5 things that you would like to see TBA do for you

Would be great if the TBA recognised the efforts and results of the Australian Youth Team in China on the official TBA website.
Leanne

Here's a Radical Suggestion

I have read through this thread with great interest. The membership fee and how to collect it appears to get the gong more often than not here.

Let me add my 2 cents worth to this debate.

Recently TBA posted the Q1/07 P/L statement. Total membership fees collected was $97,922.00 which represents 8902 members. Historically, fees collected within the first 3 months represent 50% of the expected membership income. On this basis 20,000 members and $220,000 would be a real struggle. Additionally, the proprietors continue to pay a reduced lane levy with the income from this being 40% of the membership income.

According to this same document over $180,000 p.a. will go towards salaries, office overheads and consulting fees. You don’t need to be a mathematical genius to realise that there is very little left to do anything else.

IMHO the current membership fee is too “middle of the road”, in that it contributes towards the day to day running of TBA but offers nothing of substance back to Joe Average bowler.

Here’s a radical suggestion. If the NSO is to offer nothing to Joe Average bowler then the membership fee should proportionately reflect this, ie $0.00.

So how does the NSO survive when the membership is free?

History has it that the lane levy system put forward by Peter Finlayson was the most successful model yet adopted by TBA. It was not perfect, but it was close. IMHO a similar model should be adopted whereby a levy of, say 2 cents, is placed on every single game bowled on every lane in every centre. This then means that not one bowler physically puts his/her hand in their pockets to buy membership and yet with this suggestion every league bowler can automatically be deemed a member.

There are close to 3000 lanes in Australia and assuming a daily lineage of 20, at 2 cents per game, this equates to $1200.00 per day, or $438,000 per year. This is about the required cash flow in order for TBA to stay afloat and at the current level of spending.

I’ve always been an advocate of the services of volunteers and firmly believe that the bowlers of this country would get a better service if the NSO was totally voluntarily manned. If the paid staff and professional volunteers were cut then the organisation could run easily on 1 cent per game (using the above analysis). On this basis the volunteers involved would be those that truly wished to help run the sport.

Volunteers are there because they want to be part of our sport and not because they have to so as to earn an income and endure the drudgery of 9 to 5.

An example of this is our well-respected coaching program, which appears is now being sold into Asia. This entire program was written and compiled by unpaid volunteers who certainly have a passion for this sport and in particular the coaching aspect of the sport. I’m sure that these volunteers would have loved to have been paid for their services but even when none is available this has not hindered them in preparing a world class program.

Conversely, if the membership requires something in return then the fees need to start at $30.00 per head.

Re: Here's a Radical Suggestion

Recently TBA posted the Q1/07 P/L statement. Total membership fees collected was $97,922.00 which represents 8902 members. Historically, fees collected within the first 3 months represent 50% of the expected membership income. On this basis 20,000 members and $220,000 would be a real struggle. Additionally, the proprietors continue to pay a reduced lane levy with the income from this being 40% of the membership income.

Based on these figures, and the TBAL count of 147 registered centres, it appears that through the month of March 2007 there is an average of around 60 registered bowlers per centre in Australia. :(

A far cry from in the USA, where the Greater Detroit Bowling Association has over 50,000 members all by itself.

Maybe fees are a topic of their own...

Perhaps there needs to be some more formal way of collecting membership details online, as I wonder how many people pay a registration, but that money never flows to TBA???

There are many bowlers who bowl league, and some of these are in unsanctioned leagues, who never pay a fee to an association or the TBA.

There are many members part of a centre or state based association, who are also you average Joe bowlers, and most of this money flows to TBA - but I do not think all.

Then there are those who bowl league (usually multiple leagues) and tournaments, who pay the same as 'Joe', but perhaps are looking for more to be done with their fee.

Perhaps we should start a "What about fees" thread...

I'm confused

Total membership fees collected was $97,922.00 which represents 8902 members.
If my mathematics are right thats $11 a bowler.
We pay $20 sanction fees where does the other $9 go?

In a recent attempt to recruit more league bowlers the most common response was "I cannot afford to bowl"

Based on this I can only see an increase in fees would be a disastrous the the sport

Im also wondering that is the relationship between the TBA and the NSO?

