5 things that you would like to see TBA do for you

Jase

Admin
Staff member
If you could ask TBA to do something for you what would it be…

Name 5 things that you would like to see TBA do for you the bowler or the sport of Tenpin Bowling in Australia…

We all know that TBA read the site so let’s tell them what we would like to see done for our sport by the governing body…Please keep it clean and no slanging matches I am sure there will be some interesting answers…

I would like to see

1. Secure sponsorship and television coverage of our majors…
  2. Increase Memberships and a proportion of it go to funding National Tournament Circuit’s in all age groups…
  3. Have lane technicians become accredited technicians, and train them to become more qualified…

Can only think or 3 for now

1. Secure sponsorship and television coverage of our majors…
  2. Increase Memberships and a proportion of it go to funding National Tournament Circuit’s in all age groups…
  3. Have lane technicians become accredited technicians, and train them to become more qualified…

ditto on all the above

One more

* Olympic recognition, work with the AOC & inturn the IOC, not just a demonstration sport, but a full fledged participation sport. I know this has been discussed before and perhaps it is still ongoing, but we have heard nothing of it, is it time to bring it up again ?

* Funding for all levels of bowling, Junior, Youth, Adult, and Seniors. At least one of these levels (from what i hear) receives no funding assistance at all, especially for international representation.

If you could ask TBA to do something for you what would it be…
Name 5 things that you would like to see TBA do for you the bowler or the sport of Tenpin Bowling in Australia…
Jason are you talking short term or long term here?

Make themselves more known to the TBA registered and affiliates bowlers.

That goes for the State Associations as well.

I would like to know, "What does an average League Bowler get for their membership dollars per year". What is the TBA Membership?

In a dream world, I would like to see a centre of excellence with a training bowling centre setup. The centre would have all possible lane and approach combinations established. The bowlers would be able to organise any oil pattern they want. Thus anyone can practice on any condition/combination, complete with video recording etc

ive got 3 things
1) Gain the sport in this country a major sponsor
2) Communicate more to grass root league bowlers about tournaments to get them hooked
3) Standardise guidelines for league lane conditions to make ditches a thing of the past/

I would like to know, "What does an average League Bowler get for their membership dollars per year". What is the TBA Membership?
What does an average league bowler expect for the $11 membership dollars per year? What does $11 buy for anybody these days?

Compare this to the AFL. What does the AFL do for local football groups? All of them have to fundraise so they can give trophies out at the end of the year.
I say membership should be increased to $20. That would be a good start.

I say membership should be increased to $20. That would be a good start.

Agreed mate...Word has it that it might only go up $1.50 next year...That should help things hey...I don’t think so…

Perhaps there should be different levels of Membership…

Nanna who bowls on Tuesday morning with her friends…$12.50…
Nanna’s son who bowls Tuesday and Wednesday nights…$25.00…
Nanna’s other son who wants to bowl in Leagues everywhere and state teams and local championships and stuff…$85.00…Includes a shirt????
And Nanna’s Favorite Son who does what is brother does but also travels to National Tournaments and wants to make him self available for National teams pays…$125.00…Shirt/Towel or both, who knows just something…

These are just figures but I am sure a user pays system would be the way to go

Get rid of Double ranking points for events.

Give bowlers a clear cut path to qualifying for National teams.

Start running themselves like a business, with employees to impliment needed changes to the sport (sponsorship, admin, marketting, revenue generating) Which will in turn attract more international bowlers for major events, due to the increased prize funds.

Introduce International tournament formats to Australia (shorter qualifying formats, re-entries)

Here is my big one:

Impliment a cleaner Lane conditioning policy than previously. Run the Conditions like the PBA runs theirs, with more overall conditioner on the lanes, and distinct oil lengths to dictate where the bowler should play. The pattern decided for each event MUST be advertised, so the bowlers going into the event can prepare their arsenal for the event. THEN impliment new (or support existing) programs to educate new tournament bowlers how to play the condition the best. Instead of tricking 170 average bowlers into thinking they are 200 average bowlers, they can teach them to become 200 average bowlers.

More restricted/graded tournaments to get experiences away from League but without getting trodden on/intimidated in open tournaments.

User pays concept with various membership levels is a great idea and those who want the higher level recognition should mostly pay for it with some support from the lower levels.

Quicker responses from TBA to questions raised with them by bowlers or local associations.

