asking for a show of hands...

wchester

Bowling Tragic
This is a post written by Gary Beck one of bowling hardest working supporters, and the leading youth bowling promoter in the world.

Bowling, the recreation, is going to be around forever. Its survival is guaranteed because, at its core, bowling is a social activity that provides people the means to hang out with their friends and have a fun time. Our world is becoming more and more virtual, and as John Naisbitt predicted in his 1982 book, Megatrends, we will increasingly crave opportunities to gather together with other human beings. Naisbitt’s phrase was “High Tech High Touch,“ and bowling provides a ‘high touch’ opportunity.

The sport of bowling, on the other hand, is dying. While numerous autopsies on this forum and elsewhere have found the cause of death to be one of a myriad of diseases such as blocked lanes, high tech balls, changing lifestyles, etc., it is my opinion that such factors are merely symptoms of a more fundamental disease. Bowling has evolved into a culture in which the connection between 'effort' and 'reward' has been severed. The result is no different than if one severed the connection between the brain and the heart. Death is imminent.

It is my belief that there is a cure for what ails the sport of bowling. I believe that a culture in which reward is a direct outcome of effort can be defined and established. I also believe such a culture cannot exist because of edict – it cannot be forced upon the general population through a change in rules and regulations. This will be a volunteer culture – a culture which people seek out because they desire to be associated with the values the culture embraces.

Creating such a culture will not be easy. It will not be quick. It will not be cheap. It will require an army of individuals who commit hard work, time, energy, money, and an immense amount of faith to establish and sustain such a culture. For a few, it will even require their heart and soul.

Those who volunteer will be few. The naysayers will be legion. The time is now. Death is imminent if we hesitate. Who among you can be counted on to roll up your sleeves and volunteer?

Will you put your hand up and do your part..I know I will!

I'm not actually known as being 'slow'. I can usually grasp 'concepts' as well as things which can be touched and seen and smelt, etc., but you have me at a disadvantage here. You'll need to spell this out more plainly and practically for me, even if others don't have a problem understanding.

This may be the Case in America but for me the Game in Australia has been Hurt by "Cost of Bowling" pure and simple. I remember when you would Bowl in a Grand Prix event and pay $50 entry and have $1200 first prize in the 1980's. I also remember Bowling in a Grand Prix event and paying $120 entry and have $1200 first prize in the 2000's, so there it is in a nutshell, the entry fee went up but proportionally the prize fund didn't but the game price Did. So who killed the Tournaments?

As for his other lament, the Walled up lanes, prior to 1990 in Australia it was a rarity to find Blocked lanes, it did happen but we had rules to counter it from the ATBC. Now because the ATBC went bunk, the rules were never adhered to again and it was Steve Mackie who came back to Australia in his capacity as Vise President of AMF International, in about 1992, said, in a Head Tech's meeting, there are no rules so wall them up.

These are just my opinions, as one who was at the Coalface for 36 years, working in Bowling Centre's. I seen the look of amazement when people were told the Price of a game, standing there with there wallets open, here is a typical scenario: "Can we have 2 games each for 2 adults and 2 children please!"- " That will be $80 plus Dollars thanks" says the control attendant- "Can you make that 1 game each and do you have Eftpos" is the usual reply.

I rest my case.
willey

I understand what he is saying, but it lacks a clear direction volunteer for what??? Its very vague there is a lot of innuendo in the post.

Id say there would be much more "by in" by people if all the big words got taken out and someone said lets roll up our sleeves, this is what we should do and this is how we are going to do it.

This is a post written by Gary Beck one of bowling hardest working supporters, and the leading youth bowling promoter in the world.

Bowling, the recreation, is going to be around forever. Its survival is guaranteed because, at its core, bowling is a social activity that provides people the means to hang out with their friends and have a fun time. Our world is becoming more and more virtual, and as John Naisbitt predicted in his 1982 book, Megatrends, we will increasingly crave opportunities to gather together with other human beings. Naisbitt’s phrase was “High Tech High Touch,“ and bowling provides a ‘high touch’ opportunity.

The sport of bowling, on the other hand, is dying. While numerous autopsies on this forum and elsewhere have found the cause of death to be one of a myriad of diseases such as blocked lanes, high tech balls, changing lifestyles, etc., it is my opinion that such factors are merely symptoms of a more fundamental disease. Bowling has evolved into a culture in which the connection between 'effort' and 'reward' has been severed. The result is no different than if one severed the connection between the brain and the heart. Death is imminent.

It is my belief that there is a cure for what ails the sport of bowling. I believe that a culture in which reward is a direct outcome of effort can be defined and established. I also believe such a culture cannot exist because of edict – it cannot be forced upon the general population through a change in rules and regulations. This will be a volunteer culture – a culture which people seek out because they desire to be associated with the values the culture embraces.

Creating such a culture will not be easy. It will not be quick. It will not be cheap. It will require an army of individuals who commit hard work, time, energy, money, and an immense amount of faith to establish and sustain such a culture. For a few, it will even require their heart and soul.

