Earphones on the Lanes

what do you think of bowlers wearing earphones on the Lanes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bm2

I'm still standin'
I was just curious as to what the majority of people thought about bowlers wearing their walkmans, mp3's, ipods and the likes whilst on the lanes....

I myself am guilty of doing it during some tournaments - why?........ My tendancy is to allow myself to be too easily distracted by what others are doing in the rest of the house, and find if I am listening to the music that I enjoy, I am able to focus on what I am doing, rather than worrying about what Susie bowler is doing 3 lanes away. I have the sound level low, so that I can still hear what is going on around me and participate in conversations with the other bowlers on the lanes. I definately don't wear them to be rude to my fellow lane sharers, and would hate to think that this is the perception.

Eager to read the thoughts and views of others...........

Broni

Apparently there is actually a rule that when on the approach yo can only have one earphone in. Not both.

I think this has something to do with the safety aspect.

Personally I'm not worried as I know that people like to use them to keep their concentration on the game and not get distracted by what other people are doing and saying.

This is quiet funny…I was going to dig up the last time this topic was up and make a comment on it…Broni I have had a complete about face on this since the weekend…Up until Saturday I had never ever listened to an MP3 or IPOD whilst I was bowling…

On Saturday with lighting quick approaches I found that listening to some songs on someone’s IPOD it slowed my timing down and helped me out…I didn’t and probably would never wear one on the lanes whilst bowling but in future will most certainly be using that IPOD again in between shots…I like you still participated with conversation but mind you was pissed when one of my favorite songs was on and that Conquest character kept interrupting me from listening to it…I am sure he knew that as well…:D

But yeah I think don’t knock something till you try it…They can sometimes help you out with timing or nerves…Mind you Jimbo gave me his to have a look at on Sunday and I couldn't believe the music he listened too…Duran Duran…Boy’s to Men…Bros…Kylie…George Michael and Elton John…Any wonder I was worried bowling with him Sunday…:D :D :D

I think it should be banned when actually on the approach - personally I believe it's unacceptable. In the player's area is fine, no worries, but not on the approach.

…Mind you Jimbo gave me his to have a look at on Sunday and I couldn't believe the music he listened too…Duran Duran…Boy’s to Men…Bros…Kylie…George Michael and Elton John…Any wonder I was worried bowling with him Sunday…:D :D :D

almost the same as what was on mine!!! Obviously we are of the same vintage lol:D

Personally I think it is rude and unacceptable to wear them.
(but I am from the old school).
(I have never seen a golfer/football player etc wear them...have you?)

But regardless to what is said about the wearing of earphones it will still continue. I guess it will be " Each to their own".

I have no objection if you are bowling singles. I would be focused on my own game and not that of others.

When in a doubles/team environment one needs to communicate with fellow team members. Encouragement is a what pulls bowlers through.

Just my opinion.

I just love the focus it can give you during tricky gameplay..... You would be suprised how much harder and smoother the ball can be delivered when listening to some System of a Down or vintage Metallica.
The louder the better aswell I reckon. Generally I only have one earpiece in during gameplay, then none of the goings on around you are missed either.

Those of us old enough to remember (esp twenban and lovey!) would recall Ron Spiteri bowling in a tournament with his little tranny clasped to his ear with his left hand while bowling with his right, and inevitably striking (unless the hayburner/dishlicker he had bet his "hard" earned on had been pipped at the post).

HIs progress with the bookies could be easily traced by his scores and his "colourful" commentary.

I think thateach to their own as long as they are still polite to those around them and actually carry out a covnersation when one is started. I was bowling with a young person on Saturday and they had an ipod and earphones in both ears and totally ignored me for the entire block, they wouldn't even share one of their good shots. I found that a bit rude.
I have however, used a mp3 player during a inhouse masters and it certainly helped me to concentrate on my shot and that inturn helped me to win the masters. So again, I say each to their own, but remember to be polite and chat sometimes.

But regardless to what is said about the wearing of earphones it will still continue. I guess it will be " Each to their own".
I have no objection if you are bowling singles. I would be focused on my own game and not that of others.
When in a doubles/team environment one needs to communicate with fellow team members. Encouragement is a what pulls bowlers through.
Just my opinion.

