What are your best memories from bowling?

Tiger

Amid all the doom and gloom and negativity on the forums these days, lets make a positive contribution to it.
What are the best memories you have from bowling, what are the funniest moments you've had in the game and, most importantly how much does the game mean to you.

To answer my questions would be
Best Memories
Rolling a 300 game in the league that I have bowled more than half my life in.
Finishing with 7 200+ Games to make Shield in 1992 after being second last with 9 games to go.
Winning the Hobart Masters, State Masters, Bowler of the Year Tournament in the same year at the tender age of 19 - using the same old eurathane ball throughout the whole year.
Beating Steve Wimbridge 241-236 at the Australian Masters in Brisbane in 1994 sparing the 6-7 split in the 10th to get up and win.
Pushing both Ian Bradford and Andrew Frawley in the first two games of the same tournament - Both times, solid 10-pins cost me the game, by 2 & 3 pins.
The whole experience of President Shield - wonderful :wink:
I especially loved those Shield Dinners - and the girly's that went to them :twisted:
I've also loved all the parties and the comraderie involved in the game - :wink:

Funniest Memories
Seeing Paul Lucock leave a 5-7-10 once :lol: :lol:
Seeing Androo Phillips leave a big splat 8-10 - just as I wandered past - after he'd bagged the crap out of me 24 hours earlier for leaving 3 in 5 frames :twisted: Boy, did I get the hiena laugh happening :D
Seeing Simon Gourlay throw his shoe at a Solid 10-pin at Moonah about 15 ago - and spared it :wink:
Seeing Simon Gourlay jump up in the air to run out a strike and put the fist straight through the low-roof raining plaster all over the place in Sponsors league one year.
Bowling in a Bowler Of The Year tournament in 1996 and the lanes were dreadful on that stinking hot December day, I'm shooting a 10-pin :roll: and as I spared it, I look across (4 lanes away) and see Gourlay shooting for the 1-2 - and it hits the heads and takes off towards the 7-pin - I look across and Gourlay just stands there cool as you like and flops out the old fella at the two pins standing - I burst out laughing and almost tripped over the ball return backing off the approach :lol:
Once again Simon Gourlay :? gets up on stage at the Sponsors League Dinner (which was quite posh in those days - except when we were around) :lol: And receives the X-Files Team's runner up cheque and proceeds to grab the microphone and start singing "I love the smell of my own crap" in front of the oldies in the audience...... :lol: I spat my beer out in laughter and had the stitch for a few minutes afterwards - Franka Sinatra impersonations weren't his personal forte :lol:

What does the game mean to me
A hell of a lot, I'd be very lost without it.

My happiest memories are travelling with the Northern Shield teams for the last 4 years (these have virtually been our family holidays). The weekends and weeks away with all the other familys ,there has always been some event that just made my day. I'm sorry that my 3rd daughter Sam decide not to bowl any more otherwise there would have been another 3 years with Shield.
Watching Sally win the State masters and come 2nd in the National masters in the one year was a big rush.
Watching all the kids grow up into fine young adults (this includes every state Shield team) who conduct themselves exceptionally well on the lanes. Some adults could take a leaf out of their book.
Unlike a lot of people I could sit and watch other people bowling for hours on end, their good and bad games. Despite what other people say, I have been involved with other sports and believe me the mateship and friendliness that exists in bowling just does not happen anywhere else.
The funniest thing I have seen is some guy putting a bowling ball through the roof of Maitland bowl. The sight of that ball and all the roofing material landing on the lane kept me laughing for weeks.

The best memories of bowling i hav was when i was a youngen' going away with redcliffe for the nations. i was only like 10 but i must say, it was the best ever. Even though i havent gone away with a rep. team yet ( going away with brisbane team to Rocky in jan) i still have had heaps of fun. I look forward to bowling all the time because of all the ppls and the fun we have. Even though some ppl say that bowlin is easier and there being so much controversy, i still think bowling is and always well rock.

I may have got a little side tracked but yeah, anyways :?

