Slow Bowling and Lane Courtesy

dunryc

Long Suffering Raiders Fan
I have a question for you all.

What is up with giving way to 2 or more lanes either side during tournaments?
What's wrong with 1 lane courtesy? Are all of you so easily distracted that you can't bowl unless there is no movement within 30 feet of you?

When I bowled in PBA events, they had a system of alternate lanes bowling.
A bowler on lanes 1/2 would bowl at the same time as a bowler on lanes 5/6, then a bowler on 3/4 would bowl at the same time as a bowler on 7/8 and then back to 1/2, 5/6 and so on. It took a little bit of getting used to but it works really well and keeps things moving along nicely. Qualifying takes forever these days with the likes of Trotts and Quals waiting for 3 lanes either side of them to be clear before they go. Very annoying and totally unnecessary in my view. Get a move on people!

Obviously, I'm a bit old school. What do the rest of you think?

Jan

Some people take longer.

If Trots wins taking longer, I don't think I would change if I were him.

On the other hand it can be annoying and some people (myself included) have been warned to speed up.

This is a common issue, and one that needs to be addressed.:D

A lot of bowlers are unsure of the rules associated with bowler courtesy in my opinion. That is why people just wait for the bowlers either side of them to bowl before they step onto the approach.

What is even more annoying is if you have a string of strikes, then a bowler simply barges onto the lane to try and put you off... and trust me, it does happen!:mad:

Waiting for bowlers is not a new concept but some people really do need to get a move on. Slow bowling is annoying to watch, and frustrating for the competition.

This may seem a bit weird, but I actually give way to a bowler if they:

a. Are on the approach first;)

b. Are bowling better than I am at the time:eek:

c. Don't take a year to bowl the ball (if they take a long time, I tend to make sure I am there first!):p

Does anyone else have their own variations on this?

I personally do not have a problem with only giving way one lane, however, there ar emany players at tournament level who insist on giving way 2 lanes and if you get up 2 lanes from them , they back away and usually make some sort of gesture or comment. This I find very distracting, especially on my left side as I have a very open stance. As a result, I give way 2 lanes at tournaments, more to prevent problems for myself, than for anyone else.

If everyone gave way one lane, then there would be no issue, same if everyone gave way 2 lanes. It is this inconsistency, or should I say a lack of an enforced standard, be it one lane or 2, that causes the confusion.

The PBA courtesy Jan refers to is called the "Double Jump" rule and they are HOT on it, you stand there like one of those sideshow alley clowns with your head going side to side, waiting for someone to come along and pop a ping pong ball in it! But wo betide any player, pro or amateur who double jumps or they will cop a warning, then a fine.

Well i only give way to the lane next to me on either side,if there are ppl that give way 2 lanes and they are up i just walk up on the lane....call me ignorant or rude if you like but i figure since its not in the rules to give way 2 lanes if they dont like it they can restart their approach.

I think i tend to agree with the 3 points the Insider made!!
I know when someone around me is on a string of strikes i make sure i watch their game as to make sure his/her game go as smoothly as possible with minimal rhythm disruption. I mean... it doesn't matter whether you ARE bowling next to a bowler like Trotts or Quali, or just a 160 avg league bowler, if they do require their time and space on the lane, then i don't see why other bowlers shouldn't give the same courtesy to them? If it is a matter of extending the time of each match by 2 minutes or so and it keeps everyone happy and comfortable. I think it wouldn't hurt!
R

I can't BELIEVE how easily some people get distracted. I had someone on a lane 3 or 4 lanes away who visibly cracked it at me during a tournament for cutting her off. What you're doing looking 3 lanes to your left during your setup is beyond me. So my rule is to give way as many lanes as it takes to keep everyone happy. :p

I have only ever given way to the lane on my imediate left or right. Dont know about anyone else but i cant even see bowlers 2 lanes away while im bowling? well i dont notice it if i do! Maybe i just have bad peripheral vision?

I agree with giving way one lane. My question to those who give way two lanes, is this: How do you go bowling in league?

I dont know about the PBA's rules regarding giving way, but when I was at the US Senior Open in June it took three hours for each squad (with one on a lane) to bowl six games! Every squad was the same...but I guess you have to make some allowances for the over 50's.

I'm never in a rush to make a shot. Personally, I like the PBA sytem. Barring mechanical failure or being double jumped, the players know when to bowl and they get through the squads in a respectable time with plenty of lanes grace (2 on one side and three on the other with this system.) To explain the system as it was patiently explained to me by Jim Pencak (after I double jumped him); "The bowler on the pair to your right bowls, the bowler on the pair to your left bowls, then you bowl."

