My thoughts on the state of bowling in Australia

atx106

Kind of following on from the "What do people want to see" thread by Lovey, I just wanted to give my opinion of how I see bowling in Australia.

Right now, most people do not even consider bowling a sport, except the glorified PBA Tour (one person I asked claimed that "it's a professional sport in America" while mentioning that here it's more of a hobby). With this point-of-view being shared by most, if not all of the people (non-bowlers, of course) around me, surely this opinion is very widespread.

The biggest problem with bowling in my eyes is the gimmicks built off social bowling, e.g. "family fun centres", arcade games, even laser tag centres being attached to alleys. How can people take bowling seriously when it's essentially taking a back seat to these other attraction. I've never seen a football stadium with laser tag and arcade games.

There are no "visible" competitions or tournaments in Australia. Personally, I've never seen any advertised at any centre, nor have I ever seen one take place. Most people believe it's not a sport if you can't see it or there's no competitions. If a poker league or tournament is advertised more at a pub than bowling competitions and tournaments are advertised at PURPOSE BUILT bowling alleys, what is that saying about bowling?

So what is the solution? I believe that:

- We need to establish a tour similar to the PBA tour, where we have maybe 56 exempt bowlers that participate in every event on the tour, with a smaller open tournament before each event deciding the top 8 who then compete with the exempt bowlers. If any exempt bowlers can't get to an event for any reason, the qualifying field expands to make each event start with a round of 64. (Forgive me if this is too large a field, the same could be done with 24 exempt and the top 8 from a qualifier going to a round of 32.)

- On said tour, there should be an event in each state, 3 other established events which could be participated in their original format but with tour points available, and the Australian Open. The established events and Open could be contested similarly to the PBA's majors, with different oil patterns.

- The tour would have the same oil pattern for the state events, which would make scoring consistent. This pattern would be very challenging (I don't know much about patterns so I can't be specific) and make for interesting play.

- Outside the tour, we should be showcasing state on state tournaments as well, state-of-origin concepts work. Also, some of the international events involving Australian national teams should at least be mentioned.

- At these events, once we get down to the semi-final rounds, where you can spread games across the entire centre, a showcase lane format can be used where only one game is on at a time, allowing emotion and excitement to build over one match, without disturbing any other games.

- We need to get some coverage on commercial TV. David Tapp Productions currently produce the NSW Cup rugby league and some speedway shows for oneHD and would be a great step to getting some exposure to a greater audience. No offence to the TBS but personally I've never seen it on air and even though I've seen it advertised at some centres, if I haven't seen it (and I love watching bowling on TV), then most people who don't watch TVS or follow bowling will probably not know about it. I can't remember the name of the man who set up TBS but I remember the story and in no way am I trying to have a go at you or belittle your efforts. I appreciate the effort you're making to get the sport exposure, and as I am heading into a similar field once I leave school, I have nothing but respect for you.

- We need to get Belmo involved in promoting the sport down here. We have one of the greatest bowlers in the world and most people have never heard of him because there is barely any exposure or mention of him outside the bowling circles. Ask anyone who Greg Norman, Kostya Tszyu or even Joe Hachem is and they'll probably give you a correct answer.

The main thing is, bowling won't be seen as a sport here unless we get a spot on commercial TV, showcasing some of our best, bringing in money from advertising and doing something similar to what happened to poker a couple of years ago, showcasing the serious and professional side by pitting our best against the world's best.

A large part of the problem in promoting bowling to the public is it also has a bit of a nerdy image in Australia. I think we need to get bowling looking more professional in terms of dress/attire, approach and attitude, but I'm not sure how this could ever be enforced or achieved.

People also don't understand how equipment and conditions effect the game. To 99.9% of the public, they think there is no difference between bowling at one centre to another, and they think that going bowling is as simple as picking up a house ball, lacing up some terrible looking dodgy and smelly house shoes (seriously, who designed these things?) and throwing it at some pins.