Later :p

Favourite Bowling Moments

1) Bowling a 300/802 with 23 strikes in a row with my father watching on the next pair of lanes at the Queensland Corporate Games in 2000. He hadnt seen me bowl since I was about 14 (8 years) and hasnt watched me since.

2) My first 300 at Richlands in May 1999

3) Starting TotalBowling

that's it for me ...

Hey.... I dun't know if my stories will face up to any of urs as i have onli been bowling for a few years. But in these three years the best thing would have to b seeing sooo many of my friends do extremely well and sum even bowling the ultimate 300 game! This may sound lame... but to me making E.C.C.C for the first time was like wow! and competing in it was the best time of my life! And for the funny things in bowling, there r too mani to say! Bowling has been a great part of my life, and given me so mani laughs and great times! And yet i am onli 14.... I have so mani years to look forward to! And half of these moments r all thanx to the gr8 ppl out there -sum of who u onli meet at a one day competition and end up the greatest friends with! Wat would u do with out bowling?

Hey there,

To answer the questions you've put forward, I would have to say the best memories I have from bowling are making shield when I was 10 years old and being the youngest to compete in the 1992 President Shield. I would also add that winning the 1991 Junior City Masters when I was 9 and bowling my first 600 series when I was 11 was pretty special as well. Other memories from bowling aren't really worth mentioning unless they were good performances. I can't say that there has been too many of those of late! lol

I, too have seen a lot of funny things in bowling, some of it I have been part of and Jess.E. knows what I mean. :wink: Think back to 1998 up in Gold Coast for President Shield.

What does bowling mean to me? that's a pretty good question. It means a fair bit because I like to compete and I enjoy the fact that I can make some pretty good friends in bowling as I have in the past through leagues, tournaments, and president shield.

That's all from me.

Danni

hmmmmm, are we talking inside the bowling ally matt? lol :roll:
inside a bowling ally it would have to be the last game of shelid this year when almost all of the SA team chocked in the last frame for us to win 7 zip....mind u we did finish very strongly....it was the most exciting game i have ever seen.

but that doesnt take the best moment....but we wont go into that :wink: :twisted:

Very nice Memories

My best memories are watching my child bowl from the age of 6 and till now trying her best at every event entered. Mostly is the memories of her behavior on the lanes, whenever she lost or won, she always held her head high and (mostly) had a smile on her face. I was and still am proud of her. :D and of her friends, thank you for enriching her life.

Best Moments-
1)Making the 2002 Presidents Sheild team
2) Winning the National Intercentre Cup in 2000
3) Sheild 2002

Funny Moments
1) Canberra nationals 2000, I threw a basketball into a pool and asked someone if tennis rackets float so i could get the ball, they said yes so i threw it in, and naturally it sank, so here I am taking over my bowling gear to fetch the rank and i fall in.... its canberra and its cold.... you can imagine where i'm going.
2) 2002 Sheild Overall...... when you get 3 guys and a video camera together its funny....
3) Some of the conversation i've had between balls are priceless.

Reasons I bowl
1) I fell in love with it about 3 years ago and never looked back,,, however the money i (and we all have) spent on bowling could be the economy for a small country.
2) the competition, great fun win or lose, winning is better though
3) THE FRIENDSHIPS, they can last a lifetime.

Aah, sweet memories

Best Memories
* Making my first shield team 1999
* Shield trips 1999-2002
* Top qualifying for this years Asian Schools team
* Schools: Leisa and I winning bronze in the doubles, Aus A winning silver in the teams, watching Aus A Boys win their teams and watching Matty O win masters
* Winning SA Under 23's

Funniest moments
* Shield trips in general
* 2002 Developement CAmp

Bowling means quite a lot to me since i've been doing it for 2/3 of my life, and i cant remember much of my life not doing it. Mostly its the competition, the friendships and the enjoyment that means most.

