If You Could Change 3 Things About Bowling In Australia. What Would It Be?

Toon

OWN IT!
There was a comment about how the game is in the decline, yada yada yada.

So I put it to the bowlers, what would you change if you could?

Responses can be as conservative or as radical as you want to make it!

3 things!

1. Australian Bowling Ball Companies

Yes very unrealistic. If we had our own companies that were making a good profit we would have much cheaper bowling ball prices, more money going into our own economy and most of all. We would have sponsors to fuel the sport. If we had tournaments worth real money, we would have more competitors, which would raise popularity and eventually lead to more televised events. The list goes on!

2. PBA $1 Practice Games
No explanation needed, I am not the greatest bowler going around, but I am going to dedicate the next few years to lifting my game and dropping all my other hobbies and working on more tournament play etc. If we had $1 practice games, I would have done this 5-6 years ago and I would probably have tried my luck at the PBA level already.

3. Can opener and a can of worms.
Alright, I am going to do it... HEAVIER PINS.
I am not talking just Australia now, I mean across the game. This would help bring back the advantage of bowlers who have worked for years to perfect their shot, have worked for the perfect release to deliver accuracy and power to have some guy drop a high performance ball over the line to get a similar score/average. This is a harsh and illogical arguement, I will admit that. But I don't think bowling will ever get recognised as a real sport and something worth watching while there are people winning tournaments, bowling 300s, averaging over 200 with no athletic ability or technical ability.

I also think bring in heavier pins would also re-ignite the skill and importance of making spares.

Add your opinion, criticize mine. All opinions will be welcome with open arms.

Good topic Toon, and potential Pandora's box! lol

I haven't thought of 3 things just yet, will think a bit more, and post later... I just wanted to touch on your last point about heavier pins... Whilst the idea is good, I think other issues may arise from heavier ping, such as:

* Pinsetters not being able to cope with heavier pins, leading to more break downs
* Heavier pins would make it harder for young kids to carry decently, even with a decent technique, young kids just don't generate enough power...

I think more could be gained from tighter & tamer ball specs, and tougher, but fair, lane conditions, you know, instead of great big ditches everywhere... That is where reform needs to start first, in my opinion...

:cool:

I didn't even consider the younger generation. Good point.

Just thought I would add this article, its 14 years old but interesting to see what a few of the PBA Bowlers thought when Gold Pins were introduced. The article is clearly biased, as all the comments are positive. Doesn't display the negatives.

Pros give gold pins mixed reaction

The latest promotional tool on the PBA Tour appearing on the "CBS Sports Spectacular" is the new gold bowling pins.

A number of opinions have emerged from bowlers on the tour as to the advantages and disadvantages of the new pins which were introduced by Brunswick on the opening Spring Tour stop and will be a mainstay for the tour on both CBS and ESPN.

Two key points the pros have discussed about the pins are the characteristic changes—four ounces heavier and gold in color.

"I like the heavier pins because you get a truer carry, and it doesn’t penalize the better bowlers," said Norm Duke. "Lighter pins give the bowlers with less talent more of an advantage because sometimes pins fall which should remain standing with certain hits since they fall more easily.

"I wish the PBA would use the heavier gold pins all of the time because they still use the white, lighter pins in the regular blocks before the TV finals. Games for bowlers would be more consistent if they did.

"I think the gold pins should be lighter in color because it’s hard to see the pins in the back when it comes to judging rack arrangement."

Said PBA Hall of Famer Brian Voss: "I agree the pins should be lighter in color because they would be easier to see in a whole rack, and they would look much better on TV. They are too dark now on the tube.

"Concerning their weight, since we all bowl with the same weighted pins in the respective blocks, I don’t think the weight makes so much difference as long as the weights are not mixed in a given block."

Parker Bohn III, who currently is the PBA’s hottest bowler, thinks the new pins are one of the reasons he’s winning.

"The heavier gold pins now reward you for a well-executed game more frequently, and it cuts down on the luck factor," Bohn said. "If you don’t hit the pocket solid on the first ball, you get a nine count more often instead of a strike."

