World Cup 2006

worst decision ever they should have been down to 9 men also. but we all should have known that we wouldn't have been allowed to go any further. directive from FIFA. sorry jase have to disagree there with the evaluation of the dive i give it a big 10

I hope Ukraine get through tonight and then give those Italians a smackdown they'll never forget.

The Italians are dancing on the streets here now in our own country, but I hope they can swallow it when some of us chuck a massive party for when they get handed a lesson. I really really want to see Italy go down now.

For the remainder of the tournament..

Go Germany and England!!!

I can't believe that, what a load of *($&(#@$!^)&
But alas thats football.

Lets just hope all the money we're gonna get goes to the right places to really make the sport get off its feet.

We were robbed....

A world class referee would've shown Fabio Grosso a yellow card for simulation and the game would've gone to extra time, allowing the Socceroos to have a real crack at winning the match against a tiring Italian defence, but it wasn't to be. In true Italian fashion, Grosso worked the ball into the box and went down without any contact whatsoever by Lucas Neill. He tried it on for size and got rewarded. What made it even more disgusting was the fact his teammates rushed over and were hugging him for his effort. It was tragic for Lucas Neill, who was our best player throughout the tournament due to his tireless efforts in defence and superb passing.

I was extremely proud of the way our boys took the decision. Many other nations would've rushed toward the referee and pushed him in protest. They took it like men and despite their heartbreak, they kept their composure. I'll never forget the devastation on Lucas Neill's face or the anguish in Mark Viduka's voice in the post match interview. If this injustice happened to England, you can bet your life thousands of their fans would be walking through Kaiserslautern, smashing everything in site and attacking rival fans and any police which stood in their way. Thankfully Australians are much better than that and are a generally tolerant bunch of people.

What this team has done for football in Australia cannot be measured. They will come home as heros and go down in history as the greatest Socceroos squad in history. They deserve every accolade and their names will never be forgotten.

Socceroos forever.............

SHAFTED! absolutely shafted!

That call was utter crap!

anyway, like was just said, thats football.

Socceroos did a great job to get that far. They should be proud like Australia is of them. Poor Neil, thats just crap tho.

Anyway, 3 cheers for the socceroos... hip hip..... hooray! :)

Well done guys! Bring on 2010 :D

Disgraceful decision. A World Cup full of poor refereeing decisions really.

We were down the Waggon around the corner here watching it, and the whole place went nuts when the penalty was paid, and when Totti scored, the silence was deafening and everyone filed out into the cold.
There was one Italian in the whole place which was packed to the rafters, he got outta there VERY quickly, some of the Aussie supporters with flags draped over them decided to walk to the Italian Club over the back of the warehouses over the road from me to chant various slogans at the Iti's - not sure if any trouble erupted, but there were a lot milling about.

The Socceroos have a lot to be proud of, did themselves and the country proud.

Disappointed that the Socceroos had to lose like that, but being half Italian, I'm still happy. Go Italia in the finals :D

Great post Boston Represent.

Two things for discussion:

1. What was the "thumb in the mouth" by the goal scorer meant to represent?
2. Apparently Channel 7 have footage of the Italian team PRACTICING taking dives at training.

Anyone like to run with these?

Feral

Don't know about the thumb in mouth thing mate.... but if he is referring back to the Shakespearean day (which i highly doubt). Biting the thumb is actually a gesture that is similar to our everyday "lets stick our middle finger up at them" gesture.... I know that is what it means but i'm not sure if he meant it that way....
as for the dive..... that was just disgraceful!! He should be ashamed of himself and the rest of the team should be as well for congratulating and encouraging these sorta non-sportsman like behaviour...
As a side note.... regarding the practicing taking dive comment..... aren't soccer players taught to stay down and groan for at least 30 seconds in the case of any body contact? ;) well we now know if you play for Italy, that is more important to learn than anything else!
R

Congrats Socceroos, done all of us proud :)

ms said:
SHAFTED! absolutely shafted!
That call was utter crap!
anyway, like was just said, thats football.
Socceroos did a great job to get that far. They should be proud like Australia is of them. Poor Neil, thats just crap tho.
Anyway, 3 cheers for the socceroos... hip hip..... hooray! :)
Well done guys! Bring on 2010 :D

Totally Agree with Marty!

and that dive............. well we all know our thoughts don't we !

Boston_Represent - Great way to put it together, I was totally speechless this morning .. didn't know what to say ..
I quoted your post and put it on ESPN forum ..

Something to learn I would say .. to avoid it in the future .. not to copy :)

The winner of the Best Actor Award is, the Italian soccer players...... =D> =D> =D> =D>

A world class referee would've shown Fabio Grosso a yellow card for simulation and the game would've gone to extra time, allowing the Socceroos to have a real crack at winning the match against a tiring Italian defence, but it wasn't to be. In true Italian fashion, Grosso worked the ball into the box and went down without any contact whatsoever by Lucas Neill. He tried it on for size and got rewarded. What made it even more disgusting was the fact his teammates rushed over and were hugging him for his effort. It was tragic for Lucas Neill, who was our best player throughout the tournament due to his tireless efforts in defence and superb passing.

I was extremely proud of the way our boys took the decision. Many other nations would've rushed toward the referee and pushed him in protest. They took it like men and despite their heartbreak, they kept their composure. I'll never forget the devastation on Lucas Neill's face or the anguish in Mark Viduka's voice in the post match interview. If this injustice happened to England, you can bet your life thousands of their fans would be walking through Kaiserslautern, smashing everything in site and attacking rival fans and any police which stood in their way. Thankfully Australians are much better than that and are a generally tolerant bunch of people.

What this team has done for football in Australia cannot be measured. They will come home as heros and go down in history as the greatest Socceroos squad in history. They deserve every accolade and their names will never be forgotten.

Socceroos forever.............

A perfect post. I 100% agree with everything. Neill was our player of the tournament and none of the boys deserved that after their exceptional effort, especially against Japan and Croatia. I just hope the we know get the respect we deserve in our own country and around the world.
Disgraceful. A penalty like that in the last 10 seconds of A WORLD CUP KNOCKOT STAGE??? The ref didn't even show Neill a card. I thought we had finally got a ref to play fair... It seem's he was just biding his time...

Later Da Cowman!

That is right up there with rivaldo's acadamy award winning performance of 2002. Nice to see that the match fixing scandal is not only in the italian league matches.

That message by KnuckleHead was robbed of correct grammar and spelling, plain and simple lol, j/k

ive gotta say not being a regular soccer fan that the sport is a farce

how can someone be rewarded for lying and thats really what that dirty bugger did when he tripped.

problem is our game here at home (LEAGUE) is getting the same the way that flithy cat lockyer took a dive sunday at brookvale.

Sport isnt what it used to be, theres not as much honour as there once was.

Very unfortunate ending, but one must consider we could'nt put them away with only 10 players. I think the Ref did'nt want to hang around.

willey

Back
Top Bottom