Those who volunteer will be few. The naysayers will be legion. The time is now. Death is imminent if we hesitate. Who among you can be counted on to roll up your sleeves and volunteer?

Will you put your hand up and do your part..I know I will!

I think what he is trying to achieve is to get an indication of how many bowlers are willing to go back to the culture and discipline of putting the hard yards to improve one's skills and not purely rely on technology to garner a score. To bowl on realistic oil patterns voluntarily and to re-learn the art of thinking one's way around a lane condition and to attempt to help the sport regain some degree of credibility.

If so, I'm in. Always have been.

Or am I right off the track?

I'm with you Willey!

I remember as a junior (early 1990's) bowled social league for 3 years, I would walk in after school and with change saved from my tuckshop money would happily bowl for $1-$2 practice games. Eventhough I was junior, 3 game social league, if I remember right, it was $8-$12 per week (depending on league), with trophies (and small prize fund) at end of year.

Due to reasons beyond my control, I gave the sport away though was able to come back 13 years later.

To my surprise, Leagues were $25-$30 now $30-$35 and $5.50+ for practice!! I near had to be picked up of the ground from shock!

i hope this statement and vision will also be picked up by non interested management and staff of centres, the ignorant shareholders and company directors of the business itself, as without them who currently run a great deal of centres, we have no sport as it is (at least thats true in the case out here, nearest centre is almost 4 hrs away)

Unfortunately while that almighty bottom line is in their minds, i feel that bowling as a sport will continue to suffer unless we can convince them that bowling as a sport is just as good for them as bowling as a recreational thing.

I'm sorry but there is an art in mastering what ball, speed, axis tilt etc etc will work on a given oil pattern in each house. Going back to rubber balls and no lane oil won't change anything, except maybe piss off the bowlers who have adapted to change.

The boats already sailed, deal with it.

I do agree that the cost of bowling needs to be addressed, but I doubt anything will or can be done about that.

IMHO, cost is a factor, another is the interest in the sports itself.

When I used to bowl in Singapore a couple of years back, the bowling alley was pretty quiet. I enjoy a couple of cheap practice games (like $2 a game). I knew the Manager well and he's always happy to give me some advices.

Now, it has changed in Singapore. You can't even get a lane at the alley, It cost around $4.10 per game yet it's packed. The interest in bowling has increased greatly. Majority of the bowlers have their own bowling ball and gear.

It's a bit sad coming back to Brissy to see the bowling alley pretty empty apart from league and birthday parties.

I bowl in a league and will bowl as many practice games as my tight schedule allows.

I'm not too sure what can be done to raise the popularity of the sports?

Just a side note: everytime I attempt to do some practice games during non league sessions, I'll be faced with lanes with absolutely no oil, a bit disappointing at times

FFS
I remember when petrol was 80cents a litre
Every thing has gone up in cost so has Wages so the price argument holds no water
So get over it

The bottom line is all centres have to make a profit or they close there doors Simple
And there no point in running a business of any kind and not putting money on you own pocket

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD

Yes tenpin bowling in Australia is Dieing and If things keep going the way they are in years to come it will not be around

In my opinion the real problem is that we are not allowed to help

The help on lanes for beginners is non existent
There is a gross lack of coaches
SO when a beginner takes up the sport they get no help
Those that want to help are not legally allowed due to the insurance issue
I for one have been waiting to do a coaching course for a few years now with no avail

Take this forum for instance
When was the last time you saw a post asking a beginner type question

The post seem to go questions about top rating events to weather you scrunch or fold toilet paper
Nothing in between

The middle of the range people need guidances and when they cannot get it they give up

You go to any centre and ask any social bowler why they don't bowl in a league the usual response is I'm not good enough.
Well thats where Coaching come into play offer them free coaching

Gee there is a lack of coaches
Catch 22

I recently did Level one and two AUSLAN (Australian Sign Language) with one of the intentions to start a Hearing impaired league and to help with the deaf Olympics but not allowed to coach not qualified

Ive got my hand high in the air to volunteer and help anyway I can for the love of the sport

I think what he is trying to achieve is to get an indication of how many bowlers are willing to go back to the culture and discipline of putting the hard yards to improve one's skills and not purely rely on technology to garner a score. To bowl on realistic oil patterns voluntarily and to re-learn the art of thinking one's way around a lane condition and to attempt to help the sport regain some degree of credibility.

If so, I'm in. Always have been.

Or am I right off the track?

Your to bloody old to be in Brenton, at your age, your body's rooted.

:p:p

FFS
I remember when petrol was 80cents a litre

Wow you are not going back far.. I'm a young lad but even I remember when petrol was 53.5 cents per litre.. April 1999. 80 cents was in about 2004. How quickly it went up. I worked in a few servos while going through uni, was frightening to see the price rise history in the books...

Anyway back to topic, the game needs more than a few people willing to put in the hard yards, that won't solve the problem.

Isn't this what challenge leagues are for, basically?