The gold pins will be part of the PBA’s televised finals forever, according to Tournament Director Kirk von Krueger, who says the pins also will be used on all future ESPN telecasts.

von Krueger noted that the ESPN format will remain the same—the traditional top-five and 90 minutes. It will be arena style, with the fans boxed in around a two pairs of lanes and a constant noise level will still be in effect.

i miss the days, when Aulby and PBIII made every tv show between them haha. I've been asked several times "Your not a lefty Daz, why do u like the lefty's?" Watching Parker Bohn glide to the line and finish with that perfect stance is just magical. I like Barnes and Bohn for technique but my Favourite bowler to "watch" is easily PDW, so much flare. NOT track flare.

Back on Topic

1. Less people putting their names down for tournaments then not showing up!
2. Would like to see centeres caring more for the league/tournament bowlers as apposed to the off the street once every 2 years bowlers.
3. I think swearing,misconduct and general childish behaviour, especially in tournaments, should have a zero tolerence and disqualification if you partake in such behaviour.

Imagine your a 175 ave league bowler who lurks the forums a bit, check results and are fairly familiar with the top names in our country atm. Several of those name compete at a tournament in your home centre, you go to watch to see what the atmosphere is like and see if its something you want to do some day. AND you see people kicking machines and swearing and carrying on like 3 year olds(i have a 4 yr old and a 2 yr old, i see this particular behavior everyday).

I know for me personally it just saddens me to see great bowlers acting like this. I'd kill for a peice of some of that talent, and if i had it i would appreciate it, not kick and scream about it.

Basically would like to see more Happy faces in the game, at all participating levels.

There are so many different angles you can take this from. We can go on from days and by the time everyone has assembled their own 3 point view point, I still don't think we would have listed all that can be improved in this game.

I think if you are taking it from an industry level
1. Advertising, promotion and increasing the profile of the sport, not the game, will help with the next point
2. Retention, and continued participation from irregular bowlers, increasing their participation and providing a positive experience
3. For centre proprietors, having the right staff in place with appropriate training

On a competitive bowlers point of view
1. Improving the credibility of scoring in the sport, patterns don't have to be stupidly easy like the average house shot, there should be some challenge, however making patterns too difficult only makes it harder to hit the pocket without addressing other influencing factors ie pins and how easy they also tend to bounce and fall, backend configurations of pindecks etc etc
2. Improved advertising, leads to increase in sponsorship levels that aren't industry based, for too long companies within the industry have been also propping up the industry, this in turns help to fund bigger tournament funds and the potential to attract bigger tournament fields.
3. Provide more education to the tournament going bowler, there is a foundation there at present, but it needs to take the next step to develop for the future, more direct pathways.

Overall
1. Increase membership numbers within the sport, without the numbers, the funding isn't there to develop programs further to improve the sport
2. Looking after and developing the youth on the competitive side of the sport, they are the future
3. Aligning all associations and bowling groups together with one purpose and direction under one association umbrella to progress the sport and not worry about their own little factions

There are plenty of offshoots to all of these points, as I said we can go on forever about it.

IM not sure i have 3 to contribute right now however i have 1 i think is important.

When a new person or team joins a league or shows an interest in bowling as a 'newbie' or even someone who socially bowls weekly (they do exist) i think its vital that these people are told about any opportunities that exist in regards to coaching or improving their game.

Now i know not all centres have coaches (this in itself is another thread) but the ones that do should be available to help new bowlers develop and improve. I hate seeing new teams or individuals start and they pick up a house ball week after week and roll it down the middle of the lane and wonder why they avg 130. Sure i understand people bowl for the social side of things BUT a little bit of knowledge goes a long way and it creates an addiction to improve.

Now im not suggesting everyone gets free lessons or that coaches give up 5 afternoons a week all im saying is in my opinion people who start in leagues probably dont know what options they have in regards to improving. Who knows this might increase pro shop sales, practise game sales and even cafe sales.

