If You Could Change 3 Things About Bowling In Australia. What Would It Be?

I guess it's the complete complacency that drives me nuts with AMF, and the fact that anyone of us who bothers to bowl and visit bowling forums, can see and suggest several small ways for a centre to improve. Some of these suggestions are really so obvious and simple to implement in beggars disbelief as to why it was never done that way in the first place..any advice ever offered generally falls on deaf ears.. Sorry might go, I'm getting all worked up over this, didn't mean to hijack the topic..

I like Michael's idea, at one point I can remember all AMF staff walking around with COACH on back of their tops?? I assumed they must have had some in house training.

It is sadening to be part of a sport u love, to witness slowly, but surely it's decline into god knows what in another 20yrs, under the guidance of AMF and apathetic customer service?!?

Hi Bob,

I will make this pretty quick. I stepped out of bowling for near 24 yrs, when I stopped it was estimated at nearly 116,000 members. I came back to see pretty much the same faces still bowling. A governing body trying to rebuild with a lot less numbers.

Lets hope the TBA can get the grounding they need. Years ago you had to be a TBA member to bowl league. The fact that was made to be a non-requirement is probably the hardest thing to take and the start of the decline.

I am sure there is a lot more to it than that. But the sport needs good goverence to move forward. With out, it is just a bunch of individuals trying to make a difference.

AMF are simply a business, if they don't make money we don't have centres to bowl in. Not saying I like the way they work, but AMF probably should not be the focus and the governing body should be. With their support the sport has to grow from where it is now.

And, i have just taken off the Rose Tinted Glass....!

Time to weigh in here. It has been a while.

The 3 things that not only I would like to see change but feel MUST change for our sport to grow and thrive are:

1. Customer service:

Working as a Store Manager in retail telco and being in the industry for near 10 years, this is the single most vital element to growth. First impressions last in any business and a centre is a business after all. You need customers to keep your doors open, back to basics. Provide the service delivery like Mick touched on and your are 9/10th there. If you delivery service, a smile, a tip, mention leagues, times, and be enthused about your role. Word of mouth is the single most powerful advertising there is. Never underestimate it. New people to the sport have a crap experience and do you think they will tell their friends, no. New people to the sport have a great experience, they will join a league, bring in their friends and family, encourage them to bowl and their kids get into it and that is how you develop your individual centre and then the soprt in general.

2. COACHING:

I see a distinct lack of coaching of juniors and encouraging them to not only continue to bowl, but to actually want to improve. If they don't enjoy it and want to improve with coaching and guidance, them the sport and the individual businesses that form the bowling community throughout Australia WILL die. How to address this? AMF to fund free coaching courses throughout AMF and independant centres at a drop, use some of the small funding the right way to form the basic building blocks, as this is where it begins for participation and development. Long time bowlers should be encouraged to adopt a junior and develop them as well. Dangle a 2 free game carrot or something or sorts to bring this to the front. Also befriend and get to know your junior bowlers, gain their interest and you theirs yours.

3. AMF vs INDEPENDANT

I was one of those bagging AMF a few years ago and now that i regularly bowl in an AMF centre, i have to say things have changed dramatically. Some of things i have seen and the poor maintenance of an independant down the road, bagging and banning bowlers for totally unjust reasons, simply drives your bowlers away and this creates a great ripple effect. A bad impression for new bowlers, less business for the bowl in the negative position and only denigrates the numbers further. This must change and change NOW! Centres regardless of location or chain, need to think about point 1. Customer service. Work for your coin, enjoy your job if you work in the industry, which i will say i see a lot at my home centre, which is AMF, fun and smiles and helpful little things will create more bowlers and more profits to the business side and more bowlers to the sport so everybody wins.

Food for thought for all here.

Jase

I agree Jase, however certainly wasn't meaning to single out AMF as the only bearers of bad service in some centers, it just happens that there are more of them about so easy to lump in that direction. I would say the majority of centers do a pretty fair job but there is always room for improvement.

I think for a centre to have successful customer service you need a mix of those involved in the industry with others who just have great customer service skills. I can relate to an experience we had at the local Strike Bowling Bar the previous year for my sons birthday. We got a combo laser tag/bowling with one of each game, $20 bucks a kid, included pizzas and chips with drinks, pretty good value as it took bout 2hrs toget through it all, but the presentation of the centre was in stark contrast to a normal centre, clean floor, clean furniture, nothing ripped, torn etc, house balls polished and looking new. The staff however made the difference, we didn't pay the extra money for a party host, but one guy looked after my sons group from the moment we got there, not constantly, but he set up the laser tag, came back when done, set up their bowling, their food, did a regular run every 10-15 mins, even gave us some free drinks for the other parents, nothing really out of the ordinary for what you would expect, but being someone in the industry who doesn't see the social side of things from a customer viewpoint too often, it was a refreshing change.

I think that tends to get lost with our league bowlers a little bit, league bowlers will always in most cases be a centers bread and butter.

