A sad day for bowling, with the loss of a legend

Stax

I have just received news that last night, peacefully in his sleep, my good friend Tom Kury, passed away.

Firstly I would like to pass on my condolences to Sandy Kury, Tom’s wife and their three children, Stephanie, Michelle and Adam.

Tom was a very real part of our Fubar family and his absence will leave a large gap in our group. He was the “the captain” of our merry bunch and was always able to come up with a quick retort to any comment.

Our Fubar group of Steven Wimbridge, Greg Ball, Alan Skupin, Steve Hart, John Bushell and I will forever remember Tom as a never say die bowler, The more you pushed the more that little moustache curled up at the ends and then within the blink of an eye you we behind.

Tom, my friend, I, we, will miss you dearly.

Today, a true legend of tenpin bowling has been lost.

Stax

Condolences to the family, great bowler, always was a pleasure to bowl against him.
Tony.

A sad day for our sport. One of the legends. A fierce competitor, whether bowling or playing golf, but a true gentleman as well. He will be sadly missed.

Sorry to hear the passing of Tom. One of the hardest guys to beat whilst competing against him. A real fighter and true gentleman on and off the lanes. Condolences to Sandy and the children. Will be sadly missed.
Lovey

Rest in peace Tom.Played against him in matchplay in 91 Melb cup.Always a fierce competitor and consumate gentleman.Will be greatly missed.

Sad news...RIP
One of the true gentlemen of our game, the most fierce competitor I every came across, had many conversations with Tom & learnt so much
Condolences to the family
Colin Hunt

Greatly saddened by the news of Tom's passing. He was a true champion & wonderful character of our sport. I bowled many tournaments with Tom. He was always a great competitor & always a friendly & engaging person. My best wishes to all of his family. Tony Murray.

My condolences to Sandy and family. Tom was the toughest competitor ever, no one gave more than he did. He was greatly respected and admired for his determination and never give an inch mentality. He will be sadly missed, I have very fond memories of our time together.

My sincere condolences to Sandy and family. I only knew him at bowling tournaments, but Tom Kury was always, always a complete gentleman to me as a young fellow coming out of juniors and beyond. That didn't stop him from happily eating my lunch for me on the lanes though! Terry's right, Tom never gave an inch, and you couldn't afford to give him one, either. I always had great respect for him.

His mischievous eyes, generous mo, warm smile and mellifluous speaking voice all cleverly disguised the fact that Tom was a poster boy for tenacity. You always knew you had your hands full when you crossed him in matchplay because Tom didn't need "a good look". He could just beat you with heart and guts.

Farewell, old mate.

Tom didn't need "a good look". He could just beat you with heart and guts.

I do not believe there is anything more correct than the above comment about Tom's bowling ability.

RIP Tom, If the lord is selecting his bowling team, he has just filled another spot in that line up!

I could not believe it when i heard the sad news. Tom was a good friend and an inspiration to me on the lanes with his never give up attitude. He will be saddly missed. Best wishes to Sandy @ family.

My sincere condolences. Tom was always a gentleman. I always cringed when I had to bowl against him, too hard to beat. R.I. P
Brian

My condolences to Sandy, Stephanie, Michelle & Adam. Tom put his heart & soul into everything he did. For anyone who bowled against him would understand. The never die attitude was so apparent on the lanes. Tom also made everyone feel welcome with such phrases as 'I was only thinking of you the other day', and 'I was just talking about you the other day', 'we must catch up later on' and so on. Tom had a great sense of humour. Outside of bowling, Tom was a good friend and enjoyed other peoples company. Goodbye Tom.

Its been a very tough time , he was an integral part of our group of friends and someone we all looked up to for guidance , strength , advice and just to be a good mate .
He was just as tough on the lanes as anyone could be and we always had a ding dong fight every matchplay. But he was just as determined and hard to beat at cards , charades , table tennis , darts, cricket , snooker and an argument about politics as well .
Our lives aren't the same already and even though we have moved to Qld we will still all be very close .
He is not only one of the best players to grace our sport but one of the biggest advocates of it as well .
Looking forward to tilting the glass when they finally announce him as Hall of Fame W.A. , QLD and Australia as well .

Nice to see some names from my past recognising the Great Man as well .

Steve Wimbridge

Back
Top Bottom