Memories of Mooroolbark

philby

Ok So its confirmed. Mooroolbark is closing. I'm sure there are many of us out there that have fond memories of this great center. I have a few to share.

Saw my first 300 bowled ther by Jason Strawbridge. Melb cup hmmmm a long time ago.

2002/3 Asian schools With some great bowling. The boys winning the gold medal in teams. Girls pushing the great Malaysian team right down to the wire to win silver. And Matt Obrien taking on and beating the best Asia has to offer in the masters. Dont think anybody will forget the 9 pin Arron Kong left in the 12th to loose by a pin. What a game.

Phil

I made my 1st 2 ATBA cuts there. Met plenty of great people like Steve Arundell, Patrick Birtig, Alan Hill and Simon Calder too. I could never quite get on a roll in that place, i always seemed to be stuck somewhere between 195-205av, enough to cash but just couldnt put a whole tournament together somehow.

For me the stand out was to see Ian Bradford bowl for the first time, the guy was truly a machine, 1996 I think it was. Also, I bowled my 30th perfecto there a few weeks ago, now the last ever in that centre.

All the 2003 Asian Schools, both roll-offs and the tournament itself, are the highlights for me along with the Melbourne Youth Cup. All where fantastically run and will long be remembered by all who where there.

And Matt Obrien taking on and beating the best Asia has to offer in the masters. Dont think anybody will forget the 9 pin Arron Kong left in the 12th to loose by a pin. What a game.
Phil

Philby, i have forgotten the 9-pin and i was there.... I do remember a pretty solid 8-pin though.... hahaha :p It was definately a great moment though.

Our memories are mainly in a business sense - but I would just like to say how fantastic Joe & Robyn have been in every way.

It has been a great relationship, pity it has to end.

All the best Joe & Robyn in whichever way you head.

4 times being the highest left hander and missing the first cut which in those days was to 42 *sigh*, one I recall was about 2001 when the next best lefty after me (Chester) was about 20 places behind me!

Obviously things changed a bit in recent years and some years the lefties had huge shots. One lasting impression I always had though was the friendliness of the staff, especially to interstaters. It was very much appreciated.

Having said all that the place will be sorely missed and I hope the proprietors can find a location further down the track and re-kindle the history of Ed Fleming Lanes

I didnt actually see the Asian Schools tourney itself but i saw a fair bit of the rolloffs. 'The Lindz' blew the place apart averaging about 240 with a red Predator!! And Mr Loader throws a little more ball than he did back then, no 8-10's anymore!!!

Philby, i have forgotten the 9-pin and i was there.... I do remember a pretty solid 8-pin though.... hahaha :p It was definately a great moment though.

Thanks Glen it might have been an 8 pin but still why spoil a good story. And yer along with everybody else the great staff who were always friendly and very accommodating.

Phil

4 times being the highest left hander and missing the first cut which in those days was to 42 *sigh*...
Hmmm... I remember crossing pairs with Brenton in 1991 when he showed me even though I was 500 ahead of him, he could make the 7 pin fly 40ft up the gutter. I'll never forget that. Never seen a 16lb Blue Dot move so fast. (We all needed 16lb balls to carry back then...)

I remember starting my first squad that year with 450/2, changing balls to a stronger urethane piece, striking, leaving a stone 9, then striking out for 280. Cost me a boat!

I remember beating Warren Stewart, the last Victorian standing in the stepladder final at MTC. (There's no quieter place...) The only sound when I shut him out was a bit of polite applause and the sound of Garry Howie screaming incoherently with joy down the end of the house. The next game, I missed a 10-pin in the final against Billy Gardiner to force a re-match. :( Bugger.

The next year wasn't so good for the guys that hooked the ball. (None of us cut. This happened quite a bit.) I remember hitting the suspended ceiling with my spare ball. No intention, just locked up on a missile shot. Apparently the dent in the suspension frame remained...

Hmmm... I remember crossing pairs with Brenton in 1991 when he showed me even though I was 500 ahead of him, he could make the 7 pin fly 40ft up the gutter. I'll never forget that. Never seen a 16lb Blue Dot move so fast. (We all needed 16lb balls to carry back then...)

Haha, Every right hander was 500 in front of me then. Still use 16's, only 'cos I throw 15's too hard (except the spare ball which is a 15, a rare concession to old age!)

I also recall the "Australia Cup World Series" tournament in '92. I was paired with a German lefty named Carlo Greulich. I was throwing a blue Phantom, he a black Phantom. I was standing way left throwing a dead point shot (Whats changed i hear you all scream!) and he was standing far, FAR right lofting the gutter caps. At that point I figured one of us was doing something wrong, and given that he was carrying and I was not, well, I figured it might possibly have been me. Just goes to show how stubborn I am, as nothing has changed since then LOL. Just missed that cut and my $1000 entry fee plus airfares etc was gone.......

Than watch Peter Knopp throw 300 with a Maxim! Talk about an inferiority complex. I think it might have been about then that we began to realise that we were playing a different game to the Europeans and Americans, but I think that might be for another thread somewhere down the track.......

Back
Top Bottom