I also agree we should be doing more to continue encouragement of our juniors bowlers, to often it is left to those good souls who volunteer their time.

1. Remove the fractured setup that is in place and have everything run, organised and managed by one body. When that happens we can move forward with an organised sport.
2. Work out a way to give everyone a chance to bowl tournaments or qualify for rep teams, not just those who can afford it. Then we might get a true and fair outcome.
3. Get rid of ditches. They make a mockery of the sport.

1. Remove the fractured setup that is in place and have everything run, organised and managed by one body. When that happens we can move forward with an organised sport.
2. Work out a way to give everyone a chance to bowl tournaments or qualify for rep teams, not just those who can afford it. Then we might get a true and fair outcome.
3. Get rid of ditches. They make a mockery of the sport.

+ 1000......

I agree Jase, however certainly wasn't meaning to single out AMF as the only bearers of bad service in some centers, it just happens that there are more of them about so easy to lump in that direction. I would say the majority of centers do a pretty fair job but there is always room for improvement.

I know you werent mate. :) Tis very true as you have said.

I am super impressed to hear about the service you got from a strike bowling bar of all places. That is great!

I too think sometimes league bowlers do take things for granted a little too. But you hit the nail on head about bread and butter for sure.

Gotta love this sport regardless of it all.

I hope a few proprietors out there are reading some of this stuff. Might give a bit of perspective from us customers.

bradstar176

That has to take the prize for the greatest load of crap posted this century.
Grow up and take the chip off your shoulder.

Hi
My first post here after seeing a totalbowling.com.au advert on the lanes where I bowl. I have been bowling for 3 months now. I joined a league at a local indepdent centre which allowed me to bowl at flexible times due to work committments.

Things that have impressed me:
Customer service at the centre is great, after the first few weeks of bowling, when I went in some of the staff actually remembered my name. This impressed me since i bowled 3 games once a week. Some times it's the little things that make the biggest impact.

Discounted rates because I was in the league. Sure I was new and the idea of practicing was funny given my ability but the difference between $4 per game and $7.50 per game made practicing a viable option.Handicap in the league I was in, I really needed that. It also meant I wasn't losing every single week and meant there was motivation to come back.

Things I would like to see improved, added, considered

1) more accessible coaching. The centre I bowl at is lucky to have access to a coach who is available for 3 hours on a Saturday morning for bookings. I travel a lot for work at late notice so generally when I call up during the week, he is booked out and often weeks in advance. I have no hesitation in paying for a coach/guide to help me. I just don't know where to find one or how to know if he/she has any idea what hey are on about. Is there a central register of coaches somewhere that have done courses ?

2) access to equipment and people you can talk to about it. I have really small fingers and a weak arm. There is only one ball at my centre I can use and I spend 10mins looking or it when I get there. I would happily buy one if I could get the right one for me. However I have visited 5 centers and none of them having a shop that is open. They have a shop,with balls and stuff inside, but it is always closed. These centres tell me they no longer offer the service. I have done some research on the net and on these forums and have found it difficult to identify somewhere I can go and buy a ball and get it drilled.

3) a better form of promotion that shows when events or to leagues a on. At the moment, I go into bowl, play my three games, then leave. I don't like the idea of paying $4.50 for a bottle of coke so that puts me off staying around and watching. I would love to know that on Thursday nights at x time at y centre you can see top league players bowling. I would enjoying watching.

I accept I am new to bowling and some of the above could be overcome with more net research. In 3 months my average has gone from 80 to about 125 playing once a week. I just feel to make the next step up I need my own ball and some lessons for a coach. So the question from me at the moment is, can I find these or is the lack of availability going to put me off bowling.

Thanks
Momo

Is there a central register of coaches somewhere that have done courses ?

Try Here

Wow how things are different in other places

We have 11 Accredited Coaches here and Some are willing to coach anytime (me included)
We arrange coaching sessions and none turns up to be coached

2) access to equipment and people you can talk to about it. I have really small fingers and a weak arm. There is only one ball at my centre I can use and I spend 10mins looking or it when I get there. I would happily buy one if I could get the right one for me. However I have visited 5 centers and none of them having a shop that is open. They have a shop,with balls and stuff inside, but it is always closed. These centres tell me they no longer offer the service. I have done some research on the net and on these forums and have found it difficult to identify somewhere I can go and buy a ball and get it drilled.

Guess thats the way things are going Pro-Shops are closing every where reason unknown

Maybe ask at the control desk the someone in the centre might be able to help

Hi
My first post here after seeing a totalbowling.com.au advert on the lanes where I bowl. I have been bowling for 3 months now. I joined a league at a local indepdent centre which allowed me to bowl at flexible times due to work committments.

Things that have impressed me:
Customer service at the centre is great, after the first few weeks of bowling, when I went in some of the staff actually remembered my name. This impressed me since i bowled 3 games once a week. Some times it's the little things that make the biggest impact.

