If You Could Change 3 Things About Bowling In Australia. What Would It Be?

1. Compulsory membership in a new category "associate member". $5 per head but no benefits of the current members.

2. National handicap system. Along the lines as the CCR IN Golf.

3. Oil patterns at Junior events a little easier then they have been in recent years.

James #1 is interesting.

Are you suggesting every league member pays $5 for no reason and gets zero benefit? Like a fee for nothing? Id hate to work in a bowl and tell everyone there is a new fee you have to pay to become and associate member. When asked "a membership of what?" the answer would be....?

No, I am am saying you pay $5 and don't get what the $33 members get. You will actually pay $5 for the National body that looks after your sport to which some bowlers pay nothing. Our national body currently administers our sport for every player, social and league and tournament. Without them we fold.

Ok James i understand what you mean now, and you are right, the $5 probably wouldnt break the bank for pretty much everyone who is involved in a league.

The issue i see is that some centres out there actively push TBA membership which is great, if there ia a $5 alternative then how many of the bowlers that currently pay the $33 will just opt for the $5 pay not much get not much option?

I think a better idea is to offer more for the $33 to entice people to become members in the first place. But that is a whole other thread.

my 3 cents

1. make bowling the new darts. 10-15 years ago no one bothered with darts. look at it now.

2. more media coverage. pretty sure bowling would be better the half the crap australian tv produces atm.

3. this is a bit left field but there is digital radio out there atm. if lawn bowls and fishing can have there own 1 hour show a week why cant ten pin bowling.

pretty much promotion. u wanna fix bowling its all about promotion. promotion brings in more people and more people brings in more money which brings in additional funding which makes us all happy.

Ok James i understand what you mean now, and you are right, the $5 probably wouldnt break the bank for pretty much everyone who is involved in a league.

The issue i see is that some centres out there actively push TBA membership which is great, if there ia a $5 alternative then how many of the bowlers that currently pay the $33 will just opt for the $5 pay not much get not much option?

I think a better idea is to offer more for the $33 to entice people to become members in the first place. But that is a whole other thread.
Just as a new bowler can anyone tell me what do I actually get having payed my $33 to the TBA

Manertuk... welcome to the forum, and bowling... as a $33 (or $30 online) league member you are entitled to the following benefits... I have bolded some of the most important benefits in my opinion.
Membership Benefits:
• Membership card, with a lifetime membership number associated with continuous membership
Discounted practice-game rates for members at all TBA registered bowling centres *conditions apply (In my opinion for a newbie to the sport this benefit pays for the membership in 2 weeks, who'd rather have $6 practice games than $14?)
• A comprehensive accident and injury insurance scheme for all TBA members (Its been said 1000 times on here but look at other sports insurance prices and bowling compares well. More info about memberships and insurance follow the link below.)
• A bi-monthly newsletter from Tenpin Bowling Australia Ltd, distributed by email and available on the TBA website
• Award recognition including header badge and award bars, recognition of high performance awards such as 300 Game award (free plaque once per lifetime), along with subsequent 300 Game plaques, watches and rings (all available for purchase)
• Access to Accor’s “Away On Business” Plan which provides up to a 10% discount on the best unrestricted rate of the day for all TBA members
• Europcar’s fixed discounted Car, Commercial vehicle and Truck rates with lower damage liability fees 365 days of the year for personal and business usage Australia wide
*TBA members will receive the centre League Practice Rate and therefore prices will vary. Other conditions may apply. Please contact centre for additional conditions.

http://www.tenpin.org.au/index.php?id=68

Manertuk... welcome to the forum, and bowling... as a $33 (or $30 online) league member you are entitled to the following benefits... I have bolded some of the most important benefits in my opinion.
Membership Benefits:
• Membership card, with a lifetime membership number associated with continuous membership
Discounted practice-game rates for members at all TBA registered bowling centres *conditions apply (In my opinion for a newbie to the sport this benefit pays for the membership in 2 weeks, who'd rather have $6 practice games than $14?)
• A comprehensive accident and injury insurance scheme for all TBA members (Its been said 1000 times on here but look at other sports insurance prices and bowling compares well. More info about memberships and insurance follow the link below.)
• A bi-monthly newsletter from Tenpin Bowling Australia Ltd, distributed by email and available on the TBA website
• Award recognition including header badge and award bars, recognition of high performance awards such as 300 Game award (free plaque once per lifetime), along with subsequent 300 Game plaques, watches and rings (all available for purchase)
• Access to Accor’s “Away On Business” Plan which provides up to a 10% discount on the best unrestricted rate of the day for all TBA members
• Europcar’s fixed discounted Car, Commercial vehicle and Truck rates with lower damage liability fees 365 days of the year for personal and business usage Australia wide
*TBA members will receive the centre League Practice Rate and therefore prices will vary. Other conditions may apply. Please contact centre for additional conditions.

http://www.tenpin.org.au/index.php?id=68
Thanks for all that as a bowler just starting theres really not much for the newbie the cheaper game rates are a must.What about parents of kids that have never bowled all the car rental,accor stuff means nothing I dont see the TBA as hands on at this level at all I havent been bowling for long and in the country its TB who what ???.

As I've said before, in comparison to other sports the $33 for membership is quite reasonable. Can someone tell me how much soccer is nowadays ??

The practice game benefit is great value. Especially for a new bowler. Ask anyone who has stacked it on the approach or injured themselves bowling if the insurance was useful?? No one appreciates it until they need it.

It is humorous that people spend $300 on a new ball every 3 months but question the $33 membership fee.

Ps Manertuk that last line isn't directed at you. It's just an observation of people in general.

As I've said before, in comparison to other sports the $33 for membership is quite reasonable. Can someone tell me how much soccer is nowadays ??

The practice game benefit is great value. Especially for a new bowler. Ask anyone who has stacked it on the approach or injured themselves bowling if the insurance was useful?? No one appreciates it until they need it.

It is humorous that people spend $300 on a new ball every 3 months but question the $33 membership fee.

Ps Manertuk that last line isn't directed at you. It's just an observation of people in general.
Its not a question of $33 the question was what can we change, just think they should put more into the grass roots or the roots will wilter.
Ps new bowlers don't buy new ball's every 3 months :). Some give up cause of the way they are treated by some older bowlers, Eg our first tourny we didn't know that it was a foul ball when it bounced out of the gutter and hit the ten pin we just thought "how good was that", lol, that was untill we got yelled at by a older bowler and shamed ,just come over and explain things were not all morons and we will learn, by the way thanks for taking the time to answer.

Not to forget the cheap League game rates you pay rather than casual play rates and your lanes are reserved for you each week and oiled cleaned ready to go
It is cheap, In my opinion

Back
Top Bottom