3. Can opener and a can of worms.
Alright, I am going to do it... HEAVIER PINS.
I am not talking just Australia now, I mean across the game. This would help bring back the advantage of bowlers who have worked for years to perfect their shot, have worked for the perfect release to deliver accuracy and power to have some guy drop a high performance ball over the line to get a similar score/average. This is a harsh and illogical arguement, I will admit that. But I don't think bowling will ever get recognised as a real sport and something worth watching while there are people winning tournaments, bowling 300s, averaging over 200 with no athletic ability or technical ability.

I also think bring in heavier pins would also re-ignite the skill and importance of making spares.

Add your opinion, criticize mine. All opinions will be welcome with open arms.
Here's one a bit out of left field. Instead of making the pins heavier and harder to knock over, why not make the kickbacks deader. Fewer messengers, fewer wall shots and strikes from poor shots. Not saying the power players don't deserve messengers, they do, just there are too many messengers from bowlers not good enough to generate them. Maybe also make the minimum depth flat gutters deeper as well. Make execution more of a premium.

G'Day,

My two Cents worth.

1: coaching clinics for the new bowler. Invite the centers top bowlers to bowl four games for free with a few new bowler and coach them. This is hard I know as not everybody wants to help out and not everybody can coach. But get the top bowlers to participate in the centers new bowler development.

2: Sports pattern leagues if possible. Though sports patterns are hard as a lot of centers have burnt lanes making the sports pattern harder than it really is. Maybe run point one above for the aspiring tournament bowler on PBA experience style pattern and invite the top bowlers to join in and coach. The thought here is that the 220 average walled up bowler will get the chance to bowl on tough patterns and the 200 average six strike three open frame bowlers will learn to appreciate the sport. Bowling on the sports patterns has made me sharpen my spare shooting. A long way to go still, but improving.

3: too tired to think of number three right now. Maybe after midnight Nude league.

I believe education of bowler would be the biggest thing we could do and least expensive to implement.

I think i might put my 2 bob worth on this one.

1. i agree that we need coaching to allow anyone that participates in bowling to get better at the sport. How ever we need coaching to be more availble than what it is now. Like my self i have had a few people give me hints here and there and have helped me out with my game, but never a full on coach. Unfortunately the job i work and the schedule i have, coaching is a bit hard to get at the moment from an acceditied coach. Also the point of juniors and how they are our future. Yes i do beleive they are our future and need to be invested in, how ever what about the bowlers who picked up bowling not in junior ages (and i know there are heaps of them) are we shunning them too? At the moment there are only things setup for either the junior bowler or the elite bowlers of this country. Id like to see more middle of the field stuff done.

2. Id like to see centres picking up there game and support the sport. Introduce some sport leages on sports or tournament condition patterns (like the kegal challenge series or some WTBA or PBA patterns too). But i would also like to see better conditions to bowl. I have had some really iffy times where approaches and players are not clean and at times i would stick on the lane because of the lazyness of techs. Sometimes i have bowled on great ones too. i would like to see a standard accross the board that an be enforced (and maybe that might add to the longevity of the bowlers life). Also some centres i go into and they are hot (because of air condition problems and other reasons). Maybe pay a bit attention on this as well.

3. I like to see the politics taken out of the sport (i know its a big ask). Also to this point id like to see the Ego's taken out of the sport too. If a 140 average bowler beats over 200 average bowler (on scratch or handicap) they would have to have bowled good enough and would have slightly imporoved their game to do that. Many times have i seen the poor higher average bowler whinge and carry on because they got beaten. Suck it up princesses, those bowlers are the ones paying the memberships and paying the prize fund so you get your prize money.

I know this will get attacked and so be it. But the Fact is that We have a sport that doesn't get the seriousness and attention that it deserves. We have people in the Sport that have their own agenda's and will only play to those, which unfortunately affects the sport. We have people who are living in the past and not working towards the future of this sport.

Nothing else much i can say.

in the words of the great mick foley.