Hey, well moments that stand out for me would be:

Best Moments:
1) Bowling in my first, and last shield, in 2001 in Brisbane
2) Being in the WA Boys Team that ended up second by only a few pts from first.
3) Shooting a 230 average at Melville on day 3 of the 2001 trials (and the reactions on other peoples faces during that day :p :twisted: :p )
4) Finishing 2001 with a 200 league average :D
5) Ending up 3rd in this year's WA Open State Masters at Morley (my first adult masters and my best tournament result) :D

Funny Moments
1) All the sh!tstirring that i have been a part of, and thats been aimed at me, during league, tournament, and at shield.
2) Going the first 10X's then 9 - , a few weeks ago, for a 288... don't know why this funny... i just have a laugh about it a fair bit.

Later..........

NATS 2000

I just watched my best memory of my time bowlin i had it on tape it was the shield ball 2000 in canberra that had to go down as the best ever, when me evan brasting and jason belmonte were up on stage, were only gonna dance at first but then decided to start strippin ev and belmo got down to their boxes i only had the guts to take my shirt of, that was goin heaps good for a couple of songs then we got pulled aside in some room at the hall and the ppl runnin the place said if u do it again you guys are out haha it was awesome.
second best memory would have to be winnin the boys shield that year it really was never in doubt the team was unbeatable.
FRAZ

ah fraz....

those were the days of our lives....almost seems like it was yesterday!

Will never forget that night for as long as my heart still beats

That was the last time "the boys" were a team. and what a TEAM it was!

Loved our work fraz!

LaaaaaaaaaaaaaTer!

Hey Belmo,

Dancing on stage . . . is this a habit of yours???

The biggest laugh I had all year was you on stage in Thailand. You really do have to learn to hang on to your dance partner.

This was closely followed by the Swedish boys (who didn't realise what they were dancing with).

Pipes said:
hmmmmm, are we talking inside the bowling ally matt? lol :roll:

The look on your face with that chick in the side carpark :D
The look on her Mum's face when she spotted you two :evil:
The look on your face when you realise she spotted you :oops:
The look on your face when she comes hurtling towards you :shock:
The look on my face when the boys told me you'd been caught :lol: :lol:
A legendary effort there Ben - Just take chicks behind the Carpenter/Joiners on the other side of the bowl next time ay mate :wink:

well matt her mum didnt seem to be very pissed off about it, and now i can clam tat area to be mine!!! but i think i will take ur advice next time and go around the other side....would u believe that at least 5 worker from decoramma walked past us aswell!!! :roll: heheheh
but as u can see matt it must have been a bloody good effot coz about 7 months down the track from when it happened i am still getting praised for it. look at it this way, maybe it was the best thing to happen in the worst way.
these sorts of things can either give u a big head, or make it shrivel up into nothing!!! lol, take that how u may
Pipes signing out hehehehe

Hey all

My best momory so far would have to be bowling my first 200 game and 500 series in the same night! Did it a couple of weeks ago and since then i have bowled one more 200 game. I'm glad i finally got that 200 game cos i could have had one so many times but just got all nervous and stuffed them up. lol

Funny moments, one would have to be the other night i was practising with Paul Lucock and he left a 3,9,7 split. There was a pin in the gutter from a previous shot. Paul walked up and said watch me spare this, he threw the ball hard down the lane and i thought this is going in the gutter, and it did, hitting the pin in the gutter and throwing that pin into the 3 and 9 pin, and sparing it! Was very funny! :lol:

Thats about all i can say on this topic as i have only been bowling for a year and a half.

Em

Just Me said:
Funny moments, one would have to be the other night i was practising with Paul Lucock and he left a 3,9,7 split. There was a pin in the gutter from a previous shot. Paul walked up and said watch me spare this, he threw the ball hard down the lane and i thought this is going in the gutter, and it did, hitting the pin in the gutter and throwing that pin into the 3 and 9 pin, and sparing it! Was very funny! :lol:
Em

That's such an idiotic thing for an experienced bowler to do...why not just throw a hammer through the gutter, it makes about the same sized hole..Of course there was always the chance of a pin or the ball going up into the air after impact and possibly doing so real damage to the pinsetter...
And Luckock thinks AMF should fix up their bowl....If I were the decision maker, I'd first wait til this idiot quits bowling for good!

Back
Top Bottom