Position on the wearing of shorts in tournaments

Shorts... Or No Shorts???

• Shorts

Votes: 220 83.0%
  • No Shorts

Votes: 45 17.0%

• Total voters
Let's face it if the Fashion Police were on the beat at Bowling Centres there would be a huge rise in arrests. Some bowlers have no fashion sense or a mirror at their front door as they leave to go bowling

As in most centres the air-conditioning either doesn't work or it is ineffective
and in those types of situations you would be forgiven in wanting to stay cool by wearing the most appropriate clothing

But let's face it when you speak to people about the sport of ten pin bowling the perception is that is a game played by overweight unfit people that can't play any other sport and is associated with men and women who wear T shirts and grey tracky pants.

I personally like the dress codes at major tournaments and I believe shorts have their place in certain areas, but like many, some just dont do shorts justice, as mini skirts dont do some females justice, or boxers hanging out over top of shorts or trousers ! (Where are the fashion police when this happens?)

At our local, in Comp. on most days about 90% wear shorts.
As for shorts in bowling, dress shorts should be allowed. Seems changes are made occasionally. I have seen bowlers in shirts without collars in major tournaments and on the PBA telecasts, though I dont recall any pro's wearing shorts though.
Rob

got a few pba vids of pros wearing shorts. they are dress shorts and look smart and well presented.

shorts should be allowed as long as they are dress shorts and have no name brands on them. so the sport still looks professional.

luke green

It gets awfully hot in summer in most places of australia, and its inpracticle to expect people playing sport to wear long pants.

Most Sports are also played outdoors. If a centre has Air-con there should be no problem getting through the day in long pants.

It will be interesting to see what the weather will be like for S.A. Cup in January (Middle Summer). Bowled league couple weeks ago at Cross Rd Bowl on a 33c day, 4 man team. Was like bowling in a Sauna. Air conditioner blew up months & months ago & nobody has got off there arse's to do anything to fix it.

I hope the tournament comittee will show some common sense if its 38 degrees and no Air-con.
Maybe they should look at Woodville again for the S.A. Cup. Brand new centre.

Ah well, i prob will anyway, bowling down here prepares you for just about anything!!

what if a Ball company released branded shorts would people still say it wasnt ok for bowling.

I remember not so long ago that it was unacceptable to wear shirts without a colar in tournaments now i see brands like Track and Ebonite have bowling shirts without colars so whats the difference really. Lets make ourselfs look more sporty and have shorts as an option. After all wear playing sport we arent in an office.

Tailored shorts should be allowed

Chin Woodville might be new & Yes a much better centre - but its still has the old crappy aircon unit.

Dave

Shorts - Yes.
Lawn bowlers wear shorts - and that is the closest sport in comparison to tenpin.

Lawn bowls is outside and last time I checked, we bowl inside. So not sure why we should compare dress codes between the sports.

Plus I would really rather not watch a bowling tournament where all the guys look like lawn bowls men :p lol

You mite be surprised kace .... I think you will find the average age of the Australian Lawn Bowls team is around 25-26 .... bout your vintage :D :D :D ..... and suffers probably even worse through image than tenpin ..... it is certainly no longer an 'old man's game' ..... most of the good state sides also have a similar average age now ...... so you and many others may get a shock if you ever end up watching a game for some unkown reason! ...... however if you just go down to your average local bowls club here in tassie .... well i cant give you any gurantees!

But agree comparing sports is not the answer. I dont see the issue, if they are tailored shorts, there should be no reason you cant wear them.

You mite be surprised kace .... I think you will find the average age of the Australian Lawn Bowls team is around 25-26 .... bout your vintage :D :D :D ..... and suffers probably even worse through image than tenpin ..... it is certainly no longer an 'old man's game' ..... most of the good state sides also have a similar average age now ...... so you and many others may get a shock if you ever end up watching a game for some unkown reason! ...... however if you just go down to your average local bowls club here in tassie .... well i cant give you any gurantees!
But agree comparing sports is not the answer. I dont see the issue, if they are tailored shorts, there should be no reason you cant wear them.

Hehe... knew I would get a bite out of you Scott ;) I was actually not really referring to the age factor, but the dreadful uniforms most of them wear when I've watched bowls on ABC (yes, I admit I've watched it haha). I must point out though that from my ventures to the local bowls club through a corporate challenge at work... well... let's just say most of the crowd up there well and truly had a fair few years on me!! (and even probably a couple on you Mr Summers :p )

I think the major point here is that most people would like to see a more definitive set of guidelines set down by TBA for dress codes, rather than not knowing what a certain tournament director may or may not allow?

Interesting poll Porto.