HAVE A NICE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first area that i think could be improved is coaching and therefore education. How many bowling centres around the country have staff members who have done their level one coaching or more? I am sure we can all recall occassions when we have been at a bowling centre where the staff had no idea about the game and how frustrated that can make you feel? If every full time staff member (including managers) at a bowling centre had completed their level one course, they would be able to help the social bowler improve their game and talk to them about the basics of the game as well as provide more assistance to the league bowlers. Imagine if each centre also had a "house pro" who as well as being a bowler of some ability and bowled in a league in that centre but they also had to do their level two coaching to make them eligible for this. They would be available to do some coaching (which they would be paid for) and could also practice for free in that centre which would allow them to bowl with people that they are doing coaching with as well as practice on their own game. Often it only takes one or two people to stay back after league for a few games practice and before you know it there is half a dozen people throwing some extra games on a regular basis. This could help some of the higher perfomance players continue to work on their own game as well as have them work with players in their own centre and to help the next level of bowlers.

Tougher patterns are not always the answer, especially in particular centres where they may not play so true. But there are some centres where they could work better than others, and those are the centres where i would like to see Sport Pattern leagues or PBA Pattern leagues etc. If people want to play on the THS that is fine, but they should have the option of going to a centre where they can play on some of these tougher patterns. I know there are some centres that do this however in my mind there are not enough as some are happy to take the "easy street". Playing on these patterns is great if you understand them, but if there are not people around (either higher level players or coaches) to help explain how to play these patterns and how you can improve your game on them then part of the learning can be lost. I know we already have some sport series events in NSW and VIC, and Jason Doust does a great job of helping the guys in NSW understand how they might play, but playing on a pattern week in and week out gives you an opportunity to understand a pattern and adjust and hopefully improve over a period of time.

1. Bowling here was like Bowling in the USA.
By that I mean, everyone does it and it’s a huge sport, recognition, volume of oil on Lanes, PBA Experience Leagues at centres, PBA Professional League everything.

2. Be cheaper, something like you can buy 100 games for $100 or something but you have a month or something to use them.... at least then if you wanted you could practise like a pro...

3. Make the THS much harder so if you average 200 in a league you are a really bloody good bowler! Like it used to be!

Oh I have another that pisses me off.

MORE PRO SHOPS!!! Stupid amf got rid of most of these so now its really hard to get a ball drilled quickly and when you want and its really bloody expensive!

1. More promotion and coaching opportunities
2. Have our centers looked after a bit more then now
3. More funding

1) More oil on the lanes. Doesn't need to be a flood, but being able to bowl league and actually roll the ball, rather than chuck it.

2) House patterns that are tightened up so it's not so much of a step up when bowlers go to a National Event. Sports Series are a great concept and show you where your game is deficient, however it's the week in - week out bowling that gets you to a higher standard. You can practice all you like, but if it's on the great wall of China, it's still not going to adequately prepare you for bigger tournaments.

3) The cost of practice and new equipment. Buy practice games in bulk for a significantly lower price. Don't have an answer to the equipment cost issue.

Hi, I have not replied to any comments on this site before but this topic is dear to my heart.
The three things I would change are:
1. Oil gutter to gutter. This would bring ACCURACY back into the game and would allow the "stroker" and bowlers with slow ball speed to become more competitive as it would open up the lane. It would reward good shots and penalise bad ones.
2. This change applies mainly to tournaments and will be controversial but I would like to see all "Lefties paired as much as possible and travel in the same direction with lane changes. This should cause some conditioner breakdown and have some effect on shot making. Obviously the traffic density on the right side of the lane is much higher but this move may even the conditioner damage out a little.
3. Reduce the pin action either by increasing the weight slightly or by changing the pin centre of gravity.
I believe we have to make the game more difficult to restore its credibility as a tough sport. These changes could greatly improve our chances for sponsership and once again be rewarded well for honour scores as they will be earned not given.

1 Compulsory Membership for all League Bowlers throughout Australia or de-register the Centre

2 Abandon the necessity for Tournament Accreditation. If the Tournament is held in a registered Centre and the competitors are registered why the need for accreditation?

3 Apply at least half the current Masters prize fund to Rachuig

I suppose I can add my 2 cents worth to some of the notions put up here. I have worked for 36 years down the back in many Centres in Sydney and Newcastle, I have prepared the lanes for SPC and many Grand Prix events.

