursday night during trios [when we actually had numbers to make trios :rolleyes:] the team that my team was up against had a bowler who came to league stoned.
Made for an interesting night...
He'd spat the dummy at least a dozen times in one and a bit games, around the fifth frame of the second game he announced that he'd "...had enough of this f*cking sh*t", and with that he packed up, shook my hand and walked out the door.

around the fifth frame of the second game he announced that he'd "...had enough of this f*cking sh*t", and with that he packed up, shook my hand and walked out the door.

And that was the last we saw of Frawlz for a while.

PS - it wasn't really Frawlz.. that's a joke (just in case someone doesn't get it).

PPS - This is Easy Tiger, not Feral - borrowed his computer and forgot to log off!!

Unfortunatly the bowlers of yesteryear who had a penchance for dummyspitting are the idols of the juniors of today, and we wonder why their carryons are as they are. What is the saying "monkey see monkey do"
Funnily enough, having seen quite a few of the kids bowl these days I would say they are probably better behaved nowdays than they were back in my days as a junior.
We had some absolute rippers back in those days as far as short fuses are concerned. ;)

Back
Top Bottom