People look at me cross-eyed when I tell them I have more than one ball and why I have more than one, their mouths drop open when I try to explain the effects of oil patterns to them, and they look at me like I have three heads when I tell them I throw the ball with two hands. Sadly, I think bowling in the US is going the same direction as it has gone here.

People look at me cross-eyed when I tell them I have more than one ball and why I have more than one, their mouths drop open when I try to explain the effects of oil patterns to them, and they look at me like I have three heads when I tell them I throw the ball with two hands. Sadly, I think bowling in the US is going the same direction as it has gone here.

Same with me!

funnily enough i was able to explain to my 12 year old cousin, his friend and my other 9 year old cousin how technology effect the game. tiger, i think the attire simply needs to follow lawn bowls' change from whites to jerseys and track pants. the image of bowling with people i "surveyed" (it wasnt really a survey, my mates just like paying me out coz i bowl) is that its for lonely old men who are out of shape, yet i bet none of them could cope bowling the schedule some of you tournament bowlers have to put up with. adding on to my rant, as im typing this im watching premier league snooker. seriously, you can market snooker and darts but not bowling? maybe thats what we need, a new name for the same game... another thing is, i dont think people are as educated about the sport as most people here are. you hit the nail on the head, "People also don't understand how equipment and conditions effect the game. To 99.9% of the public, they think there is no difference between bowling at one centre to another, and they think that going bowling is as simple as picking up a house ball, lacing up some terrible looking dodgy and smelly house shoes (seriously, who designed these things?) and throwing it at some pins." If we had a more prominent figure or group of figures talking about the finer details of the lanes, the patterns, the balls, etc., maybe we'd have a bit more credibility.

It would be great if more could be done for the game in our country BUT at the end of the day money makes the world go round, and the companys putting up advertising $$$ and other companys putting up sponser $$$ and all that sort, they wont be happy if/when their invested $$$ bring no revenue or reward, meaning $$$ lol.

Its all about money, would u Put up $1000 for bright pink hair dye and hair clippers, and try to sell hair cuts and dyes for $50 a hit at the local RSL? no because your audience either has no hair OR want to keep whats left of it looking normal. Sure 5% might give it a crack but majority wont.

People like us, Bowling fanatics, are the 5%

Scrambled eggs

Speaking of scrambled eggs, I find it funny Denny's are a major sponsor of the PBA Tour, yet an Australian tour could be sponsored by any of the 100000000 fast food franchises in the country. I don't think we've been looking for sponsors in the right places yet...

Look at many other sports, most if not all sports have decent sponsorships, ranging from small endoresements to sponsorships on a very large scale... Trouble, I am guessing only here atx106, but I think, that sponsors probably have been contacted in the past, and for whatever reason, such as bowling being seen as a declining dinosaur and the general publics lack of interest in participating in competitve bowling and also how low it is held in people's opinion that makes it difficult to gain reasonable sponsorship...

Cricket KFC
Old NBL Hungry Jacks
Tennis Kia Motors and Granier (not sure of spelling)
Netball Commonwealth Bank
Soccer A league Hyundai and Foxtel

These are major sports here, attracting major sponsors... Big sports, big promotion, big TV coverage (NBL 80 and 90's not so much now)... So where does bowling fit into this??? Sadly it doesn't at all..

Grass roots level, kids aren't into it, quite expensive, social bowlers get stung when families do decide to bowl during school holidays, apathetic staff.. Future certainly doesn't seem to be rosy!! I'm deciding at the moment whether to get a couple of my boys into their first junior league, or look for other sports... Junoir and Adult leagues are dropping, seems like tournaments aren't getting the numbers or prizefunds..
One saviour of late is Jason Belmonte for PR of this sport.. Most bowlers (league) have no idea of him or the PBA tour...

I can remember watching the PBA when I was a kid during lunch breaks at the cricket on the tele.. Loved it then..