Giving two lanes grace means that more players can be on the approach at the same time than the PBA system, so games move a pinch faster and you have plenty of room. If the guy three lanes away bothers you, then some focus exercises might be useful. That said, I did stop a shot in the third step during matchplay in the NSW Open and I made Trots balk four lanes away, which made someone else in the distance balk as well. It was pretty funny and understandable. I apologised of course, but I wasn't going to throw that shot!

Incidentally, the term "rabbit" as in PBA qualifying rounds or "Rabbit Squads" comes from all the double jumping that goes on.

Jan

Before you post things you might like to check your facts, yes Trotts may be slow on the approach but he never insists on three lanes either side before he bowls....in fact he merely goes along with the flow of what is occuring during a particular event, be that 1 lane or 2 lanes but absolutely never 3 lanes.

Cheryl

I like to bowl when I'm ready and when it's safe to start on the approach. I suppose that most of us are conditioned to league ettiquette to give way to the bowler on either side of your lane already bowling, and giving way to the bowler on the approach to your right. How simple is this!!!

I hate having to wait for slower bowlers who may or may not be ready 2 lanes away with the ball in their hands, fiddling with wiping and searching and swivel-necking, waiting for their turn to bowl, waving on others to bowl until they are ready!

If someone is willing to pay for my bowling fees during a tournament, I would surely give them a lot more respect and courtesy.

Michael

In addition to the post I have already made, I think it would save confusion if people could just bowl when they are ready, and if they were there first.:)

Having said that, there are some people who insist everything has to be done by the book - and the definition of lane ettiquette has been tweaked, so there lies the confusion!

Personally I think there needs to be a clear clarification either way. Maybe a "tournament rule" in the TBA rulebook.

For me, I only need 1 lane either side, that's what you practice every night in league so I don't see why tournaments should be any different, however I realise everyone is different and some people like that extra buffer.

Having said that, the way it is here now with the rules we have, no bowler has the right to get up another bowler for only giving 1 lane, as that is what is in the rules at this point in time.

So what about riding.. is someone going to crack it 6 lanes away if you ride a lane?

I am all for letting people either side of me bowl before l do.

Especially if they are there first. With a slight look and nod its enough courtesy for me to bowl.

Again, if someone is on a streak of strikes (and I notice it) I will pause my bowling and let them finish/try to strike out, though, at any tournament/league I will only give way 1 lane either side. The rule book does state that (not very clearly in my opinion, though, no where does it state 2 or more lanes need to be given way). If people have it in their head that 2 - 3 lanes need to be given, then I will let them give way 2-3 lanes for me, though, I will not let them dictate their opinion onto myself. If they want to snicker and say something, I will say snicker and say something back.
I know there ARE people who try to use that "perceived rule" (2 lanes must be given) to put you off your game. I say, return the favour! I have seen someone gesture and comment towards another person two lanes away about approaching on the lanes and then approach onto someone else only minutes later. This was merely an attempt to put second thoughts into their minds and put them off their game. He even admitted that later. If someone does gesture or say something to you, make sure that they know that only one lane either side is required and you will play your game your way! (within the rules)

Though I do believe greater clarity is needed on this subject and in the tba rule book. If the rule is changed to two lanes either side then that is what I will do. Until then 1 lane either side is all I will give.

Again, if someone is on a streak of strikes (and I notice it) I will pause my bowling and let them finish/try to strike out, though, at any tournament/league I will only give way 1 lane either side.

I do that too, sometimes l even stand back and watch if they are on a roll of strikes.

The rules about multi-lanes giving way seems awfully confusing. When l started league l founded it a little hard to remember, l have no trouble now, but l couldn't imagine giving away to 2-3 lanes either side of me!

this is an easy 1! how do you all bowl in your leagues??????

give way 1 lane either side of you and away you go. the rules of the game don't dictate having to give way any further. we not in america and we're certainly not in the PBA, this is australia after all!!!!

wether u are in league, social, tournament play, whatever, that is the rules and ettiquette.

1 lane only.

anyone try and get up me in a tourney for only giving away 1 lane, well you're going to have a face full from me as that's the way it's always been.

1 lane only.

Hi there all

I am glad there is more than one bowler out there that believes that 1 lane should only be given when giving way to bowlers in a tournament.

I have bowled a few open tournaments and that is one thing that does frustrate me a little when bowling is looking that extra lane giving way.

I have always said that it doesn't state 2 lanes in the rule book so why does it happen. I have always just gone along with the flow so not to cause conflict with any other bowlers.

I might just start giving way to 1 lane and see what happens.

Just my thoughts.

DAVID SNIEDZE

Back
Top Bottom