Re: I'm confused

If my mathematics are right thats $11 a bowler.
We pay $20 sanction fees where does the other $9 go?
In a recent attempt to recruit more league bowlers the most common response was "I cannot afford to bowl"
Based on this I can only see an increase in fees would be a disastrous the the sport
Im also wondering that is the relationship between the TBA and the NSO?

Gday Nev, TBA is the NSO. TBA Charges $11 per bowler the $9 would probably be going to your local association.

Nev: The TBA fee is $11 per bowler, the rest of the money goes to your state based association.. so in Vic that goes to either the MTBA or CTBAM. Other states charge different amounts but it's the same story there.

I like the 2c per game TBA levy idea. Your only problem would be that the total paid by each centre wouldn't reflect the number of league bowlers so could be seen as unfair. Some centres have a low number of leagues but alot of social play. Would this mean that all league bowlers at the centre are automatically TBA members? If so then you could introduce a "Registered Tournament Bowler" membership for those wishing to take part in sanctioned tournaments. Extra cashflow to help with the sport

Nev: The TBA fee is $11 per bowler, the rest of the money goes to your state based association.. so in Vic that goes to either the MTBA or CTBAM. Other states charge different amounts but it's the same story there.

Sorry have to correct that. The Queensland State Association does not get one cent from either Bowler or TBA.

These are Metropolitian based associations and it's unlikely that Nev is bowling in a league affiliated with either of these (although it is possible). Victenpins is the state association but they do not collect extra money via the fee. It is possible that your local association (an LVTBA perhaps) collects this extra $9

Sorry granat, my mistake!
All in know is I fill in a card, pay some money to something with alot of letters for a name and I get to bowl in my league! :D

Thought I would bring this back to the Top since TBA seem to be looking for some answers right now…We all know they are at the desperation stage so let’s see what other suggestions we can come up with…

Let’s forget about Lane conditions for a moment and how much money we pay to the local associations, let’s see what TBA need to be doing to help the sport or better yet themselves…

I have changed a couple of mine since the first post…

1.I would like to see the board with some sort of Business plan or for them to start setting some realistic goals and future targets to meet for boosting of members or participation levels in our sport…

2.I would also like whoever it is in TBA to STOP banning people in high positions from posting on Total Bowling, they all want to sign up and read what is posted, but they keep banning people from posting on this site... mind you then they send emails complaining about certain members of this forum, myself included about what we type in the forum…If this person in question actually aloud some people to have “FREEDOM OF SPEECH” then perhaps this site and the sport itself might actually grow, and heaven forbid it might actually allow the sport to go forward…

It wouldn’t hurt for them to admit they are wrong in some cases, or made some mistakes, you’re all only human, all the bowling public want to see is a plan in motion to fix these mistakes and get this sport back to where it should be…

Come on TBA...to help others you must help yourselves first…

OK Jase,

Staying on what l would like to see TBA do for our sport:

---------------

1) 5 year business plan

Speaks for itself

2) Introduce a complete schools program

This would require a co-ordinator in each state, to visit each of the schools throughout the year, and sell the sport of Ten Pin bowling. At the moment schools have sports programs - lets make bowling part of those programs.

Have each state set up into regions, where each school competes against other members, the winning team then goes into a state final, then onto a National final.

This will introduce younger bowlers into our sport, and foster a stronger league base (tournament base as well), for years to come.

The USA have the college set up, why cant we duplicate something along those lines for this - I am sure Wayne Chester (wchester) maybe able to provide more insights as to how the program works in the USA.

3) National Database of all registered bowlers

This is required to obtain both National & State funding. The funding from these levels increases as the numbers of bowlers increases. It would allow for communications to be provided to all registered players, about upcoming events, meetings, spending, proposed actions, and anything else.

The correct figures of registered players will also provide the sport with the cornerstone to being able to promote itself as a SPORT again, and obtain sponsors to back future plans of the TBA.

A number of people are worried about the privacy laws with each association providing thier members to another body. I am sure that there are ways of addressing these concerns legally (I am sure a legal eagle would be able to advise).

4) Promote Ten Pin Bowling

Speak with all bowling centres about promoting the sport.