[ opinion mode ]

The thing about tenpin is that it, just like every other sport, has evolved. perhaps our evolution has more bearing on the core of the sport its self compared to say, tennis.. well, no, not really. Back 50 years when they were using wooden rackets, it was a different sport compared to today, even i'd be able to return a serve because the equipment was a lot weaker, less power driiving the ball, etc. perhaps thats the attitude people need to take on, when looking at tenpin, its past & its future.
Perhaps only the highest competitors can really make a judgement on the sport being too easy?
Look at it this way though. From a business perspective, happy customers, = more money. How do you make customers happy? Well, social bowlers are satisfied by great customer service, visual stimuli, etc. League bowlers are a different kettle of fish. They are there to bowl competitively (to a degree, you get some just having fun) & when they bowl on a hard condition, they get frustrated because perhaps they aren't as good as they thought they were... But they won't realise that because they have thrown a 300 game, so they must be great. They start thinking "why do I pay $20 a week to get pissed off, this is rediculous", & there goes one unhappy customer, and a nice portion of yearly revenue for the business.
Thus you can bet that generally, walled lanes are a business decision, not a sporting decision. If it gives people a false sense of security about their skill, so be it. It results from focusing on score, rather than the ability to repeat shots, for mroe than oen night of league. Maybe we need more arrogant people to think they are great, so that they go away & bowl more tournaments...
Which brings me to my final point. This sport is dying from the lack of interest. lack of interest resulting from many factors including price, travelling, etc. Making the sport harder won't increase interest, because us as humans, want more for less. It's our instinct. It's why we have e-mail & instant messaging, compared to letters. Why we have electric stove tops instead of wood fires. Roofing instead of caves. Just as we have reactive equipment instead of rubber equipment, synthetic lanes compared to wooden, etc. But if such a culture exists & becomes successful, you have my respect & admiration.

[/ opinion mode ]

Nev,

Truth is, Brenton's been complaining about knee problems for a while & of the possibility of having surgery. (BODY ROOTED)

Got nothing to do with not taking or taking this Forum seriously.

Taken to much to seriously for far to long in this sport. Take things to seriously sends you silly:

Classic example

I seems Very few take this Forum serious

So it must show on the lanes

Classic example

Like Troyza posted: there is hope out there as there are a lot of bowlers who want to bowl in Challenge or Sports Leagues that lay down a pattern that make the bowler have to work to maintain their strike percentage.

There are a lot of bowlers out there who have turned away from the sport because of the cost factor. Now in reply to a lot of people who are saying to go on and get over it I have this to say:

Most businesses yes will put their prices up and rightfully so when you look at inflation and expenses such as wages etc. However they usually don't do so when they find that there patrons are starting to balk at the prices because they have gone that little to far. So as I can remember paying $1.75 per game and less than $10 for a league night I would like to suggest that game pricing although naturally expected to rise has risen far above what it should have done in the 25 years I have been bowling and thus is a big factor in the mix of the "drop off the cliff" league bowling numbers.

So when you combine that lack of accountability to providing a challenge in the sport, the cost and of course naturally a tendency for people to age or lose interest due to normal life factors then we have an enormous hurdle to overcome before we can see bowling as a sport ressurected in this country. In fact in may not be an attainable goal at all in the end, though I hope that is not the case.

Maybe bowling is too easy on a THS, but winning scores on the PBA tour are sitting in the 180-190 area this year.

I'd love to bowl on harder oil patterns week in week out, but only one center in Brisbane that I know of offers a PBAX oil pattern league (and that centre is on the other side of the city, a good 50 minutes away). THS patterns are fine for the average league bowler, but I think you'll find that there is a market out there for people wanting to bowl on patterns on which they won't easily average 230.

I think a few people need to read some recently announced financial reports and take a look at exactly what the the state of play is in this business in this country. What I read here are a few people who have an old [very] axe to grind - and some with zero appreciation of the real "big picture" financial status of the business in this country.

Are there pockets of difficulty - of course - just as you would expect given what we have lived through [and still live with now] in recent times - but overall the business of bowling is in pretty good shape.

The sport of bowling...................well there's another discussion entirely and that surely is what this thread is about.

"Closing everywhere".....sorry I don't have the time or inclination to bother answering you in any detail - because our company is too busy building new centres and refurbishing older ones that are modernising. Except to say that in the past ten years this industry has generated the OZ Tenpin group, the Kingpin Group, the Strike group, the Bowl Australia Group [now merged under the AMF banner]. Let me say again "there are pockets of difficulty"..and very particularly in some regional areas of Australia - but this is NOT unique this this industry, some areas of regional Australia are under significant pressure to simply survive.

Finally - because someone will raise it - centres like Bayside, Hawthorn, St Leonards, Mutual, Leichardt, Rockdale and more have closed because the value of the dirt they stood on was far too valuable to operate as a bowling centre - all of these centres have been replaced by equal numbers [in some cases two to one] as populations expanded outwards.

If you want to talk something down - select another topic and NOT the Australian bowling industry.

Back
Top Bottom