1. The Pins are heavier than when I first started in Tenpin Bowling, they have increased in Weight from 2 pound 10 ounces up to 3 pound 6 ounces over the Years without stopping the Scoring. Now thats 10 ounces heavier, most of the Top Bowlers now only use a 15 pound Ball, whereas in my early days the Top Bowlers used a 16 pound Ball. Now that should Destroy that Argument.

2. The Pins bounce more because of the Voids in them. Before a Pin is Ratafied it must complete a Test, whereas it cannot score higher than 2 pins a game or lower than 2 pins a game average for an entire League, in a number of test Centres in the USA, They also have Test Pins made out of Magnesium that have been around for decades, that they compare the new Pins against, these Magnesium Pins do not wear out. So this in another untruth put out there.

Brenton Davey must have Bowled in a Crap Centre when he started Bowling, as he has continually refered to the Old Days when it was near impossible to shoot a 200 Game, let alone a 200 average. But Brenton When I stared in the 1960's the ATBC used to have a League average Book printed out every Year and the early pages used to list those Bowlers who Averaged 200 and over and there were Quite a few in Sydney. Reading on an American Bowling site, some one observed from a list of old League sheets that Dick Weber averaged over 230 in the 1950's. So we don't really have a scoring Explosion, because when conditions are right Scoring can be easy even in the 50's.

3. Loosen up the Kickbacks, really, this is what Brenton would have observed if he had a good look at the Old Centres he was bowling in, loose Flat Gutters which also meant loose Kickbacks, as the Flat Gutters help to tighten the Kickbacks if they are put in correctly and tightened down properly. The Depth of the Flat Gutter does not matter as the pins do not need to come out of the Gutters if the Kickbacks are Tight, they bounce straight off the Wall. This is not something any Centre would want as loose Kickbacks will create more wear and tear down there.

4. Oil,this has always been my Main Observation over the Years. I have always believed if you take the Oil off the Lanes it would improve the Sport. The Oil does retard the Scoring, in the "Short Oil" days we still had high Scoring, so that debunks the Ditch Theory, If the Oil is removed to a light Load with a Crown than we can throw away the Reactive Balls as they become useless.

JMHO

willey

Im a bit apprehensive on adding to this thread as my opinion probably wont count for much and nor do i expect it to and i probably havent been with the sport long enough to comment.but these are my thoughts anyway..........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. consistantly different oil patterns each week for leagues.
I like the way the sport can change layouts like from going from a us open layout to pba patterns.what other sport can offer you championship layouts without actually going to play at the venue and actually spending a fortune on getting there and this also gives you a heads up on how well you are actually bowling.

2.Incite about the sport.i didnt know about oiled lanes and reactive balls drilling layouts rotation and axis and neither do anywork mates or friends and when i tell them and they are quite surprised and this is part reason i enjoy the game as it is today with the equipment everybody uses today cause i just cant see myself dragging myself down to a centre week in week out to throw a plastic ball at the same 10 pins with the same shot .( im going to get shot for that ) .im guessing most centres when trying to attract league players offer the free plastic ball after a certain period.What a load of croc.Play 30 weeks or so for qualifying and you will get a new cheap arse plastic bowling ball.Either by then the league players are either long gone or there only there until they get the ball so they can then sell it on ebay and recoup some of there money or they dived into the sport and purchased there own ball.Information with people who know about the sport selling it,COMMONSENSE.

3.CLUB MEMBERSHIPS.Lots of people knock golf but why do clubs thrive.Club Membership.Im not talking TBA or anything the same.Centres know when lanes are busy and quite and they dont take opportunity to fill them.Offer quartely,half yearly or yearly memberships to interested bowlers and open the lanes up for them at quite times for practice,not only will the cafe bonus from this new bowlers might be able to learn if bowling with someone with knowledge.I wouldnt hesitate at paying an amount where i knew i could get practice during certain times and i dont mean this crap from centres AFTER MIDNIGHT BOWLING .Offer monthly, yearly medals,vouchers (not food or drink ) proshop vouchers where you can redeem them for bowling equipment . Centres give a little in return and im betting that you will be rewarded.

Back
Top Bottom