Discounted rates because I was in the league. Sure I was new and the idea of practicing was funny given my ability but the difference between $4 per game and $7.50 per game made practicing a viable option.Handicap in the league I was in, I really needed that. It also meant I wasn't losing every single week and meant there was motivation to come back.

Things I would like to see improved, added, considered

1) more accessible coaching. The centre I bowl at is lucky to have access to a coach who is available for 3 hours on a Saturday morning for bookings. I travel a lot for work at late notice so generally when I call up during the week, he is booked out and often weeks in advance. I have no hesitation in paying for a coach/guide to help me. I just don't know where to find one or how to know if he/she has any idea what hey are on about. Is there a central register of coaches somewhere that have done courses ?

3) a better form of promotion that shows when events or to leagues a on. At the moment, I go into bowl, play my three games, then leave. I don't like the idea of paying $4.50 for a bottle of coke so that puts me off staying around and watching. I would love to know that on Thursday nights at x time at y centre you can see top league players bowling. I would enjoying watching.

I accept I am new to bowling and some of the above could be overcome with more net research. In 3 months my average has gone from 80 to about 125 playing once a week. I just feel to make the next step up I need my own ball and some lessons for a coach. So the question from me at the moment is, can I find these or is the lack of availability going to put me off bowling.

Thanks
Momo

With further change I mentioned earlier in this thread, we will see a lot more of this.

This is a great story and regardless of average, to improve by 45 sticks in 3 months is great. Keep at it buddy and it keep going up.

Where do you bowl in Brissy mate? We can make suggestions of the best place to locate a suitable person to talk to about equipment, coaching, etc.... In Melbourne, i am not so sure, depends of where you are bowling and living.

But on the whole, these are the great stories about our sport and a shame we dont hear or see enough of this. It is up to us, the current established, long time bowlers to promote and foster new bowlers to the sport to ensure the future.

Wow how things are different in other places

We have 11 Accredited Coaches here and Some are willing to coach anytime (me included)
We arrange coaching sessions and none turns up to be coached

Guess thats the way things are going Pro-Shops are closing every where reason unknown

Maybe ask at the control desk the someone in the centre might be able to help

Sad to say it, but many bowlers don't want to get better. They want to buy a ball and a robo-wrist and have the lanes walled up so their scores improve. I hear a lot of guys crowing about scores and when I ask them the most basic of questions like "Wow, that's great. Sounds like the lanes were playing well too. How much breakpoint variation did you have?", they get more than a little defensive. Everyone who is honest and looking knows that they score better when they have room. Only the world's best can do it otherwise, despite the claims of the ignorant. And if you're not out there giving Belmo a run for his money, then, just like me, you're not one of the world's best. And that's OK. Just be honest about it and like me, you'll be happier long term.

As for pro shops, I can tell you that an absolute absence of loyalty by certain segments of the customer base means that they just take your work and get it "copied" by some ball shop to save 10 bucks. I think most pro shops close in disgust as much as lack of profitability. Have certainly considered it myself from time to time. My loyal customers keep me plugging along (and drilling and resurfacing) and to them I give my ongoing thanks. I certainly couldn't make a job of it though. Well, maybe. But that would mean moving to Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane and that's a price that's way too high! :)

By the way bargain hunting Gen Y guys (and it's almost always guys), good pro shops recognise each other's work and talk amongst each other. We know who you are. ;)

Gotta go. Too much on right now.

And that's OK. Just be honest about it and like me, you'll be happier long term.. Jason Doust.
Jason, I'm genuinely unhappy to say, you don't actually sound happier lately, and realistically, there's not all that much in the general direction that our 'sport' is heading to be happy about. Luckily, those who have only been bowling for a relatively short time will never know where the sport once was, and so will never know what could have been. To those - be happy - I wish I could share it with you.

1. A TBA registered lane condition tech/team that governs house conditions. IE, travel the country and keep in check all house conditions. Hopefully that will control these overblown fake scores going around the place ESPECIALLY in Melbourne. Also when someone bowls and accredited high game a tape of the lane condition must be sent in also.

2. All bowling balls to be drilled label, no weight holes, lets actually get people to learn how to bowl.

3. Pricing of everything to do with bowling, rates, equipment, coaching, food etc.

1. More coaching clinics/services for the upcoming bowler, whether they be an adult or youth. Me personally I'm coaching 3 juniors and 2 adults and right now, I'm thinking about becoming a coach for some of my centre's junior leagues because I believe everyone who isn't a tournament bowler should have the access to the knowledge that the more advanced bowlers have
2. More sponsors for the sport. Every time I need a sponsor for a state team or even a tournament I want to do, it's so hard because most companies outside of bowling don't really want to sponsor bowlers.
3. Decrease of 'politics'. As an example, I signed up to be on the waiting list for an adult league I really want to be a part of because there's so many good bowlers in it that I really want to bowl against but the day I signed up was 2-3 years ago and still haven't been let in yet every season they've let around 5-6 new bowlers join and I believe it's because there's been rumours spread about me that possibly aren't even true so that's my reputation down the drain

Back
Top Bottom