Yes It is all very wierd

The number of games played per year is increasing, That is a fact
Leagues participation rates are going down

It costs around $13.00 to Bowl social play
It costs about $5.50 to Bowl In a league

Why then is the league participation rate declining
1. Bowling Centres Do Not promote league play
They have nobody converting social play into league bowlers

2. A reduction in TBA membership
Why, Well a few reasons
Firstly the likes of AMF have bowlers cards now
so they offer cheap rates
Secondly The bowling centres , who now run all leagues, dont
promote Association membership
Also the stupidity that allows a league to be registered
without the need for anyone to be a TBA member
Finally the TBA have been asleep for a number of years
as well as there is too much of the old school involved
on boards going nowhere and division in the ranks
based on the past

Just my thoughts based on knowledge and experience

The difference is with the "Major" sports in Australia is that they have been around for ages... i.e Football, Soccer, Rugby league and Union all of which have big sponsorship and funnily enough no entry forms. We have been brought up with these sports and as such to aspire to the elite level we all know what is required.

You might compare it to Golf or Tennis but look at in perspective... When was the last time anyone saw an advertisement to compete in the Australian open (tennis) let alone local tournaments. What about golf... same there, when has the Australian open golf advertised on TV for participants... even in pennant golf you still need to be a member.

The P.B.A tour has been going for quite some time and for us bowlers is where you are able to make a living off you're craft. There are some bowlers in my opinion who would be more than capable of doing well in the U.S but still prefer to bowl in Au. I guess it comes down to backing your own ability and making that first big step. Having said that, there are bowlers here who would do well in some of our tournaments but either have no interest or doubt their ability.

I think we need to work out how to get the social bowler to make the transition to league. With more league bowlers might come added interest firstly in local centre tournaments and them hopefully a progression into the bigger tournaments.

Just thinking of my centre, aside from 8 no tap, 9 no tap and scotch doubles, presidents shield,they don't offer any other individual tournaments ... Where are the centre championships, with the different divisions???,You can have 150 -, 151-180, open dvisions...By god, I reckon u would get tons of bowlers in that... You can make them play scratch and also with handicap for the lower divisions... It could be an biannual or annual event..

Can u imagine a golf or tennis club not having their own "house" club championships tournament.. Theres guys at my work who are golfers and speak very fondly about their golf club and the fact they they came second in B division...

Mickyd mentioned about getting social bowlers into league bowlers, couldn't agree more.

Its the little things that can make a difference. From great enthusiastic staff, to coaching/pro shops, to cheaper practise rates Sunday mornings, even informing many bowlers about scores on their AMF beloved website (many bowlers are NEVER aware of their league standing), affiliation with TBA, ton of centre run tournaments, promotion and good PR in all forms of media.. The list goes on.....

Truly, where do u start to pick up this sleeping dinosaur?

Look at many other sports, most if not all sports have decent sponsorships, ranging from small endoresements to sponsorships on a very large scale... Trouble, I am guessing only here atx106, but I think, that sponsors probably have been contacted in the past, and for whatever reason, such as bowling being seen as a declining dinosaur and the general publics lack of interest in participating in competitve bowling and also how low it is held in people's opinion that makes it difficult to gain reasonable sponsorship...

Cricket KFC
Old NBL Hungry Jacks
Tennis Kia Motors and Granier (not sure of spelling)
Netball Commonwealth Bank
Soccer A league Hyundai and Foxtel

These are major sports here, attracting major sponsors... Big sports, big promotion, big TV coverage (NBL 80 and 90's not so much now)... So where does bowling fit into this??? Sadly it doesn't at all..

Grass roots level, kids aren't into it, quite expensive, social bowlers get stung when families do decide to bowl during school holidays, apathetic staff.. Future certainly doesn't seem to be rosy!! I'm deciding at the moment whether to get a couple of my boys into their first junior league, or look for other sports... Junoir and Adult leagues are dropping, seems like tournaments aren't getting the numbers or prizefunds..
One saviour of late is Jason Belmonte for PR of this sport.. Most bowlers (league) have no idea of him or the PBA tour...