Take the sport to the streets so to say. Organise a travelling roadshow. Take it to shopping centres. Find a way to do something like the World Tenpin Masters in England. 1 lane set it up in a major shopping centre, and put on a demonstration of the sport. Offer $2 for 4 frames to the public. Create a vibe about the sport. Advertise were the local centres are at these events

Even set up a Semi Trailer with a Mini bowling lane or 2 inside it. Take this to the shows, and country fairs and the likes. Could even be used at shopping centres, car shows, bike shows, festivals, anything really.

5) Revenue generation programme

If the TBA was able to find a way to generate revenue from other sources (not just solely fees) this depending on the amount raised may allow the positions at the TBA to paid, making them a sought after employment opportunity.

-----------------

Just my thoughts.

Lance Dyer

The TBAL would have a business/strategic Plan as part of funding requirements. This document is a living thing and needs to be addressed/changed/modified regularly.

I think the TBAL does themselves a diservice by not advertising where they are heading. Promote, educate, support and inform. This organisation is built on bowlers and volunteers and the TBA needs to recognise this, ongoing.

QTBA runs a very successful Schools Program, no doubt the introduction of an organised program in other states would be great. That is something the NSO needs to assist the State Associations to fulfil.

The TBAL has employed more staff for the offices, they need to be well informed.
The states are moving towards TBAL Branches, do it in consultation with the associations and committees that already exist. INFORM members of changes before the event.
Membership: Centres have a controlling influence by promoting TBA registration, give them something to promote.
Leagues need to be encouraged to register -the website needs to have a user friendly feel and access, free awards/patches are a positive visual tool.

For all people involved in the sport let's ban the sentence: I remember when.........
There is no comparison to what was, and what can be, the social and economic climate has changed across all sports, and we need to have solutions outside the square.

Leanne.

2.I would also like whoever it is in TBA to STOP banning people in high positions from posting on Total Bowling, they all want to sign up and read what is posted, but they keep banning people from posting on this site... mind you then they send emails complaining about certain members of this forum, myself included about what we type in the forum…If this person in question actually aloud some people to have “FREEDOM OF SPEECH” then perhaps this site and the sport itself might actually grow, and heaven forbid it might actually allow the sport to go forward…

As quote by Jase.

Couldn't agree with you more.........

Cheers

Tony

Maybe Instead of wasting money by sending High level board members to mexico for bowling put that money back into the game. I cant see how sending the chairman to bowl in mexico helps Australian bowling.

1. Work with big business to get funding to get money into the game.
2. With money in the game people get interest by wanting to see it on TV
3. Put TBAQ in charge they are good with money !!
4. Same as abve in number 3
5. Same as above in number 3 - 4

:):)

1. Hire an external consulting firm to chase a big company for sponsorship on a contract to generate desperately needed funds to rejuvenate the sport.

2. Once sponsor attained, a tournament created like the Coke Classic years ago, to showcase the sport to mainstream TV audiences throughout Australia, hence generating interest back into the public and putting our sport back into the public eye.

3. Transparency by the TBA board in their decision making and releasing the info to the bowling community directly from their website, instead of obscure press releases that bowlers tend to get third or fourth hand it seems. (the only info i get from them is via this site).

4. Use of the corporate dollar (sponsor bucks) to be funnelled down the the state associations, proportionately, based on league bowler numbers, to enhance grass roots growth at centre level, and place trained people to assist centre proprietors and managers to be able to better market their businesses so they can attract more youth to our sport. After all, they are the future of any sport!!!!

5. Implementing all of the above via producing a business plan of around 3 years in duration, and action plan points covering the when, why, how, and how action! This is crucial to have purpose and direction, because without a framework (business plan) any organisation, regardless of the size, will go asunder without it. Also making this action plan transparent to the community for a) feedback and constructive addition b) to remove a serious amount of disenchantment amongst the bowling community.

Hope this gets read by the right people and what do you guys out there think?

jase

Nice to you all make some very good comments.
NOW we just need our much travekked CEO to take a break from living out of a suit case, and maybe just maybe take some of these comments on board.

The first thing they need to do is to get Peter Coburn back on side.
They lost one of their most valuable assets when he departed.

Back
Top Bottom