whose using what

Bin Al ,your hardly a plonker,but yes,ball selection for you is critical.
Thats not a down side in the least.Your in a unique class as well.
You can vary your shot dramatically,and again there are only about 1% that can successfully do it to your degree.
When you can throw such variety,you need 3 classes of balls..for the tight line shot..the medium hook shot,and the wheeeeee shot..you know the one..spectacular strikes..spectacular splits.
In each of those 3 classes,theres thousands of combinations to choose from..good luck.
I had a smile when i read that you were sitting back and watching ..observing..hovering..like Bin vulture..getting wiser.
Thats what the pro,s do..they go to a centre..see what type of shot is required..then drill the required balls.
Us poor amateurs who cant afford to do that are left with buying the gear,drilled a certain way..then hopeing like hell it will work on more conditions then not.
Thats why a lot of the skill has gone out of the game..bowlers change gear in t,ments well before they go through the basics.Then blame the gear.
The lanes start to dry out,change ball..what about hanging onto the same ball and increasing the loft a foot or so..moving the index finger to different points..lengthening or shortening the target area..lowering or straightening the knee bend.
These changes can give you 2-4 extra games with your favourite ball..and staying on your favourite line.
Its not rocket science that if your ball is starting to break into the head pin with a foot to go..that if you loft (not lift) the ball another foot out..your back in the pocket.
This is always a better first option then to increase the speed as you are holding the ball longer at the foul line, and gives your eyes that extra split second to lock onto your target more accurately.
Isnt that the advantage you seek over your competitors..to stay in your comfort zone longer then them.
icon_smile.gif

i gotta mixture of balls.........

I use a 3d pearl hammer, super cuda c and my spare ball is a gold pro rhino!!

i agree with da Milk-man with using ebonite....i used an Apex throughout all of the S.A president shield trials and would have to say that this ball got me into the team. it has so much punch and is so predictable.

i also have Vortex 1 trimax....this ball is also great with awesome hitting power and again its so predictable.

its a shame that ebonite don't make the Vortex 1 any more because i would bye another one for later use in a second.

cyaaazzzzzzz lateerrrrrrr

matty kanafa
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_eek.gif

Ebonite...bowl to win!

Well Tom it will be very interesting this afternoon going for my first hit out. Bloody Neats has had 3 sets already and Im not even on the board yet, something wrong with that scenario.lol

Actually not shes really enjoying her bowling at the moment, drilled her a trauma ER and shes having a ball

I polished 3 balls like glass all with extreme different pin placements.
Plus I drilled a Columbia PRO HOOK (less)put the pin on my axis (pin in) and punched out the pin with BAlance hole

The real challenge is getting the ball down the lane with approaches slower tahn Rosemounts worse nightmare plus the 7feet shorter pattern that what i have bowled on since arriving will be a test, i think it will be more mind over matter - Looking forward to the challenge. Kick Backs are non existent the Monnah of old days if the pin hits the sides and/or gutter they stay there.......lol

So with 7 balls and a hat full of different lines to the pocket if nothing works then last thing will be to change my shoes go home, have a can of Fosters and re think..lol

The Shooting in Melbourne looks pretty honest looking forward to a few of the guys feed back on each day etc etc

Hey Tom do me one big favour DRILL THE TRACK MONEY - same way I drilled that purple thing man u reckon the Rock on was good wait till u put this thing in ur hand, its awesome - if theres oil ........ LoL

GIDDY UP SCOOPS!!!!

Reading the posts of who is using what, can you tell me what I should advise the new bowler in our team (around 80 average) the type of ball she should put on lay by???? We have just got her to use a 10lb house ball and she bowled her first game over 100 last week, so you can imagine how elated she was. It would have to be a ball that is inexpensive yet one that would give her the will to continue bowling. Usually the lanes we bowl on are freshly oiled (can't or won't say any more about what happened last week, but normally the lanes are freshly oiled.).

Would appreciate the comments from someone who obviosly knows how to read the conditions and be able to recommend the right equipment.

Thank

Heather S
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_wink.gif
icon_wink.gif

Hi Heather

Brand new bowler,to be honest it could be a brick, as long as the drill is correct.

Plastic, Urethane, Reactive, Pro-Active it doesnt really matter as long as the fit is good. A brnad new bowler is looking for something that we should all be improving and thats consistency in the realease and the only way they will achieve this is to have their own ball fitted, as you would well know and appreciate.

Your choice of equipment for her is extremely limited in that range of weight, but personally a Polyester or mid-Urethane would be sufficient.

This should enable her to get some roll on the ball, and not just skid like "a set of bald tyres in the wet" like a plastic ball.

I'm quite sure Bobby at Denver would have something to recommend in his stores.

My question bac at you will you advise her to have the ball drilled Conventional or A Relaxed Finger Tip?

GOOD LUCK

Hi Scoops

Thanks for the info, I have printed it off to give to our new bowler.