From what i've seen of you and your husbands encouragement amongst fellow bowlers is quite low on your list. In a team laughing, cheering and mucking around within your team, is what pulls bowlers through. After the anti- fun rules that you and your committies introduce to leagues, I am not surprised that the whole league isn't wearing them, like robots.:mad:

I think head phones should be ok during league, but not in a team enviroment, it could come accross as rude with your other team mates.

P.s Jase this spell check you have included has worked well for me, thanks mate.:D

i cant see any reason why it shouldnt be allowed. I use my ipod while practacing , helps me stay focused and alert because i get to listen to what i want, and not the crap the centre staff choose to play.

This would bring forward an interesting scenario - would this be considered "performance enhancing" if put to a rules committee?

My response to the question: I would use them anytime, but I'm not sure what the rules are in this situation.

Just my opinion.

RUDE, you have to be kidding me.

I will use this person who started this post, sorry Broni but you are the only one I have seen wear them while bowling.

I would not say that people wearing them are rude, Broni wears them, does she talk while bowling YES, does she answer when spoken too while having ear phones in her ears YES, does she still smile and still tell other bowlers nice shot etc, that would again be YES. Do I find her rude that would be no, why cause some people love to talk as that calms them while bowling, Broni has ear phones in, maybe to calm her, make her not think too much who knows, but I had mine in on the weekend and I didnt think I was rude to anyone.

Who knows maybe I am Just NEW SCHOOL, but come on, times are changing, what will they see as rude next speaking on your mobile while bowling.
Some people need to grow up. Just my thoughts.

It doesn't bother me.
If it doesn't affect any of the bowlers around them then i can't see anything wrong with it.
I, personally, don't wear them while i bowl. But i can't see why someone else shouldn't be able to if they wanted to.
Crispy

I think listening to them in a social league is not being social. But during tournaments lets face it , you pay the bucks and if music helps you win then go for it.

I've seen the odd person here & there do it over the years, mainly juniors and it's never bothered me at all.
You'd often see it during roll-offs or on the occasional league night - no biggie.
I personally wouldn't do it, I once listened to a local football match in between shots while bowling in an Inter Association teams tournament at Moonah in the middle-90's, and the Tigers got belted by 132-points, needless to say I was in an absolutely filthy mood and bowled terrible.

Not my thing, but each to their own, if it helps you bowl better.

From what i've seen of you and your husbands encouragement amongst fellow bowlers is quite low on your list. In a team laughing, cheering and mucking around within your team, is what pulls bowlers through. After the anti- fun rules that you and your committies introduce to leagues, I am not surprised that the whole league isn't wearing them, like robots.:mad:
I think head phones should be ok during league, but not in a team enviroment, it could come accross as rude with your other team mates.
P.s Jase this spell check you have included has worked well for me, thanks mate.:D
Stevie babe, yep it's a lot better. Just a few missed the check. Love ya champ:cool:

This is quiet funny…I was going to dig up the last time this topic was up and make a comment on it…Broni I have had a complete about face on this since the weekend…Up until Saturday I had never ever listened to an MP3 or IPOD whilst I was bowling…
On Saturday with lighting quick approaches I found that listening to some songs on someone’s IPOD it slowed my timing down and helped me out…I didn’t and probably would never wear one on the lanes whilst bowling but in future will most certainly be using that IPOD again in between shots…I like you still participated with conversation but mind you was pissed when one of my favorite songs was on and that Conquest character kept interrupting me from listening to it…I am sure he knew that as well…:D
But yeah I think don’t knock something till you try it…They can sometimes help you out with timing or nerves…Mind you Jimbo gave me his to have a look at on Sunday and I couldn't believe the music he listened too…Duran Duran…Boy’s to Men…Bros…Kylie…George Michael and Elton John…Any wonder I was worried bowling with him Sunday…:D :D :D

Jase im sure you would have seen the Proclaimers on his ipod as well??

Did he have the speed turned extra fast too so he could understand it :p

Don't bowl then........[/SIZE]

This has nothing to do with the league.....

Stay with the topic on hand....
Broni asked a question and I gave my opinion..

Back
Top Bottom