Shorts... Or No Shorts???

• Shorts

Votes: 220 83.0%
  • No Shorts

Votes: 45 17.0%

• Total voters

Porto

TotalCOOL
I was just wondering which side people are on in the wearing of shorts arguement. It seems different tournament directors have different views on people wearing shorts. For instance in the National Youth Cup this year I was able to wear shorts but next year I have been told that I am not able to.
I have been told that the wearing of shorts by men this weekend in the Brunswick Youth Cup is not acceptable but it is for ladies. When men and ladies are in the same division for the tournament and are facing temperatures of 35 degrees outside I find it totally unfair... Just wondering on other peoples views.

Good argument, I will be interested to see where this one will go. Personally, I think if its good for one, its good for all.

I have been told that the wearing of shorts by men this weekend in the Brunswick Youth Cup is not acceptable but it is for ladies.

Gender Discrimination ??

Hopefully Your Imformation Porto is incorrect but if not I'd Be interested to know the reasoning behind it

I have seen Frilingos in shorts and it’s not pretty...Pants for him and shorts for everyone else...;)

Porto after seeing what state you were in on Sunday, you were in no state to even know where you were let alone what you were wearing…:D :D

Just a general query on the subject of "gender discrimination", it is pretty much recognised across the board now that women are permitted to wear dress trousers in a tournament if they wish?
Anyway... shorts look scruffy. Sorry. lol.

I, like porto, have worn shorts in a number of tournaments this year based on the weather, and all tournament directors have allowed them with the exception of Fairfield youth and Brunswick Youth. The same answer i get from tournament directors is "Until such guidelines are drawn up to correctly describe which shorts are acceptable, the men will be required to wear dress pants, also, the issue of which socks are acceptable."

Whilst i agree that the comfort side of things, shorts are better, we are trying to promote tenpin as a high profile sport that looks professional. And when people walk into a bowling alley and see 95% of competitors wearing dress pants and the odd ones wearing shorts it doesnt give them a good impression of our sport being professional.

Edit: Just so noone is sonfused, thi8s is matt watson, the sign in from chris' account o my own didnt go through right oops :S

I agree with Porto that shorts should be allowed BUT they mustr be TAYLORED shirts as some people do not know the concept of TAYLORED on both side of the gender pool

Jeanette

It's kinda weird, because I have the same issue with not being allowed to wear dress pants in a competition, being female. I have a lot of problems with my right knee, and don't like looking at it, so the obvious solution would be to have long pants, but the standard team uniforms are often skirts or shorts for the girls. I think the guys should have a bit more option as to what they can wear, though.

i have seen some good shorts and some very bad examples of shorts.

if they are tailored or dress shorts then i dont see why men cant wear shorts.

a couple of guys wore shorts in hobart for the adult nationals. they were very untidy and inappropriate and shouldnt have been allowed to bowl in them.

but if guys can get dress/tailored neat shorts i dont see why they cant.

great poll porto, good luck with it tho, as you said, some tournament directors have different views.

cheers!
martina

a couple of guys wore shorts in hobart for the adult nationals. they were very untidy and inappropriate and shouldnt have been allowed to bowl in them.

I agree Martina - they looked shocking, those 2 guys showed absolutely no respect to the tournament, officials and their fellow bowlers.

They looked as if they had been down the beach and decided to come for a throw on the way home. The TBA officials should have picked them up on it they were so bad.

Tailored or dress shorts - fantastic idea, but standards do have to be met.

Max

I say dress pants as they look more professional not mention i dont think it would be a good sight to see me in shorts

Matthew Lambrick

Being from sunny and damn hot NQ!! I like the idea of being able to wear shorts, however they must be nice tailored shorts.

I am not into the whole discrimination thing, but I feel if it is good enough for girls to wear shorts, then the guys should have this option as well.

Just my 2c worth

Cheers

Steve :D

My vote is to keep some semblance of uniformity in the sport, therefore NO SHORTS on male bowlers.

with all this talk of gender equality, does that mean the guys have the option to wear skirts? :p

Enf...

Initially, I thought no, but I think that some flexibility needs to be allowed for climate. It's like wearing a suit in summer because you've got air-con. Just plain stupid and warming the planet to boot for a tired convention.

As always, there's a thatsaid... That said, dress shorts for both men and women and only in summer months or hot climates. The TD should still have the right of veto if they feel that a player's attire is inappropriate and Billy Gardner's loud tailored pants must be allowed! ;-)

Cheers,
Jason

It gets awfully hot in summer in most places of australia, and its inpracticle to expect people playing sport to wear long pants.

I think shorts as long as their a decent length and not board shorts should be allowed, weather their, cargo, demin or 3/4 as long as their neat.

Back
Top Bottom