As one of the "offenders" from Hobart, I have pretty strong views on this subject. Everyone is different and have varying comfort levels. Personally, I feel the heat once it gets over 16 degrees. I know I'm a bit of a polar bear in that sense and I don't expect everyone else to fit in with my comfort zone but nor should everyone else expect me to fit neatly into their ideas of what acceptable is. I wore shorts every day in Hobart except for when I was required to wear slacks for Rachuig. The NT and NQ guys, on the other hand, wore slacks, jumpers and ski parkas every day. Who's right, and who's wrong? Nobody, just varying comfort zones.

For the last 8 years in Washington, I wore shorts and golf shirts to work every day, winter or summer. This was not standard dress code for Embassy employees, but once I convinced the Boss that I was much more comfortable and therefore more productive he let me go and as a result, I enjoyed my work, did a great job for the Embassy and was happy to stay there for 8 years. Now that I'm back here, wearing my "uniform" to work every day, I'm hot, uncomfortable and really dislike coming to work. So much so, that I'm seriously considering changing jobs just so I can wear more comfortable attire to work.

Same goes for bowling. I feel the heat very badly and sweat rather profusely, but especially when the wearing of slacks is compulsory. Bowling in Darwin at Arafura nearly wiped me out. I agree that tailored slacks and collared shirts should be the norm for Rachuig and perhaps even nationally ranked tournaments, but for league and local derbies, who cares. No one is going to say, "I'm not going to bowl in the city championships if they let people bowl in shorts", more than likely, you'll get people like me that say, hey I might bowl in that because I can wear shorts and be comfortable. For all you people that don't sweat and can wear heavyweight materials all day while bowling, I'm very envious and I wish I could do the same, but my body type is far different to yours. The only time I have ever been comfortable bowling in slacks was at the National Bowling Stadium in Reno during the US nationals where the A/C was very efficient. Sadly that is the exception rather than the rule. Most A/C units in bowling centres worldwide are crappy at best.

I understand that I am a bit of an anomaly, and I've dealt with my discomfort most of my life, but I will say that it has always annoyed me that women get to bowl in shorts, skirts, skorts or whatever and the men have been forced to wear long pants. Make it fair for everyone and have a bit of consideration for the folks that feel the heat out there. Imagine if there was a rule that said you couldn't wear long pants or a jumper until the temperature dropped below 5 degrees and tell me whether you would still bowl in that tournament?

I know I've been rambling, and most of you probably haven't even read this far but as I said at the beginning, I feel very strongly on this subject.

In conclusion, I wholeheartedly think that Men should be allowed to wear shorts during tournament play, except for uniform events such as Rachuig, and televised events (if we even have those anymore). By all means, set a standard, but spell it out in plain English so that everyone knows. Tailored shorts only, no denim etc policy. Comfort and skill should be the focus here, not who looks the best and can survive the heat the longest. I know we are trying to raise the profile and level of professionalism of the sport, but the problems lie far deeper than what bowlers are wearing in tournaments.

Jan (The Polar Bear) Nordin

Interesting poll Porto.
I know we are trying to raise the profile and level of professionalism of the sport, but the problems lie far deeper than what bowlers are wearing in tournaments.
Jan (The Polar Bear) Nordin

This I agree with 100%

Rob

I agree there should be some form of uniform code, and I believe it should include tailored dress shorts.

Then again, let's make it uniformly easy - who needs clothes anyway.. would save space in the travel bag..

Can i vote for Air-Con???? I think that would fix this appropriately. Aim the air-con to the players area's, instead of to the back where all the spectators are (doing nothing, but freezing) while the bowlers are melting and not feeling the air-con. As Cow said in a previous post, if the air-con was good enough then people could get through a day in pants easily. The sport needs credibility, although these problems could lie deeper than just the attire, why take a step back when we need to go forward.... Just my opinion

I've bowled in local tournaments in the past where some bowlers were wearing boardies and tanktops and it looked pretty shoddy to say the least.
That's fine for league or practice but not tournaments.
I can't see a problem with shorts so long as they are tailored and look professional.
There should be that option to be able to wear them if the centre's too hot because the aircon's failed or you suffer badly in the heat as in Jan's case.
Personally I could never bowl in anything other than slacks - even in 35C+ heat inside Moonah during summer at times - I always find jeans, trackie daks and shorts very uncomfortable to bowl in.

to kace ....

wasnt a bite! more a comment! :)

and i did say not to go on the 'local' bowls club! depends which one you go to down here, some are 'young' clubs, some are old!

back to the subject. shorts, definately yes. just have a confirmed set of guidelines australia wide of what is and what isnt acceptable.

I agree there should be some form of uniform code, and I believe it should include tailored dress shorts.
Then again, let's make it uniformly easy - who needs clothes anyway.. would save space in the travel bag..[/QUOTE]
hahah some of the blokes might get even more carry ;)

Back
Top Bottom