asking for a show of hands...

This thread is about the SPORT of bowling and really has nothing to do with the industry itself. Please re-read the first line in my initial post which says Bowling, the recreation, is going to be around forever. Its survival is guaranteed because, at its core, bowling is a social activity that provides people the means to hang out with their friends and have a fun time.

Hope this clears up any confusion among the readers of this forum and please let me know whether or not you're willing and able to campaign for a return to 'earning' your scores thru practice, knowledge and hard work..or are you merely content with buying a new ball to conquer the lane condition, rather than learning the art of 'adjusting'

Personally I consider the cost as the biggest killer. I would have loved to bowl in the Australia Cup last weekend but when push comes to shove I had more inportant things to use $700 to $800 on.

This thread is about the SPORT of bowling and really has nothing to do with the industry itself. Please re-read the first line in my initial post which says Bowling, the recreation, is going to be around forever. Its survival is guaranteed because, at its core, bowling is a social activity that provides people the means to hang out with their friends and have a fun time.

Hope this clears up any confusion among the readers of this forum and please let me know whether or not you're willing and able to campaign for a return to 'earning' your scores thru practice, knowledge and hard work..or are you merely content with buying a new ball to conquer the lane condition, rather than learning the art of 'adjusting'

Wayne

I think most of us would like to do just what you are professing from this thread. In fact a lot of us already are by looking to bowl in Sports Leagues rather than on plain easy to score on house conditions.

The problem with what you are professing though is that it now would cost me or a newer bowler twice or even three times as much to develop my game than it did when I did it as I progressed through the ranks (even taking into consideration inflation).

This is where i believe we have a problem as the cost of effort far outways the rewards that may or may not follow (given the current state of competitive bowling in this country). Now as you mentoned there are hurdles to overcome and unfortunately the biggest one the bottom line ($cost) is what determines how people are going to move forward even more these days than it has before.

I for one certainly don't hesitate to put my hand up for the cause.

Steve Jones has pointed out we do have a healthy bowling industry in this country. We also seem to be getting some support from AMF with there deal with the Australian Masters which should certainly help the cause given you would assume that a challenging condition will be layed down for this event. However this support has come at the expense of a number of what were stalwart events on the bowling calendar and thus there is a lot less incentive for people to take up what you are asking them to do due to reduction in events to bowl in.

In order for people to come on board for the cause like a lot of us surely would there does seem to be a big problem I see currently. That is of being able to see the light at the end of the tunnel. What I mean by that is there isn't a viable tournament scene to make it worth while enough for all those comfortable in there inflated house averages to make the transition to the sports condition validated averages the sport badly needs.

We need bowling centres to look at League and competitive bowlers as valued clientele again. To say that is the case these days is not entirely true as it seems they now look at us as a 'to hard basket case' which certainly makes it harder to progress the work hard to develop your skills case.

Terry has summed it up well!

I am all for "learning the art of 'adjusting'" Wayne, as I can't be "merely content with buying a new ball to conquer the lane condition" as, due to the overall costs involved with the sport these days, I can't afford one ! ;)

Which brings the thread back to what most people are talking about in this thread!

It is more than just being WILLING to, it's having the infrastructure and incentives to DO so! Which brings it back to what Terry has stated.

infrastructure and incentives

Here are things which is why there is a lack of numbers in the sport.
Cost - yep - totally agree 100%, but where is the support of growing the sport of tenpin bowling in Australia. Is there growth in bumper bowler leagues, juniors.... NOPE!!

Want a healthy sport again - have to start at the beginning.
Sure add your sports leagues, fix up the tournament rosters, etc - but to have bowlers in the future, you need new bowlers entering the sport - new ones.

If you dont - the sport dies...Simple!!

Who needs the incentives the most - the new bowlers. Derr! This aint rocket science.
Who needs the coaching, and such basic infrastructure - hmmm - the new bowlers....

So are we going to get this sport United??? And get it moving again....

(Great topic starter Wayne!!!)

We talk so much about costs now, but from what I can remember (very little these days) the costs back in the 80's and 90's wasn't that much cheaper, in fact flying was sometimes dearer back then, certain things were, but how much are we talking that makes such a big difference to the numbers that bowl today.
I think there is a bigger picture !

Tony

Wayne, it is the Cost, it doesn't cost as much to bowl in the States, I'm sure you can still pick $1 games over there and when the Aussie Dollar passes parity it will be even cheaper.

willey

Back
Top Bottom