I can remember watching the PBA when I was a kid during lunch breaks at the cricket on the tele.. Loved it then..

Actually, ANZ sponsors the Trans-Tasman Netball competition, and all games are shown on One HD every week. They are in week 6 at the moment.
AND
If you have never heard of 'The Seniors', then you don't know much about bowling. There is an annual tournament between the states, which has been around since 1993, and getting stronger each year. Check out their website http://www.atbso.org.au/;
AND
There is also a Restricted & Classic tournament (if you are not old enough for Seniors), called Darrell Holt, which is run in conjunction (either before or after) the Seniors. Check out their website http://www.holtchallenge.org.au/.

As for Jason, you obviously haven't seen the posters up in the pro shop at your local centre.

Sure, everybody has said things that are true, but you've all missed the key element.

Sponsorship needs an audience - MUCH MORE that it needs participants.

Bowling has always suffered by being mainly a participant sport.

Virtually any or all audience comprises other bowlers.

For an example, take any of the football codes and think of the relatively minute numbers of actual players, and compare that number with the thousands who attend games and the other thousands watching on TV.

It's all those thousands of non-partipants who the sponsor wants access to.

FIRST you've got to get a non- bowling audience - Then you can get sponsorship - THEN, would you believe, you would also get more players - they may not be able to play rugby league - but many of them could bowl - even to a high standard. Then, because you have more players, you'd get a bigger non-bowling audience also - Which will get you bigger sponsorship - WHICH, IN TURN will get more players........ WHICH ............................. SOLVED!!!!!

After seeing the PBA Chris Paul Celebrity Invitational, maybe trying to get some prominent figures who enjoy the occasional bowl to bowl with some of our nation's best would be a good idea? Also, I've never seen any advertising material with Belmo in it. Maybe living in football "infested" inner west Sydney is the reason for that. The only thing advertised at my local lanes are NRL leagues...

Just thinking of my centre, aside from 8 no tap, 9 no tap and scotch doubles, presidents shield,they don't offer any other individual tournaments ... Where are the centre championships, with the different divisions???,You can have 150 -, 151-180, open dvisions...By god, I reckon u would get tons of bowlers in that... You can make them play scratch and also with handicap for the lower divisions... It could be an biannual or annual event..

Can u imagine a golf or tennis club not having their own "house" club championships tournament.. Theres guys at my work who are golfers and speak very fondly about their golf club and the fact they they came second in B division...

Mickyd mentioned about getting social bowlers into league bowlers, couldn't agree more.

Its the little things that can make a difference. From great enthusiastic staff, to coaching/pro shops, to cheaper practise rates Sunday mornings, even informing many bowlers about scores on their AMF beloved website (many bowlers are NEVER aware of their league standing), affiliation with TBA, ton of centre run tournaments, promotion and good PR in all forms of media.. The list goes on.....

Truly, where do u start to pick up this sleeping dinosaur?

Very good points

In my day, I know I'm old, we had a centre tourn every month

3/6/9 or No Tap etc.
It created interest in each centre and some competition
We don't promote competition anymore
We had local Championships like St George district was HUGE !!!
and they had evey division you could think of

Again I will say, The centres do not promote local tourn bowling
which creates interest in regional/ state/ national tourn competition

Why is this So !!!!! No It is not getting an egg into a milk bottle
It is simply Apathy on the part of AMF
Poor direction and leadership by the likes of TBA and local associations
deceased League bowler pool to draw from
Cost is also a huge issue today to bowl in something extra
other than your weekly league

Just thought I should point out that Neil Robinson (Australian) just became World Snooker Champion and he will become the face of Australian snooker. Why was Belmo not offered this position when he won the Masters?...

Back
Top Bottom