1. A formulated tournament plan for the entire year, so that no events which will draw bowlers away from each other clash.

2. Freedom given to each individual state to run their state in a manner to suit that particular state, and not simply be a next in command of the National body.

3. Increase fees to a sensible level (and the tiered structure has a lot of merit), BUT give something in return. ie better performance, accountability, tidy up their own backyard before aspiring too high, a better structure & etc (this does all cost money, but will be of huge benefit to the sport in the long run).

4. Less control in the actual running of tournaments. Let the organiser decide on format and in particular, lane conditions. Still got me stumped as to why the TBA has to have a say there.

5. Gain more credibility & respect from the bowler by letting him/her see that their hard earned is being used for the betterment of the sport.

1/Lifting the profile of the sport in general in the eye of the general public
ie Media coverage would be great help
Good media coverage would promote sponsorship
2/More encouragement (possibly in the way of handicap tournaments) for the bowlers with a lower averages
I personally believe the focus at the moment is on Juniors and the bowlers with averages of 180 plus the rest just don't get a look in and thats the majority of league bowlers.
3/More trained coaches in the system to help those who want some guidance (not just Juniors)
4/Some sort of encouragement (incentive)for the weekend bowlers to join leagues (Pay coaches to run free clinics?????)
5/???(Watch This Space :D )

Perhaps there should be different levels of Membership…
Nanna who bowls on Tuesday morning with her friends…$12.50…
Nanna’s son who bowls Tuesday and Wednesday nights…$25.00…
Nanna’s other son who wants to bowl in Leagues everywhere and state teams and local championships and stuff…$85.00…Includes a shirt????
And Nanna’s Favorite Son who does what is brother does but also travels to National Tournaments and wants to make him self available for National teams pays…$125.00…Shirt/Towel or both, who knows just something…
These are just figures but I am sure a user pays system would be the way to go

I remember this being in place in l think it was the late 90's.

If you wanted to get national ranking points you had to pay a higher rate (apprx $90 l think it was) and you were also required to have this membership for national team selection.

I think the program was, Gold, Silver & bronze memberships. This was around the time that the ATBC failed and TBA took over.

You need to also remember about the regional centres,if you charge someone who bowls in bundaberg that wants to bowl in the bigger tournaments but has to travel 4 hours to do it $120 per year, is not very fair considering their contribution will only benifit the brisbane association.(just a guideline)

1) Make all TBA registered centres put down certified lane conditions in accordance with TBA policy. No more ditches, no more bone dry outsides, no more stupid lane conditions.

2) Throw out the current rafferties-rules that is the Nationally Ranked Tournament Lane Conditioning Policy and implement something that all centres can use easily, not just those with a Kegel.

3) Make the path to Australian Teams clear cut. Better still, cut the "Australian Teams" bit and just have one "Australian Team". To make the team, you have to be good enough to knock another bowler out of the team, or be next in line to take their place if they are unavailable. Forget all this nominating business and just make it selection, if a bowler is unavailable, move onto the next in line as decided by a group of selectors which should be comprised of one selector from each state and territory.

4) Cut the number of national tournaments back to 6. Hold one (1) national tournament every two (2) months. SA Cup, Australian Open, K&K Classic, NSW Open, SPC, Brunswick Cup. Drop the double-rankings debarcle and allocate points based on the number of entries received. Combine the ladies entries into the mens and give between 5 and 8 pins per game start in all events except where there is an existing ladies national event (ie QLD Ladies Classic), and where there is an existing ladies event in a particular state, have it on the same weekend.

5) Find a way to promote these national tournaments. Start by buying a video camera and start filming bowlers and special parts of these events (like the prize giving ceremony!). Start putting some productions together. Maybe even send it off to some TV stations like ABC. See if they'll take it on. Also send it off to some potential major sponsors and say "this is what we are producing and getting out to show "x" amount of viewers via (insert medium here). This could benefit your company/product by providing exposure in the form of (insert benefits here).

I could keep going, but that's a start.

Porto/Jase, well said on the higher fees.

I would be more then happy to pay $125 a year to become a member, if it was going to benefit better tournaments etc. I am sure there are bowlers out there that feel the same.

1. Take immediate steps to halt the membership slide.
2. Recruit new National Board Members with professional business ability.
3. Introduce attractive Member benefits.
4. Increase the Membership fees dramatically.
5. Improve communications between the CEO and the Membership

Back
Top Bottom