Position on the wearing of shorts in tournaments

Shorts... Or No Shorts???

• Shorts

Votes: 220 83.0%
  • No Shorts

Votes: 45 17.0%

• Total voters
Tailored shorts should be allowed
Chin Woodville might be new & Yes a much better centre - but its still has the old crappy aircon unit.
Dave

I bowl Woodville Monday nights & the Air-Conditioning is great. To tell you the truth people dont pay that much attention to the temp in the bowl because its always comfortable while you bowl. If anything its the people who arent bowling that are complaining about the temp (TO COOL).

Im sure they replaced the Air-Conditioning after the roof fell in during the fire. It was probably the s.h.i.t.t.y Air-Con that caused the fire.

Like to see you in shorts Chin Chin.........

Probably as good as me...........

Cheers

Tony

It will be interesting to see what the weather will be like for S.A. Cup in January (Middle Summer). Bowled league couple weeks ago at Cross Rd Bowl on a 33c day, 4 man team. Was like bowling in a Sauna. Air conditioner blew up months & months ago & nobody has got off there arse's to do anything to fix it.
I hope the tournament comittee will show some common sense if its 38 degrees and no Air-con.
Maybe they should look at Woodville again for the S.A. Cup. Brand new centre.

2006 the Air Con was busted and it was over 30 degrees.

a few big industrial fans were brought in to help assist the bowlers. These were behind the players area, and all day bowlers were standing right in front of them.

But in saying that, the then TD advised all bowlers on this forum that due to the heat expected and the Air Con problems Shorts would be allowed.

http://www.totalbowling.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=9042&page=9&highlight=sa+cup

Common sense for the conditions

Comfort and skill should be the focus here, not who looks the best and can survive the heat the longest.
Jan (The Polar Bear) Nordin

I don't agree that comfort and skill should be the focus rather accuracy, stamina, strength, skill and determination among other things. I would say that a player's comfort should be apart of their stamina, strength (mental and physical) and determination as that is part of the point why people train - to condition themselves for what is required to go out and be competitive for whatever event they may be competing in. The temp for an event is just one of the factors a bowler needs to overcome in order to perform their best on the day/s.

Just my opinion,
Bobba

I think shorts should be allowed. Last year in the Country Championships at Orange the air conditioning wasnt working and bowling a masters wearing trousers was not too pleasant. A few years previous when it was in Tamworth, we were having a heatwave and the centre allowed shorts. I think it should be the bowlers choice.

Like to see you in shorts Chin Chin.........
Probably as good as me...........
Cheers
Tony

At least I own a pair.

2006 the Air Con was busted and it was over 30 degrees.
a few big industrial fans were brought in to help assist the bowlers. These were behind the players area, and all day bowlers were standing right in front of them.
But in saying that, the then TD advised all bowlers on this forum that due to the heat expected and the Air Con problems Shorts would be allowed.

Common sense for the conditions

Thought it had been that long. Wasnt sure. Just goes to show, been over 12 months and they still havent done anything about it. Probably holding out for a fire so they can claim new Air-Con on the insurance.

I suppose circulating hot air is better than nothing. Least it will be pleasant for the spectators. Maybe they should charge them $300+ to watch.

It should definitely be bowlers choice. SA Cup this year proves that alone. I've never drunk that much water (7 litres in qualifying) due to it being so sticky.

Like stated earlier, the dress code isn't the only (or biggest) problem with bowling in this country.

Mind you, the cafe's of centres would make a killing if shorts weren't allowed from all the extra drink sales!!

If it's hot enough in an alley to warrant wearing shorts, wouldn't turning the air-con up a bit be more preferable for everyone? It'd do away with those awful sweaty palms as well.
Lots of quotes along this line. It seems to be a major issue. Some centres keep their a/c at a comfortable temperature for the staff, which is too warm to bowl, but most just bought the cheapest system they could get and (surprise, surprise!) got what they paid for. So they get false economy and lose customers in the process. Maybe getting an engineer to specify how much cooling you need in the first place would allow companies to tender based on a system that would actually work and serve you well for a long time. Measure twice - cut once.

I think a dress code including tailored shorts would be a bonus. Somebody suggested a length above the knee as a specification. Good idea! But if anyone suggests walk socks, get out of the 1950's! Personally, I like those little shoe height sport socks when I wear shorts. They are tidy and it's amazing the difference having cool ankles makes when it's hot!

I, for one, as a Senior, (and have some extra weight on) am not able to wear skirts, or, now, long pants, and am only able to wear 3/4 length (just below the knees) tailored dress shorts. I wear these year-round, and, yes, in the FREEZING cold of winter here, I still wear them, as I find them comfortable, and aren't hanging around my ankles, and needing to be pulled up all the time. I cannot wear belts, either. For those wondering where I get mine from, I get them from Target, of all places, and yes they have belt loops, so you can wear one if you wish. I also wear the anklets, as I, too, find them comfortable. Most tourneys I have bowled in recently have allowed women to wear dress shorts, or skorts. Suzi:)

Are ladies allowed to wear skirts?

Not those tiny things, but a skirt of an acceptable length, possibly black or navy?

Yes ladies have always been allowed to wear skirts.

Recently they have been allowed to wear tailored shorts or slacks.

The answer is simple. if guy's ain't allowed to wear shorts women ain't allowed to wear them.

It is sexual discrimination, they have it in the workforce, bowling is no different.

Last year at the S.A cup the air conditioner wasn't working and it was stifling in there, i hope this year it's working ok, if not i will be wearing shorts or pulling out of the tourny.

If bowlers are now allowed to wear sponsored T shirts, then we should be allowed to wear shorts.

Alan

The answer is simple. if guy's ain't allowed to wear shorts women ain't allowed to wear them.
It is sexual discrimination, they have it in the workforce, bowling is no different.
Last year at the S.A cup the air conditioner wasn't working and it was stifling in there, i hope this year it's working ok, if not i will be wearing shorts or pulling out of the tourny.
If bowlers are now allowed to wear sponsored T shirts, then we should be allowed to wear shorts.
Alan

It's ok Alan, you are allowed to wear shorts for the SA Cup - that has also helped my decision to bowl...just a bit.

Cheers
Michael

Hmmm i wonder if any of you used to bowl in the "old days" you know back in the 70's and 80's when a bowler look half decent the ladies work skirts the men wore trousers and no one bowled without a collar and believe it or not the air con never worked then, i remember bowling at Clayfield in the Ladies Sunshine Special it was as hot as hell, nobody whinged we just went down the bar and had a drink !!!
Shorts are ok if you have the bod to wear them (men and women)
Jan Nordin have not heard that name for years !!!! Jan if your out there try and guess who it is, here is a clue "let me outa here my brain hurts" lol

Back
Top Bottom