As for recommending whether she should have the ball drilled conventional or finger tip, well I may be wrong, but I would have thought conventional would be best for a new bowler???? but there again, I guess it is trial and error also. One good thing though, you can always get a ball redrilled if you want to try something different. I used to have finger tip, but now find it too hard to cope with due to my developing rheumatism in my fingers (only slight), but a conventional drilling is better for me.

As for the weight, I might be able to talk her into getting a slightly heavier ball, but it is ultimately her decision in the end.

However, it is good to have some advice from an experienced bowler. Thank you.

Heather S

Heather

As far as deciding the weight of the ball, when i was back home I would recommend that the bowler go up at least 1lb when buying their first ball, simply with the correct fit the added weight is generally not noticable.

I have started a new topic to get a few ideas for you to help decide if she should be Finger Tip or conventional

ALL THE BEST

I have a zone (which i just recently rolled my first 300 with) and a rhino, but my favourite ball was my old xcaliber that ball was the greatest for me anyways.
I had total faith in that ball. funny thing was when i bought it i was told it only had a 12 month life span. HA what a joke i used that ball every week in league for about 3 yrs and even right at the end i rolled 270 -280 games with it so for those so called experts who told (and who believed) me that i believe you dont know what you are talking about

Just purchased a Storm Trauma Recovery, has anyone bowled with this ball would like to tell me what its like on oily to medium conditions for a higher rev bowler?

I got a Tour Power ive been using for a while.
A MUST HAVE!! this ball is awesome, just ask anyone who's got one and they'll praise it till the cows come home
icon_biggrin.gif

I also got a reaction rip recently. this thing goes longer than anything else i've ever had, and hits like a truck!!! if theres oil up front it likes to take off at the back end but if the heads are relatively dry, this thing is unreal
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif

Have'nt had a look here for a while,and I find some reason for optimism with drewy and Tom Kury's posts. The first ball I used was chipped out of a block of granite with a flint axe and I could use it a bit with a conventional grip and a full roller track [track between thumb and middle finger,with no flare,for those who have never heard of such a thing]
When I discovered bowling again,everyone had these funny reactive things,and though I could still bowl a reasonable number of 200s with a house ball,I knew I had to get rid of the full roller. So I did that,the full roller's gone forever,and I've had a few reactive balls.I still have one of those beaut U-Dots which I got years after they first appeared,but I kept the conventional grip,mainly because of bent and knobbled arthritic fingers,but I've changed that recently,and drilled some fingertips.
The result is that the more I try to get with the modern thing,the worse I bowl.
I've drilled balls from 'most reactive to 'least reactive'--The same ball plugged and re-drilled and they still do the same thing - they all move about the same number of boards,all break at the same point,and all flip too hard at the end,and nothing has changed from conventional to fingertip grips.

I used to know I would hit my mark,I used to know it would hit the pocket and when it hit the pocket I knew the pins had a big problem.

Through watching others throwing it out on the lane in the general direction of 5 or 6 or 7 boards providing they've selected the right pill,I've lost track of that's them and not me,and I've stopped 'believing'. Tom's right - it's all a matter of negative thoughts -- I also thought I was the only one who had some sort of older technique 'programmed in'which seems to nullify the difference between balls. Maybe I won't give up after all. Anyone for a tournament with house balls?????

Basically, I'm using a Stomp Black/Gold, Attack Zone/R, and a White Dot.

Scoops

Just thought I would let you know that I bowled another 300 with the Money on the weekend. Thats 2 in 3 months with that ball and ever since I upped the surface from dull to sheen it has never been better. It still works best on oil, really a must have in my arsenal.

George

Have only seen Milkmans post regarding Ebonite - is anyone else using a Vortex and having successes? I have bowled with the Vortex series I for the last 18 months and increased league averages by 15 or so pins. Am now looking at the Afterburner and would like to know if anyone else has an opinion on this ball. I know Matto uses one and I think he likes it.

Also have a purple Power Surge but I don't seem to have much use for it. Should it be completely sanded back?
icon_confused.gif

personaly i lik my good old Columbia Messanger ti, had it for about 2 years and it is streets ahead of my reaction roll(i think even my gem stone out hooks this ball) . also my Enforcer is not a bad ball.

B Boy hit it one....

Storm are very afforable and are the best ball products out at the moment and around the world... they are taking the world by STORM, so jump on the band wagen now and im sue ull be happy with how they go!

"there's a STORM a brewing"

LaaaaaaaaTer

Yes....The Storm balls are very strong.

I recently punched up an Erase-It, 4.5 x 3 and when there is enough oil, it is amazing.

Also, if people are looking for a very good wrist support, I can highly recommend the Storm Strong-Arm.....very nice piece of equipment, if you need one.

Finchy,

Yeah i got an Afterburner.
I don't use it alot. It seems to be a bit wierd on the synthetic lanes but is awesome on the woods.
I'll polishing mine up soon so I'll let you know haw it goes then.
icon_smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom